Meet the Family [Tag: Jaray and Halia]

Nothing like the Isil Tunnelhold the wherhandlers used to live in, these tunnels are just big enough for dark living spaces for the handlers and their whers, a small hatching sands, and a small lounge for the whers and any unbonded whers during the day. Wherlings move straight into the dens after bonding.
Meesh

Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:07 am

Time: Sunset, a few days post hatching

Sunset was the usual time for Mykel and Halia to meet up. Just as the day handler was finishing his day of patrols and other duties, Halia would be starting hers. Normally, Mykel would have been meeting with Halia a lot more often, but out of respect for how exhausted she must be with her new bond, he kept away. But Mykel ws not patient in the slightest, and even Jezebel agreed that it was completely unaccaptable that an entire four days had passed since Hask's hatching without their meeting the latest member of their pack, so Mykel had borrowed a flit from one of the other day handlers and sent it with a message to Halia.
Commons, usual time. We wanna meet Jez's new little sibling! -M
For once, Jezebel and Mykel shared the exact same level of enthusiasm. Mykel was astride Jezebel's back as the rose day wher trotted down the tunnels. They had just returned from the day's patrol, and were sweaty and tired to show for it, but the prospect of seeing new family brought a spring to Jezebel's step. Fortunately, they were not weighed down by heavy tack or armor, as Mykel and Jezebel had shed that all upon returning. Mykel was dressed now in a light tunic and shorts, and Jezebel tackless.

Though they still recieved odd look sfrom some of the night whers, Mykel and Jezebel were well known by now for their regular visits to Halia. So they managed to speed through to the commons quickly, uninterrupted and unchallenged. "Hal!" Mykel clled as he and Jezebel burst in, sliding off of Jezebel's back. Briefly, his muscles reminded him that he had just been on a patrol, and a long one, but Jezebel thrust her head under one of Mykel's arms to steady him until he had regained his footing, before stepping back and snorting a hello to Halia and the...the two wherlets?

"A green...and a blue?" Mykel burst into a giant grin. "Why Hal you wherry, you didn't tell me you had dual bonded! Congrats!" The day handler knelt down by Jask, throwing his arms around the blue in a giant hug. "Hey there, new family!" he said to the blue in absolute delight, trying to kiss him on the nose. "Welcome to the world! I'm your uncle Mykel, and there's Jezebel, and we're going to have so much fun!" He glanced up at Halia. "I don't care what you say, Jez and I get to teach them how to hunt." he grinned.

Jezebel, meanwhile, padded over to sniff at the second wherlet, Hask. Little one. she said affectionately, and that's when she felt the surge of Caretaker protectiveness kick in, the desire to raise this little wherlet and care for it as her own. Welcome to the world. Now I'm glad we met you early, we can still make a proper day wher of you yet. thoroughly deciding that she these two wherlets were her own, Jezebel settled down and quickly began washing Hask with her rough tongue, cleaning off the wherlet's hide of some imagined dirtiness. Now if your hide is even the slightest bit dirty you have to either get it yourself or make your handler do it. Dirty hide is unhealthy hide. she lectured, just as if she were scolding Mykel about keeping his hair clean or scrubbing underneath his nails.
Slasher

Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:29 am

Since receiving Hask, Halia’s life had been…a roller coaster. Once they had been assigned their new home, both of them immediately fell asleep. The next evening, they woke, and Halia had to learn how to start taking care of her new wherlet. First the blooding, then a bath, feeding, basically rinse and repeat for the past couple of days. And then she received a message from her twin, and honestly, Halia of course knew she couldn’t put it off any longer. Not that she wanted to. Honestly, she had been so stretched, that she hadn’t thought of it.

Not to mention the lessons, and the fact that Jaray was in them. Talk about a distraction! It was probably a good thing they had the babies to distract them, because Halia couldn’t help but catch herself stealing glances at him when she could. Shard the rules! But honestly, what would they do? Would they try and take Hask from her? As self-centered as the green was proving to be, Halia couldn’t imagine life without her. It was the possibility of trouble that kept her hands(if not her mind when Hask was asleep) entirely pure.

