Everything But You [Kinali / Naji]

While a similar idea to the dragonrider apartments, the Dayhandler cabins are individual homes that are overall smaller than the apartment buildings, with size assigned by rank and needs, woth all cabins allowing Daywhers to come inside. Day wherlings move into these cabins after bonding.
Gallant

Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:51 am

Harsh thoughts had shuddered against Kinali’s mindset, to even consider the fact that when he had arrived on the doorstep of his brother’s residence, that it would be a perilous excursion. Given the fact that the door had been answered by none other than Inakil’s significant other, a man he admittedly knew little about, the damage against his nerves was troublesome to even bother accounting. Oddly enough, however, despite all of the limited gossip about him or his backgrounds, Naji had been nothing but courteous and supportive of the candidate during his visit. Pleasantries beyond the norm of expectance, at least when one considered the starsmith and his typical state of modesty — perhaps even branching a bit further than necessary.

That was Kinali, however — someone who faced daily challenges with more than a grain of humility, and rather a plentiful supply of unpretentiousness that made him come across to others as weak. Demeaning, to himself at least, and perhaps one of little self-esteem, despite the fact that he did indeed take some pride in his accomplishments. Maybe it was just due to the fact that he’d been raised in an uneven fashion, and was often left to fend for himself and had since been unable to find his place within the world. A precarious predicament, mind you, but without knowing even a fine strand of the tapestry that was his history, the Quartzhandler had extended a friendly bridge with no questions asked.

At first, he had been uncertain of trusting it, as he had many others in the past. Most others, actually, when you considered his guarded nature. Now? There wasn’t a positive thought, or hope, that didn’t cross his mind — realizing that maybe having an opportunity such as this wasn’t the end of the world for his life. If anything, mayhaps it was an in, to reconnect with his brother and now-established family-of-sorts, and if it came with the boon of becoming acquainted with Najiden? There were few to no arguments in the matter weighing against the option.

That’s…unexpected,” he conceded, upon revelation of the fact that his brother had even spoken of him at all. Was it a surprise that it was in a positive light? Not particularly, given Inakil’s often kind and warm-hearted nature, from his experience. But the fact that private details were shared outside of himself, came as a proverbial refreshing gust of air from the sibling he had seen as reclusive or private. Someone he took after in more than one account, despite being a far more independent individual. “You know, when I was under my first apprenticeship my previous master had shared a secret with me. Family is more than just blood, it is who and what you make of it. While I’ve yet to discover that for myself…that may well apply to you. Particularly because you seem rather happy where you are now.” Curtly smiling in a point-blank honesty, he resided in the fact that now it was best for him to release the wall for a while, and just talk without the shielded words.

Tilting his noggin to the side, the candidate chuckled momentarily in response as he listened towards his opposite’s thoughts upon familial relations, and swiftly diving upon the opportunity to make him more at ease. In truth, he’d been more accommodating than even Kinali’s mother had been to him over the years, and there was a grain of truth in speaking that while sad from a light, Naji was also more supportive. Odd, considered he’d only met the fellow, but it added another positive stroke in favour for the guy. “Trust me, you’ve already done more than you know. It’s just my nature to be…well…tense, I suppose, when meeting others in private? If anything, you’ve made me at ease, given my own discomfort with these sorts of things. So…I guess for that you have my thanks in that respect? And your hospitality.

His words had rambled on from the faint degree of nervousness, a wide beam flushing across his face as the wher handler had painted the artistry of the moment he’d met Kinali’s brother. There was something there, almost a peaceful light that he could imagine it happening, and had been only took quick to capture Inakil’s attention. And likely embarrassment. Though he may never know the full details of the encounter, it brought him warm tidings to think that it had happened under such pleasant conditions. “Careful there — I may take you up on that some day,” he passionately thanked amidst his now-fixated smile.

