Can't We Do Anything? - Tag: Shyran/LdyPayne

While a similar idea to the dragonrider apartments, the Dayhandler cabins are individual homes that are overall smaller than the apartment buildings, with size assigned by rank and needs, woth all cabins allowing Daywhers to come inside. Day wherlings move into these cabins after bonding.
Parker
Site Admin
Title: High Ebilness
Pronouns: He/Him

Thu May 10, 2018 10:44 pm

Darrow remained the steady and silent shadow beside Shyran as she pleaded the case, more for Reshelde than for Isolde's sake. He really hoped that Micah would see the same injustice they did in how all of this was going to affect the gray, not just his handler. He hadn't been with Argow that long, but he couldn't imagine not being able to be with her. That just seemed like a fate worse than death. To know that she was still alive, but he could never be with her....just awful. He hoped and prayed to the goddesses that he would never feel his bond with her slipping away from him.

Micah rested his chin on his one good hand as he thought about her argument. "Ya make a fair point. Reshelde didn' d' anythin' against Walled's rules. It does feel unfair tha' he'd be punished along with her." He reached for a small scrap of paper and his quill and wrote out a quick message on it that he then sent on one of his 'lizards. "I'm checkin' 'n somethin' with Justicar Adonis. Are either o' ya familiar with him?" Micah asked curiously. He thought he knew what the man's answer would be, but it didn't hurt to check. "He's a Justicar but he stays 'ere at the weyr 'n helps with scenarios like this."

"Can I get any o' ya somethin' ta drink while we wait?" Micah offered kindly. He was a stiff and strict man by nature, but he could still be polite and offer drinks. It didn't take long for his pet to come back with another message tied to it. He took it and read it a couple of times before he said anything. "A'righ'. I asked 'im if Reshelde was gonna be takin' 'nta account when they decide 'n a punishment for 'er. He said tha' they would, but since 'e isn' a dragon he migh' no' carry as much weigh'." He explains and then writes back another note. "I'm askin' 'im now if he thinks it would be permitted ta allow ya ta go ta Walled to represent Reshelde for the Pack's sake. I think, if there is any 'ope o' ya gettin' ta go, it has ta be phrased like tha'."
Image Image Image Image Image
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Candidate Carver | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

.::..::..::..::..::..
PC Character Tracker | Marks Tracker | NPC Stash
LdyPayne

Fri May 11, 2018 5:25 pm

It was a relief to hear Micah understood her point. Reshelda was innocent in all of this and if Walled Hold gave Isolde the death sentence for the crime she did, Reshelda would likely be killed as well as he tried to defend her. Even if Isolde was just imprisoned, to be separated from her for the rest of his life would be torture to the Day Wher. They may be able to communicate if the distance wasn't too far but who would take care of the Day Wher? As horrible as having the bond break due to distance at least if Reshelda was here, he would have his pack mates to turn to for support and love.

When Micah reached for paper and wrote a note to give to his pet to deliver, Shyran turned to smile at Darrow. She reached out with her hand to give his arm a squeeze, both out of gratitude for his silent support and in hope her words were heard by Micah and they could actually help Isolde and her Day Wher.

"I have heard of Justicar Adonis and how he's not just a Walled Hold representative here but also a rider. I don't know him personally or even met him." Shyran admits. It occurred to her then she could have consulted with Justica Adonis on whether she had a strong enough case to be allowed to represent Reshelde but felt given the chain of command going through Micah was still the best course of action. But she was no Justicar herself nor that familiar with Walled Hold's laws so it would be beneficial if allowed to go, for her to talk to Adonis for advice. Something in mind for later.

"Some water would be fine," Shyran replied. After doing most of the talking her throat was a little dry. Once Micah handed her a glass she took a slow drink then looked back at Darrow. Her friend had been quiet for the entire meeting so far but knowing he was there and 100% behind her, was all the help she needed for now. Later she would likely need him more, especially if they were allowed to go to Walled Hold.

