Curbing the Unwise - Tag Darrow

While a similar idea to the dragonrider apartments, the Dayhandler cabins are individual homes that are overall smaller than the apartment buildings, with size assigned by rank and needs, woth all cabins allowing Daywhers to come inside. Day wherlings move into these cabins after bonding.
LdyPayne

Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:12 pm

Ever since Shiravani lost her Daywher, Shyran couldn't let the fact the felines had hurt her friend and killed on of Pacaran's packmates. Every spare moment she had she was in the records room learning everything she could about Felines in general. She was familiar with the domesticated version, having seen plenty of them in Walled but she wasn't as familiar with their larger wild kin. Once she finished studying what was known about wild Felines, she looked over the newest imformation various teams of Wher and Daywher Handlers had compiled since the first attacks.

Having three more firelizards to care for and train did keep her busy but not so busy she forgot her friend's loss. Every time Shyran walked past Shiravani's apartment and when she spent time with her, she remembered the ichor soaked image of her entering the Dinning Room, desparate for help to bring her Roavani home. Shyran had helped her and they saw the white properly sent off.

Eventually she couldn't stand just sitting back and doing nothing and decided it was time to do someting about those Felines and Pacaran and her will going to do just that. Shyran wasn't a fighter but she hoped Pacaran, being one of the largest of the Daywhers, would be intimidating enough the Felines wouldn't dare attack him. A part of her bulked at this idea however so it took far longer for her to actually start making preperations than it would otherwise. Hearing reports that some of the large felines had been seen during the night by a Nightwher patrol but had fled before they could be engaged, Shyran decided she will set out with her plan.

She wasn't going after the large group the Night Wher Patrol had spotted, as by all accounts it had only been a couple of the Felines who attacked Shirvani and Roavani. Shyran wished she had followed the trail Roavani left trying to get to Shirvani before he passed but her focus had been on seeing Roavani safely to Atricis and thus easing her friend's mind so she could be properly tended to. After that there was no way she could come back, the Pack Leader took over from there and it was the last she heard of it.

<This isn't wise,> Pacaran pointed out as Shyran attached the riding harness on the Jewel's back. <I may be strong and good enough at fighting but these Felines are a great thread and not to be taken lightly. We should consult with our leaders and go as a large force, too large for the Felines to overcome. Besides, revenge will not bring Roavani back nor ease the pain your friend feels. Time will mend her heart.>

"You've spoken of this before Pacaran but despite all efforts by both our pack and that of the night Whers, the felines still roam free." Shyran reminded him. "Besides, it won't just be us, all my flits will be with us and they could spot the felines and allow us to ambush them for a change."

Pacaran pawed at the ground, instinct telling him this wasn't the way. He had tried reason with his rider but still she insisted she was the one to stop the Felines. In the end he decided if she not going to be persuaded then he'll take whatever measures he could to protect her. Telling the Packleaders would be the wise thing to do but he didn't wish Shyran to feel betrayed, instead he reached out to a friend, somebody who at least would be a strong protector alongside him at least.

<Argow, clutchsister, I have need of you and yours.> Pacaran called to the black. He hoped Argow sensed his urgency and came quickly. He also hoped the quiet handler could convince his Shyran to not pursue this quest of hers. Worse comes to worse Pacaran hoped Argow would come with them, this way he would have the Guardian at his side to fight against any Felines, if combat turned out to be the only option.
Parker
Site Admin
Title: High Ebilness
Pronouns: He/Him

Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:54 pm

Life had changed since graduating daylinghood, but not all of it. Which was a good thing because too much change all at once could be stressful and no one needed any extra stress around the weyr. Being on full guard duty was better than he expected and worse in some ways. It was only worse thanks to the constant threat of felines that were still at large in the weyr's territory. It was better because Darrow had been absolutely thrilled about seeing more of his home. He had not been disappointed with his first patrol, but again...the looming threat of felines put a damper on things. Another of their numbers had been killed by them, Roavani. That death had greatly affected him and Argow. He'd been a clutch mate and fellow dayling. Shiravani was a part of them and now she was alone. Well, not completely alone. She had them still.

