Rediscovering One's Self - Kate | Devyn

The lands around New Atricis that are regarded as Atricis' new territory. Not as big as their previous protective range, but still lots of space and wilds to explore. Dragon Flights and Wher Runs also occur across these lands.
Shaihulud
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:09 pm

Season - Late Autumn (several months after A Home to Call Your Own
Location - Ambrosius's Cothold | Outskirts of Atricis, East of the Main Weyr near the old Campsite

@Kate | Devyn

Leaving Devyn's company had pained the dragonless man when he first moved into the cothold, but Ambrosius recognised the necessity of it. He required distance and time, enough to rediscover himself and what his life without Bowith meant to him. In the weeks to follow, he busied himself with his new home, finding a pace that agreed with him. Day by day he awoke at the crack of dawn. Shortly after dressing himself, he would step out of the cothold to fetch a bucket of water that he burned over the hearth. With that water, he made porridge every morning and a accompanying cup of tea. With food and drink in hand, he always made his way out to the porch, if only to take in the portrait of nature framed around him, from the towering trees that sheltered his home, to the thick under brush where small wherries often rummaged for food.

Once the sun light painted the skies blue, Ambrosius finished his breakfast and stepped back into his home to wash off for the start of the day. He used the remainder of the water on the hearth, pouring it into a small basin before he sponged the water over his shoulders and across his form, and gave an extra wash to Duesso who watched the man knelt upon the floor with a towel folded beneath him. Once dressed, he left for the stables to care for Purefoy, and then to his cutting stump where he cut wood and kindling. When he finished, to his cellar he ventured, collecting flour to start a loaf of bread. He tended to his bread twice a week, making enough to last as required. As the yeast activated, he fed Duesso from his storage, bits of dried meat to satiate the fancy flit's appetite. And then to the dough he returned, adding flour and needing the mass until satisfied it would rise properly during the proving. As the dough rose in the warmth of his home, he returned to Purefoy, riding the runner about his home to familiarise himself with the terrain where he resided. Duesso always flew ahead, keeping track of any wild felines in the area. At this hour, however, Ambrosius normally only saw wild herds of runners, bovine, goats, sheep, and boar.

When he did not need to concern himself with bread baking, Ambrosius rode longer, venturing all the way to the lake. There, he swam for a candlemark until his arms tired. Normally, he made sure to return to shore before his body began to protest.

On those darker days, however, he stayed out longer than he should, hoping the exhaustion would overcome him, and allow him to finally drown.

Yet always did Ambrosius manage to return to shore. Worn by his efforts, he lay on the stones, letting the sun dry off lithe his form. Once dried and dressed, he would ride back to the cothold for the latter half of his day.

After several weeks, the man managed to obtain a small brood of wherries so he could collect eggs every afternoon and secure the coop. After two more weeks passed, he found himself with several sheep who wandered across the pasture, guarded by his new herd canine, Jacqueline. The flock soon became the centre of his life. Ambrosius constantly guarded the sheep from predators who might attack. A bovine eventually added itself to the mix, leading Ambrosius to milk her every morning and afternoon. He tended to his gardens every other day. The man uprooted tubers, plucked what remained of his tomatoes and beans, and trimmed lettuce and kale for a salad. What he did not use, he dried. Sometimes he caught fish in the lake, or ensnared an unsuspecting beast in a trap. And always, what he did not use, he smoked to preserve it for later. Down in the cellar, he placed his stock with a few bottles of wine and port. Winter would soon be upon him, and while not nearly as intense as the north, he suspected it would not be entirely easy.

By the evening, with the herd beasts secured in the stables and the wherries locked in their coop, dinner consumed, and a port fetched from the cellar, Ambrosius settled into his chair on the porch, and watched as the skies turned orange. Duesso always found a place at his shoulder, Jacqueline curled at his feet... and eventually his pest hunting canine, Kirkcaldy, joined them, jumping on Ambrosius's lap for warmth. Together, they always watched the sun's final rays of the day disappeared from the sky.