Brief signals of his now somewhat-stabilized mood and presence, the candidate sighed happily, exhaling any remaining doubts that harm would come to him while here. Or his brother, for that matter, of which he considered far more important than his own comfort. “Fleeting words that anyone sane would do well to ignore and learn to form their own opinion. But nothing harsh,” Kinali acknowledged as Naji briefed into his own history. “Can’t say I’ve been around Bitra before, but I’ve heard of your father around the smith hall — my master may have done some work for him, before I came along.” He flushed momentarily, although it wasn’t discernible from embarrassment or unsureness as the holder’s son had shed light upon Weisden, and soon thereafter his profession of love for Inakil. There was little he could say to either, really — nothing he had up to that very moment even came close to comparing in either circumstance.
Parker
Site Admin
Title: High Ebilness
Pronouns: He/Him

Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:28 pm

“You know, when I was under my first apprenticeship my previous master had shared a secret with me. Family is more than just blood, it is who and what you make of it. While I’ve yet to discover that for myself…that may well apply to you. Particularly because you seem rather happy where you are now.”

Naji bit onto his bottom lip as he nodded his head. Eyes were narrowed in serious concentration at Kinali's words. "I like that. I like that a lot, honestly. I don't know who your previous master was, but they sound like a very intelligent individual." He commented with feeling. He came from a large family, a very large family. Half the time he was lucky if he could remember the names of all his nieces and nephews. "I come from a large family, but I can't say that I feel very much like they are one. My family now is Inakil, Dolly, and Weisden. I'd love to put your name on that very short list." He told the younger man truthfully. "I am very happy where I am now. Granted, it wouldn't take much to be happier from where I was back in Bitra."

“Trust me, you’ve already done more than you know. It’s just my nature to be…well…tense, I suppose, when meeting others in private? If anything, you’ve made me at ease, given my own discomfort with these sorts of things. So…I guess for that you have my thanks in that respect? And your hospitality.”

He nodded before he took another sip of his wine. The laced drink was slowly beginning to have an effect on him, more than before, but it still wasn't very noticeable. Naji though was feeling very relaxed and very very happy. "No need to explain, man. I get it. Whatever I can do to put you at ease is my pleasure. I know what it's like to feel tense in a conversation." As a Lord's son he had been expected to speak to all sorts of people. Not just speak though, speak properly, correctly, and cordially. If he messed up in any sort of way his father let him know later, generally through the use of a belt or switch. His sons had to be perfect....in everything...even menial conversation. This was part of the reason Naji was so laid back. He hated having to be formal because of the memories it brought him.

“Careful there — I may take you up on that some day,”

"I wouldn't offer if I wasn't serious." Naji retorted back with a chuckle. He was always happy to share his love of literature with others and who better than the brother of his boyfriend.

“Fleeting words that anyone sane would do well to ignore and learn to form their own opinion. But nothing harsh. Can’t say I’ve been around Bitra before, but I’ve heard of your father around the smith hall — my master may have done some work for him, before I came along.”

"That is rumors for you. I rarely pay attention to them, though admittedly, some of them are fun to listen to." Shards, the things people could come up with.... a lot of them was more wild than some of the stories he enjoyed reading. "You're not missing anything. Bitra is not a pleasant place, though my view is obviously biased against it. I'm sure my father would be happy to know he is heard of, though I feel for you master if he had to work for that sorry excuse of a human." The disdain with which he spoke of his father was not hidden. Naji had long since stopped hiding how he really felt about his Lord Holder father from anyone. The man was a monster, in his opinion, and the more people knew the truth of that the better.
Image Image Image Image Image
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Candidate Carver | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

.::..::..::..::..::..
PC Character Tracker | Marks Tracker | NPC Stash
Gallant

Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:12 pm

Silent concurrence filled the air within Inakil’s domain, a respect that Kinali had not expected found. One for Najiden, and the open-mindedness that his brother’s significant other brought forth. It wasn’t at all like the rumors, of which he only placed an inkling of faith in. Faith that had all but dissipated, and was replaced with a conviction, or at least hope to bind his family together again. It wasn’t his duty, or bearing, the candidate knew, but who was he to turn down the offer or prospect of forging new bonds. Ones that while not replacing the old ones, simply strengthened them and heralded the idea of him actually having a place again within the world.

