Pleasure to Meet You (Tag: Parker/Naji)

While a similar idea to the dragonrider apartments, the Dayhandler cabins are individual homes that are overall smaller than the apartment buildings, with size assigned by rank and needs, woth all cabins allowing Daywhers to come inside. Day wherlings move into these cabins after bonding.
Altreis

Fri May 27, 2016 3:22 pm

Polite and formal? They were two different things? Keetin listened closely, trying to understand. What was the difference between the two? Didn't they go hand-in-hand? The analogy seemed...well clear in one way but not in another. Keetin could definitely see why running everywhere, even to save precious seconds, was a bad idea and could exhaust a person. But how did formality do that? Arg maybe if he really could figure out the difference it would make sense. He couldn't though. Maybe Naji would help him? Keetin gave the man a sheepish, puzzled look. "I'm sorry but...I'm trying, really, I promise, I just can't figure it out. How are the two different? Don't you have to be formal with someone to be polite? How can informal be polite?" He would understand of course if Naji didn't want to try explaining but so far the lordling turned dayhandler had been very nice to him. Was this going too far though? He really hoped not.

Naji's reaction to his explanation was encouraging-a relief even. Keetin only smiled and shook his head at the words a little. "Not everyone would want it, even I know that. You're free to think and feel as you do but it's really nice of you to accept my dream for what it is. Others aren't quite so, well, accepting." That he had gotten Naji to see his point pleased him and Keetin would say no more on the matter. He wasn't on the offensive or defensive with Naji, only elaborating on his goals. He did not care if Naji personally wouldn't want such a position either; as long as the man respected Keetin's desires they were good as far as he was concerned. If anything he appreciated the honesty, that little bit of himself that Naji chose to share.

Instead Keetin went on to talk about how he wasn't settling. If another color of dragon Impressed to him, then and only then would he give up his dream of a gold. Until that happened he would keep aiming to be the first ever male goldrider Pern had seen. Nothing dared was nothing gained, no progress, no new discoveries, and Keetin refused to let that happen. Would it be a lot of work? Absolutely; it already had been and was. Would a lot of pressure be on him? Yes but Keetin was determined to withstand it. He would rise to this challenge and tackle it successfully. All he needed was for his gold to hatch and Impress to him.

The silence after his little speech was a different kind of pressure; one Keetin began to feel. Maybe it really was strange. Why else was Naji so quiet? There was little to be gleaned from the expression on his face and his voice remained silent as seconds became minutes. Keetin had to fight to keep from fidgeting or insisting on an answer. Even if it was strange he would not be deterred but at last he wanted to hear it said! This waiting was going to drive him crazy if it didn't end soon. Yet when Naji finally did something he was still frustratingly silent. Keetin could only watch, puzzled and nervous, as Naji got a glass and set it before him-and actually poured a little alcohol in it. He wasn't supposed to drink; wasn't even old enough. Naji had to know that. Sure it was just a tiny bit but it still was against the rules. What kind of future goldrider would willingly break the rules?

Then Naji finally spoke and Keetin couldn't help staring at him in surprise for a moment. Naji didn't think him strange at all...he was even toasting him! He'd even called him a young man instead of a boy. And rules aside wouldn't it be highly rude of him to not join in? He even wanted to, hearing the toast. Keetin couldn't help the pride and gratitude that swelled in his heart at it. "To following your own path," he added, raising his glass along with Naji. In a way it was a similar toast but one that included the quartzhandler as well, for hadn't he followed his own path? He was born a Lordling but was now a dayhandler-and to a new color of day wher no less! Keetin wanted to honor him as well and hoped that maybe, just maybe, he had found a new friend. He hesitated at actually drinking the alcohol but again he really didn't want to be rude. This was a toast; surely it was a bit of an exception to the normal rules? It wasn't a lot of alcohol and he wasn't planning on having more. So just this once couldn't hurt, right?

Oh but it could and Keetin found out the hard way. Never before had he tried alcohol and he couldn't say he was keen to after this. The taste was nothing like what he was used to and the burn of the liquid as it hit his throat made him choke and cough. "S-sor-ry," he managed to gasp out when the attack subsided a bit, blushing in embarrassment. He'd just ruined a very kind gesture...ugh!
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Parker
Site Admin
Title: High Ebilness
Pronouns: He/Him

Mon May 30, 2016 10:40 pm

"I'm sorry but...I'm trying, really, I promise, I just can't figure it out. How are the two different? Don't you have to be formal with someone to be polite? How can informal be polite?"

