Up Around The Way - Anika/Astra

The lands around New Atricis that are regarded as Atricis' new territory. Not as big as their previous protective range, but still lots of space and wilds to explore. Dragon Flights and Wher Runs also occur across these lands.
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:23 am

Finn had a list, her bags, a knife at her belt and one at her thigh. She was ready for this little trip into the wilds.

Ever since arriving at the Weyr, she'd been itching to go a little deeper into them. She'd explored some around the edges, found a few plants she knew and some she didn't. She'd cataloged them, both mentally and physically, then gone forward with making medicines or poisons out of them. Some of the latter she tested out on herself. One in particular caused a rather nasty rash when applied as a salve. She could only imagine what that one would do if ingested orally. Perhaps she'd find more like it further in the lush forest, or maybe she'd find something that could be made into a new medicine. Poisons were just a... back of the burner interest of hers. The real truth was that she appreciated and enjoyed making things that could soothe and heal.

That and she had her garden to think of. She wanted seeds as well, and double checked her list to make sure she'd put that down. There it was, at the top, circled and underlined twice. Whatever she found, it would be glorious, and she grinned as she stuffed her seed packet in one of her bags. She was bringing two with her - one for things she knew, the other for things she needed to play with first. She new separating them wasn't really all that necessary, but it would make things easier upon returning to the Weyr and unpacking everything.

As she prepared herself by slinging her bags over her shoulders and making sure her seed pouches were there as well, she paused to consider again if she should bring someone with her. These were lands that she had not explored, and there were rumors aplenty of what they contained. It would be a wise decision to take at least one person with her, maybe even two, but the stubborn part of her, the one that said she could do it on her own, refused to bow down and ask for help. Foolish though it might be, she wasn't thinking of her safety, only of the discoveries she might make. Who knew, she might even find something that was new to even the people of the south.

With a grin, she pushed herself forward and started to make her way outside before someone could stop her. She was holding her note, had a writing stick tucked behind her ear, and was ready for whatever the continent wanted to throw at her. At least that is what she had herself convinced of.
Dirce L'van D'kellen D'ante V'ric Na'vi K'rios J'on
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Fali'vas Koda'vis Melangell Cataren Sianca Feraliss Yaranavexa Rathiran

Compendium | NPC Archive | Wanted Connections | Marks Tracker | Emporium

[ Threads Wanted ]

“It's better to write something, anything, than to starve the monster. The monster must feed. And it will feed on your soul if not your words. Its appetite is insatiable. Write to save yourself from the monster.”
― Don Roff ―
arcanicEmbers

Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:07 am

Candidacy had led her on a strange path.

Granted, it was a good one, but Anika. . . didn't really see her twin anymore. The other girl had a completely different schedule, so it was hard to make time to see her. It was her own fault, honestly; she'd managed to set it up that way. Even if she did love her sister, she was also so so tired of dealing with her and her antics. Really, she should be happy. And she was, sort of. She was relieved to know that Gratia was now in charge of herself, and if she messed up it was on her, but. . .

Well, she did sort of miss her. After all, for all her faults, Gratia was fun and lively. And it was kind of boring without her. Busy, sure, but that wasn't the same as entertaining. Sticking with her sister had certainly never been boring, and she supposed that she had to get used to it. The cons of being around Gratia outweighed the pros by far. She would just have to figure something else to keep her occupied, maybe find another little canine to train. Charcoal was getting older, and even if her hunting partner wasn't going to go for a while. . . Well, she liked them, and maybe Charcoal could use a friend. Maybe. . .

And it was as she was considering this that she caught a glimpse of someone passing by. Someone who looked like they were ready for an adventure. Adventure was right up her alley. Either way.

She ran a bit to catch up with the person, giving a quick call of "Hey, wait up," and continuing once she caught up with "you look like you're going out somewhere. Mind if I tag along? It's been a while since I've gotten to do much of anything, and if you give me a few minutes I can grab my bow so I won't be completely useless. It's not much, but I can provide some protection, just in case you run into anything nasty."

That might have been over doing it a bit, but she really wanted to get out and see something other then the weyr. It was fascinating for a while, but everything lost it's shine eventually, and this place wasn't an exception. Besides, the worse the other candidate could do was say no, and if she did? Oh well. Anika would figure out a time when she could take her canine out hunting later. In hindsight, maybe she should have just done that originally. Well, too late, she'd already asked.
Ember

Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:51 am

Finn didn't want to wait for the caller at first. She wanted to continue on her way, and very nearly did. But she stopped short when she heard the other candidate speak, and so her attention was caught on Anika's words. Someone for protection? Someone who could use a bow next to her use of belt knives? Well, hopefully neither tool would need to be used, but it wouldn't hurt to have them both on hand just in case. She grasped her hips and looked the other young woman over for a moment and decided she could hold her own. Of course she could though, if she was able to use a bow. Those weren't easy weapons to wield on good days; Finn, in all her interest in knives, had shied away from the bow for that exact reason.

The only problem she could foresee is if this other individual saw her picking poisonous plants and knew what they were. She didn't see that as being an issue, and even if it did become one... well, she would cross that bridge when - and if - she came to it. After mulling it over a little bit longer, she finally nodded her head in agreement. "I'm thinking having someone for protection wouldn't be such a bad idea. This will be my first trip deep in the wilds. I could use someone else to help keep an eye on things." Just in case.

She lifted her chin back toward the Weyr proper. "I'll wait here for you. If you're not back in a quarter of a candlemark though, I'm going to take off." Then the other candidate would either have to run after her, or abandon this plan to join her on her adventure. Maybe it was cruel to be in such a rush and speak in such a manner, but in a case like this, when she was eager to see what was out there, her impatience ran thick. "I've got an emergency kit with me, so we won't need any supplies. Just bring your bow and arrows with you." A shame neither of them had a firelizard. Having a third set of eyes would have been wonderful.

[ Threads Wanted ]

“It's better to write something, anything, than to starve the monster. The monster must feed. And it will feed on your soul if not your words. Its appetite is insatiable. Write to save yourself from the monster.”
― Don Roff ―
arcanicEmbers

Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:55 am

That was an agreement, and she nodded and turned to go grab her stuff. Honestly, she didn't blame the other candidate for being eager to get out and about. After all, wasn't that the exact reason she had to gone to volunteer to go with because she wanted to get out and about as well? Besides, it wouldn't take too long for her to grab her things, though she was planning on bringing a little bit more then just her bow and arrows, though she did grab those first.

Next, she grabbed an empty sack, one that she'd initially used to carry her stuff around in. Since she had a room, she didn't really have much in it, so she just dumped out her remaining stuff and kind of nudged it under the bed. She'd get it all cleaned up later, when she got back. Now it wasn't too important, after all. Besides, she didn't have time to tuck it neatly away. They'd be back before anyone realized there was a mess, and it would be neat and clean.

Finally, she whistled, and the canine that had been up until then sleeping soundly on the bed she'd just made a storage unit yawned and looked at her. She clapped her hands and turned to go. "Come on, Charcoal, we're going out." Granted it wasn't quite a hunting trip, but she felt better having her pet with her if they were going out. He'd be able to warn them if anything less then savory showed up, and he was well trained. Besides, if she could use some time out of the weyr, she was pretty sure he could use some time out.

She returned not a moment too soon, just before her allotted quarter of a candlemark ran out. She smiled at the other. "I brought my canine too. I hope that's not a bother. He's very well trained, and he won't cause any problems. Plus, his nose is better then both of ours, so if there's any trouble about, he'll let us know before we actually run into it."
Ember

Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:18 pm

While Finn waited, she paced, and while she paced, she thought. What if this little expedition wasn't a good idea? She'd never gone as far as she intended to, and she didn't know whether it would turn out well or not. She snorted and laughed at herself; these were things she should have considered before packing to go out. It didn't even cross her mind that she might need permission to go out into the wilds. The healer side of her brain, much stronger than the candidate side at the moment, wasn't even in the mode of following the rules. It would be something she'd need to deal with later, when it finally hit her what she was doing and who she had drug along with her.

Speaking of, it was starting to near that time, at least according to her internal time piece. She glanced in the direction Anika had disappeared off to and decided if she didn't show up soon, she would just take off. She didn't really need someone with her, not when all she was doing was looking for plants. Sensibly, if she were thinking that way, she would wait. But she was excited and eager to go to a different part of the lands she had never touched upon. She wanted to see what was out there, and whether or not there were any useful plants for her garden, the infirmary, or the apothecary.