In these late hours that Ambrosius always saw him emerge from the brush; a copper daywher as bright as the sun that faded.

The beast always stood along the outskirts of the clearing, and always alone. Tall, stocky, curious, the beast watched as the dying sunlight caught his hide, illuminating the stream of gold that cut across the his flanks. When clouds billowed in the skies, he seemed like a reflection of the sky itself when the sun cut through the misty forms.

Kirkcaldy always sounded the alarm, his obnoxious barks cracking through the air in an act of intimidation towards the daywher. It caused Ambrosius to wonder of the beast was feral, standing there alone, stalking, and without a handler. Jacqueline was always silent with her caution towards the beast, but never did he show any form of hostility or aggression. From a distance he watched them for a half candlemark, sometimes a full candlemark, and then he would leave, disappearing into the grove. A huff always escaped Kirkcaldy as the daywher left, and Jacqueline always settled, eventually resting her head back on the porch.

Once the last of the light disappeared from the skies, Ambrosius brought his small family back into the cothold where they might find safety for the duration of the night when the felines came out to prowl. Never did Ambrosius sleep upstairs, not when there were nights when he heard the large predators roam near by. He kept a loaded crossbow by the door and a torch ready to by lit by the fires of his hearth. Often did the fire burn through the night, into the early morning. Most nights, Ambrosius eventually found sleep. Other nights, he remained on guard, ready to go on the offence against the felines. He dreaded those moments when he ventured outside in the pitch black of night with a torch at hand, a hatchet on his belt, and crossbow at hand. When he looked to the outskirts of the clearing, he saw the glowing eyes by the brush, of beasts biding their time. Other nights, the hair stood at end along the nape of his neck. He could not see them, but he smelled them, catching the sound of their massive paws crack a twig.

One night, he was charged. He was fortunate to have the crossbow at hand, and fired in a panic, sprouting a bold into the beast's skull. The dogs barked fiercely as Ambrosius inspected the kill he made on his own porch. Just in case, he made sure to cut the beast's throat, draining it of the blood that might sustain it. Quickly he worked, roping up the animal so he could gut it before the rest of its pride arrived. During his dressing, he spotted a pack of nightwhers from the weyr pass by.

"You all right here?" one of the men asked.

"Yes, I'm fine" Ambrosius assured them as he tossed the last of the organs into a pail.

"You sure? You know it's dangerous to be out here alone."

"I know, but I have no choice," Ambrosius answered. "This is my home."

The handlers stayed near by as Ambrosius cleaned his kill, and even offered a hand to help the man drag the carcass back into the stables. He found an empty stable to hang the kill up. In the morning, he would skin the beast and dry the meat, while the gizzards would be minced and dried for Duesso and the canines.

Some days, Ambrosius rode Purefoy to the weyr with Jacqueline in tow and Duesso overhead. During these days, he paid a visit to his daughter, Alyss, spending what time he could before the sight of dragons got the better of him. He also used the time to trade, offering what he could to the weyr in trade for supplies. With the feline fur he stripped from his kill and cured, he gained several sacks of flour, a peck of carrots, a peck of greens, two jars of yeast, a bottle of port, and three skins of a Nabol wine.

It was on one of these days that Ambrosius found himself run into Devyn. Two thirds of the season had passed since he last saw the man, for Ambrosius had kept to himself, thus it was a bit of a surprise to suddenly come face to face with the handler once again. After a short conversation that allowed both men to catch up, Ambrosius found himself offer his home to Devyn on the next rest day. It was meant to be a gesture of gratitude towards the handler, thanking him for everything he had done for Ambrosius. In truth, however, Ambrosius missed the man's company after months of withholding himself from it. Though even in absence, he often thought of the handler and the place he occupied in his heart.

"You could come this rest day if you'd like. I could meet you by the weyryards and I can show you my home."

Three days later, Ambrosius kept his word. His heart pounded at the thought of seeing Devyn once again. In their time together, Ambrosius found a peace in the handler's company, and was loathe to leave it for all he knew he must. Now, after all this time, Ambrosius would be able to enjoy Devyn's company once again. He dressed in a tunic and vest, with a matching pair of wherhide for the occasion, something cleaner, finer, than he normally wore day to day. When he appeared in the weyryards by the trail, he did so on Purefoy, whom he had made sure to brush until he shined.

