Silent Place for Stealth <tag Cehrazad>

The lands around New Atricis that are regarded as Atricis' new territory. Not as big as their previous protective range, but still lots of space and wilds to explore. Dragon Flights and Wher Runs also occur across these lands.
LdyPayne

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:29 pm

tag Cehrazad

It had been quite fortunate he Impressed a dragon who liked adventure and exploring, otherwise he would never have known about this unexpected find in the jungle not far from the Weyr. It was a shallow cave somebody must have carved out long ago to be a cothold but abandoned it. Why it was now unoccupied and hadn't been for quite some time judging by the overgrowth of vegetation, I'ent had no idea nor did he care. What he did care about is it was idea to work on the skills Locke had been teaching him without drawing needless attention to himself.

Shireth was keeping watch outside the cave, ready to alert him if somebody showed up but the green had long become bored and was focused more on stalking random denisons of the Jungle. With her focus on this she ended up moving further away from the cave than was wise, at least when it came to keeping a sharp eye out. She could still sense I'ent and would know if he was in any danger in an instant and be back in a heartbeat. Not that she expected any threats this close to the Weyr even if they were off the main patrol paths.

Today I'ent hoped to practice moving silently. Ideally he should do this in a more rural setting, like inside his apartment or the busy corridors of the Weyr but he didn't feel comfortable moving around other people like he planned to stab somebody in the pack at any moment. Not that he would nor did he think Locke had that in mind when he would meld into the shadows so perfectly.
Ainokesshou

Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:31 pm

Cehrazad knew there were corners of the Weyr left unexplored, and gossip left unlearned. There was plenty for her to do in the Weyr at night, but she had been restless lately, tired of hearing so many giggling comments about who was in which bed, and what the distant family members of Weyr residents were up to. She was quite good at sneaking around the Weyr at night, just as she had been quite good at sneaking around Walled Hold, but if she didn't look for ways to expand her skills, she thought they might atrophy without her noticing.

Completely aside from that, there was something so appealing about the forest. She might not hear any gossip out here, but there was still plenty to learn. She had a little trouble learning to climb trees instead of walls - the handholds she was searching for were completely different from the windowsills, odd corners, and uneven bricks she was used to. She had even more trouble moving quietly in the trees, and Nahumth wasn't helping there, taking short hops of flight to stay relatively near her rider while the woman tried to learn how to go from tree to tree. There were plenty of places where it just didn't seem possible, especially since Cehrazad was a much more cautious learner now that she had a dragon than she had been as a child.

She was moving toward the ground in just that situation, when she saw the opening to the cave. Her natural curiosity took over, and she crept forward without thinking about the dangers that could be hidden out of sight. She was quiet enough that it wouldn't be a problem. Quiet as a cat, barely a shadow....

CRACK!

Quiet as a city girl trying to learn to sneak in a forest. There was a twig under those leaves, just the right thickness to break loudly, and the woman tried to correct by slipping into a nearby bush, but if anything came out of the cave at that sound, the movement of the leaves behind her would probably give her away.
Quiloth     Elahrairath     Nahumth      
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
   Atumra       Panlovis     Galask  Gask                      
LdyPayne

Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:33 pm

The sound of a twig breaking may have gone unnoticed if it hadn't existed just before the cave which picked up the sound and through some design of the cave interior echoed loudly enough I'ent heard it instantly. He froze in place, tilting his head as he tried to locate the source of the noise. He had already determined the cave was abandoned by any living creature bigger than a tunnelsnake and he had killed the last one he found before he began his exercise. Even if he missed one they didn't break twigs like that when moving about.

Shireth, are you making noise out there? I'ent asked since he had left the green outside the cave and assumed she had stayed there.

<I'm not making any noise,> Shireth responded, her focus on the furry creature she was stalking as silently as she could. It took a whole two seconds before she realized what I'ent just asked her and what it meant. Rising up to her full height she turned and looked towards the cave and realized she had wondered off pretty fast. Hissing she leapt into the air and flew back to the cave, suddenly worried some deadly predator was stalking her precious one.

I'ent heard sounds of rustling only a few moments after he inquired if Shireth was outside moving around and it was enough to tell him whatever was outside, was far too small to be Shireth. The green could move pretty quickly if she wanted to but if she was where was suppose to be there wasn't any need for her to move that much. Striding to the cave entrance he scanned the area and couldn't see anything. More importantly he couldn't see Shireth. Just as he was about to angrily call her back the green landed in the small clearing before the cave with a solid thud.

<Here I am ready to protect you My Precious!> Shireth declared, head turning towards the cave then moving to sniff over I'ent to assure herself he was fine. >So what's making all that noise you detected?>

"You were suppose to keep watch!" I'ent told her firmly then scratched her eye-ridge as he could never be angry with her. "I don't know what made the sound but whatever it was ran off in that direction." I'ent pointed in the direction he heard rustling from.

