Realizing Your Failure [Plot/Standalone]

Nothing like the Isil Tunnelhold the wherhandlers used to live in, these tunnels are just big enough for dark living spaces for the handlers and their whers, a small hatching sands, and a small lounge for the whers and any unbonded whers during the day. Wherlings move straight into the dens after bonding.
Marvealle
Site Admin
Title: Foxy Prince
Pronouns: Any

Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:00 am

Shortly after Anthem of the Angels and The Monsters Lurking

It was too much. It was much too much. She couldn’t take it anymore. She had suffered through his bad decisions, and now others had as well. As far as she was concerned, this had been completely avoidable. Those handlers and whers didn’t have to die, and she and Serisk hadn’t needed to suffer and struggle with each other for nearly a turn before her wher had to take it into her own claws. None of this had to happen, and it was all Wherhandler Leader Darilex’s fault.

Those thoughts led Sterling to storm up and right into the Leader’s den, catching the man and his two whers by surprise. Which was a pretty foolish thing to do, alarming the two whers enough they were poised to defend their home before asking questions. Luckily their handler quickly got a handle on them, making the green and prism Darisk and Darilesk settle back down in their shared wallow together.

“What in Faranth’s name do you think you are doing,” the Leader demanded, leaving his work on his desk to intercept Sterling’s storm into his quarters. Darilex wasn’t often an angry man, but right now he was, his brow furrowed as he demanded an answer from Sterling.

“I’m here to yell at you,” Sterling said outright, jabbing a finger at him accusingly. “Some more wherhandlers just died Darilex. By those felines again, the same ones that killed those handlers and wher the night Serisk was severely wounded. These recent deaths? Those are your fault,” she snapped at him, getting right up in his space.

“Sterling, you just lost Serisk, you need to take some time and-”

“Like between I need to take some time! I’ve taken plenty of time! The past turn in fact! I lost Serisk a long time ago. I lost her that night you sent us out, you just prolonged our pain by keeping her alive. You should have let her either pull through with what the healers could do without amputating her leg, or let her die. Amputating her leg when there was already a fair chance she was blind was sharding stupid, and that’s on you. So don’t tell me I need to take some time. More whers and handlers have died because of you.”

Sterling didn’t care that Darilex’s whers grumbled as she jabbed her finger into Darilex’s chest. Darilex gave them a mental correction and assurance to keep them calm and still.

“You are making quite the leap there, Sterling. We don’t even know if they are the same felines this time as they were last time,” he tried to reason, but Sterling stomped her foot angrily.

“Shut up, that’s horseshit and you know it! There have been sightings since that night, and our whers are big, they aren’t easy to take down. It’s the same pride. The pride that you should have ordered a hunt for after what happened to Serisk, or at least done something about in the past turn. But no, you let them be, and now more people and whers died. You are just proving yourself to be a terrible leader Darilex!

“Stop Sterling, before I-”

“Before you what!? Serisk is dead, I’m not a wherhandler anymore, you can’t do shit to me!” That wasn’t entirely true, but it felt so good to yell at him. “And even if I was still a wherhandler for you to reprimand, it wouldn’t change the fact that your inaction has led to the deaths of people and whers that didn’t deserve it. Soon your own daughter will be among them!”

“Get out,” Darilex finally snapped, yelling and gesturing to the door. Darliesk and Darisk rose from their wallow again, growling at the intruder in their home. Sterling stomped her foot again.

“Fine! But you had better do something about these felines before they get bold enough to snatch a kid from the creche!”

Sterling stormed out, slamming the door behind her, leaving Darilex alone with his whers again. The green and prism padded over to him to check on him, sniffling and nuzzling him briefly to ensure he was ok.

“I’m fine,” he said as he came down off his anger at Sterling’s words. She had been out of line to storm into his quarters and yell at him like that. However, in the days to come, he’d realize she hadn’t been wrong either.
Atricis: Next Generation
~..:: Character & Thread Tracker | Marks Tracker ::..~
Nali ..::||::.. K'rin ..::||::.. M'ir ..::||::.. Raevin ..::||::.. Inakil ..::||::.. Elias ..::||::.. Sterling ..::||::.. Lolena'vas ..::||::.. Rey'vas
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image