Pleasure to Meet You (Tag: Parker/Naji)

While a similar idea to the dragonrider apartments, the Dayhandler cabins are individual homes that are overall smaller than the apartment buildings, with size assigned by rank and needs, woth all cabins allowing Daywhers to come inside. Day wherlings move into these cabins after bonding.
Altreis

Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:34 pm

A tiny stranger popped into what was currently an empty dayhandler apartment. The owner was out, as was his day wher, but they would come back eventually. In fact that was what the tiny stranger was counting on as she scanned the rooms. She kept in contact with the one who had sent her, feeding images of the place and wanting to know where she was to set her delivery.

On the other end of their connection was an ambitious boy, only just old enough to be a candidate, pondering the various options. The main living area was a decent bet, but what if the the dayhandler came home exhausted from doing dayling stuff and pretty much went straight to bed? The bed was a guaranteed spot but also rather rude in the boy's estimation. Who wanted to be finding notes when they were about to turn in for the night? Not to mention that the bedroom was the most private room! This message could be delivered without a gross invasion of privacy.

The necessary was out of the question for similar reasons. Maybe the day wher's bed? Except he might stay out in the pavilion. Bother, bother, everything that wasn't hit or miss happened to be off-limits. Then again was there really such a rush that waiting a few days for it to be found would be so bad? Technically this wasn't strictly necessary and the status of the message could be checked once a day until an answer was given.

With instructions given the tiny stranger fluttered down to the table in front of the couch, dropped the message she'd been carrying, carefully stepped away so that her claws wouldn't scratch anything and her takeoff wouldn't blow the message away, then left. A quick jump, a few flaps, and she was away between back to her bonded. The message however remained, and when open would read thusly:

Lordling and Dayling Najden,

As part of an ongoing effort to better acquaint myself with the Weyr I call home I would like an audience with you, at your convenience of course. This request has been left where you can find it easily and answer in your own time, as there is no hurry. I wanted the least possible disruption to your schedule. With that hopefully accomplished I ask that you please add your answer to the end of this message and place it back where you found it, flipped over. A helper of mine will be checking in when you're not there (so that she's not disturbing you) and once the reply has been made will bring it back to me. In your answer, if yes, please give me an idea as to when and where you would like to meet.

Thank you for your time,
Keetin - Dragon Candidate
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Parker
Site Admin
Title: High Ebilness
Pronouns: He/Him

Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:43 pm

Najden and Weisden returned home to their cozy cabin after a long day of lessons and chores. They were both sore and tired and looking forward to a relaxing evening. They had plans to go join Inakil and Dolly for the evening meal and because they simply enjoyed being in their company. Naji still felt a, well he'd call it a high, for the new relationship he was enjoying with the rosehandler. He still couldn't believe that he was once so against committed relationships. Had he really been that swallow? Perhaps it was only because it was Inakil he was dating that changed his mind about relationships.

"We won't linger here long, Weis. Just want to clean up a bit before dinner." Naji explained as he immediately headed towards his bathing chamber, stripping clothing as he went. Helix, Dottie, Splotch, and Fawnie all followed after him as they loved to play in the water as well. Weisden knew he'd have time for a short nap while Naji cleaned, so he curled up on his couch and quickly fell asleep. While Naji was more use to manual labor now and getting dirty, that didn't mean that he didn't enjoy getting as clean as possible afterwards. He took his time in the warm water and made sure he scrubbed every bit of him, even under his fingernails. Almost a candlemark had passed before he got out and dried off. A new outfit was thrown on in his bedroom before he moved back to the living area and sat on his couch.

His attention was quickly caught by the slip of paper he knew hadn't been there before, so he picked it up and read it. While it was a bit surprising that a dragon candidate of all people wanted to speak with him, Naji had the inkling that it was because he was a Lordling and perhaps a little because he was a handler of a rare color. Well, he had no reason not to grant this candidate's request, besides it'd help him polish up his noble skills a bit...maybe. If he really cared enough to do just that.