"Hopefully Justicar Adonis sends good news," Shyran says to Darrow. A moment later Micah's 'lizard returns with a message and Shyran turns her attention back to him, her heart beating harder as she waits to hear what Adonis had to say. At first she felt hope crumble when Micah read out the note, saying the Walled Hold Justicars may not put much weight on Reshelde's fate as he wasn't a dragon. Day Whers weren't ever used at Walled Hold and it didn't surprise her most would see them as little more than the old Watchwhers, more beast than sentient. Hearing Micah intended to ask if he could send Shyran and Darrow to speak on behalf of Reshelde hope jumped within her once more.

"That would work, make sure he reminds his contact in Walled Hold Daywhers are as intelligent and self aware as dragons, not mindless animals as many who never met a Day Wher may think." Shyran pointed out. She had heard many things about Whers and Daywhers back at Walled and not all were flattering. To anybody who took the time to actually meet one however, they knew Day Whers were something far different then the old tales of Watchwhers.
Parker
Site Admin

Sun May 13, 2018 2:24 am

"He's a good man. I've nev'r known 'im ta be anythin' other than honorable 'n just. If anyone knows if somethin' can be done, he'll know." Micah assured them both as he stood and poured them each a glass of water.

Darrow gave Shyran a smile as he too anxiously waited to hear back from the Justicar. When the lizard did come back and the note read, he couldn't help the disappointment that spread on his face. He reached a hand up and squeezed Shyran's shoulder. "Well, I guess I can see why they wouldn't. I don't agree with it, but...our culture has always worshiped dragons and even if they don't know much about day whers, I'm sure they know that bonds can break without meaning death." Darrow spoke and then blushed deeply. "Sorry, don't mean to play enemy advocate."

"It's a'righ', lad. Ya make a point. We need ta t'ink like 'em if we want 'alf a chance o' bein' able ta do somethin'." Micah assured the quiet blackhandler. Quite a few minutes went by without his lizard returning. "Adonis must be sendin' us a long answer." He commented and then took a sip of his own glass of water. About ten minutes in total passed and then finally his pet came back, but there was no note for them. Micah gave a confused look, but then there was a knock at the door. "Come 'n."

The door opened and a tall, impeccable, but almost intimidating man walked in. "I hope I didn't keep you waiting too long, but I thought it best I come and speak with you in person." The dark haired man said as he shut the door behind him. He gave a polite bow to Micah and then turned to Darrow and Shyran and gave them a polite bow as well. "I am Justicar Adonis. I can answer any questions you may have. I'm dearly regret to tell you, though, that this plan to represent Reshelde for his own behalf likely would be turned down. Even if the Justicars presiding over the case agreed to it, the odds of it working is very low. You have to understand the crimes of which Lady Isolde has been charged with are grave indeed. Enough so that even if she were a rider, the consequences of her punishment affecting a dragon would only partially be taken into consideration. Now, I cannot hazard to guess what the ruling will be. She will, of course, be given a fair trial, but as far as punishment goes there will be one given...and that could very well include the death penalty. Believe me, I do not wish this was the answer I have, but it is the only true one I can give."

Darrow's face fell and he reached again to put a comforting hand on Shyran's shoulder.
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Candidate Carver | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

LdyPayne

Mon May 14, 2018 5:57 pm

Shyran certainly was aware of how dragons were respected and dragonriders were the highest level one could become in Walled Hold besides the Mother. Yet given what happened recently and the claim Mother actually poisoned a goldrider Shyran couldn't really put much stock in how those in power at Walled Hold actually valuing dragonic life. Unfortunately it also had her doubt the life of Day Wher would have any value to the Justicars when they pass sentence.

"I'm more worried they will kill Reselde simply because he'll likely do everything he can to protect Isolde, as any good Day Wher would to protect their bond in danger." Shyran glanced over at Pacaran who nodded. He would die to protect Shyran, if it came down to it.

When minutes dragged by and Micah made the comment Adonis was writing a long message, Shyran let out a slow breath. "I hope he just doesn't feel it's worth his time to respond..."