Patience it would have to be, and she was actually glad she made herself wait when she saw her companion appear once again, this time with a canine in tow. She smiled at the pup and crouched down to offer it her hand. "That's perfectly fine. I think having the extra thick nose will serve us well." It would have been nice if one of them had a firelizard or starlizard, but she supposed a canine would do just as well. After scratching the animal between the ears, she stood and shifted her packs. "I suppose we should be going then. I don't want to spend too much time out." She checked her knives, both recently sharpened, and nodded. "Let's go."

Turning, she started to lead the way, not exactly sure which direction they would be travelling in. Another good thing about the canine being with them - he would be able to help them out if they got lost. She would have to thank Anika later for her quick thinking. Speaking of the other young woman, she hadn't caught her name. "I don't think we exchanged names, have we?" No, she was certain she would have remembered if they had. "I'm Finn, dragon candidate and Journeyman Healer."

[ Threads Wanted ]

― Don Roff ―
arcanicEmbers

Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:44 pm

Anika did consider, briefly, that she was a candidate and not allowed to go without permission, but part of her was fairly certain that if the other woman was already going out, then she evidently had permission. There was something else related to that rule that she couldn't quite remember, but again, Finn was so prepared to go that she figured whatever it might be, the other had it handled. Part of her knew that she was putting far too much faith into someone she'd only just met, but the vast majority just wanted to get out from the Weyr for a while.

She watched her canine give Finn's hand a thorough sniffing before allowing her to pet him, and she couldn't help buy fondly roll her eyes. A hunting canine he might be, but it wasn't actually that hard to get on his good side. She was pretty sure he didn't actually have anything other then a good, in reality. Not that it was really a bad thing.

"Alright, lead the way." She was more then content to follow behind, considering that she was only tagging along. Though perhaps it would be better if she knew how the trip was going to go, just in case. "By the way, might I ask where exactly we're going? If we ended up getting separated for whatever reason, we should have a plan on how to meet up." She didn't want to think that they would, especially because if they did then the possibility that one of them would get lost was. . . pretty high. Still, that was why she figure that making a plan would be best.

"Ah, right." Introductions were always a good thing, especially in this case. "I'm Anika, day wher candidate and-" Sometimes she forgot that she'd had to abandon her craft early one. She bit her lip for a second then shook her head. "Actually, no, that's it. Day wher candidate. I'm not actually all that interesting, honestly."
Ember

Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:07 am

For her part, Finn wasn't worried about being a candidate and going out into the wilds. Besides, they weren't going too far into them, just enough for her to get to some of the places she hadn't been to before. She had planned to do so without company, but now that she had it, she had to change one or two of her courses of action. Gone was blindly going in any which direction. She could have gotten herself out just fine, but now she had someone else to take into consideration. A straight line, they kept together, simple as that. At least in her mind it was simple. It might not seem that way to Anika if she voiced her thoughts to the other candidate.

"We're going in a straight line, sticking together." Those were some of the thoughts Finn was willing to share. "To tell you the truth, before you approached me I was going to go in and move in random directions." She stepped over a root and ducked underneath a branch. "It's usually what I do when I poke and prod at these parts. If it helps, we're not going very deep. Just to the space where I haven't been able to go yet. I want to see what kind of herbs I can find there."

It was something of an explanation for Anika as to why they were going out in the first place. Finn knew she deserved that much at least. "Hopefully if we stay in a single pattern, we won't get lost. In any way. Though I think with your canine companion with us, the chances of that happening are pretty slim." Which meant she had no intentions of them going off in different directions, or of being separated. With that in mind, she slowed the speed she was walking in order to stay next to the other candidate. No use trying to get ahead of herself and going back on her word, even if unintentionally.

"That being said, I find it hard to believe you're not all that interesting." Finn paused when she spotted a plant she wanted to look at. While she crouched down to write down the location and what it was, she glanced up at Anika. "I don't know much about day whers, for example, but you must know something about them if you're a candidate for them." She smiled and turned back to the plant. "That makes you very interesting in my opinion."

[ Threads Wanted ]

― Don Roff ―
arcanicEmbers

Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:01 am

A straight line didn't seem to bad to Anika as she followed behind the woman, moving with relative ease though the terrain. After all, it wasn't the first time she'd done this, not by far. Charcoal was a hunting canine for a reason, and she had to get used to moving through trees with relative ease and soft steps, since anything too loud spooked away the animals. "Well, even random directions wouldn't be too bad, as long we stayed close enough together." A long length of rope might do the trick. . . Then again, that would be easily caught on things. Maybe it'd be better to just try and keep her in sight. As long as Anika could see her, they wouldn't get separated.