As they rose, and Halia readied to go meet her brother, and while she was feeding Hask her breakfast, it in fact proved a possible coincidence that Jaray was nearby. It had been mentioned briefly before, since Jask seemed agreeable to the idea, and Hask was oblivious unless it negatively or positively affected her directly, that Halia keep an eye on the baby blue for a mark while Jaray went to see his daughters. Halia of course knew it almost pained the man to be away from his girls, and since Jask was agreeable, and the fact that Halia was just going to be sitting in the common area, it was decided that evening would be a good time. Honestly, Halia was excited to think of the surprise on the girl’s faces when their father showed up out of the blue.

So there was Halia, petting Hask(who was slightly grumpy to have to share her handler’s attentions with the blue, but tolerant because he didn’t irritate her directly), while sharp gray-blue eyes watched Jask nose around curiously. Occasionally the blue would ask a question, and Halia would do her best to answer. She had the feeling it wouldn’t be too long before her brother showed though.

And the young woman was correct! In fact-The girl stood to greet her twin as she saw the rose and her handler come tramping in. “Mykel!” she took a step, and then blinked. Mykel practically pounced upon Jask, while the sudden cacophony of confusion and irritation exploded in her mind as Jezebel glomped Hask. Whoa! Halia’s hand flew to her head, and she literally had to take a second to sort the sudden flux of voices.

“Alright, wait now!” Her first instinct was to save Hask, since she was her own wher, but at the same time, she was supposed to be taking care of Jask. So the girl pounced, and scrambled. She took several steps, and then set both hands on her hips, “I see, so you only came, just to molest the wherlets? That’s hardly fair! Where’s my own hug, huh? I see how it is. Now that there’s babies, you don’t need me anymore.”

It seemed that Hask at least could recover quickly, as the green slipped and scrambled her way out of Jezebel’s claws, Not dirty! Hask’s good. Pink rude. The green sat up on her haunches and eyed Jezebel with reproachful, whirling eyes. Halia turned then and shook her head, “Jezebel, Mykel, they aren’t both mine! Only Hask is mine.” At the sound of her name, the green flopped back down, and walked to Halia, curling and settling behind the girls legs. Gesturing, “Jask bonded with a friend of mine, he went to see his children, so I’m keeping an eye on him.” She leaned down and gestured towards the blue, “You alright, Jask?” Honestly, the woman didn’t know where this whirlwind came from, but her brother had obviously gotten over some of his awkwardness.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
~:Stories:~ ~:Monies:~ ~:Plotter:~
Altreis

Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:09 pm

Wherlets, thankfully, were not quite as possessive as dragons so wherlings has looser restrictions in some areas. For instance they didn't have to be with their wherlets all the time though they still needed to be with them most of the time. They could also have relationships with other people, up to the romantic level, though they still had to remain celibate. Jaray wasn't planning on anything romantic but if he'd been a weyrling he wouldn't even be able to do much that was friendly for a month or two. With Jask he was able to get a little time to himself, something he used to his advantage as soon as he wasn't tired out from the bonding.

He'd effectively disappeared on his daughters for the last four days. They knew there'd been a Hatching but he hadn't been to visit them since. This evening he planned on finding them and letting them know their father was okay, if tired, and had bonded. It took a little convincing but eventually Jask agreed to stay with Halia and Hask long enough for Jaray to find his daughters and tell them the good news.

It was definitely worth it too, with the way the girls rushed to hug him (Ayami had healed and been released from the Infirmary, thank Faranth) and then squealed with delight for him when he informed them he was a wherling now. They weren't as thrilled about seeing less of him and being unable to meet Jask for several months yet but they knew how important it was to their father and were thrilled for him. Jaray had his breakfast with them before going back, promising to try and visit them when he could. About the same time he started heading back he felt a flash of irritation from Jask, though it wasn't aimed at him. Something was up...and Jaray picked up his pace.

Okay...Jask had agreed to let His Jaray go elsewhere briefly because he sensed how important the matter was to him and it gave him a chance to know Hask and Hask's better. Hask's was special to Jaray, though Jask knew not why...and he was determined to find out! However while he was amenable to spending time with Halia and Hask, looking around so he didn't appear to be observing them even though he was, he had most certainly not agreed to have a human shaped flit attack him!

