Welcome to the Wherlinghood [Tag- Ember/Yara]

Nothing like the Isil Tunnelhold the wherhandlers used to live in, these tunnels are just big enough for dark living spaces for the handlers and their whers, a small hatching sands, and a small lounge for the whers and any unbonded whers during the day. Wherlings move straight into the dens after bonding.
Marvealle
Site Admin
Title: Foxy Prince
Pronouns: Any

Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:56 am

It had been around a turn since Vithire had become an official Assistant Wherlingmaster, and she had liked the work so far. For turns she hadn’t gained any leadership positions, though that wasn’t for lack of Krizia offering them, it was Vithire had never felt herself to be a good person for leadership. Krizia had been grooming her to take over as Wherleader and perhaps even Wher Matriarch one day, but Vithire had ruined those plans by refusing positions. Perhaps she would take a Lieutenant position if she had the right Captain, but so far she didn’t feel she had that kind of work-chemistry with someone. Assistant Wherlingmaster, though, gave her a feeling of being more useful than just as a handler of a guard wher.

The news of the unexpected bonding of a kitchen worker to a mysterious egg that hatched an even more mysterious wher only surprised Vithire a bit. The unexpected bonding and mysterious egg didn’t surprise her. Vithiresk had come from an egg laid by an unknown female, and she had witnessed unexpected bondings occur for turns. Her old friend Rhea had been one of them when they were both just kids. What surprised her was the wher, a color never seen before, pale and glistening in a color she could never say she had seen before in a wher.

Then she had been requested to take this special case herself by Wherlingmaster Irena. She accepted it, figuring one new Wherling wouldn’t be too hard, and she had taken on lessons of larger groups of wherlings before. She was informed Yara was still new, not trained previously as a wher candidate or handler, and had yet to receive a lot of the basic handler training. So Vithire would be starting from the bottom up.

A message had been sent to Yara to meet with Vithire and Agate Vithiresk in the common room of the Wherhandler Tunnels in the Weyr. It had been sent with ample time for Yara to prepare and be there on time, or so Vithrie felt when she arrived at the common room and found herself a seat to rest in while she waited for her new charge to arrive.

*Excite to meet new wherlet. Didn’t get to see her hatch. Her right? What does she look like again?* Vithiresk rambled on in Vithire’s head, always the talkative male. She gave him a soft smile and patted his hide while they waited.

*You will see soon enough. Be patient.*
Atricis: Next Generation
~..:: Character Tracker & Plotter | Marks Tracker ::..~
ImageImageImageImageImage Image Image ImageImageImage ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:43 am

It was still strange to Vex, that she was now a bonded handler, and one that was set with a wher in a color that had never been seen before. The two of them had decided to call Yarask's particular hue "crystalline", which the wher seemed to like very much, and because she was pleased, Vex was pleased as well. Though just because she was happy, didn't mean there weren't realities that needed to taken into consideration, such as training, and the future she now had to face.

She grimaced at the thought of training, and being up at night. She still wasn't used to this reverse in schedules, to staying up at night and being asleep during the day. Take the day before, for example - she'd only slept in a fitful manner during the day, barely managing to grab a handful of hours of rest before finally tossing back the covers and making her way to the kitchens out of habit. When they'd turned her away out of reminder of her new station in life, she'd crankily headed back to the barracks where Yarask had been waiting for food.

After feeding her, the wher had fallen back to sleep, and Vex had found herself wondering how it could be so easy, even for a baby, and she'd been genuinely jealous of her own bonded. The rest of the day had been spent practically twidling her thumbs in between lessons and learning about whers, so she supposed despite being in a "snit", she was glad for training with her "official" trainer to begin.

Is excited. Eager to meet trainers. The little crystalline wher said, keeping close to her handler as they made their way to the common room, Vex trying to depend on the presence of her wher to get through the dimly lit tunnels. She couldn't wait until she was used to the dark areas more, but for now, she was going to have to admit that she was a bit blind when it came to traversing through the shadows and places that lacked in light.

Finally, she broke through, and though Yarask shied away at first, she soon warmed to the place and crooned when she spotted the trainer in question. Vex, for her part, wasn't so considerate, though she kept her tone as civil as possible as they approached and greeted the pair waiting for them. "Not sure what title I should give you, ma'am, but I'm Yaranavexa, Yara or Vex will do. This is Yarask, we've chosen to call her color crystalline." It wasn't the most masterful of greetings, but then again, she wasn't the most masterful of individuals when it came to social settings.

Please visit the above link for a list of my current
characters, links to their profiles, to see what
they look like, and find other little facts about them!

[ Marks Tracker | Graphics Shop | NPC Archive ]

“You fail only if you stop writing.”
— Ray Bradbury —
Marvealle
Site Admin

Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:02 am

*Some here. Might be them.* That was Vithire's warning to the arrival of her new charges, Vithiresk having heard them coming shortly before they entered the common room. This gave Vithire a chance to stand from where she'd been sitting in order to properly greet the new pair. It was clear the woman had recognized Vithire as the one she was meeting as she came right over and introduced herself. Vithire nodded.

"A Cystalline, understood. As for title, you may call me Vithire or Wherlingmaster, whichever makes you more comfortable. This is Vithiresk, and Agate." She didn't know how much about whers the woman knew, just that the woman hadn't been a candidate, and had in fact been a kitchen worker who had been chosen by the mysterious little hatchling unexpectedly.

"We will be handling your training from here on out for your Wherlinghood. I understand you weren't a wher candidate before bonding. I think a good place for us to start is to get a grasp of your wher and handler knowledge so I know best how to handle your early training together."
ImageImage
Ember

Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:44 am

There was a laugh, and a shake of her head, before she glanced down at the wher that was pressed against her legs. She was small, the wher was likely to get much larger than herself. She was still having a hard time grasping the picture that brought to mind. "To be quite frank on the matter, Wherlingmaster, I don't know shit about being a wherling or what it means to have a wher, or--" Before she could finish, one of Yarask's paws came up to tap on her knee, and she sighed. "Yes?"

Bad language.

How a creature, so newly born still, could recognize one little word, she didn't know, but she swallowed any other words before they could come out, reached down to scratch behind one of the floppy little ears that she had discovered Yarask liked to be scratched behind, and forced as polite of a smile as she could before trying again. "Or whers in general. I've been a member of Weyr society all my life, and its always been about fuc-- dragons and fighting Thread for me, Becoming a handler never once crossed my mind, and I never even considered looking into it, not even when I came South."

She looked down again at the wher who seemed rather content that a correction had been made, and crooned as she nestled where she was. "I know how to clean Yarask, and look for signs of tears and ill hide, because that's what was taught to me. I know how to prepare her food, and feed her, because again, that's what was taught to me, but otherwise? I don't know anything." And she frowned at that, dropping some of the guard she normally kept around herself, and it became obvious that she cared for the creature she was bonded to. "I don't want to do wrong by her, and I feel at a loss. I feel like I will let her down because I don't know anything else at the moment."

— Ray Bradbury —
Marvealle
Site Admin

Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:16 am

Yaranavexa’s initial response took Vithire by surprise a little, even with the warning of frankness. After that though, when her wherlet got her attention, she seemed to school her choice of words better after that. How amusing, she couldn’t help but think to herself, glancing down at the pale wherlet briefly.

When she finished explaining what she did know, Vithire was able to nod in understanding. She understood now why she had been tasked with Yaranvexa’s training. She would need someone who could give a much more focused training. When she expressed her concern of letting Yarask down though, Vithire was able to shake her head.

”If you feel concern that you might let her down, then it is doubtful you will. You care about her well-being already. And you know the basics of her care, that’s all she needs right now. I will train and teach you everything you need as she grows, so that you can meet her needs as they develop, and be ready to become one of the Wherhandlers when the time comes.” With that, Vithire looked back down to Yarask, reaching a hand out to let the little one give her fingers a sniff before attempting to give her a head pat.

”So how about we start with wher basics? I can also show you where copies of wher information from the archives are kept for study as well.
ImageImage
Ember

Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:48 am

Why did it have to be so damn soothing to hear those words? Yara was trying to figure it out more than she was actually listening, and if it weren't for Yarask, she might have missed most of what was being said. She wasn't trying to be ignorant of Vithire's intentions, she was just... well, she didn't want to admit it to anyone, let alone herself, but she was confused by all of this. Bonding to as she had was something she'd never anticipated in her life, was certainly not something she'd asked for.

Regret me?

Never! Absolutely never.

Good. Pay attention.

Yes mother.

She nodded in response then, and actually offered a smile, which was rare for a grouch like her. "I would like that. I'm eager to learn to properly work with her, and... I can't believe I'm saying this, I'd like to learn how to be a proper guard member in a team someday as well. I don't exactly work well with people which is why being a cook in the kitchens had been ideal for me." She didn't care how that sounded, not really at least and mentally shrugged over it. "But I do take instructions well, so I should make a decent enough student. I just can be... stubborn, so I'm warning you of that now."

— Ray Bradbury —
Marvealle
Site Admin

Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:25 pm

Vithire could understand Yaranavexa on not necessarily working well with other people. Even if it was likely for different reasons, she could still understand it. When she warned her of her stubbornness Vithire couldn't help her light smile.

"Well, I appreciate the warning there then. You remind me a little bit of an old friend of mine from when I was a girl." She thought back for a moment, back when she was young and the Isil Tunnelhold had been fresh as well. So much had changed in the many turns since then, and a little bit of her missed her old tunnel home and the old Weyr she had been born in. Now wasn't the time for reminiscing though.

"And if you have questions, or need guidance on anything, my door is open to you. Now, you can find the study material just over here in this side room off from the common room. It's all copies of known wher information from the archives." She led her over to the room, showing a small room with a bookshelf and a couple of chairs, clearly a sort of study room for people, likely wherlings, but not a whole lot of room for more than just a couple of people. "You should be able to find scrolls and hides on wher anatomy, wher behavior, and the basic differences between Isilian Whers, Wild Whers, and Hold Whers. Have they already taken you through your blooding ceremony with Yarask to strengthen your bond?"
ImageImage
Ember

Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:23 am

The thought of complaining about reading through endless scrolls and hides was lost to her when she was told - or asked rather - of the blood bond. For a moment she look simply confused, and then there was a slip of anger that colored her cheeks before it entered her voice. "Excuse me? I don't know what you're talking about?"

Okay, maybe it hadn't been missed on purpose. After all, from what she understood her bonding hadn't been the most traditional of things. But even so, the fact that this blood bond ceremony hadn't been performed still rankled her nevertheless. When she felt Yarask touch her with a paw, she had to force herself not to swipe it away, and that's when she felt a curl of talon against her trousers.

But just as soon as she had committed the reminder towards her human handler, the crystalline was pulling them away and nuzzling the spot where her paw had rested, showing that there was no damage. Am sorry. See? No hurt. Never hurt, Yarana.

She blinked. Yarana?

Easier.

"Huh." She would have to ask about that, later of course, but first, "But no, a blood bond hasn't been performed. Isn't that where the wher... takes a bite out of you or something?" She asked, glancing down at her wher who seemed far too innocent to do something like that.

— Ray Bradbury —
Marvealle
Site Admin

Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:30 pm

Vithire wasn't surprised at all when Yaranavexa expressed confusion about what a blooding even was. She hadn't been prior trained in being a wherhandler like candidates were, and the fact the Wherlingmaster chose to wait a bit longer than normal for Yarana made sense. When the young wherlet's paw landed on Yarana's leg, Vithire looked and watched the little one a moment. When she saw talons curl in, she prepared to have Vithiresk deliver a mild correction to the young one, but she drew her claws away and nuzzled at Yarana. The little one was young, but perhaps wasn't meaning any harm, and clearly, by how Yaranavexa continued speaking, she was uninjured.

When she asked about the wher taking a "bite out of you," even Vithire found a smile creeping to her face and a light chuckle in her throat.

"Not quite," she clarified with her smile and the hint of amusement in her voice. "It used to be close to that, but over the turns, the handlers of Isil Tunnelhold turned it into a right of passage ceremony for new wherhandlers where a cut is made with a blade. Usually it is done within a few days after the hatchling bonding, but in some cases, it is delayed, often to ensure a new wherling isn't likely to abandon the wherlet before strengthening the bond and making it more permanent." She hoped Yaranavexa understood it was for safety likely that her blooding ceremony had been delayed for so long.

"However, given our brief meeting so far, and that you haven't fled the tunnels yet, I think you two have waited long enough for your blooding."
ImageImage
Ember

Tue May 07, 2019 10:08 pm

Yarana continued to stroke Yarask as Vithire spoke. She wondered what this ceremony was about then, if not "a chunk" and she wasn't disappointed as it was explained to her. It seemed simple enough, and it excited her to know that she seemed qualified for it. Though she found herself taking offense to the idea that she might abandon her wherlet.

Not you. Don't be silly.

Maybe she was being silly and taking it a bit too literal. It wasn't like she was being told she was being accused directly. Perhaps she was just upset over the thought of anyone abandoning their wher when they were just a baby, when they didn't know any better. She glanced down at her own Yarask, and couldn't imagine letting go of something so precious. She knew it was soft of her, and normally she despised being so damn soft, but she couldn't help it where she was concerned. *Don't you dare tell anyone how weak I am where you're concerned, got it?*

Secret safe, no worry with me!

Somehow knowing she could trust in what she was being told, she cleared her thoughts of wher speech as much as she was able to and refocused on Vithire. It was kind of tough to do so, considering she wanted to sink back in those sweet dulcet tones that came from the crystalline. She scratched behind the baby's ears and grinned when one of her rear legs started to wiggle in response. "I would like to have a blooding ceremony, yes. I have no intentions at all of running off on Yarask." None what so ever.

— Ray Bradbury —