Dear Candidate Keetin,

It would be my honor to make your acquaintance. I shall be free tomorrow in the evening, let's say after the dinner hour. We can use my cabin to meet at since you already know where I live. I suppose I shall see you tomorrow here at my cabin after dinner.

Sincerely,
Quartzhandler Najden

With his response given, Naji put on his shoes, woke up Weisden, and then proceeded to head to Inakil's place. He hoped that the candidate would get his answer shortly.
Image Image Image Image Image
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Car'vis and Corentivis | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

.::..::..::..::..::..
PC Character Tracker | Marks Tracker | NPC Stash
Altreis

Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:41 pm

As luck would have it, the messenger was nearby when Najden and Weisden left. Not spying on them exactly but she'd gone to check for an answer earlier and immediately left upon noticing the day wher. She was not to be there when they were home, not to disturb them. Even when she was there she did not rifle through their things or anything like that. As much as her actions could be taken as spying, they only went so far as to ensure she did not disturb them as per her directions.

Once safely away from the occupied apartment she'd settled in to clean herself up. That she was in a good lookout spot to see the pair was...pretty much coincidence. When she'd popped in and seen that they were home she popped just outside and then flew straight to this spot. Between finding out now was a bad time to check and the subsequent need to leave, she had been in a bit of a rush. This just happened to be a good spot to settle and clean while waiting until later. If she contacted Keetin he'd have told her there would be no later. It would be dark and Najden was sure to be home, alone or with company. Either way, she couldn't visit. But she neglected that as well in her haste and so was finishing up her own bath when the pair passed her. Immediately her head shot up, watching them walk away. Aha, she could check now! With a happy trill she jumped into the air and went between, coming out over where the letter should be.

Yes, there it was-and flipped over! That meant she was to take it back! Humming happily to herself she snatched the letter up and quickly blinked out again, going to Keetin. Her boy was surprised to see her with the letter at such a late hour and opened it right away, checking to make sure there was a reply. There was! A different hand than his had written a short reply on the end-

Keetin swallowed, flushing, as he read it. Shells...now that he thought of it by trying to make sure he didn't get in the Lordling's way he had inadvertently been practically spying on him, Venna having pretty much invaded his home. It had seemed a good idea at the time but...argh. He definitely would be meeting Najden tomorrow evening and the first thing on the agenda: apologizing. This was not what he'd wanted...of all the dimglow mistakes to make!

~Time Skip~

After dinner Keetin took a good candlemark to wash up and change into nicer clothes. Not that what he wore was so awful but after doing candidate lessons and chores all day the clothes were wrinkled and dirty. That would never do, not when meeting a Lordling. He made sure he was sharp before going to the quartzhandler's apartment. Venna was bathed and oiled as well, accompanying him to help explain. She was his helper after all. Keetin knocked on the door carefully, making sure he was loud enough to easily be heard without full-on banging on the door and disturbing the peace. Then he waited, refusing to just barge in. He would show Najden that he was making every effort to be polite and that he regretted his earlier mistake.
Parker
Site Admin

Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:43 pm

Shouldn't you put some clothes on or something soon? That candidate should be here soon. Weisden said from his spot in their cabin. He watched with amusement as Naji stumbled about the living area with naught but a towel on his head. I know that! Maybe if that damn runner had galloped by me and flung mud all over me I would have clothes on by now. They had been heading back to his cabin after eating dinner when some asshole on a runner had almost run him over. Thankfully he'd avoided being trampled, but the runner did get mud all over him. Therefore, once he got home he had to immediately take a bath and now had just emerged still rather wet. His hair was sticking up everywhere thanks to him towel drying it.

Quickly he moved to his chest of drawers and found a shirt and a pair of pants to throw on. Most of Naji's clothes were well made if not overly fancy, though he certainly still had all of his best clothes that he'd brought with him down south. Since becoming a handler though he'd had to purchase not so fine of clothing to do his handler duties in. He didn't bother with socks on putting his boots back on. He was just getting his vest buttoned up when he heard the knock on the door. "I'm coming!" Naji yelled as he headed towards the door.