After all this time, everything needed to be perfect.

Duesso sat upon his shoulder, watching the distance steadily for that telling pale hide.

Would he show?

Ambrosius knew it was a silly question to ask, for Devyn had always been a man of his word. Still, he asked it nonetheless, if only because life had shown him just how uncertain it could be. Yet patiently he awaited the man, thinking all the while on what he would say once face to face with Devyn.
Kate

Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:27 am

Devyn groaned a bit as the sun poked through his window. At first he rolled over and threw the pillow over his head, trying to block out the light so he could maybe get back to sleep. He had not slept well, and did not feel rested at all. He just wanted to lay in bed, but he knew, unfortunately, that he could not. He had to get up and go about his day, no matter how much he didn't want to.

Devyn, come on, it is time to get up! We have the whole day ahead of us!

As he heard Isamuyn's voice, he groaned again. "I'm up...just give a moment to get going.." He swung his feet over the bed and then got up and quickly got washed up and put some clean clothes on. As he was doing that, it was then that he remembered t hat he was supposed to go see Ambr's new house today. So, technically, he didnt have the whole day as Isamuyn had said. It must have slipped his mind to tell his chimera about his plans.

We don't have the whole day actually, Isamuyn. Ambr wants us to come over and see his new place, so we are going to spend the day there with him.

Thinking about Ambr, it made the chimera handler smile softly to himself. It had been a while since he had actually been able to sit down and talk with his friend. Ever since the man had moved out of Devyn's apartment and to the new places his friends had built him, he had been kind of keeping to himself. While the handler didnt blame his friend, he wished he could see more of him, make sure he was doing ok. The only time he got to see Ambr now was when he made his way into the Weyr to get supplies and what not. From what he did see of him, he seemed to be doing ok. The last time he saw him, Ambr had finally invited him out to the new place. Eagerly, the man had agreed and the two set up a time and place to meet.

Speaking of time, it was getting close, so Devyn quickly got himself ready and a quick bite to eat, and then he and Isamuyn made their way to the weyryards. As they made their way, Devyn felt himself getting a little nervous, although he didn't actually know why. This was just some friends catching up.

Finally they arrived, and Ambr was already there waiting on his runner. Smiling softly, Devyn said, "I hope I didn't make you wait long. Couldn't seem to get myself going today until I remembered what I was supposed to be doing."
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Shaihulud

Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:14 pm

Patiently, Purefoy waited, even with Ambrosius settled upon him. On occasion, the space between Ambrosius's legs swelled before the gelding let out a sigh and shook his head. Sometimes his body swayed when the runner beast switched his weight from one hoof to another. But little protest escaped the runnerbeast, proof once more that he was a steady beast not only in build, but in temperament.

"Remind me to to give you a carrot after this," Ambrosius murmured to the beast with a scratch to the neck. It was certainly no carrot, but it would suffice for the meantime.

Jacqueline sat near to them, the herding canine curious about the ongoings in the weyr yard. When something did manage to grab the canine's attention, she often shifted up, ready to investigate, but Ambrosius always made sure to warn her to heel, and remain close.

When she caught sight a feline in particular who slunk through the grass by the dayhandler pavilion, Ambrosius warned the bitch before she could sprint off after it, "Stay, Jacqueline."

She whined, her head indicating she wished to disobey the command.

"Jacqueline, sit."

She obeyed, and settled back down on her haunches once more, but not without another pitiful whine. Her blue eyes, however, remained fastened upon the small feline. With every movement feline made, her head jolted, but her body stayed in place for all it yearned to give in.

"Stay,"" Ambrosius warned once again.

Though eager, she did as she was told, or at least she did up to the moment when a familiar copper hide came into view.