Naji gave a small chuckle, not to make fun of him, but because in that moment he reminded him of his young sister when she was that age and asked him about something she didn't understand. He missed the young girl, but knew that she would be fine back home. She had better chances at a happy life than what he had had back in Bitra. "You don't have to be formal to be polite, no. Would you consider that I am being rude to you right now?" He asked and waited a moment for his answer. "I'm not being rude, but yet I'm not being formal either. I'm cursing on occasion, my attire is most certainly informal, my hair is a mess, I'm drinking and I'm smoking in front of you...all of that is highly informal. Now if I were being rude and informal, I would be making fun of you or saying snide remarks, etc...Do you see the difference?" He asked, hoping that clarification helped. While there was a line where informal could be considered rude, it wasn't the same thing.

"Not everyone would want it, even I know that. You're free to think and feel as you do but it's really nice of you to accept my dream for what it is. Others aren't quite so, well, accepting."

A deep inhale was taken before he blew the smoke out in a huff. "Yeah well, fuck 'em. It doesn't matter what they think, what I think, what anyone thinks. If you want to dream big, then do it and don't let others get in the way." Naji stated easily and with a bit of bitterness. There was a point in his life when he was younger that he had had his own dream. He didn't remember what it had been now, but he remembered he had allowed his father to dash that dream on the rocks. It had made him hate his father even more, but being in New Atricis had helped him to realize that some dreams could come true. He now had Weisden and Inakil and honestly he couldn't imagine being happier.

Naji was curious if the straight-laced boy would even take the tiny bit of alcohol. Honestly, it wasn't enough for even a toddler to feel the effects, but it was the symbolism of the drink that mattered. For such a serious toast as to following their own paths they needed something stronger than just fruit juice. He, of course, had poured himself quite a bit more than he had Keetin, but he was allowed alcohol and enjoyed it immensely. His multi-tone brown eyes watched the young man as he downed the bit of whisky after he downed his own. Shards, it was such a good bottle of whisky, but apparently even the tiny bit he'd given Keetin was enough to make him cough and gag a bit.

"S-sor-ry,"

The corner of his eyes crinkled with amusement as he reached over and gave the young man a few pats on the back. "No no, don't be sorry. Whisky is quite a potent. I had much the same reaction when I tried it for the first time." Naji assured him. However, he hadn't stopped with just one sip when he first started drinking. He'd gone far enough to be black-out drunk and not remember what had happened. That had been the top of the slippery slope he'd gone down.
Image Image Image Image Image
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Candidate Carver | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

.::..::..::..::..::..
PC Character Tracker | Marks Tracker | NPC Stash
Altreis

Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:30 pm

Throughout Naji's explanation Keetin was attentive if thoughtful. In some ways he did understand but in others he was still a little puzzled. Yes the lack of snide remarks and the fact he wasn't being picked on were marks of politeness but the rest... Keetin shook his head slightly. "I didn't really think of it that way...I just thought...I mean..." He trailed off and gestured to the apartment around them. "You know, you were making yourself comfortable in your own home. That's how it should be right? And your attire well...that should be excusable considering what happened and the fact you really did not have much time to clean up from it. You made your best effort and it's hardly your fault someone else didn't watch where they were directing their runner."

Naji's answer to the fact not everyone was as accepting of his dream had Keetin looking at him curiously. There was something there, something to the bitterness. What reason could the dayhandler have for feeling that way? But it was none of his business so aside from the look Keetin did not react, did not ask. Instead he smiled and shook his head. "I never have and I'm hardly about to start now," he said simply. "I told you: more often than not people disagree with me. Some think I am crazy, others think I'm a fool. Never once have they managed to turn me away from my goal though. Until I age out or bond to a different color I will keep shooting for gold." That was that.

And then he had to go ruin it all by choking on the toast-a toast for him no less! Keetin was beginning to think it should be a rule that kids were introduced to alcohol when they turned ten-nothing excessive but enough they didn't choke if they participated in a toast. The adults would probably just say they should use something that wasn't alcohol but in a situation like this...the experience would have been handy. Instead of being cool and toasting with Naji he was now choking, face as much red from the actual choking as his humiliation for doing so.

At least Naji was cool with it, patting his back and reassuring him. Keetin still grimaced once he had managed to stop choking. "I guez it iz but I juzd ruind the toast. Hrow can I not be sorry for that?" His voice was a little rough at first but as his throat recovered it began to smooth out. Looking quite annoyed with himself Keetin closed his mouth and tried clearing his throat. "I hope next time I don't choke," he muttered, one hand rubbing his throat while he thought about how to bounce back from this.
Parker
Site Admin

Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:04 pm

Naji couldn't help but laugh as Keetin tried to explain away his lack of formality. "Other than the fact I would have combed my hair if I'd the chance, I can't say that I would have dressed or presented myself any differently, to be perfectly honest. No, I didn't do my best effort, for even if I hadn't been almost run over by some asshole, I wouldn't have dressed any better than this. Sorry man, I'm just not all that formal" Naji said with a shrug of his shoulders as he took another long drag from his smoke.