Naji just got his last button done before he opened the door, neglecting to realize that his hair was still wildly sticking out all over his head. "Candidate Keetin, I presume. Please, come in." He said as he moved back and gestured for the young man to come in. Ah Naji....your hair. Weisden finally mentioned it to him. Naji quickly ran his fingers through it to try and tame the locks some. "Forgive my disarray. Some twit decided to almost run over me after dinner. Managed to get mud on most of my person, so I just got out of the bath." He explained as he shut the door. "Please, make yourself comfortable. That's Weisden there and well...I'm Najden, but you can call me Naji. So how can we be of service to you?" Naji asked curiously as he gestured for Keetin to take a seat at his small table.
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Car'vis and Corentivis | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

Altreis

Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:30 am

Almost immediately after he knocked Keetin heard Najden call back that he was coming. The boy took a step back, making sure he wouldn't be crowding the Lordling once he opened the door. The moments before the door opened he used to compose himself the rest of the way. He had to be professional, polite, cordial, calm, confident...all sorts of things. Whether anyone else believed him or not he was a future goldrider and he was going to act like it.

Quite the sight met him then as the door opened revealing Najden. Much to his relief (though he was careful not to let it show) Najden was not upset with him. He did look a little disheveled with his hair somewhat damp and sticking up all over, but Keetin only began to wonder if he should have delayed another half a candlemark. Unfortunately if he waited much later he risked running into his curfew. This would have to do.

Najden was quick to explain, Keetin nodding as he passed him. Venna hissed softly, shuddering at the thought of being covered in mud. Keetin smiled at her before turning to the stunning day wher. Introductions were being made and he inclined his head to the day wher. "Hello Weisden, thank you for allowing me to share your space for the evening. You look...amazing. Najd-Naji, you're really lucky to have him." Keetin turned a wide smile to the handler. A moment later his features became more solemn, official-like. "And I'm very sorry to hear of your..." He trailed off, searching for the right word. "That you had to suffer such a clumsy person on your way home. I am Keetin, dragon candidate, and this is Venna, my helper. She's appalled you had to deal with all that mud." Venna, who had been in the middle of a bow to the man, quickly sat up, growling. Mud, such an evil thing.

But Keeting was not done and now that he thought of it addressing things a little out of order, a small frown on his face as he quickly thought. "I...owe my thanks to you as well, agreeing to meet me and allowing me in. Uh...I might have spoken out of turn a little, my apologies. I did not want to ignore Weisden or talk about him like some sort of pet and I know this is his home too. And I didn't want to neglect introductions..." A slight blush dusted his cheeks but Keetin took a deep breath and pressed on: "I also must apologize as to how this meeting was arranged. It wasn't until I received your reply that I realized by having Venna leave a note and return to collect it I was accidentally invading your privacy. My goal was your convenience but...I made a mistake. It won't happen again."
Parker
Site Admin

Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:41 pm

"Hello Weisden, thank you for allowing me to share your space for the evening. You look...amazing. Najd-Naji, you're really lucky to have him.

He watched to make sure the young man was making himself comfortable at the table before he moved over to his cupboard and took down two glasses. One he filled with the pitcher of water he kept in his room and sat it in front of Keetin. The other, of course, he filled with four finger-fulls of whisky and then took a seat opposite the candidate. A soft and genuine smile spread on his face at Keetin's compliment. "Don't I know it. I'm not sure how I made it through life without him, really." Him and Inakil. Miserably is what you've told me before. Weisden stated for both men to hear. "Yes, I do believe that describes it." Naji agreed and then raised his glass to his day wher. "To you, my brother." He said before taking a generous sip.

"It is a pleasure to meet you Keetin and you too Venna. I appreciate your concerns and apologies, but alas...no matter where you live there are going to be assholes." Naji could certainly be crass when he wasn't thinking about it, despite the fact he could be all noble and mannerly when he knew he was suppose to be. "If Venna would like, I have a green firelizard and a few gemlizards asleep in the bedroom, she is more than welcome to go play with them if she wishes." He offered.