From the the pavilion, a copper wher appeared, one with a stream of sunlight that cut along either side of brilliant his hide. He seemed oblivious to Ambrosius presence, or at least he did up to the moment when he and a quartz wher with a handler walked by Purefoy, Ambrosius, and Jacqueline. Steps slowed as the quartz and his handler moved on. The copper regarded Ambrosius on his runner, putting Purefoy at unease so close to the copper.

"Hey, easy, easy," he assured the gelding, eyes trading between the runner beast he was mounted on and the wher less than a dragon's length away.

The copper did not dare come closer, though the perk of his ears showed no anxiety or concern on his part.

Should I call to him? Ambrosius wondered, for if the wher was so curious, perhaps there was reason for it.

Before he could, the copper moved away, cantering off to rejoin the quartz, leaving Ambrosius to watch him in confusion. What was all of that about?

"I hope I didn't make you wait long. Couldn't seem to get myself going today until I remembered what I was supposed to be doing."

The arrival of Devyn nearly startled Ambrosius after his encounter with the copper now trotting off in the distance. Left a bit unbalanced by the experience, he traded glances between Devyn and the wher as he spoke, "No, you didn't," he assured him before he looked back to the copper. "Devyn, that copper who was here a moment ago, is he part of the pack here?"
Kate

Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:08 am

Blue eyes caught sight of Talen and Khonlen put on patrol with Cambys as the pair strolled up to their meeting place with the once dragon rider. The chimera handler raised a hand in greeting as the other two moved away and smiled. It was always nice seeing other people from the pack out and about.

Devyn could not help but stifle a small laugh as he noticed that he had kind of caught Ambr by surprise when he had spoken to him. It was quiet apparent that the man had been focused on something else. Perhaps it had been the daywhers that had been here. Of course, if the other man had fallen off of his runner or something, Devyn would obviously not be laughing. But just the way he looked at the moment was fairly comical, and the man couldn’t help himself. Although, it probably wasn’t the best thing to do when he hadn’t seen his friend in a while. He hoped that Ambr would find the humor in it, and not be offended by it. Knowing his friend, that wouldn’t be the case, and even if it was, Ambr would most likely just find some way to joke around about it anyway.

Honestly, a million questions came to his mind. How was Ambr doing? How did he like his house? Others that just went on and on. Sure, they had talked about these things when they had seen each other in passing but Devyn had never gotten had never really gotten the chance to sit down and talk to him, see how he was really doing. Was everything still going ok for him, or was he just saying it was so people wouldn’t worry?

Before he could ponder this anymore, as his friend spoke to him. For a moment, he found himself wondering what Ambr was talking about, but he quickly realized what it was and nodded. ”Yes, he is an unbounded daywher that is part of the Pack. I don’t know much else about him though. I could ask Talen, his patrol partner, if there is something else you would like to know about him.”
Shaihulud

Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:34 pm

Purefoy jolted to the right when the wher arrived, but after several nervous steps, Ambrosius managed to sooth the gelding enough, for all his ears remained pressed back with unease.

Once upon a time, he rode a beast who knew his every though and intention, who trusted him with his life. The day Ambrosius put himself in danger for Inez, he betrayed the trust so ill placed in him. I miss Bowith, the dragonless man though quietly and with remorse. Even if the thought was fleeting, it proved heaviness to press upon his chest, nearly suffocating him with sorrow. Lip quivered as the evidence of his sudden onslaught of sorrow streaked down his cheek, but he held back the need to sob.

”Yes, he is an unbounded daywher that is part of the Pack. I don’t know much else about him though. I could ask Talen, his patrol partner, if there is something else you would like to know about him.”

"Just a name," Ambrosius answered with a clenched voice. A silence befell him, before he managed to collect himself enough, to trust himself enough, to speak. "I see him in the evenings around my cottage by the lake."

Rather than let Devyn witness any more of the sudden bout of melancholy that claimed him, Ambrosuis closed his leg upon his gelding, and guided him with the reigns to slowly turn in place and begin walking down the path away from the weyr. He suspected Devyn would follow on Isamuyn... especially since they were now entwined in conversation. It was not a sudden suggestion it to move, but it was a suggestion nonetheless.