Without studies to pour over, Darrow had turned that time back into practice for his music. Which is what he was doing now. While he knew plenty of instruments, it was a personal goal of his to learn as many of them as possible. Right now he was working on learning how to play the horn. Since he'd first started learning he wasn't that great at it, but he was determined. Argow was resting on her bed or was at least trying to with the noise of the horn. Do you have to do that when I'm trying to sleep? She asked a bit testily. Darrow chuckled and stopped what he was doing. "I have to practice sometime. Why don't you go outside and nap there?" He suggested.

Before Argow had a chance to retort her ears perked up and she looked off into the distance. Pacaran needs us. He did not say why, but his voice is urgent. We should go. Quickly. The black said as she jumped to her feet and moved to the door. Darrow only took the time to put down his instrument and throw on a pair of boots before he opened the door. Then, the two headed to where their friends were.

We are here, dear brother. What is the matter? Argow asked with concern. Her very stance was that of one ready to protect or defend if need be.

"Hey, Shyran. What's going on? Pacaran called for us. Sounded urgent." Darrow greeted his friend.
Image Image Image Image Image
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Car'vis and Corentivis | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

.::..::..::..::..::..
PC Character Tracker | Marks Tracker | NPC Stash
LdyPayne

Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:22 pm

Shyran finished tightening a buckle securing her pack to Pacaran's flank. It was a challenge to figure out a way to load just enough equipment and supplies on her Daywher to evenly distribute the weight but not overburden him. He may have to carry her too and Shyran didn't want to put needless strain even if Pacaran assured her he could handle the load fine. On top of simple weight concerns she had to make sure it wasn't too bulky. Having a pack or buckle snag on some underbrush as they move through the jungle would be just as risky as too much weight. Overall she felt she had things well distributed so nothing stuck out along Pacaran's sides or back and he was far from being overburden if she rode him.

The arrival of Argow caught Shyran by surprise then she realized just why the black and Darrow too suddenly appeared just when she was about to leave. You called them! How could you do so Pacaran? Shyran gave her Daywher a disappointed glare.

<You need help if we're going to do this, Argow is a strong Daywher and we may need him.> Pacaran explained. Better to let Shyran think he called them to come along instead of the hope Argow's Handler could talk sense in her where he failed.

"Hello Darrow," Shyran turned her attention to Darrow then, slightly mullified at Pacaran's explanation. A part of her felt he wasn't being completely truthful, yet she couldn't deny having Darrow and Argow with her would increase their odds of killing the Feline who killed Roavani. "I'm about to go out hunting, tired of just sitting around doing nothing."

Now that Shyran finished securing the packages on his back, Pacaran was free to move forward and greet his sister properly. <Thank you for coming Argow,> Pacaran told his clutch-sister. <Shyran wishes to hunt the feline who killed our brother but this won't be wise...but she won't listen to me, perhaps she'll listen to yours. If not well, perhaps you'll come with us, maybe let others know so we hunt this feline a Pack not individuals which is very unwise.>
Parker
Site Admin

Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:13 am

"I'm about to go out hunting, tired of just sitting around doing nothing."

"Going hunting?" Darrow asked curiously as he looked at all the gear she was currently packing onto Pacaran. Obviously she wasn't referring to simple hunting to let Pacaran stretch his legs and hunt in the wild for one meal. The comment of being tired sitting around doing nothing also gave him a rather good idea of what she was talking about.

Argow visibly was taken aback by what Pacaran's handler wished to do. I understand why she would want to, but no...this does not seem very wise. Of course we will try and talk her out of it, but if that is not possible then we will go with you. The black assured her brother and then informed Darrow of what was going on.

"Shyran...I don't think this is a good idea. I understand why you want to track down the felines, but come one stop and think about this." Darrow pleaded with her. He wanted to argue with Argow about them going with them, but that was less important at the moment. "We are freshly graduated. Older, more experienced handlers have gone up against these felines and lost their lives or the lives of their whers and day whers. Do you really think that we could take on even one of them by ourselves?"
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Car'vis and Corentivis | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

LdyPayne

Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:56 pm

Shyran didn't have to hear the conversation that happened between Pacaran and Argow to figure out what was said. Darrow pretty much revealed his black filled him in completely. You called them here for more than just backup, how's that being diplomatic? she accused her Wher.