"Herbs, huh?" So it wasn't just simple exploration, they really were going out there to look for something. She'd been wondering about that, but she'd kind of jumped into the whole thing without really pausing to consider how it would end up. That might prove to be a mistake later, but for now, she was just curious. "Are we looking for any specific sort of herbs? Granted, I only know some basics, like which plants to avoid." She wasn't sure that would be much help, especially since if the other woman was going out to look for plants, she would likely already know what to avoid.

"He's a good canine, and I'm sure he'd be able to help out if we did get lost." She didn't stop moving, but she did divert some attention to petting her canine companion. "It's not exactly what he's trained for, but I have confidence in him." How to answer the next part of the question, though? It was a bit awkward to talk about some past things, but she supposed if you were willing to go on a hike through the woods with someone, it wouldn't hurt to share a little bit of history. She'd just avoid the worst parts, as always.

"Well, yes. There were some requirements, and I did have to petition to be allowed as a candidate, but I guess I don't see that as interesting." After all, she'd never been the 'interesting' twin. "I used to be a scholar apprentice, and so it wasn't that difficult." She didn't add that on that picking day whers had been a clever trick more then an actual choice, but it still gave her something that she could do. "And what about you? A dragon candidate, and a Journeyman healer? It sounds like you must be very, very busy."
Ember

Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:31 am

This was the first time Finn had gone out with someone else. It was strange, simply because she was so used to doing things on her own without having another individual to consider. But she did her best to remember that she had Anika with her, and to not get too far ahead. She had no intentions for the two of them to become separated, and if that meant slowing herself down simply so they could remain in stride next to one another, than she would do so. When her fellow candidate asked if she was looking for a specific herb, Finn wasn't sure if it would matter if she mentioned them or not. But Anika said she knew some of the basics, and two sets of eyes would be better than one. With that in mind, she was suddenly glad she had someone else with her; two sets of hands would be able to get the work done that much more quickly, and then Finn would be able to move on to other duties once they returned to the Weyr.

"Perhaps you could help. I'm not sure what you do know of the good types of plants, but if I showed you examples, perhaps you could help me find others?" She didn't know if she would find what she wanted deep in the forest surrounding Atricis, but it was worth looking and worth taking note. It would serve the entirety of the healing department well, and would be one more source of plants for them for the apothecary. She pulled out her list, even though she had the herbs she needed more or less memorized, and ticked off the list. "I'm looking for featherfern, pink root, yarrow, adonis, lovage, and wild mint. I don't need to find all of them, mind you, but if I could find even two of them that would be a good thing." Almost immediately, she looked down and found a featherfern plant, laughing as she plucked one of the leaves for Anika to look at. "Featherfern. It helps to reduce fevers."

She knelt to begin picking some of the plants, stopping long enough to pull out her pad of hides and make note of where she'd found the plant. At one point she stopped writing to pet the canine that had come with them and smiled. "I had a puppy like him when I was younger. Followed me around everywhere. They're good companions, and you're lucky to have him, as he is to have you." She wondered if she should get another one for herself at some point. She missed having pets. Being at the Healer Hall, there hadn't been much time to take care of one. She wasn't sure if there was time to take care of one now, what with her duties as both a candidate and healer. She would have to look into it, but that was a thought to explore further later. "How long have you had him?" it seemed as if canine and human had a good, thick bond. She hoped Anika wouldn't mind the question.

It sounded interesting, to Finn at least, how Anika had become a candidate for her specific dragonkin. Becoming a dragon candidate by choice wasn't too different, in some regards she supposed, and yet she could tell they couldn't be considered the same at all. She listened intently, even as she wrote and picked featherfern, then smiled over at the other young woman. "I think it makes you very interesting. It takes a special someone to stand for dragonkin, any kind of dragonkin, which means there's something unique about you. Never sell yourself short." She couldn't tell Anika what to do, how to think or feel, but she could make that firm declaration and hope the other candidate would follow through with it. "Yeah, I am pretty busy. I stood once before, when I lived in the north. I originate from High Reaches Weyr, so candidacy was a thing that happened when I came of age. But I'm glad I decided to join a craft. It made the time in between hatchings go by a little more quickly." That, and it would give her something to fall back on if she failed to Impress before aging out.

[ Threads Wanted ]

― Don Roff ―