A Hunting We Will Go ~ Tag: I'ent/LdyPayne

The lands around New Atricis that are regarded as Atricis' new territory. Not as big as their previous protective range, but still lots of space and wilds to explore. Dragon Flights and Wher Runs also occur across these lands.
Parker
Site Admin
Title: High Ebilness
Pronouns: He/Him

Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:58 pm

Wraith, for all he was cruel enough to play with his food like a feline sometimes does, was not a messy eater. In fact he was quite prim about it as he made sure to keep his lips curled back while he tore pieces of meat of, that way he got as little blood on his muzzle as possible. I will wish for another as well. Good, see that you do. No point in making a kill if you injure or kill yourself in the process. While one kill would often times be enough for him, the wild herdbeasts had a different taste than those back at the weyr so one of them was never enough. This was a delicacy in his mind.

A small growl was given as she landed nearby to him, but she was far enough away that was all she was given. The chimera finished up the last few bites of his food and licked what blood was on his lips. I am ready. Let us kill once again. Wraith said and then launched into the air. The herd had moved by now scared by the attack and the smell of blood. This area they were in was pocketed with a few meadows. From high in the air they could see where the heard had moved to and followed suit. Wraith, this time, didn't wait to let her make a kill first. He didn't waste any time in diving down towards the herd. They were more skittish now, so it was a bit harder to get the drop on them, but Wraith managed to snag a young one that had tripped on its ungainly legs in an attempt to bolt away.

"Goddess, I would hope not. Being open about that sort of thing in Walled is like asking to have the shit beat out of you. Never mind some of my clients I had at the brothel would have been the ones to throw the first punch. Two-faced bastards." Locke stated with derision. People like that sickened him. "We are very happy. I think he's even happier now that we have children of our own to raise....even if I did get them without informing him first." He chuckled.

"Avoiding fights is generally the best idea, but unfortunately I don't think that will be the case with this job." Locke had a feeling in the pit of his stomach that what he was hoping to achieve would only be done so with a lot of bloodshed. If that truly was the case though, he wanted the blood to only be on his hands. Not on I'ent's and not on Kent's. "However, I am going to do my damnedest to make sure you stay out of any fighting if possible. Weyrling lessons teach you the honorable way to fight, but I will show you some maneuvers that will give you an advantage that aren't quite so honorable." There was no honor in the people they would be going up against, to think they'd fight honorably was laughable. Better to have an advantage and live than be honorable and die.

"Knowing how to avoid attention goes a very long way. Blending in with the crowd, keeping your head down, all very important skills for a thief. If you'd like to..ah..." He chuckled a little. For all he could be an arrogant and cocky son of a bitch, what he was going to say next he'd never suggested to anyone. "If you'd like to train under me it would be an honor to teach you some of the skills I know."
Image Image Image Image Image
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Car'vis and Corentivis | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

.::..::..::..::..::..
PC Character Tracker | Marks Tracker | NPC Stash
LdyPayne

Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:28 am

The growl from Wraith did bring a look from the young green but she didn't comment on it. Let him be cranky, she wasn't about to steal his food anyway. A part of her was curious if he was all growl and attitude or if she jumped him she could pin him to the ground like she did with some of the blues in her Weyrling group. That was playing though, she didn't think Wraith would take it as play if she tried knocking him to the ground.

<We may have to hunt a little to find the herd but I am confident we can find them,> Shireth responded, taking to the air and gliding high about the ground so she could see far and wide. It didn't take them long to find the herd and she dove down only a wing beat behind the chimera. She didn't dive down as quickly as he did, instead she headed towards the far tree line then circled back, hoping to drive some of the herd away from the trees and back out in the open before she struck.

The move nearly cost her a chance at a second kill but an old mare lagging behind the herd failed to make it to the treeline as the rest of the herd. When Shireth dropped out of the sky to cut her off, she reared and spun away, heading towards the center of the clearing, eyes rolling madly. Shireth beat her wings and caught up to the old mare and quickly dropped down on top of her. Because she wasn't as high she didn't instantly break the animals back but was able to pin her down under her weight. Bawling in fear the mare tried to escape but Shireth was far too heavy.