He waited there, in quieted, for Najiden to finish speaking of his family, and what he now believed was his ‘true’ family, based upon the wisdom that the smith master had imparted, and was now shared. Of course, there was the realization that such words weren’t even necessary to achieve that, and likely happened some time ago. But it didn’t do anything to shake his foundation that the holder shared those beliefs. “I’d like to think that myself. Stern as he might have been, he was modest, and far more understanding than most give him credit for.” A gentle, yet accepting smile had been offered in combination of a supportive nod. “I’m not sure where my place is any longer, admittedly. But…I’d like that. It would bring me peace, and I’m sure that wouldn’t stop there, if I can do anything to help you or Inakil feel more…connected? United? Bound?” He was rambling. “Like a completed family, if that means anything.”

Eyes slithered comfortingly, still at peace from his previously tense arrival. Perhaps meeting someone new, and more importantly someone indirectly connected to him wasn’t such a bad event. If anything, it opened a new door and shed light into what had been a rather dull and lonely path. It wasn’t perfect, nor would it bring him complete closure, but it was the closest thing he had at the moment. And by comparison, Kinali had a surge of joy to feel that he wasn’t going to be rejected and forgotten. Not from what he had witnessed thus far, at least.

Grinning widely, his first jovial laugh between the two slipped out, indicating that he was finally at a level of comfort that barred any further tension between the two. It didn’t matter how long it lasted, but simply displayed a level of trust on Kinali’s half, coming from someone who was typically meek and skeptic of others. “Literature and a family meeting of sorts, all in one evening. An oddly fitting combination, and one that won’t slip from memory for me,” he warmly accepted, finally discovering a meander towards an unfortunate yet sympathetic sigh.

Can’t win everywhere, I guess. If there’s anything I’ve learned over the years in abundance, it’s that. But…based on your description you’re nothing like him, from what little I can see. If my brother chose you, that’s all the proof I need to feel enough comfort to trust that some things like that aren’t passed down. Everyone is what they make of themselves.
Parker
Site Admin

Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:08 pm

“I’m not sure where my place is any longer, admittedly. But…I’d like that. It would bring me peace, and I’m sure that wouldn’t stop there, if I can do anything to help you or Inakil feel more…connected? United? Bound?”

Naji could relate to not knowing where your place in life was. He'd lived that way for pretty much all of his life except for the last few turns that he was here in New Atricis. There was one thing he could be grateful to his father for, and still he could only begrudgingly be grateful, but had it not been for Naarkaden sending him south he might have never come down here. Then he would have never met Inakil, never would have bonded to Weisden, never would have been happy. "Thanks man. I'm beginning to understand that family is important...but you get to chose who your true family is." Naji couldn't say he minded the thought of seeing Kinali like his own brother. For a brief moment the thought of brother-in-law entered his mind, but he quickly shoved that away and buried it deep.

“Literature and a family meeting of sorts, all in one evening. An oddly fitting combination, and one that won’t slip from memory for me,”

Naji joined in the jovial laugh. While there hadn't been a point where he was tense since Kinali's visit, he felt better now that it seemed that Kinali seemed completely at ease around him. "I should hope not. We shall have to have more memories like this." He took another sip of his wine. "One thing Inakil and I like to do is read the same book and then discuss it...or read it together and talk about it. If you ever want in on something like that, let us know. It's fun hearing what other people think of a story."