The knock at the door was a surprise, causing Shyran to start and turn towards it. Pacaran rose to his feet, alert for any danger. When Micah called for whoever knock to enter, Pacaran relaxed, trusting the Patriarch wouldn't allow an enemy in.

At the sight of the tall Justicar, Shyran showed her respect. The only thing that controlled a Justicar's actions was the Law, even if the Law wasn't the same at Atricis as it was at Walled Hold. "Justicar Adonis, thank you for coming here in person," Shyran responded. "I certainly do understand the law of Walled Hold and from what I heard about the charges placed upon Isolde are grave and if proven true, her fate would be dire. Reshelde however didn't take part in her crimes and likely knew nothing about them so is innocent of any charges. However, being a loyal Day Wher, he'll want to defend his Bonded. If he prefers to end his life along with his bonded, if that should be the punishment decided, he should be allowed to do so with dignity and Honour. But he is part of the Day Wher Pack here, he may wish to live his days with the Pack and honor his fallen Handler that way."

Shyran turned slightly and indicated Pacaran who rose to move beside her, being careful not to crowd Darrow or the other humans. Placing her hand on his shoulder, Shyran introduced him. "This is Pacaran, he's a rare type of Daywher who's specialty is Diplomacy. What I hope to do is be allowed to stand for Reshelde, to give him a chance to decide how he should proceed should the Trial against his Handler end in a guilty verdict and the worse possible sentence is given. In a way, having us there would ensure Reshelde doesn't try and take out as many of Walled's guards as he can to protect Isolde before he's overwhelmed."

<My Packbrother may not be as formidable as our winged kin but when it comes to defending our bonded, we are as fierce and tenacious as any dragon defending their rider.> Pacaran spoke to Adonis. He didn't like to speak with humans he wasn't familiar with but there were times he knew it was necessary. Fortunately being this close did make it easier.>I do not wish any harm to befall him but if there is a diplomatic way to ensure his life and possible death are dealt with dignity then my Handler and I should be allowed to help, even if just to limit or eliminate potential harm to those assigned to guard Reshelde and his Handler.>
Parker
Site Admin

Wed May 16, 2018 3:28 am

Micah and Darrow remained silent as Shyran continued to fight for the opportunity...no, really it was the right...to depend their pack brother. Both of them had very similar looks on their faces as they listened to her give very good points. To say the least it was rather impressive. Despite the gravity of the situation, Darrow had to hide a little smirk on his face at watching his friend really shining in her role of the pack.

Adonis folded his hands behind his back and listened politely as the woman gave him her case. His face was very neutral, not indicating one way or another if her reasoning and logic was at all working or not. Then, when Pacaran was introduced, he turned more towards the Jewel and gave him a polite bow as well. When both of them were done speaking, Adonis took a moment to think everything over. Micah was content to simply wait to see what the Justicar had to say about this matter. He might have been the day wher leader, but Adonis was the expert here. Darrow was trained to well to show the impatience he was feeling.

"Hmm..." Adonis began. "You've made quite a few very good points. In all other cases that the Justicars have had to try with a bonded pair has involved dragons. In those cases well...the dragon has very little say on their own fate. This case is a bit unprecedented in that even if Isolde were giving capital punishment, Reshelde would not automatically die with her." A thoughtful look is plastered on his face for another few minutes until Micah finally breaks it.

"Quarter mark for ya thoughts, Adonis? Do ya think it is pos'ble?" Micah asked curiously.

Adonis turned and looked at him. While it didn't show on his face, the Justicar was honestly unsure. "I can't say. Basically, something like this is not written into our Laws, therefore, there is no way to determine what is the just thing to do." His attention turned back to Shyran and gave her a bow. "Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I believe the next course for action will be to go to Walled and address the Justicars with this matter before the trial ever has a chance to begin. I also believe that Reshelde himself should be consulted with to see where he would stand on this matter."
Image Image Image Image

LdyPayne

Thu May 17, 2018 2:33 am

Shyran waited patiently while Adonis considered her words. She knew she had gave it her best shot and now it was up to Justicar Adonis to decide if everything she told him meant she had a chance to represent Reshelde and Isolde. If he didn't think it was worth even asking if she may be permitted to speak on her packmate's behave the day was all for nothing. Shyran hadn't expected Micah to bring Justicar Adonis into this or even to have the man himself appear to hear what she had to say but if he refused without even trying, she would know something about his character too.

The silence didn't last long before Adonis spoke, drawing her full attention. Shyran nodded as he pointed out how unusual this case was and the difference in the bond between rider and dragon and Handler and Wher. Everybody knew a dragon couldn't live without a rider but a Daywher could. She was glad Adonis saw the danger even a small Daywher would be once his Handler was killed, even if justly.

When Adonis thanked her for bringing everything to his attention she felt the tension within her ease. There still was no guarantee she would be able to help Reshelde and Isolde in any way but to know Adonis was willing to at least look into the matter and present it to the Justicars of Walled Hold was more than she could hope for.

"Yes, I think so too." Here she looked over at Micah, knowing it would be his decision now whether she could see the Walled Hold Justicars. "If you will permit Patriarch Micah, and you as well Justicar Adonis, Darrow and I, along with our whers, would like to accompany you to speak with the Justicars of Walled Hold and consult with Reshelde. There may be nothing any of us can do to prove whether Isolde is guilty or not of the crimes she's accused of but we can at least help her Daywher find peace with it."
Parker
Site Admin

Fri May 18, 2018 3:28 pm

Micah rubbed a hand over his scruffy face as he looked at Shyran and then at Darrow. The lad had been quite silent through the whole thing. "Do ya wish ta go wit' 'er, Darrow?" He asked the blackhandler.

"Yes, sir. I am not versed in the ways of diplomacy, but I would like to go to give her moral support at least." Darrow answered honestly in his meek voice.

The Patriarch gave a nod and then looked back at Shyran. "A'righ'. If Justicar Adonis permits it, than so will I. On one condition though. I want ya ta be sure ta send me messages each day ta let me know wha' is goin' on." Micah knew he was too busy running the Pack here to ever have time to go to Walled to try and defend one of their members...even if he'd like to.

Darrow gave him a polite bow and then turned and smiled to Shyran.

"Before you two get your hopes up. Allow me time to go to Walled myself to present this situation before my peers. I will do my very best to seek their approval and if it is granted then I shall return for you both. Luckily, trials never go quickly in Walled. The Law is upheld with too much honor to be treated so flippantly." Adonis gave all of them a deep, polite bow. "You will hear from me sooner regardless of the outcome."

(Think here is a good end for this one?)
Image Image Image Image

LdyPayne

Sat May 19, 2018 8:50 pm

Shyran turned to look at Darrow after he told Patriarch Micah he was willing to go for moral support at least. She was glad to have him there for just that but knew he would be very helpful in reading the crowd, or more accurately the Justicars. If they are allowed to go she intended to work with Darrow on planning their strategy and using both their assets to do the best they can to see their Packmates, human and Daywher get the best chance possible.

Turning back to Micah Shyran nodded. "It won't be a problem getting messages back to you on a daily basis, Patriarch," she assured him. With 6 fancy flits she had plenty of messengers though she won't likely bring them all with her. The trip will also give her a chance to check in on her family, she never had a chance to go home since she left to become a Daywher Handler.

"Thank you Justicar Adonis for all your help," Shyran responded. She hadn't expected his help especially when she hadn't considered asking him for it. She trusted him enough to know he'll get back to her as soon as he had a chance to talk to his fellow Justicars back at Walled. "Darrow and I will use the time to prepare ourselves should we be granted the opportunity to talk to your peers at Walled Hold."

"Thank you as well Patriarch Micah for giving us your time and giving your permission for Darrow and I to go to Walled Hold, if they permit it." Shyran added. She looked to Darrow then and smiled at him, knowing she will have plenty of time after Micah dismissed them to tell Darrow how much she appreciated his help now and later.

ooc: and that's a Wrap there...unless you really need the Marks and want to have Darrow reply to wrap ;)