The moment the strange looking pink wher and her handler arrived Jask had taken to watching them too. He bristled when the handler he didn't know plopped down by him and growled a warning when he was hugged. But instead of letting him go the flit kept chattering and leaned his face towards Jask-oh no he didn't! With a snarl the blue wherlet snapped at him, hoping a good, solid bite would make him back off finally. This crazy handler claimed he was Jask's Uncle, whatever that was. Jezebel? What a strange name for a wher...but then she was a strange wher so he supposed it fit. He didn't even notice the pink wher go over and start cleaning Hask.

At Halia's question the blue/grey wherlet turned glaring orange eyes on her and snarled. Jask attacked! Not alright!

He might have tried snapping again if strong hands didn't tug him away from the stranger, pulling him into a familiar hug. "Jask, you know better!" Jaray scolded in a stern voice. "You cain't go about bitin' people for huggin' you!" He turned to Mykel, ignoring Jask's growled protests. "I'm sorry if he hurt you; he's jus' a young'un and got startled."
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Meesh

Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:17 pm

Mykel's eyes widened and the day handler managed to let go and jolt back just in time to miss teeth closing in almost on his nose. He could still feel the rush of air though, and the gentle scrape of teeth just barely missing, but fortunately was able to escape the worst of injury or drawn blood. It didn't phase the day handler for long though, and he soon broke out into a grin, shrugging it off to the newcomer. "Ah, I jus' startled him, it was my fault anyways!" Mykel glanced up from Jask to Jaray to Halia to Hask, a brief comprehension dawning in his eyes before he gave a huge mock frown to Halia. "So I'm not a double-uncle after all? Well that's a dissapointment right there Hal." Mykel chuckled, standing finally and leaning forward to give Halia a hug. "And I'm sorry I didn't hug you first. Sorry though, but thems cuter." Mykel nodded towards Hask and Jask, a teasing smile in his voice.

He hugged his sister once again, then glanced over to Jaray, slight curiosity in his eyes. Mykel knew night whers and day whers were pretty different, but still, for someone to give their wher over to another Wherling for caretaking only a few days after hatching? Mykel glanced from Jaray to Halia pointedly, raising an eyebrow at his sister in silent question. It perhaps marked some of his growth that he didn't ask her outright what was going on, but there was no doubt the rose handler would be asking later what was going on with his sister. Instead, he grinned and stepped back so he was next to Halia, facing Jaray. "Sorry for mixing up the wherlets, old chap, I was thinking my sister had double impressed or something. If I may-" Mykel crouched by Jask, voice changing cadence at once to something kinder, more experience. He was, after all, originally a beast crafter. "Hey there little guy, sorry for scaring you. I wasn't trying to hurt your or nothing, just show affection - kind of like when you nuzzle someone. I'll leave ya alone from now on if you like, alright?" Apology complete, Mykel bounced back up again, sticking his hand out to Jaray. "Also hi to you too! I'm Mykel and this is Jezebel and I guess you and Halia have already met!"

Jezebel lifted her head to blow a puff of air in greeting, rumbling a hello, but she quickly moved into a crouch again, head swinging until she was looking at her new cub (it was totally hers now). I am not rude. she sniffed, but then crooned appeasingly, trying to draw the green wherlet back towards her once more. I'm just trying to be friendly. Now won't you come ou and say hello? the rose day wher shifted awkwardly, realizing her own inexperience. For all of Jezebel's caretaker nature, she had never actually clutched before, nor even really dealt with cubs aside from those she grew up with. She really wasn't quite sure what to do, though it seemed she wasn't getting off to a great start.
Slasher

Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:34 pm

The fact that Jask literally tried to bit Mykel, Halia couldn’t help but blame the young blue. It could be very disconcerting to suddenly be grabbed and jostled about. She even couldn’t blame the blue for getting mad at her either. Luckily, it seemed it wouldn’t last long, and Mykel was quick enough(and smart enough) to back up from the wherlet. Hask hissed under her breath, still crouching behind Halia, her own gaze whirling red and yellows, creating a vague orange haze look, Stranger bad. Rude! Halia frowned, and her mind was torn then between soothing her green, trying to soothe Jask, and dealing with the now upset Rose, and her vaguely spastic twin.

Luckily, one thing was save as Jaray seemed to swoop out of nowhere, and snatched his blue up, “Shards, Jaray…” That bit was under her breath as she sighed, and knelt, cooing for a moment at Hask, “I’m sorry for that, Hask, Jezebel is just so excited to meet you!” Hask grumbled and took another step, trying to squeeze herself more behind Halia.

Right about then was when Mykel came and gave her a hug, so the young woman returned the squeeze, then glanced between both men, and the babies, and the daywher, “Jaray, I hope we didn’t interrupt you and your girls. My twin and his were just…a bit exuberant…” She at a loss for a moment.

Shaking her head, she took a breath, “Alright! Mykel, I bonded green Hask. Jaray,” she glanced to the man, and then back to her twin in time to see the question, meaningful look Mykel gave her. The girl hated that exact moment, because with that look, she knew the question, and she could do nothing to stop the sudden, and obvious eruption of crimson onto her cheeks. Finally, she coughed softly, and pushed on, even with red cheeks, “Jaray bonded to blue Jask. Jaray, Jask, this is my twin Mykel, and his rose daywher, Jezebel.” She gestured to each name as she said it, then glanced down at Hask.

The young woman seemed to take strength from her wher as she then faced the men, her head high, and for the moment, her cheeks tamed of their flaming color. Meanwhile, Hask eyed Jezebel as she spoke to her, peeking around Halia’s legs. The green could tell the rose didn’t want to harm her, but she was still so…just why? With a soft sneeze, Hask stepped out, and while staring at Jezebel suspiciously, wandered towards Jask in Jaray’s arms. It seemed the green ahd decided for that moment that if her fellow wherlet was unharmed, perhaps she would be safe as well. Jask hurt? Honestly, it was probably only her own self-interest that spurred her to ask.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Altreis

Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:38 pm

Jask was well pleased with the result of his snap. He might not have bit the flit-like human but he did get him to back away and give him his space. It wasn't about harming or causing pain; Jask had only wanted his space. Now that he had it he was a bit happier, although he didn't like being scolded by his handler. Flit attack Jask! he protested.

"He didden attack you; he was huggin' you!" Jaray replied, voice still stern but with a touch of exasperation added in now. "Some folks say hah that way. He's jus' bein' friendly."

More grumbling met Jaray's words but Jask was calming down. He was mostly irritated now, eyes mostly green/blue with orange sparks. Bah, and there was the flit again, although he came more slowly and didn't try to touch Jask this time. The blue wher watched, waited, listened...and when the one called Mykel was at his closest Jask snorted in his face. Slower next time! he told Mykel, though the rest of the orange sparks faded.

At the same time Jaray was staring at Mykel, not sure what to make of him. He just...didn't...stop. And "old chap"? Jaray was, granted, quite a bit older than Mykel or Halia but he wasn't exactly ancient yet. He was still young and strong...well...he would be, by the time he graduated. Jaray hadn't exactly been working out lately. Still, watching him practically bounce around as he moved over to Halia... "Ah...I think I see what you mean Jask..." he mumbled, prompting a smug chirp from his blue. Told you.

A hand was thrust at him and Jaray flinched away before realizing Mykel was introducing himself. "Uh yeah, I've met Halia and Hask," Jaray said, shifting Jask so he could reach out and shake Mykel's hand. "Name's Jaray. It's a...interestin' makin' your acquaintince. Jezebel huh? She's perdy." And a day wher... Jaray stared then, looking from Mykel to Halia. And then Halia confirmed his suspicions: this incredibly energetic day wherhandler was her twin brother. Oh boy...

He waited while Halia went to introduce both men and their whers to one another, one eyebrow arching at the display, particularly when she flushed deeply after glancing at her twin. "'A bit exuberant?'" Jaray asked, chuckling. "Jask insists your twen is a fleeter and I'm inclahned to agree. Where's he git all that energy? And no...I jus' left m'gurls when Jask fired up."