Normally Shireth would have bit into the animal's neck to kill her with the force of her jaws but remembering how Wraith didn't make a clean kill she wondered if he had a reason for it. It was barely thirty seconds however before Shireth decided she didn't like the panicked notices the creature was making so she struck sharply with her jaws, ripping out the mare's throat. Smelling and tasting blood she felt her hunger rise up and Shireth turned her attention on eating. Normally she didn't eat two whole beasts herself but something in the taste of these wild animals had her more hungry than usual so she gorged till her sides bulged. Licking her lips she stepped away from the remains and looked for Wraith.

<That certainly hit the spot...I am so full now all I want to do is find somewhere nice and warm to stretch out and digest.>

I'ent had heard about Locke finding a newborn and a pair of twin girls which he brought home to raise. Having two parents to take care of them must be nice, I'ent never knew who his mother was or even if she was alive or dead. The one time he had asked his father all he learned was she didn't want him and that was all that mattered.

"How are they doing now that they have a home and parents to take care of them?" I'ent asked, more to get off the topic of brothers and what Locke was forced to do with men and women who came to the brothel. I'ent wasn't so nieve not to realize it was sex and likely rough and unpleasant sex compared to what he heard about romance and making love by a few of the older Weyrlings and others at the Weyr. I'ent just couldn't picture himself being with a woman in such a way but he couldn't picture himself being with a man either. Not because he was against it or found the idea distasteful but more because he just didn't feel the desire.

The only fighting I'ent had known before he was taught a different way by the Weyrlingmaster was pretty much anything goes street fighting. I'ent thought it was stupid to be bowing and waiting for one's opponent to be ready before beginning a fight. If he was going to fight he would fight with only one thing in mind, to survive which was probably why he was yelled at for punching one of his opponents who had pressed in to close and it seemed like the best way to take advantage.

"When I did have to fight, I fought to survive...I don't think I will want to use too much of what I was taught in Weyrling Class if it came down to fighting. It may work for some very formal duel that isn't a fight for survival but it all seems a bit impractical given the sort of fighting I have seen in The Bottoms." I'ent wanted Locke to understand he wasn't one to be squeamish, he just preferred to avoid a fight not because he fought honorably or even really knew what that meant, but because he just preferred the less riskier path of avoiding a fight if possible. "I will be happy to learn whatever you want to teach me. My father taught me a little about fighting but most of it I just picked up by watching others."
Parker
Site Admin

Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:08 pm

Wraith, having only gotten the one small creature, had left it where he'd taken it down and then leaped into the air after another. One small baby animal was not going to be enough to satisfy his hunger. Shireth had made her another kill swiftly, but the actions of both of them had most certainly put the herd in a frenzy. It took him a moment to pick out the most likely of prey. One that would be the most vulnerable. He finally found one and went in for the kill. A snap and a brief bleat of terror and Wraith had him a fully meal. He took that kill back to the previous one and began to dine till his heart's content. Well...if I creature like Wraith could do anything to make his heart content.

His own belly was round from how much he'd stuffed himself, but it would be a good long time before he would want for more. Wraith was cleaning the last bit of blood from his talons when Shireth approached him again. Not even he could bring himself to be too grumpy after a great meal like that. That was good. I know of a spot we can sun until our riders catch up to us. He explained and then took off to lead her to a large rock that they could rest on for a moment. It was dangerous to stay out here too long, but a small nap would not hurt, and it wasn't as if they could leave without I'ent and Locke anyways. Wraith settled on what he thought was the most comfortable spot and left the young green to find her own spot.

"Well..." Locke began before flicking the end of the ash off of his cigarette. "Colten, our baby boy, won't remember ever not having a family or living in the Bottoms. Thank the Goddesses for that small relief." As far as Locke was concerned he would make sure it was as if Colten hadn't even been born there. He wasn't going to lie to him, per say, but the important thing was that he had Locke and Kent and they would love him completely. "Faith and Hope, after the initial excitement of food and warmth were a bit more lost. They still think they need to work and clean and do chores in order to get even a bite of food." The heartbreak in Locke's eyes were genuine. "So it's a bit of a struggle to gently reassure them that all they need to do is be children. To play, have fun, get into mischief without worrying someone is going to take a piece of your hide out for it. They're of an age that they could start lessons with a harper, so I may see about getting them into a small class with others. I'm just afraid of....well kids being kids. It's going to be a slower process with them being so much older, but I know they'll get there eventually." Locke was very glad he was a grounded rider and could spend more time with them than if he wasn't.