Shireth turned and shoved her head into the undergrowth, unafraid of what may be hidden just beyond.
Ainokesshou

Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:55 pm

Well, what came out of the cave was quite surprising! Cehrazad recognized him, though the other greenrider from her weyrling class had always been rather standoffish. For a moment, she had been worried about those hidden dangers that she should have been thinking about in the first place, but I'ent wasn't a danger to her, although where was...?

She's coming, Nahumth informed her drily, just before Cehrazad saw and heard the thud of Shireth landing in the clearing. She went to greet her rider, and Cehrazad was as still as possible, trying not to draw attention. This was actually ideal practice, she told herself, because she didn't have anything to fear if they found her...

Well, there was nothing wrong with I'ent's ears. He directed his green to look in the very bushes Cehrazad was hiding in, and before she could announce herself, the woman found herself face to face with the green nosing around in the undergrowth. Well, more like face to belly, and she couldn't suppress a surprised giggle at the big green head right in front of her.

"Hello, Shireth," she said, awkwardly.

Shall I come down as well? Nahumth asked, cautious, and Cehrazad shook her head, though the wrong green would see the motion.

I don't think there's enough room in the clearing for both of you, she answered.
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
LdyPayne

Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:18 pm

I'ent watched as Shireth fearlessly stuck her head in the bushes he was sure the rustling had come from. He was expecting to hear the squeal or screech of some animal startled out of it's hiding place so it was quite a surprise when all he heard was a woman's voice.

Shireth on the other hand wasn't so surprised, she did recognize the scent of one of the riders of her clutchmate the moment she turned her head towards the bush. Tracking by the sense of smell wasn't her usual method of hunting or even finding people, most often she just searched for their minds, even then she wasn't any better at it than most dragons.

<I remember you,> Shireth responded to the woman only to see her shake her head. Shireth snorted at the human then pulled her head out of the bush to glance over at her rider. Shireth was certain the women wasn't a threat to her nor her Precious.

<It's Nahumth's rider hiding in the bush.> Shireth informed I'ent. >I don't think she believes I know her even though she knows me.>

I'ent blinked when Shireth told him it was a rider who was lurking in the bushes. He tried to remember who Nahumth was though the name did sound vaguely familiar. Before he could ask SHireth more the green gave him an image of the woman and dragon which was all the reminder he needed.

"Cehrazad..." he said the name then frowned, confused why the woman would be here of all places. Clearing his throat so he could speak more clearly he decided he might as well be polite. "I'm sorry if Shireth startled you...are you hurt Cehrazd?"
Ainokesshou

Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:00 am

LdyPayne wrote: <I remember you,>"
"Oh, I remember you, too, Shireth," Cehrazad answered softly. "How could I forget the other greens from my weyrling class. I was shaking my head at something Nahumth asked." She stepped out of the underbrush, and turned to face I'ent. She didn't know why he was wandering around outside the Weyr, but then she was also, so she could hardly press fro an answer.

"Nahumth asked if she should come down here as well, and I told her the clearing was too small for both of you," she continued, heading for a tree on the edge of the clearing, and leaning back against the trunk. She considered the lowest branch above her - too small to support her weight, except right at the base, but she might be able to use it to balance while she climbed to a higher one.

"I'm perfectly fine, I'ent, I was curious and heading to look at the cave when I made that noise with the twig, and remembered there could be predators out here besides our lovely partners." She ached her back, subtly scratching between her shoulderblades with the bark of the tree. "I can say it was a relief to see you come out, and not some wild feline."
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
LdyPayne

Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:21 pm

<Oh that's good. I would hate to be forgotten.> Shireth replied, moving back so Cehrazad could get out of the bush easily. >Oh, if Nahumth wants to join us I can easily move out of the clearing so she could land, then we can have a little adventure together.>

I'ent sighed in relief to hear Cehrazad wasn't hurt. He watched as she moved off to another tree and started examining it. At first he had no idea what she was doing that thought maybe she wanted to climb it. When she didn't and leaned against it instead he gave a shrug.

"It's a nice cave to do stuff in...some old cothold or something but long abandoned." He fell silent as Cehrazad arched her back to scratch against the tree. The movement of course emphasized her breast and I'ent was momentarily distracted before he realized what he was doing and started looking elsewhere. He had no idea if she was just itchy or trying to distract him or what but he wasn't going to ask.

"Sorry for startling you...and I am glad I wasn't a wild feline," I'ent trailed off unsure what he was trying to say. He shrugged again. "So...why are you out here if you are worried about wild felines?"
Ainokesshou

Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:17 pm

Cehrazad thought she noticed I'ent's gaze moving to her chest for a moment,and suppressed a smile. She actually hadn't been trying to seduce the other rider, but it was nice to know that he noticed her. She jumped up, grabbing the base of the branch she had been considering, frowning as she felt it give more than she intended. She dropped back down, dusting off her hands, and looking back at I'ent. "If it's a nice cave, then it's lucky nothing else has made a home of it," she said casually. "and I think we startled each other, so I'm sorry too."