Flits always energetic... Jask grumbled, broadcasting so all could hear him. He looked down as Hask approached, snorting at her question. Jask not hurt, he insisted, amused. Flit annoying.
Meesh

Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:07 pm

A giant grin spread across Mykel's face at Jaray's description of him and he couldn't help but let out a bubble of laughter. "Me? A flit? I've never heard a better description!" he exclaimed, not put out in the slightest as he smiled merrily at the blue. "You're absolutely right Jask, and I'll move slower next time I see ya." He wiped off the wher spittle that had gotten on his face from the snort seemingly without a care. After a turn raising Jezebel and after a lifetime dealing with all sorts of animals, the spittle didn't do so much to faze him.

Not to be seen rude, Mykel turned to Hask next, moving slowly this time so not to startle her as he did Jask. He didn't crouch down again as he did before, but his voice was a friendly one. "Now you take good care of Hal', y'here? I've had to keep her outta trouble when we were kids, but that duty's yours now. Anyone bothers her, you bite 'em, alright? And don't worry about Jez', she's just being momlike. It's a rose wher thing." Introductions to the small floppy wherlets complete, Mykel raised an eyebrow at Halia again at her reaction, glancing at Jaray again this time with keen interest. So his sister had a bit of a crush, huh? While Mykel's expression didn't change, he glanced over Jaray a bit more critically than he would an ordinary stranger. This was his sister they were talking about, and if anyone was making advanced on her, they'd better darn well be good folks!

He couldn't gain much from that first look though, other than the fact that this man was (obviously) a wherling like Halia, though considerably older. A bit on the heavy side, so probably not a guardsman or anything like that, and sporting a beard that made Mykel totally not jealous, nope, definitely not. (Why didn't he have a beard yet c'mon now he'd been waiting long enough!). Anyways, he didn't seem like he was secretly an ax murderer or anything like that, so Mykel gave a mental check of 'sure why not', though his curiosity would not abate and Mykel mentally resolved to grill Halia about every detail later.

Not that he couldn't do a little of that now. "So, how'd you two know eachother?" Mykel glanced from one to another again, trying and probably fail to keep the impish delight out of his voice. Halia was his sister after all, and what kind of brother would he be if he didn't even tease her endlessly about her crush. "I'm guessing known eachother longer than the hatching if you're 'sitting for eachothers whers already." He tilted his head at Jaray's comment about his energy, adding. "Well, if you wanna know where I got it all from, blame her." he nodded towards Halia. "Was quiet as a fly till she'd gone and left me for the Runners."
Slasher

Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:26 pm

Halia listened to the fact that her….male-friend, had called her twin a flitt, or, more accurately, his wherlet had. Well, it was certainly proving true at this point, from how her twin was acting. Mykel even seemed happy about the analogy, which made Halia grin. And she recovered from her own slightly blushing introductions. It wouldn’t do to let her twin become too interested in her love life…Not that she wouldn’t be doing the exact same. It was, after all, her job to harass and rib at her twin. If she didn't, who else would?

Hask was…still staring suspiciously at the two unfamiliar bodies in the room. Granted, once Jask reassured her he was alright, she seemed to resolve to her own conclusion. So when Mykel addressed her directly, she stared at him as he spoke, her eyes whirling idly. Once he finished, she stared at him for several more long moments, before offering a single nod, Hask’s is Hask’s. Will always protect. And with that, she turned to head and attention back towards Jezebel. The little green walked towards the daywher, stopping before the rose. Hask stared at her with still whirling eyes.

Halia gently shook her head and glanced at her brother. And it was obvious by his expression(at least to her, they were twins, after all), that he had caught her blush, and she offered him a scowl as she answered, “We ran into each other one evening, when I was out running. Literally. I ran into him.” She left it there, considering she wasn’t about to add that it had escalated almost embarrassingly quickly into a extremely heated evening.

“And it was not my fault! You took off for canine’s the wher’s before I ever left for runners.” She smirked triumphantly, and then glanced towards Jaray, “Oh! Were the girls surprised to see you?” There was obvious hopeful glee in her tone. The girl had not hesitated to watch Jask, partially because she loved surprises, and it would be a huge surprise for Jaray's daughters. She spared a quick glance to check on Hask, What’re you doing? Hask didn’t look back at Halia, but she didn’t offer a private, Pink thing Hask’s sib, special. Hask watching.
Last edited by Slasher on Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Altreis

Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:19 am

Just about anyone else in the Weyr would be offended, Jaray thought dazedly as Mykel laughed, apparently liking Jask's description of him. Most other people would be offended to e called flits but not Mykel apparently. He thought it a great description!