"Seems impractical? That's because it is." Locke stated as if anyone with their right mind would agree with him. "The fact that you see that means you're already a step or two in the right direction." He smiled at the young lad before giving him a couple friendly slaps on the shoulder with his knuckles. "Not that I'd doubt a fellow street rat, of course. Let the weyr blind themselves to how a real fight looks and feels like. We, at least, know the truth of it." A deep drag finished out the last of his cigarette before it was tossed and stepped into the ground. "I'll be happy to teach you whatever you want to know. Pick a subject, anyone, and we'll start with it first." He raised up a halting finger. "But let's be sure to not cut into your weyrling lessons. Goddess knows I know how precious the weyr thinks their weyrling training is." There was a tone of derision in his voice, but he felt he had the right. After all, he had trained Wraith far ahead of any of their classmates.
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Car'vis and Corentivis | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

LdyPayne

Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:07 pm

Shireth hummed softly in contentment as the Chimera told her he knew of a spot they could sun till their riders returned. <Lead on Wraith my friend,> Shireth told him cheerfully. Once they arrived at the rock she didn't mind letting the older dragon pick his spot first. Circling the large rock she spotted a good spot to stretch out on herself. It was close enough to Wraith she could feel safe but not so close she worried she may be crowding him. He certainly didn't seem the type to be snuggled.

It felt good to lie down and feel the hot sun over her hide but Shireth didn't sleep right away, instead she scanned the area, enjoying the scents and new things she could see. The large meal she had however soon had her eyes dropping and despite wanting to stay awake and just observe all the new things around them, Shireth was soon fast asleep.

I'ent could remember how life was with his father but the idea of having two parents to look out for him was quite alien. Cohen will have two older sisters and two parents to take care of him and no recollection of a hard life as it would have been in The Bottoms. The twins would remember and likely be glad to have a new life at the Weyr free of the torments they likely endured up to this point.

"Nothing wrong with them helping and they will learn they don't have to do so to get food," I'ent pointed out. "It took me months to stop hoarding food in my room as I was so certain a time will come when I had to pay for it and I didn't have much in the way of money as a Candidate. I probably would have continued hiding food in my Weyrling room if Shireth hadn't gotten into it and ate most of it. The Weyrlingmaster chewed me out about it while he helped me with Shireth when she got sick from it."

I'ent had felt pretty bad when Shireth had been so sick even though initially he was angry she had ate all his hoard of food. He had enough food to last him for a couple weeks tucked away but she ate it all. The moment he realized she was sick however, he forgot his anger and focused on her.

"They'll do fine in lessons, they are Bottoms kids, they're tough." I'ent assured Locke. He never went to lessons with a Harper so the twins were better off than he was at their age. His father taught him his numbers and how to write but he was still lacking quite a bit so ended up having to take extra lessons here. Even now his writing wasn't all that great and he could just get by on reading. Learning all about the Weyrs and Holds in the South and North was still a huge challenge for him, far harder than taking care of Shireth and learning about formations and other more physical aspects of Weyrlinghood.

Of all the things he would like to learn I'ent wasn't sure which he wanted to learn first. He didn't know all the things The Reaper could do but he had heard of many rumors. He could kill ten people with a single swipe of his sword, scale buildings with ease, even jump great distances as easily as a feline and move just as silently. He could see in the dark and knew all your secrets...I'ent suspected some of it was just stories but one think he did know was true, The Reaper could fly...well if he was riding on Wraith of course. Smirking slightly he realized one talent he knew Locke had which he was interested in learning.