<It was very diplomatic...you wouldn't listen to me, so I called Argow and his rider to help. If we couldn't convince you not to do this then they are here to help. Either way it lessens the risk to us both,> Pacaran responded to back up his decision. <You know what my council was from the start, and I will still stand by you to the end but I rather not our end be due to something ill conceived.>

Shyran shot Pacaran another glare. Lets see if she'll oil him next time he complained of an itch. As harsh as the thought was deep down she knew it will never happen. If her Daywher was itchy she would take care of it, to do anything else was not in her nature. Turning her attention back to Darrow she gave a distinct huff of frustration.

"Pacaran has already told me those exact same arguments," Shyran responded. "You know as much as I however how ineffective all these 'experienced' Handlers have been so far to stopping the thread of the Felines. Shiravani was just out on a normal patrol, not even looking for them when she was attacked and lost Roavani. I don't want to wait till they ambush us, I want to hunt them down and ambush them. I have plenty of Flits to send out and find any Feline out of it's own and Pacaran and I can track it down and kill it. Shiravani deserves to have the pelt of the Feline who killed her Roavani to hang on her wall."

The moment Shyran mentioned her firelizards, her two eldest ones appeared and settled on her shoulders now that she was done getting Pacaran loaded up. The three younger also appeared more out of curiosity of what drew the older ones here than having any intention of taking part on the hunt. They flew around and started chasing each other in some game only they knew about.

Shyran had hoped the younger Fancy Flits wouldn't have showed up, they would need many months of training before they were ready to comb the jungle looking for Felines without putting themselves at risk. Young as they were now she expected they would grow bored and end up chasing jungle insects or end up back at her apartment. Hopefully Darrow didn't see how inexperienced and useless they would be in this hunt and use it to further argue against it.
Parker
Site Admin

Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:50 am

Darrow could understand her frustration, but that was no cause for her to do something that could get her and Pacaran killed. "There is a good reason we have told you these things, Shyran." He argued back to her. "I do know how ineffective the experienced handlers have been. That only makes me believe more that us fledglings would only be throwing ourselves to our deaths if we tried to take on these felines ourselves." What did she think they could do that the others hadn't? They were not any more special than any of the other members of the Pack or the handlers of the night whers.

"Shyran, it's not..." He rubbed his face with as a sign of his own frustration. "It's not that simple. Groups of whers and handlers have gone out to do that exactly and have failed. I'm sure some of them had 'lizards to help too." Darrow was about ready to say something else, but then her fair of 'lizards came to join them. Since he was rather new to having pets, he couldn't really tell that three of them were all that unruly. His basilisk Ketch liked to stay curled up around his neck and his gossamer Lady Bevel was generally clinging to him or Argow. She was so little though it wasn't always easy to spot her other than her bright pink hide.

"I really think you need to step back and really think about this. If you really want to do something, then let's do something smart. Let's go put pressure on the leaders to do more. Let's get riders to start coming with the guards to watch from the air. Let's do anything than go charging to our potential deaths." Darrow pleaded with her. He stepped closer and put a hand on her shoulder. "Shiravani does deserve the pelt of the feline that kills Roavani, but does she deserve the death of another friend?"
Image Image Image Image

LdyPayne

Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:09 am

Shyran listened to Darrow, she wasn't so rude as to not pay attention or simply cut him off. However mentally she was dismissing his arguments. Everything from thinking even experienced Handlers could be missing something or even viewing things in an outdated way. His warnings about going to their deaths she just huffed at, wanting to just excuse it as over reaction. Even when he brought up the likelihood the other experienced Handlers had pets too. Of course this was true, she had seen some with gem lizards or other pets but that didn't mean they actually used them in their patrols.

"I have been thinking about this," Shyran cut in before she could stop herself from interrupting. After that outburst she did stay silent, letting Darrow continue. His point about putting pressure on the leaders to do more and get riders to help with the Guards did make sense. After all it was a former Wherhandler who had pushed Darilex into formally allowing teams to survey and gather info about the Felines. If the tactic worked once perhaps it'll work again. Even this thought wasn't enough to completely change her mind about heading out to hunt down the felines. Then Darrow touched her shoulder, drawing her eyes to him once more and more importantly her mind was focused on his words and not just her ears.