She walked away from that tree, but most of the ones at the edge of the clearing were too young to have strong branches, even if they did have several that were low to the ground. "I wasn't worrying about felines, at least not until I was," she said, a little teasingly. "Obviously, sometimes I'm not quite as cautious as I should be," and she shook her head at the largest tree in the area. Part of it was dead, and it certainly wouldn't support her weight.

"But as to what I'm doing," and she returned to the first tree, grabbed the branch with a short hop, and used it to swing herself to a higher position, more hugging the trunk of the tree than climibing it, and only a few feet off the ground. "I think I've climbed everything in the Weyr. I climbed buildings in Walled Hold when I got restless," well, more when she needed to listen without being seen, "but I never got many chances to climb trees. I thought I should give it a try."

She hadn't been doing too badly at climbing trees, either, at least when she stayed in the old growth. Doing it silently, however? Well if she never mentioned that she was trying to, then she never had to be embarrassed at her dreadful failure.

Nahumth responded to her clutch sister directly, then. Thank you for the invitation, Shireth. I cannot help much when she climbs - she says it is not the same when I give her a boost - but I would love to explore with you.
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
LdyPayne

Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:35 am

He didn't know whether the cave was 'nice' other than the fact he would have been very pleased to have such a shelter back in Walled. It occurred to him Cehrazad may end up wanting this place for her own, if he gave any indication it was worth having so he cave an indifferent shrug.

"Not really a place for beasts to live in...but people abandoned it so not all that nice for living in." He decided to omit the fact it was a great place to practice in.

Her apology made him feel awkward so he simply nodded instead of responding. He wasn't used to women apologizing to him for any reason much less startling him. He listened as she talked about not being as cautious as she should be. It made him wonder if women were far safer in The Bottoms than men like him. He would never have lived this long if he wasn't cautious.

"Always good to be cautious...too many dangers out here," he advised weakly, looking down at his feet. I'ent was surprised he even made the suggestion, who was he to give advise to a woman?

<You're my Precious, that makes you perfect to give advice.> Shireth pointed out. She could never understand why her rider would get so uncomfortable around the females of his kind. He was never like that around her.

The way Cehrazad kept sizing up trees seemed strange to I'ent right up to the point when she climbed up a tree and announced that was what she was out here doing. He hadn't considered climbing trees himself, never saw any need for it. There weren't any trees in The Bottoms but there were plenty of buildings. I'ent tended to keep low and both feet on the ground in The Bottoms. Here at Atricia the only climbing he ever did was on Shireth.

"I didn't think climbing was something people could enjoy as much as you clearly do," I'ent observed. He looked up to where Cehrezad was now perched. "Definitely not many trees in Walled...not anywhere I lived."

<These little trees are too small for us to climb anyway,> Shireth responded to her clutch sister. She considered what they could climb but decided it wasn't as much an adventure as what she had been doing before the unexpected interruption. <Come on, I was tracking a dangerous beast when my Precious called me here. Together we can pick up the trail and dispatch it.>
Ainokesshou

Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:59 am

Cehrazad found it frustrating that she always seemed to be on the wrong foot with I'ent. She had once built a career on appearing harmless, and inviting. People were supposed to feel comfortable and safe around her, but for some reason I'ent had never looked at her that way. She didn't think it was some sort of instinctive awareness that she was more than she appeared; after all, she had genuinely never been dangerous except to those with criminal secrets to keep.

Even then, if the 'crime' was one that she thought should be legal, the secret was safe. She was sure that Sha'ryar had noticed that she never divulged any minor crimes, and he had never pressured her to. "It IS always good to be cautious," she said, "but I never needed to be careful of animals in Walled Hold. The predators there were humans," but then he probably knew that. She had been thoroughly aware of some of the worst predators during her time there, and developed a sense for which people were hiding a viciousness beyond what was acceptable even in the Bottoms.

She considered his statement about enjoying climbing. Did she enjoy it? It had seemed necessary in Walled Hold, she had needed to be somewhere hidden while listening in on secrets, but was it really necessary now? What height could you ever need to reach that I could not carry you to, Nahumth asked her, and that was a good point. She didn't NEED to climb anymore, and chose not to consider whether it had truly been necessary in her old life.

"It is nice," she said slowly, "to be somewhere high and quiet, able to see everything that is happening without being seen yourself. And sometimes the views are quite lovely." Some high spots were the best for looking at the stars, others for watching the people of the Weyr moving about. And no one ever seemed to look up and notice her, even when she wasn't particularly hidden.

Nahumth answered her clutchsister with some alarm. A dangerous beast? Is it dangerous to my rider? Where was it? She wasn't diverting Cehrazad's attention yet, as Shireth had not seemed worried, but Nahumth was not as calm about wild animals as she had grown to be about her rider's fondness for heights.
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage