Whittling the Night Away [tag Elarinya/Slasher]

Nothing like the Isil Tunnelhold the wherhandlers used to live in, these tunnels are just big enough for dark living spaces for the handlers and their whers, a small hatching sands, and a small lounge for the whers and any unbonded whers during the day. Wherlings move straight into the dens after bonding.
Parker
Site Admin
Title: High Ebilness
Pronouns: He/Him

Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:34 pm

Life certainly had a way of kicking a man between the legs. Carver felt like his life the last few turns was nothing but a dragon ride where the dragon only went up and down instead of gliding in a straight, steady flight. He and his wife began a new life, his wife had died in childbirth, their little girl would forever be affected by her rough birth, eventually he found love again with Vexill, they end up getting pregnant, she has a miscarriage...there were more examples he could think of, but that was enough for now. Despite all of that though...Carver would not break and he would not despair. He had his little girl still, he had the woman he loved still, and he would always have Carvesk.

What making, mine? The bronze asked as they relaxed in the common area of the wherhandler tunnels. Carver sat with his bad leg propped up on the sofa while Carvesk rested at his feet. He watched as the man carved delicately on a piece of wood.

"I am making a new doll set for Xana, Mayzi, and Madilynn. Figured it was about time they had one." Carver explained as he continued to carve. It was easier for him to speak out loud than think the thoughts to his bronze when such thoughts were needed for concentrating. "I've been promising them forever that I'd make them new ones. Finally got to a point where I can now." He explained as he carved out a fine little nose before working on the eyes. His job was one thing that never let him down. He loved working with wood...to see what he could make of it. Toys were beginning to become a specialty of his with everyone demanding this or that, though, he could craft just about anything with a piece of wood.

They will like. I sure. Carvesk spoke confidently as he nodded his head. The massive bronze laid his head down on his forepaws then and took a deep sigh of satisfaction.

"I certainly hope so. Either way...I'm enjoying carving them." Carver said, once against finding the silver lining in case the situation would turn gloomy. A flask laid near to him, the one he carried that was normally partially fellis as well as wine, he picked it up and took a gulp of it before putting it back down and working on his carving. The weather was changing, he could feel it in his bad leg which was now throbbing. He tried to ignore it, but it was impossible to ignore all of it which was why he was sipping liberally at his flask. He wasn't expecting company, not until later when Vexill got off of her shift at the infirmary.
Image Image Image Image Image
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Car'vis and Corentivis | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

.::..::..::..::..::..
PC Character Tracker | Marks Tracker | NPC Stash
Slasher

Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:17 pm

Too bad, the man might have company anyways. First, it was sounds. Muttering and whispering, and the light padding sound that signaled a wher was coming through the tunnels. Specifically, the tunnel that led outside. The sound grew, until finally a purplish head emerged, followed by a metallic body, the dim light glinting off the prismatic hide, reflecting with reds and oranges. The muttering stopped then, and the wher paused as the bulk of him finished wandering into the common area.

Sprawled on her back, on the wher’s back, her arms flopped to either side and legs spread to hang down across the Prisom’s shoulders, was a woman, her face towards the ceiling. Dark red hair was wild, skewed and draped along the spotted hide, “Why’d we stop? This feels neat! Home. Her arms raised, then flopped back down, “Oh, my arms feel heavy! Elarisk, I wish you could feel this! Oh wait…you can!” The woman laughed softly, then sat up fast. She gasped as both hands went to her head and she wobbled, “Ooh, head rush!” Mine fuzzy... "Aye, I feel fuzzy now..."

She chuckled throatily and then braced herself on the wher’s shoulders as she closed her eyes. Letting the blood that had pooled in the back of her head run back to a normal flow, she exhaled carefully before opening green eyes again. Rolling her shoulders, she glanced around the common area, before noticing the bronzehandler, “Oh! I thought most everyone was out on patrols right now…Hello!” the Prism grunted and wandered closer to the bronze, and the red-head slid down the wher’s shoulder, hopping to the ground.

Straightening, she eyed the man curiously before lighting her focus on his hands, “Are you making a doll?” She had on dark trousers, but from just above her knees up was a dark brown skirt. She had on a flowy sort of dark leather short sleeve shirt that just barely managed to not flash her stomach, and draped around her neck were at least three necklaces, all made out of smooth polished wood, or bone. Her hair was a bit wild, numerous beads and wraps threaded around in it, making it difficult to tell if it was dreaded, or merely styled that way.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
~:Stories:~ ~:Monies:~ ~:Plotter:~
Parker
Site Admin

Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:38 am

Carvesk heard someone coming before Carver ever did. The bronze raised his head to look over at the entrance and noticed a prism coming in with his handler on his back. Seeing that it wasn't his lovely gold Vexilsk, he lost interest and laid his head back down. The bronze wasn't unsocial, but if he had his way then he'd always spend time with the golden wher. Carver wasn't paying attention at all. It didn't help that he was riding a bit of a high from the fellis he was constantly sipping at. Carvesk was use to his handler doing this sort of thing though, so he didn't think any thing of it.

“Oh! I thought most everyone was out on patrols right now…Hello!”

That finally got Carver's attention. His head jerked up quickly as he looked over at the prismhandler. He'd seen her plenty of times, but didn't really know her personally. "Evening. Nope, I was unable to do patrols tonight. Carvesk and I have been enjoying a relaxing evening." While it didn't do his pride any good to have to back out of his duties, there were nights like this where he honestly couldn't be up on his leg. Luckily Carver had too much of a laid-back attitude to be that upset over the fact his injury made him act older than what he really was. "What about yourself? Got the evening off?" He asked.

“Are you making a doll?”

Carver gave a lop-sided grin at the question. Despite the fact he couldn't be the best wherhandler possible, he made up for in being so good in his craft. "Yes, I am. I'm making a new doll set for my little girls' doll house." He answered before turning his eyes back to his work. This was the second doll he was working on, he had another one done already and was all ready to be painted. "I'm Carver, by the way. This is Carvesk. I'm sorry for not standing like a gentleman, but legs not cooperating with me today."
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Car'vis and Corentivis | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

Slasher

Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:27 pm

Elarisk shifted his weight from foot to foot, eyeing the Bronze curiously for only a moment before shifting his focus back to his handler. It was obvious the Bronze wasn’t worried about being social, so the Prism wasn’t going to push the issue. As Elarinya asked about what the man was doing, and the man showed what he was holding to her, the wher snorted softly and idly started wandering the room, snuffling here and there.

The woman, however, offered a light, “Us? We had to wake up early and got sent out before the sun set completely.” The slight quirky sneer in her lip offered the obvious disdain for that scenario. “But I guess it means we have a little free time tonight.” A shrug, and she moved closer to peer at the wooden doll in the man’s hands. “Ooh! That’s very good.” For his little girl? So he was a father. And obviously a loving one. A brief wave of nostalgia, and then she shoved it away. She had more important things to worry about than the fact she had never known a father, and only known a useless mother. Like living life!

With a grin, she bowed dramatically, “I’m Elarinya. That’s Elarisk.” A soft rumbling hiss was the response to his name being spoken aloud, and then she shrugged, “But people call me Rinya if they want. I think it’s easier, since its shorter. And if you did stand, it would be a bit odd…I’m no Queenrider or anything, ya?” She grinned cheekily and stepped over to sit down across from him, eyeing the wooden shavings curiously.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Parker
Site Admin

Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:22 am

You may join Carvesk at fire if you wish. The bronze brute stated to the prism. He wasn't overly social, but he wasn't anti-social either. He even moved up and over to make more room in front of the fireplace for Elarisk to have a place to lay.

Carver gave a feigned look of irritation at the woman's day. "Ouch, yeah...that is very early. Extra time to relax is good though." He moved over on the couch and put his leg down. He reached over and handed her the one doll that he was done with to inspect if she wished. "Thank you. I enjoy my craft, even more so when I get to use it for people I love." He said, no qualms about expressing his true feelings even to a stranger. Moving his leg made it throb a bit with pain, so he took another long pull of his flask.

"And if you did stand, it would be a bit odd…I’m no Queenrider or anything, ya?”

A chuckle was given at that. "It's a pleasure to meet you Rinya and Elarisk. I'm afraid I was raised a gentleman, so all ladies get treated with respect." Carver explained. He continued to etch away at the piece in his hands." Faces were the trickiest, they had to be proportional and symmetrical which wasn't always easy to do. "I know I've seen you around, Rinya, never really had the change to greet you properly. Have you been in the South long?"
Image Image Image Image

Slasher

Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:14 pm

The Prism stopped in his random investigations and turned his head slowly to peer curiously towards the Bronze. Whether he was a bit slow, or just a bit unsure, it was hard to tell, but finally the wher snorted under his breath and wandered closer to the fire. Shifting a little on his paws, he settled his weight around a bit. Then with a ruffle of his stubby wings, flopped onto his belly all at once.

Elarinya blinked and glanced towards the wher with a grin before reaching and accepting the completed doll. She turned the carving this way and that, peering at it curiously. She had never had dolls growing up, but she could imagine the draw. With a cheeky grin, she leaned forward and ‘walked’ the doll around on her knee, and said in a high-pitched voice, “Hullo! My name is Dolly!” Another soft laugh and she peered at the toys face curiously as Carver asked about her.

With a shrug, she nodded, “Yes…We’ve been here since the very first group that came to investigate and start building the new Weyr. No reason to stay North, and it sounded like quite the grand adventure. You?” Even as she spoke, she continued eyeing the doll, running fingers over it, feeling it in her hand. She might have liked dolls, growing up. She wiggled it around on her knee again, like it was walking, but didn’t do a voice this time. Elarisk snorted softly and turned his head to peer at his handler before dipping it towards the Bronze, Thanks, fire warm.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Parker
Site Admin

Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:24 am

Carver watched as Rinya inspected the little doll. He couldn't help but laugh as she played with it. What else were toys for but to be played with? There was something liberating about playing with toys with his little girls. An adult that could play with toys was an adult that didn't care what people thought of them. He was certainly one of those adults and it appeared that Rinya was as well. "Hello Dolly, pleasure to meet you." Carver replied to the little wooden figure.