"No...she doesn't deserve to lose another friend," Shyran agreed. Clenching her fists she still felt the urge to hunt the felines down but the last thing she wanted to do was get herself killed or worse, Pacaran. Nor did she want to risk Darrow and Agro.

<You know he's right. As just as hunting the Felines is to punish them for their attacks and the many lives they have taken, sacrificing ourselves won't please Shiravani nor bring back my lost clutchbother.> Pacaran lowered his head and nuzzled her.

Shyran exhaled, one hand reaching out to caress Pacaran but it was Darrow she addressed. "Alright...I will hold on my plans to hunt down that Feline. As much as I want to get revenge on Shiravani's behalf I certainly don't want her losing anymore friends. I just want to do something...and maybe your suggestion is the best and only thing I can do, pressure Darilex into doing more than just gather information."
Parker
Site Admin

Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:48 pm

Darrow hoped that his words hit home, but he wasn't sure either. Shyran was a smart woman, but a situation like this he could see how a person would easily let the anger get away from them enough to do something brash. Shyran and Pacaran are both smart. She will see things correctly. Argow said with confidence and sure enough, the jewelhandler soon came around to their way of thinking. Darrow gave her shoulder another squeeze and he smiled at her. "Good."

Argow visibly relaxed a little and after Pacaran had given his handler a nuzzle she gave him one as well. I'm glad that worked out. Not that I don't appreciate a bit of adventure, but still...I think Darrow's plan is a good one.

"I really do understand why you feel that way, Shyran. None of us want to see anymore deaths by the claws of these felines, but we got to be smart about this." Darrow was breathing a little easier now that he knew he wasn't going to have to go off chasing her down or telling one of the higher ups that she had gone off to hunt felines. "I know I'm not great at talking to people, but I will happily go with you to talk to the leaders if you want. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to show a united front that we want more action to be taken."
Image Image Image Image

LdyPayne

Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:55 pm

Now that she decided to stand down and not go out on a hunt for Felines Shyran realized she would have to unpack everything she just loaded Pacaran with. It all suddenly seemed like such a chore now that her determination to leave was redirected to a more practical solution.

"You did a pretty good job at convincing me to not go Feline hunting as I planned," Shyran pointed out. "I will be glad of your company, besides the more of us who talk to our leaders to I think the better. If our normal patrols are in danger then we can't effectively protect the Weyr anyway."

<I'm a diplomat more than a hunter or a guardian, this is a better solution. A proper plan of action makes more sense, especially with aerial support.> Pacaran was eager to prove himself but out right fighting wasn't his forte, that was the realm of the guardians. He may be as big and strong as some Guardians but that was mostly so his purpose in the pack wouldn't be hampered by strong paw tactics.

"Could you give me a hand unpacking Pacaran then we can see about getting a meeting with Darilex so we can deal with these felines in a more effective manner. I don't know about the more senior Daywher Handlers but I am tired of hearing of those Felines picking us off one by one, the Whers as well."

ooc: good spot to end? Should we start a new thread with them approaching Darilex? I can't recall if he's NPC or a PC character.
Parker
Site Admin

Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:35 am

Darrow gave a soft shrug and a smile. "You're my friend, so of course I had to do something to stop you from doing something dangerous." He said in a teasing tone. "I agree with you. More of us need to come forward with our concerns. There's been enough lives lost thanks to these creatures it is time that the whole weyr gets involved." That seemed to be the apparent and obvious next choice to take, not that he was an expert about these sorts of things.

I agree with you, Pacaran. A plan of action would be nice to have, though I am anxious to get out there and do my part to help protect the weyr. Argow stated with courage. Outright fighting was more of her realm of things. She was a guardian after all.

Darrow moved up closer to Pacaran. "Yes, of course, I can help you unpack." He said and then went about giving her a hand. "After we get him unpacked and these things put away, then we can go see about speaking with Darilex. I know he is a busy man, but at the very least we will be able to get an appointment to talk with him." That wouldn't be the best case scenario, but at least then they'd eventually be getting a chance to speak with him.
Image Image Image Image