He noticed the curious look, no doubt caused by his bitter tone. He was glad that Keetin didn't question him about it, instead went on to assure him that he wasn't going to let others sway him away from his dream. Naji didn't want to explain why he was bitter as it would delve into information about his past that no one really knew about, besides Inakil. If he had it his way, his boyfriend would be the only one to ever know about his past and how...depressing it had been. Keetin didn't need to know about the nitty gritty of his past...no one did.

"I guez it iz but I juzd ruind the toast. Hrow can I not be sorry for that?"

Naji shook his head emphatically. "The only way to ruin a toast is by not toasting with it, which you did...therefore it wasn't ruined. Besides, I'm a sucker for a strong alcohol. I'd have been shocked if you hadn't reacted in such a way." He took himself another drink of the strong liquid, savoring the warmth as it went down his throat. "Once you're not a candidate any longer, you'll be able to develop a taste and tolerance to alcohol. If you want to, of course. I do suggest trying different wines, those can be quite delicious." Naji suggested.
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Candidate Carver | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

Altreis

Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:04 pm

If he believed what Naji was saying, the dayhandler would not have looked or acted any differently whether or not he had been nearly run over by a runner. As he didn't know Naji that well Keetin had to accept his words as truth, which brought more questions to his mind. What would he have thought if he came over and found Naji in such a state without the, ah, explanation of the near-miss? Would he mind the smoke, the clothes, the drinks? Naji hadn't acted at all offensively and even asked before smoking. Formal no, but rude...also no. Maybe that was the way formal and polite differed...

Truthfully Keetin might even call him kind, the way Naji reassured him he hadn't ruined the toast by choking (literally). A tentative smile met his words. "Well...to me it seemed rude not to even if the rules say I shouldn't have so much as a drop of the stuff. One toast isn't so bad, I hope. Not like one sip will get me drunk and I won't drink anymore." Perhaps there was a little nervousness in him when he spoke of the rules but Keetin was still not completely sure if the choice he made was the right one. He tried to reassure himself that while he would accept a toast he was not going out of his way to drink and would never take more than that required sip before he was a full rider. He had no interest in breaking the rules or hurting his dragon once he Impressed but also did not want to be so rude as to turn down a toast. At least he was pretty sure he would never get tipsy from one sip no matter how strong the stuff he toasted with was.

Naji continued and Keetin frowned thoughtfully. Develop a taste and tolerance? On one hand he wasn't so sure he wanted to but on the other it would help with toasts... However if he took that route he would have to be careful. Even once he was graduated from weyrlinghood he did not want to run the risk of getting drunk and making a spectacle of himself just to build up a taste and tolerance for toasts. Some goldrider he'd be then! "Thanks for the advice Naji; I'll keep that in mind. That's...going to be some time still. I need to Impress first and then go through weyrlinghood for a turn. After that though I think I would like to at least get to the point where I don't choke whenever I toast."

Suddenly Keetin tensed. "Oh..." he began, trailing off. "I...I must apologize I've, uh, taken up a lot of your time when you must want to relax for the evening, especially after that incident with the runner. I really should get back to the barracks as well; curfew is coming. Perhaps we could speak again another time if you wish?"
Parker
Site Admin

Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:06 pm

"Well...to me it seemed rude not to even if the rules say I shouldn't have so much as a drop of the stuff. One toast isn't so bad, I hope. Not like one sip will get me drunk and I won't drink anymore."

Naji gave him a soft look. It was obvious the lad wasn't sure if taking the toast was the right choice, despite breaking the rules. Or if he should have declined because it was breaking the rules. "It'd be so much easier if morality was black and white, wouldn't it? There'd be no guessing if this way is right, or this way is wrong." He took another long sip of his drink. "I've learned...and you by no means have to agree with me...that right and wrong is relative." He certainly didn't expect Keetin to follow his view or really even understand it, but that was how he felt.

"..After that though I think I would like to at least get to the point where I don't choke whenever I toast."

He couldn't help but be a little amused at how Keetin seemed so disinterested in alcohol. When he'd been his age...well, he wasn't a good example for anything. Yes, he understood lack of interest now since it wasn't allowed. "Well you're welcome. If you ever do develop an appreciate for spirits and liquors, let me know. It's always nice to drink with others that enjoy it."

"I...I must apologize I've, uh, taken up a lot of your time when you must want to relax for the evening, especially after that incident with the runner. I really should get back to the barracks as well; curfew is coming. Perhaps we could speak again another time if you wish?"

Naji laughed. "No no, it's alright. I would think it's obvious I'm not at all tense at the moment." The drink in front of him, his attire, the lazy way he held his smoke in his fingers were all obvious signs that he was relaxed. "But, no...I don't want you getting in trouble all just for talking to me." Naji stood to his feet to politely see the young man out. "Sure if you like. You know where to find me or I can meet you some place." He agreed as he opened his door for him. After a few more polite good nights, Naji shut the door and prepared to enjoy the rest of his evening.

{fin}
Image Image Image Image