As Keetin continued, thanking him for his time and then apologizing for things he himself didn't think necessary, it occurred to Naji that perhaps Keetin knew of his blood and thought he had to act so formal. "Bah, no need to apologize for any of that. Rather smart way to get a hold of someone, honestly." Naji took another sip of his drink before he reached into his pocket and pulled out his tin of cigarettes. "While I certainly appreciate good manners as well as the next, just because I'm a Lordling you don't have to be so formal. I honestly prefer informality if I'm being honest." Naji assured him as he took out one cigarette and then proceeded to light it. "Hope you don't mind. It's habit to enjoy a drink and a smoke after dinner for me. Now then...I'm dying of curiosity. Exactly why is a dragon candidate interested in speaking with me? Not that I care, I don't. As I said, simply curious."
Image Image Image Image

Altreis

Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:01 am

As soon as he'd greeted Weisden Keetin had done as Naji said and made himself comfortable, sitting by the table and waiting for Naji to join him. In the meantime Keetin made his introductions and tried his best to apologize, because an invasion of privacy was somewhat what he'd wanted to avoid. Finding out he may have unintentionally done so anyway, well...it had been weighing on his mind ever since he got Naji's answer.

At least he made a decent impression by addressing Weisden. The day wher didn't seem to mind either way but Naji's face softened into a pleased smile. Keetin didn't take it for granted though, or even aimed at him as much as Weisden. It only made sense after all; day whers were as close to their handlers as dragons were to their riders. Or were they more like nocturnal whers in terms of bond strength? But even whers were important to their handlers; the point stood. Ignoring someone's bonded was a bad idea, even a flit! In this case it would be that much worse since the apartment really was as much Weisden's as it was Naji's. How many would even acknowledge that? Well too bad for them. Keetin knew better!

The hybrid flit on his shoulder trilled happily when invited to play with others, flying off before Keetin could stop her. He did try to caution her against waking them at least. "Thank you for the water...I hope Venna will be careful. If your gemlizards and firelizard are asleep I wouldn't want her to disturb them." Keetin glanced in the direction Venna had gone, frowning slightly in worry. Though she was well behaved overall sometimes she flitted off without thinking. "And you're right, there are all sorts no matter where you go. That doesn't make it any less unfortunate you had to deal with one, especially so close to our meeting time. If anything the timing of it is the worst, such that you couldn't finish cleaning up before I arrived. If there's a next time maybe Weisden could contact me and we could reschedule? Tonight I couldn't come any later because of the curfew for candidates but I wouldn't say no to trying again another evening when you weren't almost trampled."

Wait, he didn't feel that Venna's dropping off of the letter and picking it up later was an invasion of privacy? Inwardly Keetin breathed a huge sigh of relief at that, relaxing quite a bit. He really hadn't wanted to upset Naji in his somewhat clumsy attempt at communicating without disrupting the quartzhandler's life. The rest well... Keetin smiled and allowed himself one small laugh. "Actually those go hand in hand. It isn't quite that you're a Lordling, though I don't want to be rude with you all the more for that. Mostly it's that I'm trying to be polite and a good leader. I can't imagine Eavan or Safryn going around and er-if you pardon me saying so-calling people assholes. Not that there's anything wrong with you doing it, just doesn't quite fit with their jobs...right?"

He paused for a moment, taking a deep breath. "I want to get to know everyone in the Weyr and I'm trying to be polite, respectful, a leader. It's all part of a dream I have, one that I've been laughed at plenty so if you want to go ahead. I dare to try for more than what's expected of me, Naji. Though it has never happened before, I'm determined to be a goldrider. Browns had never chosen girls until the first one so why can't a gold think differently and choose a boy? But they're hardly going to want someone who's rude, selfish, short-sighted, those kinds of things. I'm trying my best to be the ideal goldrider right now. Why wait until the day I Impress? I can work to become the kind of rider my gold will want right now and I am. I know I'll mostly be working with the riders, but dayhandlers like you are important too. You're a part of the Weyr, as are the wherhandlers-though I'm not sure how much I can talk to them until I'm a full rider..." He trailed off and blushed slightly. "I'm rambling too, sorry. I hope some of it makes sense to you."
Parker
Site Admin

Sun May 01, 2016 7:30 pm

"A little disturbance won't bother them. In fact it'd probably be good for them. They can be quite lazy asses sometimes." Naji said, completely uncaring if his pets were awoken or not. They had likely been sleeping most of the day anyways. He waved off the young man's suggestion. "Nah, it's alright. I don't mind if you don't." He assured him. "Besides, you're here now, I'm here now. I have a drink and my smokes. No time like the present, am I right?" He said before he tipped his chair back in a relaxing pose.