"Can you teach me how to disappear as quickly as you did that night when we first met? One moment you were right beside me, a second later you were gone. I didn't even hear you moving away and it was a really quiet night. I always wondered how you did that."
Parker
Site Admin

Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:50 pm

"I think any of us street rats that have been lucky enough to get out of the Bottoms as done that." After Locke had managed to get Kent sneaked out of the brothel and had been able to escape himself, most of his time had been spent fending for himself and looking for his own food. That was the early day, before the name of the Reaper was known throughout most of the city. Locke was a bit ashamed to think about how greedy he'd been, but that was the first time ever where he only had himself to look out for. It was a new experience and one he reveled in for awhile until he could no longer ignore the suffering of the poor around him. By then he was beginning to gain a reputation and had enough skills that he could make a difference.

Locke gave a beaming smile of pride. "Oh, I've no doubt of that. Both of them are already sharp as a knife. They're behind where they should be, compared to weyrbrats, with their basic education, but they'll soon catch up. While I'd never say I am happy that Wraith went death, I am happy that I am a grounded rider so I can spend more time with the girls to get them where they should be before I send them to harper classes." He'd already begun teaching them the alphabet and numbers, both were doing well with them.

Locke chuckled at I'ent's request of what he would like to learn. "Liked that, did you? Believe it or not I was not that far away from you. Watched you head back to the barracks even." He'd moved only far enough away to hide in the shadows of a couple of larger rocks that were nearby. Once I'ent had moved on, then he came out of hiding and went merrily on home. "I'm fast, but I'm not the bolt of lightning some make me out to be. Something to remember. Getting away doesn't always mean moving some place farther than where you were. Stealth is probably the most important skill I have. If they can't see you and can't hear you, then you can bloody be hiding right behind them and it doesn't matter. It is not an easy skill to master, but it is an excellent starting point. When would you like to start?"
Image Image Image Image

LdyPayne

Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:19 pm

I'ent wondered why Wraith wasn't allowed to fly in the fighting wings. Even when he learned the Chimera was deaf he didn't understand why that was important. He and Shireth could communicate just fine with only their minds and from what he learned in Lessons most communication between riders was via the dragons or hand signals. Thread didn't make noise when it fell so why would not being able to hear hamper his ability to fight Thread?

"Why was Wraith grounded? Don't you communicate with him telepathically? Isn't that all you really need to do to fight Thread effectively?" I'ent asked. Maybe there was more to it than what he learned so far. "Can't you be his ears for him?"

Harper classes, something he didn't participate either as a kid. His father taught him till he died, after that I'ent had learned what he needed to learn the hard way, on the street. Only when he came here and became a Candidate did he realize there was so much lacking in his education. It was still the toughest part of Weyrling training to the point he was sure he'll be assigned a tutor before he started falling too far behind. A shame he wasn't able to pick up on things as quickly as the twins apparently are.

Learning Locke's disappearing trick hadn't meant he managed to leave the area like a bolt of lightening minus the blinding flash caught I'ent's full attention. To hide just in the shadows a few feet away not to even be seen or heard seemed just as miraculous. If he learn that skill I'ent would certainly use it to his advantage. He was definitely willing to put the effort into learning it even if he could never master it as well as Locke could.

"How about right now? Or is the jungle not a good spot to learn how to disappear into the shadows?" I'ent suggested.
Parker
Site Admin

Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:18 pm

While most riders would be disappointed to have been grounded, Locke wasn't. He'd never felt any sort of loyalty to the weyr. He'd never felt any sort of loyalty to anything other than himself, Kent, and the street rats of the Bottoms. Therefore, he wasn't exactly heart broken when they told him he couldn't fly thread anymore. Atricis was merely the place he lived, those he cared about was home, and for the time being Atricis suited all of them just fine.

"Simple answer...it's weyr policy. Any disabled dragon is kept grounded and Wraith technically falls under that category. I'm sure he could fight thread still just fine, but the chances of him messing up because he can't hear is worse than if he could." Locke felt for his dragon, even if being deaf wasn't as hindering as being blind it was still something he had to deal with. "For a more complicated matter, there is a part of me that thinks that my Wingleader was looking for any excuse to ground us. I'm not saying that I thought he was out to get me for no good reason. I think he was merely fed up with Wraith's attitude. He's not the cheeriest of dragons, if you haven't noticed. He's always had an issue trying to bite people. Once he started losing his hearing the snapping got worse. I don't know how many of his wingmates he managed to bite...even the bronzes." Locke shrugged. "I'm sure they'd refuse to say that was part of the reason, but I'm sure it was."