Already, Jacqueline trotted ahead of them down the path that they would take towards the lake. Duesso was clever enough to fly ahead of her.
Kate

Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:13 am

When the runner jolted to the side, even though he had been chuckling, Devyn felt his heart jump into his throat. While the feeling only lasted a moment, he couldn’t help but wonder what exactly had made him so nervous for his friend. Of course he didn’t want his friend to fall off his horse, but the rational part him told himself to just calm down a bit. Ambr knew how to ride, and knew this runner. He wasn’t going to fall, everything was going to be just fine.

Blue eyes glanced at his friend, and briefly a frown came to his face as he saw the look on Ambr’s own face. Of course, he didn’t say anything. Even though a little time had passed, it hadn’t been enough to ease the hurt that his friend felt after loosing his dragon. Devyn knew it would take more time, and he didn’t want his friend to feel like he was being pressured to talk or anything like that.

For a moment, the dark haired man found himself wondering if Ambr was going to speak again, and finally he did, asking for the name of the unbounded daywher. Smiling he said, ”His name is Cambys.”

As Ambr explained that he had seen the daywher a few times. ”I didn’t think he wandered that far out, but you never know I guess.”

As Ambr led the way, Isamuyn was happy to quickly pax after the runner. Everyone was enjoying this beautiful day, and this was a place he didn’t come very often. Plus, his handler was happy, so he was happy. Devyn smiles softly, ”I forgot how beautiful it is out here. I’m glad you settled in all right and like everything.”
Shaihulud

Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:55 pm

”His name is Cambys.”

Cambys... The name found a place in the man's memory, scrawled upon scrap of paper and tucked into a book that he returned to the shelf. Ambrosius would not forget it.

”I didn’t think he wandered that far out, but you never know I guess.”

"The ride is not that far, and well within the weyr patrol," answered Ambrosius as Purefoy fell into a trot. With ease, he rose and fell in his seat to match the runner's gait. "Though... it is odd he would come alone. I thought daywhers scouted in pairs for safety." Keen to dragonkin, Ambrosius knew when they lurked about. He felt Cambys, but only Cambys, thus there was no possibility of a second wher hiding in the brush. "Normally, he leaves before dusk, when the felines come out." Before dusk came, Ambrosius would bring Devyn home.

”I forgot how beautiful it is out here. I’m glad you settled in all right and like everything.”

"It is quieter," Ambrosius replied. "I don't feel the dragons as much any more." It meant less reminders of Bowith, though coming to the weyr always reminded the man of his own hollowness. "I must warn you it's... simpler-" he paused for a moment as he guided Purefoy up a small part of path that tipped with the wear of wheels. It was a path commonly taken by the miners with the caravans of firestone, trains of rock from the quarries, and the guarded carts of precious gems. Each wagon was heavily laden, making their grooved marks along the roads. Thus carefully, he guided Purefoy to walk around them. The gelding did not protest- "I'll be sure to make some food. I have some meat carved for us, though it will be lean." It was from the feline he killed not long ago. "It is not like the bovines and wherries they serve in the weyr."
Kate

Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:06 am

Devyn nodded as his friend spoke. What the other man said was true. Sure they were farther out, but Ambr was right. It was not out of the patrol area, but at the same time, it was indeed odd that he was out here all by himself. Usually they didn’t do patrols by themselves. Also, since the feline attacks they rarely ventured out that far away from the pack, especially at night. Then again, if it was what Cambys wanted to do, there was really no stopping him. Besides, they knew he’d be as safe as he could, and if he didn’t think he could handle it, then he just wouldn’t do it. Smiling softly, the chimera handler said,”Well I am certainly glad to hear that that is the case. I wouldn’t want him to be here all alone when the felines came out. We don’t need to lose anymore daywhers from the Pack. Or handlers.”

For a moment his face fell, but he quickly put a small smile on. Thoughts of Esca came to his mind, but he quickly pushed them away. It was ok to be sad for a moment, but the chimera handler had moved on, or at least, working on it anyway.