Naji listened curiously as Keetin explained why he was being so formal. The lad wasn't wrong, but he wasn't completely right either. "That is a good reason to be formal, but allow me to let you in on a little secret." He took a sip of his drink and leaned forward again. "Take it from someone born into the life of formality, nobility, and expectations. All the manners, the...facade, if you will...that those of rank wear...it's a mask. One that they happily take off at the end of the day. I bet you top marks that Weyrwoman Eavan can swear with the best of them. The trick is to learn how to act properly in public and when need be, but...it's not an act that has to be maintained day in and day out. So...whenever you're in my presence, please...feel free to drop the mask." There was no way a person could stay that stiff and formal all the time without it making them somewhat miserable. Everyone had to have some fun sometimes. "You're young still, Keetin....don't grow up too fast. Trust me, you'll regret it."

"I won't laugh at your dream, Keetin." He assured the young man. Naji wasn't the type to make fun of people. Still, with that said he couldn't help but be very shocked by exactly what the young man's dream was. "You want to be a goldrider?" He asked dubiously, not sure that was what he had heard. Naji took a moment to take all of that in as Keetin continued explaining. "Well, I'd say it's a solid plan you have. Though, they say the dragon always knows who is the perfect one for them. I barely know anything about dragons, I know day whers...so I won't nay say your chances of impressing a gold. Though, I am curious....why do you want to be a goldrider? Bronzes hold just about as much rank. They're the ones that do all of the fighting and leading of the wings. Or is it more the diplomacy side of running a weyr that you're interested in."
Image Image Image Image

Altreis

Tue May 17, 2016 2:06 am

"Lazy asses...right..." Keetin agreed hesitantly. He really wasn't sure what to make of this. Naji was speaking very informally if not a tad impolitely at times. Keetin was pretty sure his parents would not approve of all the swearing. Still, he supposed Naji's informality made it a little easier to relax around him. Even before the Lordling said it Keetin could somewhat feel that if he wasn't perfect in his manners he would not insult or upset him. The rest however...

Keetin frowned, puzzled. What Naji said somehow did and did not make sense all at the same time. Facade? Mask? The politeness wasn't real? Maybe he made an extra effort to be polite when he was in "weyrwoman mode" but Keetin didn't generally go around swearing at people otherwise. His parents definitely did not like it. Neither did he really. Mental swearing was generally the most he allowed himself. Similar satisfaction, less negative feedback. Even without wanting to impress others he didn't really care to be yelled at all the time for his language. Keetin shook his head, still looking bewildered. "It's not a mask though," he said, confusion coloring his voice. "I mean okay I make more of an effort to be polite but it's not like...it's not that different from how I am normally. I've never really been deliberately rude unless someone pushed me too far first. You're saying everyone else just pretends?" It was such a strange concept to him...unless he misunderstood.

And what did Naji mean about growing up too fast? No matter what he did his body only grew so fast. He ought to know; he'd tried a few things so that he'd grow more but nothing worked. His body kept going at its own painfully slow pace. Maybe it had to do with having fun? Except he had plenty of fun dreaming of the beautiful gold he would one day Impress. Candidate lessons and chores were tackled with enthusiasm, he took excellent care of himself and Venna, and in his spare time...well he worked at being a good goldrider candidate. He had to. If he wanted to push the limits, to be seen as a real potential rider by a gold despite their strong preference for women, then he needed to be the best. Why would any gold turn away a good enough girl for a less than spectacular boy?

While Naji said he wouldn't make fun of Keetin's dream, the question afterward only seemed to do just that though Keetin's only reaction was a resigned set to his shoulders and expression. No one believed he could do it. No, that was wrong; very few thought it a possibility. Even they though knew as well as he how truly difficult it was. The odds were against him, history was against him, and many laughed at or scorned him for his dream. There were some who were shocked as well which he wouldn't be surprised if Naji was one such person.

However Naji turned right around, flipped the situation so that Keetin was the one shocked and once again confused. Why did he want to be a goldrider? Whyever would he not? "Just about isn't equal," Keetin said flatly. "You must know how Flights and ranks in the Weyr work. The queens get their own wing all to themselves and while the Senior gold may be the top ranked of them they're all important, equal if not higher than wingleaders which is about as high as a bronzerider could ever hope to go unless he got lucky and his bronze Flew the Senior. However the Senior gold is always the Senior gold, no matter who Flies her. Her rider's always the Weyrwoman no matter who gets to be Weyrleader at any given turn and often it's someone different each turn. That's the best a male can do for leadership; hope his dragon wins the Senior Flight and even if he does, even if for one turn he's Weyrleader, that still means he has to win again next time the Senior gold Rises or he loses his spot to another."

Was he interested in the diplomacy side of things? Diplomacy was hard, complicated. He would have to make all sorts of decisions he couldn't even begin to imagine yet. The polite "mask" as Naji called it would need to be perfect, especially when dealing with others. Could he do it? Did he want to? But it was part of being a goldrider and even if he wasn't a goldrider the Wingleaders, Wingseconds, Wingthirds, Weyrsecond, and Weyrleader all had to deal with varying degrees of it. So did it really matter? Keetin shrugged. "About the only way to not get mixed up in diplomacy one way or another is to not have any leadership position, not even Wingthird. Even the blueriders and greenriders have to deal with it from time to time. So I want to be the best I can be, make my family proud of me. I'm aiming for the stars even though everyone says I can't reach them. Someone has to try or we'll always be in the same place doing the same things the same old way. I wanna go beyond the normal, push the limits. That's not so strange is it?" Although even if it was he was not about to give up.
Parker
Site Admin

Wed May 25, 2016 3:15 am

Naji couldn't help but be a little amused at the confusion the poor lad was now displaying. Apparently he had not grown up in a noble family or even around Weyrleaders, but he had to give the kid credit for being so knowledgeable so far. "Alright, you got me there. It isn't all a mask and not everyone's mask is as...thick as others." He hoped Keetin understood what he meant by the thickness of a person's mask. He merely meant that other's tended to hide more of themselves than others. Naji would say that his own mask back home had been very thick indeed. He could play the part well, and there was a lot of it that was deeply ingrained that he couldn't get rid of, but for the most part...Lord Najden of Bitra Hold was far different than Quartzhandler Naji. "There is polite...and then there's formality. Politeness can be a mask, but it can easily be real. Like you...I would believe you are polite no matter how informal you wish to be. I am...a good portion of the time...polite even if I am being informal, like now. Formality is different. Being formal all the time would be like....running every where for the sake of running. Just...learn to relax and be informal...in your own way."

Naji nodded as Keetin began to speak about flights and what a goldrider's position was. He had to admit that Keetin had a point. Bronzerider's could and did have power, but they were far more replaceable than the goldriders. Especially the senior gold. Generally the Senior stayed there until something happened that the gold could no longer rise to mate. He could see that if Keetin wanted a position that was more steady he would prefer being a queenrider. "Okay, I see your point. I can't say it's a position I'd personally want, but I ain't going dash your dreams because of that."

"I'm aiming for the stars even though everyone says I can't reach them. Someone has to try or we'll always be in the same place doing the same things the same old way. I wanna go beyond the normal, push the limits. That's not so strange is it?"

For a few minutes he could only look at Keetin, his face slightly unreadable, before he stood up and grabbed another glass and sat it down in front of Keetin before filling it with a tiny bit of the alcohol he was having. "I say...fuck those that say you can't reach them. You've got my support young man and....candidate or not...I feel a small toast to your indomitable spirit is in order. To pushing the limits." Naji stated as he rose his glass to the candidate. It didn't matter if Keetin took the alcohol or not...the toast was real.
Image Image Image Image