Fateful Reunions -- {H'tai / Altreis}

Nothing like the Isil Tunnelhold the wherhandlers used to live in, these tunnels are just big enough for dark living spaces for the handlers and their whers, a small hatching sands, and a small lounge for the whers and any unbonded whers during the day. Wherlings move straight into the dens after bonding.
Fawkes
Junior Admin
Title: The Majestic Birb
Pronouns: She/Her, or Birb

Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:59 am

Continued from Fate Is Gonna Call

The goldrider had never really been to a wher Hatching before since Isil Tunnelhold had been removed from the Weyr while she was growing up, and shortly after the handlers had moved to the South with them, Safryn had Impressed to Soquilith so there hadn't been much time after that. Once upon a time, Shayn had contemplated what it would be like to bond to a wher instead of a dragon. The siblings had talked for many nights on the subject, and Safryn had promised him a trip to the tunnelhold so he could find out more if he wanted. Unfortunately, they never had the chance to take that trip though...

The young woman hadn't thought about that time in a while, those conversations with her brother and the promise she'd made...Now that she was here though, watching the andalusite hand out the eggs herself, she couldn't help but wonder if Shayn would have been found worthy or not. She found herself looking at the newest hatchlings with a longing, though it was more for the want of her brother back, for him to be here beside her and witness the Hatching as well. Thoughts of her family were never far from her mind though, what sort of joke her brother would have come up with that day, or what her father might say after a long day of work, and she liked to think her mother would be proud of her achievements. Thankfully, though she had a new family to help her each day, with three beautiful children that were getting bigger every day, and a man in her life that was devoted to her, and she to him.

"I can't speak for you but for me it definitely is," he answered softly, leaning in to give her cheek a kiss and returning the squeeze of his hand. "I only hope you are not kept up too late."

Safryn's gaze drifted back to the brownrider at her side, a soft smile finding it's way to her lips as he leaned in for the tender kiss. "Seeing that sparkle in your eye is more than worth a sleepless night." The redhead said softly, moving to lean against H'tai and laying her head against his shoulder as she looked back toward the Hatching and watched an older man getting tugged from out of the crowd and brought before an egg. The shell quickly gave way to the hatchling though, an adorable striped looking green that already looked like she would be a cute little handful. "Oh she's darling...and those ears. I could see why Shayn wanted one." She mused quietly, smiling at the little green as the older man took her aside.

A glance was given to the brownrider, but a short one as she settled back on the Sands once more. "It's a good thing one of these little cuties didn't snag you up before Ifrith could." The woman said as her arms wrapped around the brownrider, thankful for that first Flight which brought them together. "...How did your parents feel about that though?" It couldn't have been easy, deciding to go against family traditions. She and Shayn had talked long about how their parents were dragonriders and they should be too, but then again, their parents weren't really around then to give their thoughts on the matter. H'tai, however, still had family and his likely hadn't been too pleased by the choice, or perhaps they'd been supportive...she didn't really know.
This Intoxication Thrills Me,
I Only Pray It Doesn't Kill Me

Safryn ~* *~ Kitiara ~* *~ V'an ~* *~ Ay'li ~* *~ Elysia ~* *~ Kent ~* *~ Isolde ~* *~ Omri'vis ~* *~ Daela
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Weyrwoman || Wingsecond || Weyrling Asst. || Wingleader || Wingthird || Wingrider || Weyr Guard || Strikeleader || Candidate

If You Want Something You've Never Had,
You Must Be Willing To Do Something You've Never Done.

#332500/#C1A00C | #8AA259 | #A8482A | #B69064 | #667A8C | #155710 | #969696 | #181D68
~ Character Tracker ~ | * Marks Tracker *
Altreis

Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:59 am

Somehow it figured Safryn would be perfectly happy to lose a night of sleep for him, just as he would for her. H'tai smiled softly at her, his smile only growing softer and warmer when his love leaned against him. He found he couldn't focus much on the Hatching, not right then. He wanted to, wanted to make the lost sleep count, but this...this was too much. Safryn gave him so very much. She might not ever want to take a mate again though, after what had happened... He needed to find something a little different for them.

Safryn's voice called his attention, the words directing it to the sands where an older man was working to wrangle a playful bundle of green wherlet. Wherlets were definitely adorable with their floppy, oversized ears. However the adults could be just as endearing. H'tai knew that better than most with all the time he'd spent in the company of whers. Had Ifrith not Impressed to him he likely would be a handler, maybe even a dual handler by now. But as much as he loved whers and was still scared every time he and Ifrith were called to fight a Fall...he wouldn't trade being a rider for any number of whers. He belonged with Ifrith in the sky, in the sun, not here in the tunnels and dark. Besides, if Ifrith hadn't Impressed to him-

-he wouldn't be here, with Safryn, who seemed to read his mind. He felt her arms wrapping around him and happily pulled her into a warm embrace. He felt so incredibly lucky that he had Safryn. Had it not been for the dragons he could easily still be alone, stammering around everyone and living as a shadow. There was no one he'd rather be with, except Ifrith of course. That wonderful matchmaker brown of his.

However the mood was shattered with one simple question from Safryn, one H'tai really didn't want to think about let alone answer. His parents...

H'tai was quiet for a long time, watching the Hatching progress and yet seeing nothing. He didn't want to talk about his family but he owed Safryn an answer. An honest answer.

"They...he...wasn't thrilled." The words were almost whispered, forced out between reluctant lips. "I didn't make this decision until we moved to New Atricis following the flooding of our home, Isil Tunnelhold. My mother...my sister...their whers...none of them made it. It was just me, my dad, and his blue. You can imagine how he felt about losing the last of his family to dragons." H'tai closed his eyes then, trying to loosen the tightness in his chest. Even saying that much was so hard...but for Safryn it was worth it. He would do it, tell her what she wished to know.
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Fawkes
Junior Admin

Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:19 pm

The goldrider waited for an answer that didn't come right away, and while she was drawn to the Hatching, her blue gaze drifted to the quiet H'tai after a while. Had she said something wrong? She'd only meant to keep things lively, in the spirit of such an event, but when she saw how dark and distant those eyes of his were, Safryn knew that something was wrong. Her hold on the brownrider gave a gentle assuring squeeze, but she did not press the young man any further until he said something. If anyone knew how hard it was to talk about family, it was Safryn. So the redheaded woman remained quietly steadfast beside H'tai, lending him a silent strength until he was ready to say more.

"They...he...wasn't thrilled." She heard the barely whispered words, and the Hatching was left behind as blue eyes moved quickly back to focus on the brownrider and what it was he was ready to talk about. As he went on, her heart dropped into the pit of her stomach when he mentioned the flooding, and then the worst was confirmed, that her sweet H'tai had lost two of those very dear to him. Safryn did her best not to let the tears begin to well at the corners of her eyes, but she could feel a knot tightening in her stomach at the remembered loss of the Tunnelhold, of the Weyr, of her own family. At least he still has his father she told herself, but the young man continued on softly and it sounded as if he'd lost him in other ways instead.

As soon as he closed his eyes against the pains of memory, Safryn's hold on him tightened, her head moving once again to rest against his shoulder to keep her voice at a whisper, a moment spared in time just for them. "H'tai...I'm so sorry..." The goldrider said as she pressed her lips against his shoulder, her hand in his giving a tender squeeze. "I knew the flooding had been awful...but I didn't know, I didn't even think....your mother and sister...I'm so sorry." The woman added with a soft sniffle, though she wouldn't allow the full ebb of emotions to get the best of her here in public, in the midst of a Hatching. "I know, what it's like...to lose family." Safryn admitted in a whisper, though there was a slight tremor in her voice before she took a deep breath to calm herself. Not here, not now.

A quick glance to the Sands showed her that they missed the last two eggs hatching, in fact the spotted blue had just broken shell and many were cheering, but it was easy enough to leave before the crowds if they left now. "Let's go home love. We don't have to talk here, it's okay." The redhead said, finally pulling herself away and freeing a hand to wipe away what tears were threatening to form, though the other remained firm in his grasp.

Safryn ~* *~ Kitiara ~* *~ V'an ~* *~ Ay'li ~* *~ Elysia ~* *~ Kent ~* *~ Isolde ~* *~ Omri'vis ~* *~ Daela
Weyrwoman || Wingsecond || Weyrling Asst. || Wingleader || Wingthird || Wingrider || Weyr Guard || Strikeleader || Candidate

#332500/#C1A00C | #8AA259 | #A8482A | #B69064 | #667A8C | #155710 | #969696 | #181D68
Altreis

Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:37 pm

For Safryn, he was strong. For Safryn, H'tai steeled himself and opened up old wounds to answer her questions. It was very hard but he wouldn't let himself wherry out. As much as he loved her, and as much as he knew she loved him, she deserved to know everything. H'tai had absolutely nothing to hide from her...except perhaps a surprise that a part of him was beginning to plan for her. He could only hope Safryn would like it. There was absolutely no obligation to her so maybe?

Warmth pulled him from his thoughts as his love held him, settled against him and murmured words of empathy. There was a pang in his heart that he was telling her something so painful...but she had asked! How could he keep the memory to himself when she asked directly after it?

An arm snaked around her waist, pulling her in for a gentle embrace. "None of it is your fault," he murmured softly, placing a soft kiss to her forehead. "But I am very sorry you have had similar experiences. You should never have to know such sorrow." He squeezed her a little tighter then, seeking to offer what comfort he could. The memory was a painful one but it was his own. He didn't want to drag her into a painful memory of her own, ruin the good mood of the Hatching. Silently he vowed to say no more of it, glancing at the sands to try and find something lighter to comment on.

Once again though Safryn seemed to read his thoughts, though her solution was a bit different. He couldn't disagree with her either, not when the last of the eggs had been handed out and hatched. The hatching was over and it would not be fair to burden the others there with their problems.

He gave her a silent nod and let Safryn lead him into the tunnels once more. Soon they would be home and maybe they could catch a little sleep before the morning. If only fate did not conspire against them...

~~~~

How long had it been, by now? Turns for sure but how many? He'd lost count. And yet after what felt like countless turns the one he yearned to see had appeared, of all places, at a wher Hatching. At first the man thought he was losing his mind. There was no way he of all people would attend a wher Hatching! What reasons would he have for being at a wher Hatching?

It was improbable, it was impossible...and yet the man could not keep himself from investigating. What if it really was the one he sought? What if this was his chance to make amends, to reconnect? He couldn't risk ignoring the possibility and regretting missing such an opportunity later.

But first came the Hatching. Whers were not to be trifled with, especially while handing out their precious babies. He knew that very well and remained where he was, watching as egg after egg was handed out, one eye always on the man he wanted to intercept afterward.

The Hatching felt like it lasted forever! It was a huge relief when the last egg hatched and bonded. Now he could go and get ready to-no! The one he wanted was already leaving! Nonono, why hadn't the man lingered just a little? There was little choice now: if he wanted to speak with him, then he had to chase after him. He felt his wher grumble at him having to chase anyone, but this was too important to let pride get in the way. He'd already done that once before and it had given him nothing but misery. The time for pride was long past.

Thus it was that the man trotted after the retreating pair, reaching for the brownrider's shoulder. "H'tai, stop. Please. We need to talk."

The effect was immediate, H'tai going stiff as a board with tension. That grip, that voice. No, why was his past haunting him now?! Had he caused this by speaking of it to Safryn? No, no, oh shells no. And in front of Safryn no less!

He gulped and shook his head slightly. "I-I think it would be b-b-etter if we got some s-s-s-leep tonight," he stammered, more a nervous wreck than he'd been in months. His courage had gotten much better with Safryn's love and support but this...this was too much.

"Then I won't keep you long," came the quiet answer. "Relax H'tai, I'm not about to bite you. I only want to talk, please. This is important to me."

H'tai looked at Safryn, giving her a weak smile that was more of a pained grimace. "Ah, S-S-S-Safryn meet H-Hayato, bluehandler and u-u-um...my father." Because explaining who the mysterious newcomer was was easier than actually speaking to him directly, a fact that had Hayato sighing. Yeah...that was his son alright. Still as shy and awkward as ever.
Fawkes
Junior Admin

Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:43 am

Her sweet, loving H'tai, apologizing to her even when he was hurting most and the goldrider couldn't help but hold him closer as his hold tightened on her as well. She wanted to shush him, to tell him there was no need for him to be sorry, that there was nothing to apologize for, but he already knew that and she knew he was saying it still because he cared that deeply. He seemed to be of like mind though when she offered to take him home instead of lingering at the Hatching, and his silent nod was all she needed to start leading the way back through the tunnels to get them outside again. Fresh air would do them well, the nights' crisp air, maybe look up at the stars for a while and take their minds off matters before trying to sleep again.

"H'tai, stop. Please. We need to talk."

If the brownrider hadn't frozen in his step, Safryn would have at the sound of the voice calling out his name. Blue eyes flickered toward the man at her side, and then cast over her shoulder to the older one standing just behind them.

"I-I think it would be b-b-etter if we got some s-s-s-leep tonight," At the sound of his stutter returning, Safryn made sure he could feel her hand in his with a tender squeeze. She knew it could not be a good sign if he was retreating back to nervousness, so the woman made sure to remind him that she was right here beside him, and wasn't going anywhere until she knew that he was okay again.

"Then I won't keep you long," came the quiet answer. "Relax H'tai, I'm not about to bite you. I only want to talk, please. This is important to me."

She did not particularly enjoy seeing H'tai brought back to his quivering self, all of his self confidence dissipating so abruptly when he'd come so far out of his shell. Who was this man? Safryn was about to step in between them, to ask him that very same thing, but she saw the pained look from the brownrider and quieted her tongue instead.

"Ah, S-S-S-Safryn meet H-Hayato, bluehandler and u-u-um...my father."

Realization dawned quickly, having just spoken about the man, and knowing what sort of reaction just speaking about him had brought to the young man. Suddenly seeing him, hearing him, here, now, it was uncanny...and unnerving, even to her as if fate tickled at their woven threads. Yet, this was H'tai's father, someone who was still alive and well, who was asking for a bit of spare time from a son he hadn't seen in Turns. There was a part of Safryn that couldn't deny that plea, the same part of her that wished every day one of her parents would come back out of the shadows of memory.

"Your father..." She said softly, a longing word on her tongue, as blue orbs glanced at H'tai, her hand keeping a tender grip on his own and she rubbed her thumb over the back of his hand. "It's a pleasure to meet you Hayato." The goldrider said turning back to face the bluehandler, always remembering her manners and diplomacy. "Your son is a wonderful man." She added with a pleasant smile and another fluttering glance to H'tai, stepping in a little closer to the brownrider and twining her arm through his and clasping his hand once again. Such gentile words with a rather poignant display that if he wished to speak with H'tai, she didn't plan to go anywhere unless the brownrider asked her to.

Altreis

Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:58 pm

It took a moment but eventually H'tai's words sank in fully. So focused on the stutter Hayato had been that he'd missed the introduction but now his mind picked up on it. Shock was written clearly on his face at that revelation. Safryn? The goldrider? The Weyrwoman Second? That Safryn? What on Pern was H'tai doing with her?! The obvious answer was that they had been watching the wher Hatching but that made little sense. Safryn had far more important things to be doing than watching wher eggs get handed out-like sleep. H'tai was right about that one. Neither dragonrider needed to be short on sleep but someone in Safryn's high position needed it that much less. There was no reason he could think of that she would be at a wher Hatching, especially with the stammering wreck of a young man beside her.

Yet Safryn made it very clear they were together, holding H'tai's hand and even hooking and arm through his. There was a chance that she was comforting a friend but Hayato doubted that was the case, which only puzzled him more. How could his extremely shy, nervous son have managed to woo Safryn? Sure there were admirable, even endearing qualities to him but to enjoy those one had to get past the flinching, rambling, and stuttering.

But the silence was beginning to stretch too long and if there was one thing he would not tolerate, especially from himself, it was rudeness. Hayato inclined his head to the goldrider, silently acknowledging her while his mind found and arranged the words he wanted. "The pleasure in mine in having the honor to meet one of Atricis' esteemed weyrwomen. As for my son I've little doubt as to the truth in your words...though admittedly I have been rather blind in the past."

Dark eyes shifted to regard H'tai at the end. This was going to be a delicate matter anyway but now it was clear he would have to have this...heart-to-heart as it were...in front of the Weyrwoman Second as well. Still it might work to his advantage; the gentle yet solid support could calm H'tai enough to actually speak with him. The apprehension, or outright fear and anxiety being displayed by his son was well earned, a fact that shamed Hayato in this moment. No one is perfect...not even me, he thought. Perhaps especially not him, what with the rift he had allowed to persist for several turns between himself and what remained of his family. And over what? Something that neither one of them truly had any control over. Together they had decided H'tai would Stand but as many candidates that had aged out could attest to that was hardly any sort of guarantee a dragon would choose him. Some of those candidates Stood as soon as they were old enough in fact; what were the odds of a dragon wanting H'tai in the brief time he'd had left before aging out? That brown had hatched though, stolen H'tai away from his father. Or did I push him away? Hayato asked himself bitterly. For while he had agreed to H'tai's request he had not thought it likely that his son would become a rider and he had reacted very badly when that unexpected reality came to be.

Safryn's grip was returned tightly, H'tai needing the support in that moment. His distress was such that Ifrith roused, quiet but watchful. His mental touch was light and easily missed in the swirl of feelings that had H'tai all but crawling out of his skin. Ifrith didn't like that, waking himself more fully and watching through the bond he shared with H'tai. If his rider needed him he would be there.

A heavy sigh greeted H'tai's continued if silent fidgeting. "H'tai, son, you know me well enough to know I wouldn't lie about such a thing. You can relax. I'm not here to start trouble. I...I miss you, H'tai. I miss you and I deeply regret my actions six turns ago." He fell silent, having nearly choked on the words that had needed to be spoken. It was supremely difficult for him to admit he had been wrong, moreso in front of a third party, but he refused to allow the alternative. H'tai needed to know and if there was any chance of a reconciliation between them Hayato had every intention of seizing it.

Very clear, obvious shock met his words. There was nothing in the past to hint at this scene ever being a possibility. Yet here he was, regretting the rift that had been allowed to fester between them, reaching out to his son, humbling himself in front of the Weyrwoman Second. That had to count for something!

If only H'tai could get past the naked shock. He knew of course that his father was being truthful but he spoke a truth that H'tai couldn't have ever dreamed up. He could only stare at his father mutely, mind churning slowly as it tried to process what had been said. Okay maybe the first part wasn't so impossible but the second? H'tai could believe that after so many turns his father missed him, he might even believe that deep down his father regretted what had happened, but to admit it? In front of Safryn no less?

This might take a while, Hayato observed silently. And knowing his son, finding a way to get H'tai out of the hotseat would be best. He'd answer eventually but while he was busy mental flailing or whatever...better to move on and leave him to it.

Thus Hayato turned to the beautiful lady at his son's side, offering her a small smile. "My apologies for keeping you both when you are already shorting yourselves on sleep. I meant what I said though, truly I could not live with myself if I let this chance to make things right slip away. If I might ask though, to give H'tai a breather, who are you to him? How did you two meet?" His tone was nothing but polite curiosity, a father wanting to know about his son's life-especially as he had done such a good job of removing himself from it for a significant chunk of time. Was it possible that somehow Safryn was a friend or even a lover? Hayato found it very hard to picture H'tai making a friend, much less falling in love. The boy he knew had been so painfully shy he could barely talk to someone...so how did he end up in a goldrider's company?
Fawkes
Junior Admin

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:35 pm

"The pleasure in mine in having the honor to meet one of Atricis' esteemed weyrwomen. As for my son I've little doubt as to the truth in your words...though admittedly I have been rather blind in the past."

At the recognition of her rank, the redheaded woman gave a humble nod of her head. While Safryn held the rank at any time of the day or night, she was not here in this hallway under the pretense of being Weyrwoman Second. When the man continued and brought up the brownrider beside her, the concerned glance she gave to H'tai was all the clarification needed to speak to the personal reasons she was here. The young man was still quiet, though he seemed to fidget nervously, and Safryn made sure to silently remind him that she was here for him.

Sapphire gaze flickered back to the wherhandler, H'tais' father, a fact that the goldrider was also coming to terms with while Hayato was wondering about her as well. What Safryn wouldn't give to see her father again, for F'lyn to suddenly walk back into her life and tell her how sorry he was for leaving her all those turns ago. However much she dreamed it, the woman knew it could never come to be, for F'lyn and his blue Jedinath had gone beyond between and were forever lost to her. Yet here stood H'tai's father, a man he spoke very little of, a man who'd been alive all this time yet estranged because of personal feelings and now he was apologizing for those turns apart, admitting he was wrong and that he missed his son.

Safryn felt those heart strings tug in two opposite directions at once as she looked between the two men. On one hand, she was upset with how long the two of them had gone without speaking to each other over something like Impressing to the wrong dragonkin. It seemed foolish in her mind to give up something so precious of a family bond when that was all you had left, just because H'tai had chosen his own path. What hurt even more was that they knew what it felt it like to lose someone so close and yet they still chose to remain apart all this time. On the other hand, Hayato was here, now, expressing that regret and humbly asking his son for forgiveness, and Safryn couldn't help but live vicariously through them for the moment. Her heart grew lighter inside her chest, she wanted to believe that it was her own family reuniting, and in a way it was. H'tai was part of her family now, and Hayato would be too if the brownrider wanted him back in his life.

Beside her, the young man was shocked into silence, though his hand tightened around her own and Safryn leaned a little more against the brownrider, hoping to comfort him quietly while he processed all this. She couldn't even imagine what could be going through his head, when her own thoughts were already a jumble and mix of emotions, so the redheaded woman would not press H'tai any further than he already was. Safryn was there as a support, a comfort while he was the one dealing with being at the center of all this.

"My apologies for keeping you both when you are already shorting yourselves on sleep. I meant what I said though, truly I could not live with myself if I let this chance to make things right slip away. If I might ask though, to give H'tai a breather, who are you to him? How did you two meet?"

The goldrider gave the older man a soft smile, blue eyes flickering from him to the brownrider and back again. It was understandable that he was a bit confused, for she remembered what sort of shy and nervous boy H'tai had been those turns ago, and she could be proud of the man he'd become since coming out of his shell. Although, at the moment, he was acting like had when she'd first met him, but even then she still found him endearingly handsome and she felt lucky to be here with him now.

"You shouldn't have to apologize for trying to make things right, and I'm glad you are." Safryn said softly, giving the brownrider the slightest nudge as she turned to look back at his father. "You just, caught us by surprise." The goldrider added quite diplomatically with another smile for the wherhandler. "To answer your question...I care very much for your son, my love, and it was our dragons that brought us together. Without Ifrith, H'tai couldn't become who he was meant to be, to find love and even have his own family someday." The redheaded woman said, adding a soft squeeze to the brownriders hand and hoped to pull him out of his reverie. She also knew, that his bonding to a dragon was not something to hide away, but to accept and even be proud of, for Ifrith was a fine and gorgeous lifemate to be proud of. And anytime she was able to mention the brown around him, H'tai seemed to feed off of the love for his dragon to bring him out of his thoughts, so she hoped the young man would step up and accept the man's apology and forgive his father.

Altreis

Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:54 pm

As it turned out the breather proved to be exactly what H'tai needed. He got the chance to think without having everyone's attention centered on him and he got to see his father and Safryn interact. The two were polite, two strangers meeting who had a connection with him in common. Neither one seemed tense-in fact the only fidgety one in the group was H'tai. He couldn't help worrying when he heard his father ask about Safryn though. The second he knew Safryn and H'tai were together...well, H'tai fully expected to hear his father say something about how Safryn could do better. That she was wasting her time with his bumbling son. Worse yet, as he heard Safryn answer the how, H'tai worried that his father would scoff and say something about how it had been his dragon that had snagged him a mate, not his own merit. Sneer that H'tai had wanted a dragon specifically in the hopes their Flights might make up for his shortcomings...or even that H'tai had hoped the dragon itself could cure him of his weaknesses. Except that was exactly what Safryn was saying now, how H'tai could not become who he was meant to be without Ifrith. H'tai wanted to disappear so badly, melt into the floor of the tunnel or the shadows...something!

So I was right, Hayato mused. Perhaps introduced through a Flight but...H'tai actually is involved with a goldrider! The thought was still nothing short of shocking. Even with a Flight as the initial meeting...how had H'tai not run away from her afterward? In fact Hayato was surprised H'tai showed up at all for the Flight. And how had he managed to capture Safryn's heart instead of exasperating her? However the person he most wanted to hear the story from was H'tai, who had yet to speak. Maybe a little longer then.

"So it seems," Hayato commented idly. "Without Ifrith he could very well still be alone. It's lucky indeed then that he did Im-"

"Luck had nothing to do with it!" The protest was out of his mouth before H'tai could think, let alone stop it. Immediately afterward he paled then flushed. He just interrupted his father of all people...oh shells...but he was not about to take it back. It was the truth. And now he had his father's undivided attention. He couldn't stop though, not now. "It was not l-luck," H'tai repeated, wavering a little though keeping himself more together than he had earlier. "Ifrith and I were meant for one another. J-just like Safryn. Maybe it was luck that Ifrith won that Flight but the rest...no. Safryn loves me, not Ifrith, and certainly not only as some fun under the furs." He could see surprise growing in his father's expression at how bold he was being now. Even with the occasional waver this was a far cry away from the stammering son he knew. H'tai continued, taking some strength from the support Safryn gave him but trying to stand on his own two feet as much as possible for a change. "If you really do miss me, want to be a part of my life, you have to accept Safryn and Ifrith too. They aren't going anywhere."

Silence greeted the end of H'tai's little speech. Silence...and an intense gaze that the brownrider grew increasingly uncomfortable under. Hayato did not give him relief this time however, looking long and hard at him while absorbing everything. This was definitely not the H'tai he'd known six turns ago. It seemed that between the dragon and the goldrider he really had begun to finally grow as a person...and Hayato had missed it. Through his own doing he had missed it all. This was his chance to correct that mistake as much as possible though and he was not about to throw it away. "I see. A glimpse at least. That glimpse has me wanting to see more-but not tonight. If you can spare a morning or evening though I would like to talk to you more H'tai. Bring Safryn if you two prefer; I have nothing to say that needs to be hidden from her."

H'tai was absolutely dumbfounded. He'd fully expected his father to be furious with him, give him a disappointed look and stern words...but this?! Not only was Hayato brushing off the outburst but he wanted more? Wanted to set something up? Well then...

Slowly H'tai turned his head to shoot a questioning look at Safryn. "Well uh...my schedule's a bit more flexible..." he mumbled. "So um...whenever's good for you love? If you w-want to come of course."

((PS: If you want to close this old thread with you post, go ahead. The bulk of it's done and H'tai will need to go home and decompress after this.))