Locke was pleased with I'ent's eagerness to learn. "We can start here if you like." He thought for a moment of how best to train I'ent. He'd never trained anyone before so this was going to be an experience for both of them. Then a fun idea struck him. "I know. Let's play a game of hide and seek. Childish, I know, but go with me on this. You're going to hide first. I'm going to close my eyes, I'm not going to count, and then you try and be as quiet as you can hiding. Then, after a minute I will see if I can figure out where you went."
Image Image Image Image

LdyPayne

Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:27 pm

I'ent hoped Shireth never was injured during Threadfall, then again I'ent didn't want to get hurt by Thread either. He wwasn't a coward and will do what was expected of him as a dragonrider but a part of him wouldn't complain much if he didn't have to fight Thread. Why risk losing Shireth? Logically he knew all dragons who were able to fly and fight were needed to keep the Weyr and surroundings safe from Thread. What he knew he would miss was having Locke when the time came when I'ent graduated and was tapped into one of the fighting wings.

"I noticed he was like that, makes me glad I keep a safe distance from all dragons otherwise he might have nipped me. At least he hasn't tried to bite Shireth, I wouldn't be happy with him if Wraith did that to her." He would hae thought an intelligent creature like a dragon would know better than to bite. It occurred to I'ent Wraith may just like doing it, just as a bully liked to pick on others whenever he could get away with it. "I guess dragons have all types like people do...some just like to be mean. Shireth likes him though...maybe because he has some of the same crass she does? I know she can get a bit rough with her words."

"It's good Wraith can still fly and do all the normal stuff dragons do so being deaf isn't too bad compared to other handicaps." I'ent added. In his experienced most people who were too physically disabled ended up begging on the streets or dead. He knew being poor was not an easy life but he was glad he was healthy in body for the most part. Once he had a way to make money he could manage to get enough food to eat and a place to stay even if his former home was a dungheap compared to what he had here at the Weyr.

I'ent could barely remember playing hide and seek with his sister before she was sent away, he didn't have much time for childhood games after his father died either. It did sound like a practical training exercise except I'ent doubted he could move quietly at all in the jungle..with all its roots, brush and other vegetation. It was taking enough of his concentration to keep tripping over stuff much less move quietly.

"You do realize this is the second time I have been out in the wild right? The first time I was running for my life I doubt I can move quietly out here," I'ent pointed out. He realized then if he was to learn best learn in an environment he was totally unfamiliar with. However he didn't want Locke to think he was totally useless when it came to moving silently. "I'll give it a shot however, I am sure if I can move silently in the jungle the Weyr and Holds will be a peice of cake."

He waited till Locke closed his eyes then did his best to move away as silently as he could. He walked on this toes more than his entire foot, circling away from Locke in an attempt to confuse him on which direction he want. Spotting a pretty thick mass of shrubs low enough I'ent was certain he could slip underneath and hide, he dropped to his knees and crawled underneath. It was a very good concealing bush and I'ent was certain he was soundless. To a trained ear however he probably was as noisy as a stampeding herd of herdbeasts.
Parker
Site Admin

Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:56 pm

"So far he has only snapped at a few dragons, so I don't think you have to worry about him doing that to Shireth. He likes her, for all he acts like he doesn't. The dragons he has snapped at he either doesn't like them or doesn't like their rider." Akoth, K'din's bronze, was snapped at any time he got near to Wraith. Generally Locke would scold him for biting at people and dragons but Akoth and K'din was an exception. Locke never scolded him for menacing them. Luckily they hardly ever was near to the bronzerider and his dragon for it to be a real problem. "He use to not be like this. When he was first hatched he was much kinder, more optimistic. Always had a bit of an asshole streak in him, but he wasn't mean. I'm afraid I'm the one to blame for his change of attitude." Locke explained.

"Yes, if anything had to happen to him I am glad it doesn't prevent him from living life to the fullest. He's happier, too, not having to do drills...so I suppose his going deaf was mainly a good thing." Locke conceded. He was happy with his life and as far as he could tell, despite all the complaints, Wraith was happy as well. Even if there were days where he did nothing but complain.

Locke laughed. The jungle was not the easiest of places to move silently in, but if I'ent could learn to be semi-quiet here then he'd stand a better chance in places like weyrs and holds. "You're just now starting to learn. I would be insane if I expected you to be as quiet as me right off the bat. I have faith in you though. Think light." He suggested before giving the young man a slap on the shoulder and then closed his eyes.

He listened intently to any movement that I'ent made. The crunching of grass and leaves underfoot, the sound of limbs bending as he passed through them. Locke had to hand it to him, he wasn't doing too badly for his first attempt. Once he had given him plenty of time, Locke opened his eyes and looked around. He could have made it easier on him and used what tracking skills he had to follow I'ent's foot prints, but that felt like cheating. They were only focusing on sound, not sight, that would come later. Locke had thought it sounded like I'ent pushed a bush out of the way, so he looked for bushes first. There was some small ones around, but not big enough for a person to hide in.

After a few minutes of searching he found a bush that was large enough. A smirk spread on his face as he knelt down and looked under the bush. "Found you." He said as he looked at the hiding greenrider. "Not too shabby. I mean that. However, the sound of you crawling under a bush gave you away. While it is ideal to completely conceal yourself, sometimes it's better to hide more in the open if there is a risk what you're trying to hide in makes more noise."
Image Image Image Image

LdyPayne

Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:39 pm

It was a relief to hear Wraith wasn't likely to ever snap at Shireth, I'ent didn't know what he would do if that had happened. Better to assume it won't especially with Locke's reassurance. Shireth did like Wraith but I'ent think she realized he was blind so he made a mental note to talk to her about that later. Right now she was too deeply asleep for him to rouse. Then Locke was admitting it was his faught Wraith was the way he was and I'ent looked at him curiosly. The question of why this was so was on the tip of I'ent's tongue but he repressed it. He had a feeling the reasons behind it may be very personal and not something Locke would want to talk about. Then again he may want to talk about it which was why he eluded to it.

"I am glad he is happier, and you seem happy about it too so that's what's important I guess," I'ent responded with a shrug. He decided he might as well wait to ask Locke about why he thought he was the reason for Wraith turning mean.

After receiving Locke's well wishes and useful advice and I'ent found himself a hiding spot he waited, ears straining for any sound of Locke's approach. He didn't really hear anything above the sound of his own heart beating, and his own breathing. Occaisionally he could hear the creaking of tree branches above him as they shifted in the wind. A wherry cried out somewhere in the distance followed by others of its flock. Those noises he tried to put out of his mind as he tried to listen for footsteps. Maybe if he heard Locke approaching he could slip away to find another hiding spot before being spotted.

A russling in the leaves nearby had him look down right into the beady eyes of a large trundlebug who seemed surprise to find a human in his bush. I'ent smirked at it and flicked it away with his fingers then froze as he thought he heard a footstep. Holding his breath he strained to hear other footsteps while he tried to figure out if the step he heard was close by, or just his imagination. Finally the need to breath overwhelmed his need to listen and he exhaled and inhaled deeply again, smelling the deep loamy scent of the ground beneath him.

Movement behind him had him start a bit, reaching for his belt knife instinctively even though he could see it was Locke. A beat passed before he relaxed enough to take his hand off his knife and crawl out from underneath the bush. He brushed himself off sheepishly, hoping Locke hadn't noticed he nearly drew on him. Focusing on what Locke's advice was he nodded.

"I did try to get under the bush without any noise but yeah I can see where crouching behind something would be far more quieter," I'ent responded. He also realized if he wasn't underneath something he may have spotted Locke approaching and move further away, even circling behind him. Not that he would have tried that given the chance as he was certain Locke would hear him easily if he tried getting too close.