"I never want to be anything like him, so thank you." Naji said, the displeasure of talking about his father still evident. He took a long gulp of his wine to calm himself. "Forgive me. My father is a sore subject for me. It took me a long time to understand what you so easily stated. We are what we make of ourselves." He didn't mean to bring Kinali, a new friend, down the lane that was his bad experiences due in thanks to his father. A part of him knew that he should let go of his father, forget him and all the wrong doings, but that was hard.
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Candidate Carver | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

Gallant

Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:32 pm

There was but a rhetoric silence peacefully coexisting between the two for a moment, as Kinali processed all of the information that had been imparted to him by his newfound acquaintance, slash quasi-family member. While he wasn’t quite certain where he or Najiden would end up in terms of relations, there was little doubt in his mind that it would be positive if it continued on this trend — particularly given the mellow, and oft soothing nature. “Family is truthfully the one thing I can always look back and see, when all else fails — that’s what you keep going for.” He grimaced momentarily upon mention of the fatherly figure, and lack of comfort with the present situation, at least upon blood relations.

Seems we have more in common than one could realize at first glance,” the candidate spoke briefly, wincing for a second from the thought. Neither of his biological parents had been particularly close to him, but his father was most certainly a touchy subject. But… at least he had his brother. It was a hell of a lot better than having nothing at all, little as it was for the moment. Still though, at least there was hope to grow and rejuvenate that bond…whereas with the other man was effectively null in his own mind.

Professionally he could forgive him. Personally…not so much. But what had been done in the past was done, and there was no changing that. Little point in dwelling upon it, or any negativity. Releasing an unassuming sigh, he finished the last of the water that had been gifted to him. “You know, kind of funny, looking back, now. I came south,” the starsmith began, “Hoping to start a new life. Not quite what I imagined, but, I’d like to think it’s for the better. By a significant margin, I might add.” His previously narrow and unassertive visage formed a smile, if only briefly. “I know it may be a bit much to ask, especially on first meeting, but any hopes for your future? Distant or not? Things you would like to see, or accomplish.

Eyes moved about the room, scanning for the day wher. It was hard not to appreciate the spectacle of the creature, unique from anything he’d personally witnessed, even with the vague rumors of the quartz in the work yard. “I imagine between your bondmate, and my brother things may be on the up for you. Or you certainly seem to have most everything in order,” he further attempted to reinforce his point that there were plenty of places to go, and explore once finding your ground.
Parker
Site Admin

Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:53 pm

“Family is truthfully the one thing I can always look back and see, when all else fails — that’s what you keep going for.”

Naji nodded as he took another drink of his wine. "Yes, I beginning to understand that with the family I have here in New Atricis. Back home...I only really cared for my little sister and closest brother. He's actually here now. He managed to go and get himself impressed at the hatching in Walled. Pewterrider now. Name's J'in. Him and I get along, but we've drifted apart through the turns. I'd like to try and work on that some now that we're both here away from Bitra." His sister did come into his mind more often than he admitted to, but unlike him and his brothers their father didn't mistreat his daughters. Granted he didn't mistreat them because he didn't want to take away from what he called their 'marital value', but at least her life wasn't like his had been. Thinking about how much Naarkaden thought of them as things instead of people made his stomach churn. He was glad he had some joy plant flowing in his veins...helped to keep him calm.

“Seems we have more in common than one could realize at first glance,”

"Yeah? That certainly ain't a bad thing, now is it?" Naji said with a small playful grin. While he couldn't say he was a good judge of character (mainly because for so many turns he didn't give a shit about people's character since his own wasn't exactly spotless), he rather liked Kinali already and had a feeling that if this was how most of their meetings were going to go then he wasn't worried at all about getting along with Inakil's brother. "I may not look it, but I'm not a terrible listener. You ever need an ear you know where to find two of them....four as I'm sure Inakil would tell you the same."

“You know, kind of funny, looking back, now. I came south. Hoping to start a new life. Not quite what I imagined, but, I’d like to think it’s for the better. By a significant margin, I might add."

Naji nodded as he got up to get himself a bit more wine. He poured the white fluid into his glass before grabbing his pitcher of water and refilled Kinali's to be polite. "I know what you mean. I came south for one reason and ended up shaking off that reason and pretty much everything I wanted to leave behind in Bitra. I don't think anyone is ever capable of really knowing how life will change when you attempt to change it. I'm glad yours has changed for the better since coming him." Naji stated as he raised his glass in silent toast before sipping the sweet liquid.