"Oh my...I can imagine it was quite the adventure from all that I've heard. It was quite brave of you both to come down here." Carver said with respect. He was a hold man, really didn't know much about the wilderness except what Vexill had been teaching him. They still had fear of felines now that they were established, he couldn't imagine how dangerous it had been before that. "We haven't been here all that long. A couple of turns. My wife and I moved down from the North in the hopes of a better future." There was a touch of sadness in his eyes as he spoke. However, he still had hope for the future. Illyana wouldn't have wanted him to give up just because she was no longer with him.

Carvesk nodded at the prism. Yes, is warm. Nice. Patrol good? The bronze asked. He would never complain about not getting to patrol with his handler the way others did, he loved Carver, but there was a part of him that didn't like missing out. He knew that Carver would let him go out on his own if he wanted, but he liked being with Carver.
Image Image Image Image

Slasher

Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:52 pm

When Carver responded to her imagined interaction with the little wooden doll, she looked closer at him. Here was a man not afraid to be himself. She could admire that. Leaning back a little in her seat, she continued fingering the doll, letting her thumb run lightly over its perfectly carved features. “I never had any dolls growing up. I’m sure your daughter enjoys them.” Her smile was genuine, and after a drawn out moment, she realized she was still holding the toy, and leaned forward to set it down on the table again.

With the statement of them being ‘brave’, she merely shrugged it off. Brave? Maybe. More of the fact that there was nothing holding them North, and coming South allowed her to start fresh, with no one really knowing or caring where she came from. Not to mention the utter unknown of it all had been more than a little fascinating. A grand adventure, that wasn’t even close to being over. Shifting a little on her seat, she eyed him curiously. That touch of sadness when speaking of his wife…She wondered, “Is she no longer with you then? You seem sad when you mention her…” A little nosey, possibly rude, but she was curious.

Patrol boring. Too bright. Too early. But run good. Elarisk shifted his weight around a little, until his front legs were curled in front of him, and he was almost perched on his haunches as opposed to lounging. It made his form be more upright, and a bit tighter in on itself. The movement was accompanied by a light rustle of his wings before lowering his snout to snuffle towards the floor a bit. Carvesk good?
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Parker
Site Admin

Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:05 pm

“I never had any dolls growing up. I’m sure your daughter enjoys them.”

Carver looked at the woman closely. He really wasn't all that good at reading people, but occasionally he would hit the proverbial nail on the head. "Yes she does. As much as a little girl her age can." The fact that Madilynn was slower to learn and might possibly never be as...educated...as other children didn't bother him. She was his little girl and he loved her completely. His kind eyes watched as she put the little doll down on the table between them. Callused hands reached out and picked it up, examining it for the moment.

“Is she no longer with you then? You seem sad when you mention her…”

While it was a personal question and perhaps a bit rude, Carver didn't mind. "She died in childbirth. Healers...couldn't save her." He explained, the sadness obvious in his eyes. He loved Vexill now, but there was a part of him that would always love Illyana. "She was never the healthiest of people, though the healers could never figure out what was wrong with her. I miss her, of course, but I have our little girl still and as sad as it is...life goes on." He'd almost been a father again, but fate had taken that from him as well. Carver was beginning to think he and children were bad luck.

Carvesk listened to the prism, his eyes a bit droopy as he was quite relaxed. Carvesk good. Carvesk's could no do patrols. We stay here while he cuts on wood. The large bronze explained, proving to be more social than at first. Does Elarisk's craft?
Image Image Image Image

Slasher

Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:03 pm

She listened curiously to his story, and while she was not blind to his pain, she also saw that he was strong, and obviously was doing what he could for his daughter. For someone who grew up without loving parents, she could admire that greatly. A thread of affection from Elarisk as the wher felt her thoughts, and she smiled a bit to herself and returned the affection before tilting her head a bit at the man, “It’s good you’re doing what you can for your daughter. I’m sure she appreciates it.”

It seemed like all this emotion and family love had rung out a bit of her enthusiasm. Not a bad thing, the girl just felt less hyper. “How old is your daughter?” She wondered briefly why she cared, other than she was touched by the man’s devotion to his child.

Meanwhile, the wher’s seemed to be almost dozing, even while they idley chatted. Elarisk opened one eye a sliver to peer curiously at Carvesk. His handler carved? Indeed, he picked up as much from Rinya’s mind, and the Prism shifted a little as he thought about the question. With a light shake that made his ears flop a little, he answered, Elarisk’s not craft. Elarisk’s fun though! Lots of play!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage