Sunset's Joy - 26th Wher Clutch

Similar to the hatching grounds, but on a much smaller scale. These sands can hold one to two wher females and their clutches at one time. They are heated by a hypocaust system underneath the sands so the wher eggs stay warm.
Ainokesshou

Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:11 pm

Of course Galana had been aware that there were four eggs remaining, but after Gask hatched, she barely cared. On some level she felt that she should, because she was probably going to be spending a bit of time with the new handlers...though she wasn’t sure what the procedure was for a handler who already had one adult wher when she bonded to a second. Surely they wouldn’t expect her to move Galask back into the barracks?

But she would get to learn the results of the remainder of the Hatching later, when Gask’s belly wasn’t so empty. Galask, oddly pleased at the turn of events, kept interjecting comments into the electrum’s rambling about her hunger, her concern because surely Galana must be hungry too and Gask could share, was Gask eating too much? Would there be enough for the other hatchlings?

Galana was comforting her on that subject while giving her another piece of raw meat, (No, Galana wasn’t hungry, thank you for the offer to share, dear,) when she heard a very loud POP. It was loud enough to turn the hungry electrum’s head away from the bowl of meat her handler was holding, though she trailed a little bit of extra tendrils of meat with the bite she had just accepted. It was certainly loud enough to turn Galana’s head as well.

He was a pretty blue, of course, but Galana was more pleased (relieved, so relieved) to see the egg in Sterling’s hands. She had not thought about the woman since Gask hatched, and would have only felt her discomfort and guilt magnified if she had. But there, Sterling had an egg. But who was the blue for?

Her focus was pulled away from Gask for the duration of the little drama, but she wasn’t the only one paying attention to Sterling’s situation. They share, Gask informed her, quite satisfied with the situation. Share good. Galask share Gask. Stersk share Linsk. Gask share food?

“No, Gask, I’m sure there’s plenty of FOOD for them both, it’s more a question of their human having enough hands to feed them both at once. Giving them some of your food won’t make that any easier,” she murmured to the hatchling.
Quiloth     Elahrairath     Nahumth      
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
   Atumra       Panlovis     Galask  Gask                      
Marvealle
Site Admin
Title: Foxy Prince
Pronouns: Any

Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:52 pm

The confusion and mild drama of the double bond to the wherless Sterling could only hold things back for so long. As it became apparent that things worked out positively for the new and unexpected trio, people looked to the final egg of the hatching. Many suspected this final egg to be a dud, and in fact, a couple of spectators were getting ready to leave, with a few sure enough to filter out. Seven out of eight eggs hatched was a great outcome, and duds were so common that they almost couldn't be blamed for assuming. Fersk though, like any mother might, snorted at them as those few people left. Only she knew her eggs, after all, and she wasn't going to give up on her final egg so quickly.

Curling around the last egg, she held onto it for a while longer, nuzzling it and caring for it as if it were a newly laid egg. This was her last of this clutch, she wanted to be with it as long as possible. Just as it seemed like the egg would turn out to be a dud and Ferghas might have to convince her of the truth, Fersk let out a whuff of sound like a sigh and stood back up to look through the candidates a final time. She was a first time mother, perhaps she didn't realize the likely fate of her last egg?

Despite the increasing belief of those in attendance that this final egg would not hatch, Fersk carefully looked through the final candidates for this final egg, being most careful about this one. She seemed to make her choice, padding back to the egg before scooting it across the sands until it was most of the way to the remaining candidates before she stopped.

You. Last egg to you. Take good care.

She looked directly at Corbin, directing her thoughts to him as she stared him down. She didn't move from the egg when he first approached, eyeing him a moment longer before she finally backed away. It wasn't that she didn't trust him, but that was her final egg, and she didn't really want to let it go. She had to though, and so she stepped away to let Corbin have his time with the egg. Her time with her clutch was over now, as sad as that was.

There was some awkward murmuring as the final egg stood where Fersk had left it, some feeling bad for the candidate, and some people who had been around for it recalled the time a wher mother had given an egg that hadn't hatched on its own and the white hatchling inside had died. Was it happening again? Was this candidate destined for disappointment?

Then the egg moved quite clearly before everyone who watched, as if to tell them all how silly they were, writing this egg off without even giving it a chance. Maybe it was a bit slower than the others, but still good as it gave another shake and cracked clearly formed. Then a wing popped out of the egg with a crack sound, with the base of a hatchling neck pressing up against the opening to get out. Another few good pushes and the egg edges broke, releasing the hatchling so that he tumbled out onto the sands.

Now free, he opened his large eyes and blinked in the dim cavern. His hide was dark in color, almost hiding what color he was in the dim lighting, but as he moved, even the minimal light couldn't hide the play of colors across his body. A prism, clearly, as he stood up and looked straight up to Corbin before him.

Look grumpy. But like. Corsk like you. Corsk's now. He said, craning his head forward to nibble on Corbin's clothes.

Corsk hunger. Find food or eat clothes. The prism hatchling threatened playfully as he lipped uselessly at Corbin's uniform.
The Ambitious Aurora Wherling
Prism
Corsk

-:- Bonded To -:-
Corbin (Parker)
-:- Personality -:-
Honest, Ambitious, Receptive, Supportive, Witty
-:- Color Codes -:-
#1E1920, #241D43, #71449A, #3C9DAE
-:- Final Size -:-
21 ft.
Many people were left wrong about this final egg, a pleasant surprise really. People smiled warmly to see such a good strong clutch hatch in its full. The hatching was over, ending very well and leaving many with hope for the future of whers and the future of these new handlers as well.
Atricis: Next Generation
~..:: Character Tracker & Plotter | Marks Tracker ::..~
Nali ..::||::.. K'rin ..::||::.. M'ir ..::||::.. Raevin ..::||::.. Inakil ..::||::.. Elias ..::||::..
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
..::||::.. Sterling ..::||::.. Vithire ..::||::.. Lolena'vas ..::||::.. Rey'vas ..::||::..
Parker
Site Admin
Title: High Ebilness
Pronouns: He/Him

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:25 pm

There was only one egg left. Corbin knew what that likely meant and the fact that some of the spectators were already beginning to leave only reinforced what he was thinking. It was very common for there to be duds in a wher clutch. So common in fact that the fact there was only one was a bit of a surprise. It was a little heart breaking to watch the mother move back to the remaining, still egg and curl around it. Corbin didn't envy her handler having to convince her that the egg was dead. He was debating himself if perhaps it was time for him to leave and find something to do with himself for the rest of the day. It wasn't as if he could spar with Joss now. The man had been lucky enough to be picked. Perhaps he would be a little bad and steal himself a bottle of wine or something to enjoy. He didn't get a chance to make that decision though as Fersk padded up to him and told him that he was to take her last egg.

Corbin opened his mouth to protest, but the way she stared him down made him think otherwise. Apparently she didn't know that the egg was a dud, but he supposed it wouldn't hurt him to stand by the egg for a few minutes until her handler could explain things to her. Corbin looked over at Ferghas, but the man just gave him a shrug. Lot of help he was. He huffed and crossed his arms as he looked down at the poor pathetic egg. This was not helping his mood any. It was bad enough to not be chosen, but to be chosen for an egg that would never hatch was worse.

Wait a minute...did the egg just move?

Yes, it did. Corbin's interest instantly picked up as he knelt down beside the egg. Suddenly a wing broke through and then the rest of the egg cracked and fell away to reveal a very dark baby. Look grumpy. But like. Corsk like you. Corsk's now. A deep emotion, like none he'd known before, assaulted his mind, heart, and soul with those first words. A smile cracked on his face as he watched the little prism nibble on his clothes. Corsk hunger. Find food or eat clothes. Corbin chuckled at that and gently pulled the cloth out of his mouth.

"No no. Clothes are not good for you. I may look grumpy, but I promise I will take great care of you, Corsk. Come, follow me, and I'll get you something better to eat than clothing." Corbin promised his amazing wher as he gently rubbed his head and picked tiny fragments of shell off of him. "We're going to need to get you a bath too." He said as he stood and watched as Corsk wobbled after him on shaky legs. Food first. But bath sound nice. Corsk all gooey. The prism agreed. Corbin still couldn't believe his luck. He would apologize to Fersk later for thinking she'd been wrong about her egg, but for now all he wanted to do was spend time with Corsk. He still owed Joss the first drinks whenever they graduated wherlinghood, but that didn't matter. He was simply happy to have bonded this time and to the most perfect of whers.
Image Image Image Image Image
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Image Image Image Image Image
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Car'vis and Corentivis | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

.::..::..::..::..::..
PC Character Tracker | Marks Tracker | NPC Stash
LdyPayne

Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:05 pm

Tag L'van

Learning there had been a female brownrider as Weyrleader certainly sparked her interest in being the next one ten fold. If Atricis accepted such a thing then her own ambitions could be realized without having to worry about extreme presecution. Whether it had been easy for Ay'li Lerina had no idea but that was something she could ask once she had a chance to get to know the brownrider.

"I will be sure to ask her about it soon," Lerina responded. Her father's offer to teach her about being a Weyrleader brought out a smile. "I'll like that, especially the day to day routines and of course all the boring hidework. Or do they call it paperwork here?"

It had been a surprise for Lerina to learn Atricis rarely used hide anymore to keep records. It was one of the many differences about the South she discovered in the first few months of her settling in. She was certain there was plenty of other things done differently here she had yet to encounter. One of the first things she had learned was how Flights were handled. If Issormoth chased she didn't have to worry about ending up in bed with somebody she had no interest in, which pretty much was everybody. However, now that she felt Issmorth's desire she suspected she could easily just let it consume her and not worry about her own typical lack of interest in that area. Lerina might do that if it wasn't for the fact pregnancy was always a risk and children wasn't something she had any desire for.

There was no more time to talk as another Wher hatched, this one also so very beautifully pattern Lerina was amazed. If anybody ever said Wher's were ugly they clearly hadn't seen any. With the eggs that hatched so far Lerina saw they were as beautiful as dragons even if flightless and more stocky built. Then there were the floppy ears but Lerina found it added a sort of cuteness to the wherlets.

"Is that a Garnet?" Lerina asked, not being all that well versed on the various types of Whers. She knew about Garnet dragons having seen a few at Atricis and asked about them. Igen was very much limited to the standard green, blue, brown, bronze and gold colours given they were overall so rigidly opposed to anything different. It was amazing female greenriders were accepted as much as they were.

The hatching of a blue and green who ended up bonding to a single woman surprised Lerina as well. She never knew Wherhandlers could bond to two Whers at the same time. She had heard a Wherhandler sometime took a second Wher but that tale was something she was never 100% sure of. What she did know about Wherhandlers is they could re-bond after the loss of their first Wher and Wher's didn't go Between when they lost their Handlers or even need Handlers to begin with.

"I didn't know you could bond two Whers," Lerina responded softly, watching how the woman reacted to having two Wherlets wanting her attention.

Whenthe last egg hatched, Lerina again was taken aback by the unusual coloration. At first she thought it was black then noticed the shimmering rainbow of colours, almost like a starry night. He was very beautiful or was it a she? Lerina couldn't tell, her knowledge of Wher colours was limited. "That last one is realy gorgeous...but I don't know what kind of Wher it is either."

ooc: Sorry for the slow response, thought I had replied already then realized I didn't. Guess better late than never right?
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:20 am

Tag: Lerina
It made him proud that his daughter held so much interest in wanting to meet Ay'li, and in wanting to learn about being a leader. He wasn't going to tell his friend about it either, he wanted it to be a natural happening, something that took place without his interference. Let his daughter make the arrangements without his involvement, he thought. She deserved to do things on her own. "You'll like Ay'li. She can teach you as much about leading as I can." And she would make a good mentor to his daughter, he thought, and that was something that Lerina could use - a female brownrider that she could look up to.

He glanced out at the sands at Lerina's comment about the wher, and shook his head, noting the red markings, but smiling all the same. "No, not a garnet, but close. That would be what is known as an agate. There are some here, though there aren't very many at the moment. He's a stunning example of one, isn't he?" The longer the hatching progressed, the more happy he was that he was able to experience it with his daughter - now he was thrilled that he'd mentioned it to her during her birthday, that he was able to share this moment with her.

He hummed when he spotted the bonding of the two whers, which was an unusual occurrence. Not unheard of, just something that he'd never seen himself. "I've heard of it happening, but this is the first time I've seen it myself." He told her, in all honesty. "That handler is going to have her hands full. I imagine it'd be a lot like having two dragons to tend to, almost. Not quite as heavy mentally, but pretty taxing all the same. Good for her though, it must be pretty special to have that happen, regardless."

But then there was silence, as they waited for the final egg to hatch, and L'van watched as an indeed gorgeous wher hatched. He thought it might be something new, a sport or variant of some sort. But the shimmer of rainbows told him exactly what it was and he smiled at his daughter's question, glad he was able to answer her once again. "I do believe that's a prism. Another fine example. They're of a line called Isilian, I believe. I can help you find records about them, if you're interested in reading more, or even lead you to the Tunnelhold's former Matriarch if you'd like to learn more about the particular lines that come from there."
LdyPayne

Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:23 am

tag L'van

Lerina certainly hoped she did get along with Ay'li, it would be great to know somebody who knew what it was like to be prosecuted just because they Impressed a brown. Lerina would never blame Issormoth for chosen her but she also knew it wasn't her fault he found her the best suited to him. Yet Lerina was treated like it was her fault he chose her which was ridiculous as dragons knew who their lifemate was, it wasn't like he didn't have plenty of boys to choose from. Despite the hardships Lerina would never regret being bonded to Issormoth, in fact she doubted she would have been happy on any other colour.

"An agate, now I see where I was mistaken," Lerina looked back towards the agate and now saw the differences in colour and pattern than a garnet.

"Wher's don't get as big as dragons so there's that advantage. Unless I am wrong in assuming blues and green Whers are also the smaller sizes like they are in dragons?"

She considered talking to the former Matriarch but decided her curiosity could be satisfied by just looking for the records herself when she had free time. "No need to go looking for the records father, I am sure I can find them once I have free time to search for them. Thank you for offering though." Looking back at the nest Lerina saw all the eggs were hatched and already the newly bonded Handlers were leading their new charges away to be fed she assumed.

"I really enjoyed the Hatching, thank you for joining me for the event," Lerina thanked her father. "Want to walk me to my Apartment? I would offer some Klah when we arrive but we probably should get some sleep before dawn comes and we have to resume our usual daytime duties."
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:53 am

Tag: Lerina
"You're not wrong about that at all." L'van said with a smile, about to teach her an interesting fact when it came to whers. "Speaking of the blue and green whers, you might be interested to know that when they're full grown, they're roughly the size of a hatchling bronze or gold dragon. Not always exact, it's generally a give or take depending on the size of the fully grown beast and the newborn dragon, but for the most part it's fairly accurate in terms of average sizes."

The last of the eggs hatched, she asked for a walk to her apartment, and he liked the idea of being able to do that. Standing, he offered her his arm. "That's okay. Perhaps you could join me for a cup after drills tomorrow? I've got a busy schedule after lunch, but that period between drills and noon is free up. I'd be happy to meet for a mug or two if you'd like." It was nice, having things (almost) back to where they'd been prior to his departure from Igen. Hopefully they would continue down this road.

Goodnight to you, Lerina. I'm glad you were able to see the hatching of the cousins with your sire.

He chuckled and shook his head. "And here I thought he was asleep." He said as they neared her door. I wanted to make sure Soquilith had a buck in case she woke up hungry. That said, he returned to a state of quiet being, and L'van stopped at his daughter's door, moving to give her fingers a squeeze. "I had a lot of fun sharing that with you tonight. Now all we need to see together is a daywher hatching and a pearl hatching and we can say we've seen them all, yes?" He chuckled and winked, though he was entirely serious - if she was willing, they would go to one of each together.