"I know it may be a bit much to ask, especially on first meeting, but any hopes for your future? Distant or not? Things you would like to see, or accomplish.”

Naji couldn't help but laugh as he leaned back in his seat, one hand still held up as he held his wine glass. "Is that your extremely polite way of asking what my intentions are for your brother?" Perhaps it was a lame joke, but he couldn't resist teasing Kinali. He laughed a little more before truly answering. "No, really it's fine...not a bit much at all. If I can be totally honest...I've never really been the ambitious sort, so I can't say that I have any dreams of grandeur of like....becoming the Dayhandler Leader one day. Right now my plan is rather simple." He put down his wine glass so he could tick off points on his fingers. "Firstly, love Inakil to the fullest and try to make everyday happy for him. Take care of Weisden and make sure he's healthy and happy. Continue to do my duty as a guard and helps New Atricis to prosper. What about you? Got any grand plans you're hoping to see happen? Other than bonding, of course."
Image Image Image Image

Gallant

Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:00 pm

Contently nodding amongst a wondered smile, Kinali nodded in part to his brother’s other half, considering the offer that had been placed on the table. The two weren’t close — not yet at least, but at least the uneasy waters had been passed thus far and he no longer resorted to immediate hesitation or his own feeling of contempt upon himself in regards to Najiden. The man had quite literally replaced him, in his eyes, at least from a cursory glance, but from what he was witnessing thus far it couldn’t possibly be all that bad. Further pondering upon the matter brought reason into his mind, remembering just how large Inakil’s heart was — perhaps not physically, but metaphorically. His sibling held an extraordinary ability to care for others, which only further complimented his soft-spoken nature. While the two family members were alike, there had never been any doubt in his mind that Inakil had been the more reasonable of the two.

Taking Naji’s words to thought upon their mentions of family, he could only nod in solace, confirming his feelings upon the matter that still happened to be a tender subject. One that would likely remain so for some time to come, but at least he knew there was now someone to speak with it about in the future, if the offer remained. He’d only just met the quartz handler, after all, and while there was no longer an immense feeling of suspiciousness the bond of trust had not yet been built or solidified. Simply laid, like an uneven foundation — one of high quality and respect, but one’s words could only carry them so far in Kinali’s perspective. It was your actions that determined who you were, and what kind of person it made you. If you were someone of substance and backed up your claims or promises, or…the opposite. That would be unfortunate. He preferred not to think along that avenue, particularly because the contents involved were attached to the sole aspect keeping him going in this world.

He released a half-whimsical, and observantly nervous smile which displayed that he was considering quite a great deal within his mindset, and was while most certainly listening, now had far more to think over. Almost as if overwhelmed by the meeting. Not all bad mind you — that much he had made abundantly clear through his words, but the foundation of his world had quite literally been shaken, as if the silhouettes of what he feared had since coalesced into reality. His brother was indeed moving on in his life, which made less time for him, and who knew where that would lead him or where he would end up.

Not bad at all,” he concurred quietly, returning the teasing beam. “Just a bit to think on, sorry. A lot to process now that I can witness first hand how different everything is up close. But, as far as I can see…all for the better.” The candidate kept his tone as positive as plausible, considering his mindset, and his words were mostly sincere — even if he wasn’t certain upon the future. He was happy for Naji to find someone, such an event always brought him joy for anyone. Even moreso that his brother had someone to dedicate themselves to him. “That means quite a great deal. Thank you…” Kinali paused, looking up from his drained cup, having finished the contents of water. Considering it for a moment, he smiled more contently. “I’ll definitely think upon that offer in the near future.

Just as he finished, the ever-polite host had quietly and thoughtfully filled his beverage once more. For as unstable as he’d been coming in, Najiden wasn’t as ‘bad’ as his mind had wrought him up to be. The man certainly at least had matters, which counted for something, and as far as he could see upon the surface wasn’t cruel. “Up north for me seemed…I don’t know. Confined? Like I was locked into some pre-determined path. Here in the south everything seems much less…suffocating. And there’s the considerable added bonus of being in proximity of my brother, and now you,” he amusingly commented upon, finally earning Naji’s efforts a warm, albeit momentary laugh upon the matter. Bygones were bygones, for today.

