Teaching a Thing Or Two [Tag: Kate/Talen]

While a similar idea to the dragonrider apartments, the Dayhandler cabins are individual homes that are overall smaller than the apartment buildings, with size assigned by rank and needs, woth all cabins allowing Daywhers to come inside. Day wherlings move into these cabins after bonding.
Marvealle
Site Admin
Title: Foxy Prince
Pronouns: Any

Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:24 am

If Silas had to sum up his life in Atricis with one word he would choose the word boring. It may have sounded harsh, but to Silas, this life was pretty boring. It was just patrols and guard duty day on and out, with little to do in his time off. He had no craft, and was too old to pursue one as far as he was concerned. For a man who spent much of his younger turns climbing and working and trying to make gains to achieve a goal, this more stable life of always knowing you would have what you had now was... bland. He thought he would adjust to it well enough, but he wanted something more from it, something honestly to work toward since there was only so much he could do to get in Micah's good graces.

One of the things to do that though, to get in the dayhandler Leader's good side still, was happening today. Micah had wanted Silas to get some one on one time with the day wher candidates so each of them could learn a little more about the white day wher. By now, the handlers knew a lot about their day wher companions, enough that their lesson schedule included lectures and the like to teach them all about day whers. However, what they knew about white day whers was horribly limited, given the beasts were rare and the first one they had seen had apparently disappeared from the Weyr with his bonded, or something like that. Silas honestly didn't care about that, but accepted the job to please Micah.

Today Silas would be seeing Talen, if memory served him right. The candidate would shadow him for the day and Silas would teach him. Shards, but Silas wasn't a teacher, he thought to himself as he waited outside one of the day wher pavilions with Nebulas sitting beside him. He would do his best though, a thought that pleased Nebulas.

That's the first good thing you've thought in hours. The day wher said bluntly, earning a chuckle from Silas as he lightly elbowed the beast for his blunt comment.

I think many good things each hour thank you. He responded mentally while they waited for the candidate to show so the day could begin.
Atricis: Next Generation
~..:: Character Tracker & Plotter | Marks Tracker ::..~
Nali ..::||::.. K'rin ..::||::.. M'ir ..::||::.. Raevin ..::||::.. Inakil ..::||::.. Elias ..::||::..
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
..::||::.. Sterling ..::||::.. Vithire ..::||::.. Lolena'vas ..::||::.. Rey'vas ..::||::..
Kate

Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:59 pm

Talen checked himself over in the mirror, frowning a bit. He wasn't quiet sure why he cared so much about his appearance right now, but he did. He found it..funny..and annoying at the same time. Funny because usually he didn't care. He always looked clean, and clean cut. Annoyed because usually he only got like this when he was nervous about meeting someone. It was something that always bugged him. It wasn't that he wasn't a people person, he just..like his privacy sometimes. He tended to not open up to people, which was fine with him. Why would he tell someone he just met, someone that he barely knew, something that it took him a while to tell his friends back home. You told Esca stuff. He saw his cheeks redden and quickly pushed that thought, and all thoughts of the green handler, out of his mind. This was not the time to be thinking about that.

He forced himself to take a breath and realized that if he didn't get moving, he would be late meeting Silas. That was something that he didn't want. He had already gotten on Sheila's bad side, and he didn't need to make things worse by not showing up on time for his private lesson. With one last look he decided he looked fine. He was going to be shadowing today, so who cared what he looked like? He looked fine. It wasn't like he was going to a party or something. They were just going to be around the Weyr...well...as far as he knew anyway.

He walked to the pavillion where he was supposed to be meeting Silas and Nebulas, and saw the two of them waiting there. He studied Nebulas for a moment, taking in the daywher's beauty. He knew whites were rare...and he felt honored to be spending the day with them. He smiled a bit and said, "I hope you weren't waiting to long..." He knew he wasn't late, but he still felt bad that they were already here, waiting for him.
Image Image Image Image Image
Isiana & Andromedath | A'ric & Behemoth | K'uavaen & Synsith | Talen & Khonlen | Devyn & Isamuyn
Marvealle
Site Admin

Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:30 am

"I hope you weren't waiting to long..."

At the form of greeting, Silas turned his gaze upon the young male, looking over the candidate for just a brief moment before nodding.

"No need for concern, I like to show up to meetups early." Which meant Silas was the type of guy who liked to be the first one there if he could manage it, as it ensured punctuality on his own part.

"As I'm sure you already know, I am Silas, and this here is white Nebulas," he introduced himself properly, gesturing to the white day wher beside him who was now looking at Talen with at least some degree of interest.

"You will be shadowing me today, correct? Very well, feel free to ask any questions. I'm afraid I have never acted as a teacher before, so I cannot say I will be as good a teacher as Micah or Sheila," though honestly, Silas wondered how Sheila managed to teach the candidates anything, she certainly didn't seem capable of such a thing, but he kept such thoughts to himself about the wild woman, "but I will try my best for you."
Nali ..::||::.. K'rin ..::||::.. M'ir ..::||::.. Raevin ..::||::.. Inakil ..::||::.. Elias ..::||::..
Image Image Image Image
..::||::.. Sterling ..::||::.. Vithire ..::||::.. Lolena'vas ..::||::.. Rey'vas ..::||::..
Kate

Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:27 pm

Talen couldn't help but softly sigh in relief, without really even thinking about it. He was glad that SIlas was not mad that he had had to wait for him. He thought about what he said, and couldn't help but smile, just a bit. Silas seemed to be the same as him about being on time. Sometimes Talen still cut it close, more often than he cared to admit, but he still liked to be early to things if he could manage it. He always hated having people waiting for him, but he guessed as long as Silas wasn't upset, he wouldn't dwell on it any longer. There were other things he had to think about today.

He frowned a bit at his own lack of manners and then said, " It is a pleasure and honor to meet you both. I'm Talen..." Great, now he looked like a complete idiot. How could he have forgotten his manners like that? He had been raised better than that, hadn't he? He'd have to remember to do better the next time. It didn't seem as though Silas was angry about it, so the candidate just decided to leave well enough alone.

Talen nodded slowly when asked about the shadowing. He was honestly a bit nervous, but the nerves gave way to curiosity. What would it be like to be with the white handler and white daywher all day? He nodded a bit and said, "I'm sure you will do fine. No matter what, I'm bound to learn something. Isn't the old saying something like...you learn something new everyday?" He hoped that would maybe help Silas be at ease, or at least, hopefully it did. He wanted this to be a good experience for both of them.
Isiana & Andromedath | A'ric & Behemoth | K'uavaen & Synsith | Talen & Khonlen | Devyn & Isamuyn
Marvealle
Site Admin

Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:32 pm

The young lad's reassurance actually did help Silas feel a bit at ease about the day ahead of them. Even if Silas wasn't really a teacher, he was right, Talen was bound to learn something as long as he paid attention. Honestly, Nebulas would probably teach more to Talen just by doing what he normally did than Silas could. No matter, the day for them had begun, and it was time to get started.

"Here is hoping you do learn at least something from today," he said with a nod, "I wouldn't want your day to go to waste." Silas could appreciate a desire to learn, and he didn't want the day to be useless for the candidate at the very least.

"Ok, we'll start the day with a patrol around the Weyr proper," he stated, then moved over to an area of the pavilion they had been waiting in where a saddle and some straps were waiting.

"Do you want to help me tack up Nebulas? It will give you a chance to see how it's done first hand," he suggested to the candidate as he pulled out the blanket that would go over the spot the saddle would rest to keep from chafing the wher's hide. His blanket was a jade green color, the color of his patrol group, with the Weyr's emblem stitched on the front corner on either side. He laid the blanket onto the white wher who stood still so they could strap him up.

"Place the saddle here, have you seen or done any work with a saddle before?"
Image Image Image Image
Kate

Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:13 am

The dark eyed candidate could not help but chuckle a bit as he heard Silas. He thought a moment and said, "I wouldn't want my day to go to waste either, but that wasn't even in my mind. I'm always learning something, even if I don't know I am.." He knew that was the truth. Sometimes he would find out something he didn't know, just by watching people, not even really knowing he was taking it in. Back home he had picked up little things from watching people, not even knowing. It didn't happen often, but sometimes he just found he randomly knew something, something he didn't know he had even ever learned.

He was brought out of his thoughts by the white rider's voice. He nodded a bit, showing he understood what Silas was saying. A patrol actually did sound rather interesting. He still had not seen the whole Weyr, or at least he highly doubted he had. It wasn't exactly the...smallest...place ever. It would be much easier to see the entire place on the back of a day wher. He told himself that he needed to stop daydreaming, he really didn't need Silas thinking he wasn't paying attention. He quickly followed the day wher handler over to the place where the saddle was waiting for them.

Talen nodded eagerly and said, "Sure...sounds good to me.." He was rather excited, but not too excited. He didn't want to look like an overeager child. He knew what was expected of him as a candidate, and he wanted to make sure that nothing else to give anyone any doubt that he wasn't ready for a day wher. He watched as Silas put the saddle cloth on, noting where it should sit on the wher's back. When he did it himself, he wanted to at least know what he was doing.

He shook his head a bit and said, "I've seen the saddle, but I can't say that I've ever actually put one on before.." He honestly couldn't remember where he had been during that lesson. Maybe they hadn't had it yet? Or maybe it was something that they learned when they were Wherlings? He shrugged it off and said, "But I'm up for trying, as long as you're ok with it taking me a few minutes..."
Marvealle
Site Admin

Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:05 pm

Silas wasn't surprised when the candidate admitted never having put on a saddle before. Even if he had put on a runner's saddle before, a day wher's saddle was a little bit different, as it sat in a different spot and was designed a little differently. The whitehandler nodded in understanding before gesturing Talen over closer to give him some hands on experience. They probably learned all this in wherlinghood, but Silas figured he would give Talen a bit of a head start with today.

"Ok, take the saddle and place it here, close to the center of the blanket here. Ah, make sure the pommel, that's this part, is facing forward," he instructed the candidate, standing slightly to the side to let him work on it a bit as Nebulas stood by quietly and patiently. Once the saddle was placed on, Silas checked the placement, adjusting it slightly before showing Talen a set of the straps.

"Now tighten these straps into the buckle here, Nebulas will tell you if you make it too tight or pinch him, so don't be afraid to pull it tight."
Image x2
Image Image Image Image
Kate

Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:05 am

Talen felt kind of odd, admitting that he had never saddled a Daywher before, although he felt better almost instantly when Silas didn't really seem all that shocked to hear it, or concerned about it. The dark haired candidate took a breath as he followed the White Handler over to where everything was that he would need. Dark eyes looked at everything, noticing that it was kind of similar to runner tack, but, not so similar that he knew what to do. Granted, he barely knew what to do with runners anyway, but he had thought maybe it would be the same. He was pretty sure that at least the concept was the same.

Watching carefully, the candidate noted where Silas was telling him the saddle would end up going. He didn't want to screw it up and hurt Nebulas. That would probably not make Silas very happy. Talen grabbed the saddle, half expecting it to be heavier, but was pleasantly surprised when it wasn't. He nodded a bit as Silas showed him which part of the saddle should go in the front, and Talen gently set it on the daywher's back, adjusting it a bit so he had it where he thought it should go.

He was pleased that Silas only had to adjust it a little, glad that his first attempt had not been exceptionally horrible. He took the straps and did as he was told, slowly pulling them tighter. He knew he probably shouldn't pull them too tight too fast, as that would probably pinch the White. Once he thought he had it tight enough, he smiled a bit and said, "Thanks...that wasn't as hard as I thought it would be..."

Image x9