Weird flit, Jask remarked, rumbling. He was starting to question both Mykel's intelligence and his sanity. Was he a dimglow or so incredibly clever that he was acting? Hmmm...definitely one to watch. For now though he was being friendly and even respecting Jask's wishes, saying he'd move more slowly around him. Good! Jask replied, relaxing more in his handler's arms. As long as the crazy flit-human didn't appear seemingly out of nowhere and smother him he was happy.

Wait...what was that look for? Jask wasn't looking directly at Mykel but the eye that was on him zeroed in on the look sent his handler's way. There was focus there, sharp interest. Suddenly Mykel was awfully fascinated by his handler. If the flit's antics hadn't already earned him a spot on Jask's watch list that look certainly did. Wherlet observed the young man as keenly as he did Jaray. Was he more than he appeared? A threat? Hm... From then on Jask was paying, if possible, more attention to Mykel than anyone else. He watched, listened, sniffed-everything. If there was more going on he would find out!

At the same time Jaray watched, curious. He wasn't sure what to make of the cheerful, energetic young man. The glances aimed his way, the questions asked of Halia...shards Mykel sounded like what Jaray imagined he'd be like once his girls started getting interested in boys. Was the role of brother that similar to being a father? Does that make me the tunnelsnake tryin' t' take his gurl away from him? Jaray wondered, frowning at that thought. Yuck...he hoped not.

Halia started answering her brother then and Jaray snorted. "Ran into me? Bounced off me more like, as I recall," he mused. "I wassen the one on the ground." He returned Halia's smirk after she mentioned her brother chasing after canines and whers. Then she asked about his girls. "Of course they were surprised," Jaray chuckled. "Very happy for me, but a bit sad they won't see as much of me for a while. That and they cain't wait to meet Jask."

Why wait? Jask meet now.

"You cain't," Jaray said flatly.

Why not?

"You're too young." That earned him a growl from his wherlet.
Meesh

Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:47 am

"Details, details!" Mykel sniffed at Halia. "You coulda followed me to the canines, they're small and furry and a scratch on the butt will earn you their eternal love. Tell me, can Runners sit on your lap and slobber in your face?" he repeated these phrases with the familiarity of osmeone who said them many times, obviously having had this old conversation many times with his sister. That being upset, he didn't seem put out by their different career choices in the slightest. "Anyways, I left for canines first, but it was your idea to transfer here and then to go and become a night handler while I was already turned daytime by Jez' here." he said triumphantly, conveniently leaving out the fact that Mykel had gone into day wher candidacy first. "If I didn't know better, I'd say ya didn't want me around anymore." he teased.

He shook his head at Jaray's tlak of Halia bouncing off of him, a mischevious sparkle in his eye. "That sounds like Hal one hundred percent." he agreed. "Gosh, you and I should sit down over a cup of klah sometimes, the stories I could tell you about my sister here." he raised an eyebrow mischeviously at Hal. "Like the time with the felines when we were what, six turns?" Mykel chuckled at the memory. "Hal's idea was to try and turn 'em blue with berries. Ended up turning the both of us and everything else but those poor creatures blue and sticky, and resulted in the maddest possible felines you could imagi-hang on." Mykel furrowed his eyebrows at Halia. "Is THAT why you chose to specialize in runners?"

He couldn't help but let his attention be drawn once again to the two wherlets, blue and green and floppy and adorable. "So how's the wherling life treating ya?" he nodded to Hask and Jask, before glancing up at their respective handlers. "Tired from all the feeding and oiling yet?" he nodded towards Jez affectinoatly. "That creature ate more'n twice I did when she was a third of my size, I swear"

Jezebel did not glance up at Mykel at the mention of her name, however, nose to nose with Hask. The rose day wher let out a slow puff of air, rumbling a friendly sound. She carefully nudged her nose towards Hask in an attempted nuzzle, trying to see if she could get away with 'grooming' the green once again. Maybe if she moved veeeery slowly.