The comicality, albeit friendly nature of it, returned as Naji suggested his own future. “Actually no, but I’m definitely going to not turn down your thoughts upon the matter if you’re willing to share,” he beamed teasingly. The coming response had not been at all what he’d expected, and far more in detail than a light-hearted nature of a subject as he’d suggested. Perhaps it hadn’t been a ‘first meeting’ type of question at all, but for his credit the host answered it. And from what he could see truthfully. “Definitely not what I had anticipated, when I asked, but…wow. You realize saying that now, I may have to hold you to it?” he faux-suggested, a notable sense of not-quite-impending-doom-serious tone in his voice, but rather a playful one.

Hmm. Haven’t quite gotten there. Master my craft, eventually is on the list. Settle down somewhere, somehow. But I haven’t discovered much beyond that. Still trying to find myself, to be honest…” Kinali whole-heartedly admitted, in a flush of embarrassment. “I’ll let you know when I get there.” He looked to the windows, briefly, noting the sunset outside. “I don’t want to make this seem abrupt, as I’ve greatly enjoyed talking with you, but…I shouldn’t invade too long. Even if it is my brother’s residence, and I’m grateful for you admitting me in, you two deserve some private time.
Parker
Site Admin

Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:59 pm

“Not bad at all. Just a bit to think on, sorry. A lot to process now that I can witness first hand how different everything is up close. But, as far as I can see…all for the better.”

Naji waved off his apology. Really, he hoped to eventually see Kinali like his own brother, so the man needed to learn to not apologize for everything so often. He wasn't the sort to be easily offended anyways. Well, unless it was his father or anyone picking on Inakil. Then their very existence offended him. "I will take that as another compliment. Really, process all you want. Just remember...I'm likely not how people have spoke about me, but..." He wasn't dumb, he realized he had a reputation and that that reputation could have easily gotten to Kinali. "That doesn't mean I don't have my faults. Everyone has their faults. Makes us human...and beautiful, if you ask me."

"I think you hit the proverbial nail on the head. The North is very constricted and hide bound. Perhaps some of the weyrs aren't as bad as the holds, but Bitra might as well have been a dungeon for me. New Atricis is very liberating and feels like.." He had to figure out how he wanted to word what he felt. "Well, it feels like how life should be. I hope that makes sense." Naji knew he had found himself, his true self, once he had moved down here. He couldn't ever imagine living anywhere else. Well, he could but only if that was because Inakil had decided he wanted to move some place else. That was likely not going to happen anytime soon.

A small blush covered his cheeks as Kinali teased him back. A long-fingered hand ran through already messy hair. "Well, I'd say my intentions are pure....even if I prefer to be very, very naughty with your brother." His tone was extremely suggestive, but Naji didn't often censor himself, not even with people he'd just met. "I mean...I'd like to see us become more than boyfriends, but there's also no rush as I doubt either of us plan on leaving the other any time soon." Naji couldn't say if he meant weyrmating or marriage, but what he said was truthful. A hardy laugh was given before he stated, "Fair enough. You may hold me to it."

"It's a never ending process, I feel like. Don't worry, you're a smart man, I'm sure you're future is full of nothing but happiness and achievement." Naji complimented. Brown eyes looked out the window and was shocked at how low the sun had gotten. "Damn, where did the time go?" He asked as he stood up to see Kinali out. "Please, any time you want to invade us do so. I've greatly enjoyed speaking with you as well and I look forward to spending time with you and Inakil. Until then, don't be a stranger and don't work too hard." Another shake of his hand was given before Kinali left. Naji was anxious for his lover to get home then so he could tell him what a delightful person his brother was.

{fin}
Image Image Image Image