As they made their way to Ambr’s place, Devyn smiles as he spoke. ”Simpler is usually better. In my opinion anyway.” Isamuyn picked his way behind the runner and Devyn looks dat the ground, noticing the ruts. To him it seemed almost like wagons, but it had been so long since he had seen those kinds of tracks that he wasn’t exactly sure if he was right.

At the mention of good, his stomach rumbled a bit. He had eaten but for some reason he was still a bit hungry. Oh well, it could wait. Chuckling he said, ”I’m sure whatever you make will be great.” By now, Devyn figured they had to be coming up on his house. While he had been there once when. They weee building it, he couldn’t remember exactly where it was.
Shaihulud

Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:11 pm

Part of Ambrosius agreed with Devyn, the part of himself that longed for peace and seclusion. It saw the the benefit of a simple lifestyle away from the chaos of society, a place where he might fall into routine away from the disruptions of others. However, the other part of himself, the one who spent turns in the Hold at Lady Inez's side, longed for a rich cut of bovine that melted upon the tongue, a fillet of fish with a ginger glaze, or a moist breast of wherry with a drizzle of a white wine based cream sauce...

”I’m sure whatever you make will be great.”

"Perhaps," Ambrosius answered. He managed a smile for all his voice continued to carry the ever present note of melancholy. "Are you hungry already? I do have some bread, though the stew will not be finished for another candlemark." At present, he had the dish burning in a cauldron over the hearth. It had sat there since morning, a slow cook for Devyn to enjoy. The dragonless man was insistent that everything be just right tonight. Even if his day to day struggles were persistent, Ambrorius knew he needed to move on with his life. Over three months had passed since Bowith's departure, and even Ambrosius knew it was time to move on and rebuild his life.

He swallowed at the thought, though it was hard to stop the nerves that suddenly swarmed his chest, and nearly suffocated his pounding heart. Did Devyn not say he would consider it? Had not nearly half a turn passed since they last spoke on the matter? Much had changed, much for the worst, but Ambrosius needed to find his pace in life again, and fulfil Bowith's final wish. He found it promising that he and Devyn had lived so well together during his recovery. There were moments even... No, Ambrosius could not think of that, not when the inevitability of disappointment lingered. Ultimately, he realised he knew Devyn well enough to know the handler would stay true to his character. Expectations needed to be kept within reason, but, above all, he still needed an answer, even if it was an answer he did not like.

At the very least, Devyn would always be his friend, but it was time to either step through the door, or close it entirely.
Kate

Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:03 am

Devyn have his friend an almost goofy grin, and he couldn’t help but laugh. ”Did you even have to ask that?” It wasn’t very often that Devyn was not hungry, and it had become almost like a joke between the two of them. Finally he shook his head and said, ”Honestly I am a little bit hungry, but I can wait until dinner is ready. It’s not like I’m starving or anything.”

Come to think of it, if he remembered correctly, Ambr was actually a damn fine cook. Although to be fair, Devyn had yet to really find a meal he didn’t like, no matter who cooked it. Esca has actually usually been the one to cook when he was around. The chimera handler did not really MIND cooking, it was just not exactly one of his favorite things. When he did do it, he wasn’t terrible, but what he was terrible at was cleaning up. Making the mess was all fine and dandy, but having to pick it up afterwards was really not one of his favorite things.

For the time being, the two of them settled into a kind of silence. It wasn’t exactly awkward but it certainly wasn’t exactly a comfortable silence either. Devyn felt as though something was strange between them, but he quickly wrote it off as part of the fact that they hadn’t seen each other in a while. When they had been living together, everything had been fine. Now that Ambr was out here, away from everyone, Devyn had found himself wondering of late if his friend might have changed a bit.

The thought made him feel like a terrible friend. What kind of person thought that way about their friends? Finally, he let out a small sigh, more to himself than anything. No everything was going to be just fine between the two of them. Nothing had changed.

Finally they reached their destination and Devyn climbed down from his faster, blue eyes glancing around, taking everything in. ”Wow, this is amazing. I guess I forgot what it looked like abs everything. I would certainly say it suits you.”