Too Young to Fit In [Open]

While a similar idea to the dragonrider apartments, the Dayhandler cabins are individual homes that are overall smaller than the apartment buildings, with size assigned by rank and needs, woth all cabins allowing Daywhers to come inside. Day wherlings move into these cabins after bonding.
Marvealle
Site Admin
Title: Foxy Prince
Pronouns: Any

Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:15 pm

Salla had been in candidacy for just over a turn now, and still she found herself perhaps the youngest in the barracks. It came as no surprise to her, but she was left with a sense of isolation in the barracks. Luckily, most days she didn't have to deal with it much, as during any downtime the candidates had, Salla was often training with her mother. Today, however, wasn't one of those days. Her mother had too much going on to be able to follow through on their usual schedule, leaving Salla with a long free day with... nothing to do. She didn't like just sitting around the Daywher Barracks, she was too young for the sparring circles, as mostly only adults were there, she wasn't allowed to leave the Weyr proper, she wasn't interested in crafting or gardening. There was a whole lot of nothing for someone at her age she felt. At least Dragon Candidates usually had someone their age around, clearly, that wasn't always the case for the Daywher Candidates, especially when so young.

In the end, it was no surprise that Salla decided to wander over to the Dayhandler complex after taking a walk around the Weyr Yard. If nothing else, she could look at the Daywhers, or watch the handlers coming and going. Perhaps she would run into her dad or her mom and bug them for a little bit before they would inevitably have to move along with whatever duties were keeping them today. She looked around the Daywher pavilions, pausing to look longingly at the egg pavilion, devoid of any eggs or nest. It looked so sad so blank, and she imagined it with another clutch resting within. Would Dolcekil lay her clutch? Or one of the other females? Of course, there was no way to truly know until it happened. She quietly hoped though, that it would be soon, as she had been waiting so long already.

(So I had more and had to pause writing, and when I got back to it I forgot what I was doing. However, this is open to anyone! A Daywher, a handler, someone else who might be wandering around the cabins.)
Atricis: Next Generation
~..:: Character Tracker & Plotter | Marks Tracker ::..~
ImageImageImageImageImage Image Image ImageImageImage ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Ainokesshou

Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:07 am

34 was old to be standing as a candidate. Possibly too old? But Caerus was not DONE with his life yet. He was not done with his service to the Weyr, and he really couldn't see what he had to offer the Weyr besides his service as a wherguard. It was in deference to his increasing age, that he was standing for a day wher now.

Well, not really. It was because he couldn't really stand to look at whers for long. He missed Caerusk, and he knew that he needed something different enough to keep from comparing the two.

However, while daywher candidates tended to be older than dragon candidates, they were mostly in their twenties. He didn't sit around and feel sorry for himself for being out of place; he had too much to do, thank you, working on his craft, and putting in the extra work with his weapons that would probably always be necessary thanks to his old injury.

He walked past the daywher pavilions on his way back to the barracks. It was odd to think that, if one of the daywher liked him well enough, he would end up in one of those. After so many turns in a den during the day, it was odd to imagine quarters that let in so much light.

There were no eggs on the Hatching Pavilion, hadn't been for more than a turn. He had spent most of that time recovering from his injuries but he was growing impatient to move forward with life. He would have to set some deadline on himself though, some age past which he would stop trying. . .

And there was the young girl who made him feel ancient. Salla sometimes acted more adult that many of the twenty-something candidates, though, and he knew that she took everything very seriously given who her parents were.

She seemed very isolated, not that he was one to talk, since he didn't want to see his former partners friends among the wherguard, or especially their whers, and his brother had run off to the Flotilla. (At least he'd had better luck there.) He thought it was odd, she should have at least had some opportunity to socialize with the dragon candidates, but maybe she didn't want to.

She was looking at the Hatching Pavilion, and Caerus came up a few feet from her. "It sure would be nice to see some eggs on that," he commented, wryly. He was sure his impatience to get on with his life was not exclusive to his age. Given the child's serious nature she was probably in just as big a rush as he was.

"It's so strange to actually be a candidate this time, and at this age," he said. "It seems like I'm doing everything backwards."
Quiloth       Elahrairath     Nahumth       Arjunavoreth
ImageImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas Maukerith
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
   Atumra       Panlovis     Galask  Gask             Aesk     
Marvealle
Site Admin

Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:45 am

Salla gave the man who stepped up a few feet to her a side eye, wondering silently what he was doing before she recognized who he was. When he spoke and she looked more toward him, she realized he was one of her fellows, and the one at the opposite end of the age group of the barracks from herself. Where she was the youngest, he was perhaps one of the oldest, hoping to find himself a new bond after his previous loss to the wild felines that had caused many loses in the two Dragonkin Guards.

"Yeah," she agreed simply when he mentioned eggs, looking back to the empty pavilion. If only Dolcekil or one of the Blacks would Run soon to lay some eggs. She had been waiting a turn for it now, after tasting her first experience of a hatching as a candidate shortly after entering candidacy. Then he spoke again, admitting to the awkwardness he felt being a candidate right now. She looked at him again, and considered what he said.

"Why did you enter Daywher Candidacy then," she asked quite directly, perhaps more than a little curious to find out why he chose to enter when he was so much older than many of the candidates in the barracks.

(Lol, Salla is short and to the point, hope it's enough for you to work with, if you'd like me to add a little more, let me know.)
ImageImage
Ainokesshou

Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:41 pm

Caerus looked at the empty pavilion instead of his fellow candidates. This was something he had never shared with the other wherhandlers, an experience of anticipation and nerves that he had never gone through before. He wondered, quietly, if it had made him less grateful at the time. There had certainly been moments at the beginning of his wher's life, when he had been overwhelmed, confused, and even frustrated at having his own life hijacked. Not enough to break the bond and walk away from the Weyr, not even enough to think it 'out loud' to himself while Caerusk was awake.

But during the first couple of turns it had occasionally been there. He had been slightly out of place with the people who had planned and hoped to be chosen for an egg. The boundaries between him and them had faded, but had they ever disappeared?

"I did not choose to be a wherhandler," he said softly. "I would have, in hindsight. Even now, I would choose to have been Caerusk's handler." It was an interesting thought. Who would he be, if he had never bonded to a wher, never devoted his life to a duty, and then never lost both? He would not be himself, and he probably would not have spent half so long at the Weyr, supporting his brother in his disappointments and involving himself completely in a community.

"I am older than you, than most candidates," he acknowledged, drily. "But I'm not so old that I'm willing to be DONE. At first, I wanted desperately to help kill all the felines. . . but of course, that threat was dealt with before I was even done recovering. But I'm not done being a wherguard. Or an archer."

He grinned wryly. "And it makes more sense to be an archer during the daytime," he said, laughing at himself a little. "My night vision is pretty average. Since I'm CHOOSING this time, I'm choosing the candidacy that actually makes sense with my skills."

"I don't feel like I have to ask, why you are a candidate," he added, "or even why you decided to be a candidate as soon as possible. I am curious whether you considered whers or dragons at all though, before deciding to follow in your parents' path."
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Marvealle
Site Admin

Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:47 pm

Like he did, Salla looked forward to the empty pavilion they were standing before, looking into the place that would one day hold eggs for them, so long as they were patient. Eventually one of the females would clutch. Of course, she wasn't thinking of that as she listened to Caerus speak, answering her question in a roundabout way in her opinion, but perhaps it was the only way he could form an answer. She had no idea of what he might have suffered through, at least not in any way meaningful. She knew of him and his wher he had lost before, but she was still young, and had yet to experience much in the way of hurt and loss. So a lot of his words were just that to her, but she still listened to his short story about himself, explaining how he wasn't ready to be done serving yet, even if he had experienced a powerful loss.

He ended his statement with his own question to her, a slightly different one as it seemed it was obvious to him why she had joined candidacy as soon as she was able His question though was an interesting one, perhaps because it truly wasn't something she had actually thought about, and realized it in that moment. She shook her head though, looking at him now.

"I did not, honestly," she admitted easily. "I have my parents' legacy as the first Dayhandlers to follow and live up to. I've been learning about Daywhers for a few turns now under my mother... Besides..." She paused, her voice growing quieter and for a moment less sure of herself. "I'm sort of afraid of heights." She looked away and forward again. "And I would have to wait longer to stand for night Whers anyways. So Daywhers was an easy choice."
ImageImage
Ainokesshou

Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:55 am

Fear of heights was actually a very good reason to have no interest in dragons. Caerus knew of a wherhandler who had originally been Searched but had such severe motion sickness when flying that she had sought out wher candidacy instead. "I think it's pretty rational to be afraid of heights," he commented. "We don't have wings of our own after all. Maybe you have to be a little bit crazy to be willing to strap yourself to a giant dragon and trust that he can keep you from falling."

"As to waiting," he smiled wistfully. At her age an extra turn or two must seem overwhelming. Certainly he had no more desire to dawdle than she did, but given how much time was stretching out in front of her, "it's not like there's a guarantee either of us will bond to one of the eggs in the next clutch. I could spend the next five, ten turns as a candidate, and eventually have to accept that I am too old to keep trying."

"But I'm hardly going to tell you that you should go be a wher candidate instead. I obviously am not making that choice and it would probably make more sense for me than for you. It's just important that you make such a permanent decision based on your own desires."
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Marvealle
Site Admin

Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:04 am

Even the super serious Salla found a chuckle when he mentioned how one would have to be a bit crazy to ride dragons. Perhaps all dragonriders were a little crazy, maybe that's what dragons looked for, she thought with amusement. Not that she didn't like dragonriders, it was just an amusing thought about what it was that made them able to ride their large beasts through the skies.

When he went on about waiting though, about there being no guarantees at bonding the next time there are cubs, she knew he was right. Not all the cubs bonded out of the shell, and the clutches even from Dolcekil who clutched the largest of clutches weren't actually that big compared to dragon clutches.

"I can't really see myself doing anything else right now," she admitted after a moment of contemplation over Caerus' words. "I want to be like my parents and continue their legacy." She thought a moment longer, then looked up at Caerus with a curious glint in her eyes.

"Did you ever feel regret over not getting to choose being a wherhandler yourself?"
ImageImage
Ainokesshou

Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:50 am

Caerus honestly hadn't thought about what would be different if he had been a candidate deliberately. If he had made the decision early enough, would he have focused on different weapons? Would he possibly have been better prepared for the fight with felines that killed his wher and nearly killed him?

But he couldn't imagine that he would have chosen to become a candidate for a wher. He had never been all that inclined to be awake at night before bonding to Cask, it had been an accident of adjusting to a different cycle of days and nights that had led to his present at the wher Hatching after all. If he had chosen to become a candidate back then, he would have presented himself for a day wher. They were a new discovery then, but fascinating, and more importantly, diurnal.

"I don't think Caerusk minded," he said, considering the question as seriously as he could. "Maybe those first months would have been easier if I had been a candidate first. And maybe if I hadn't accidentally bonded with him when I was unable to sleep the night of the Hatching, I would have presented myself to be a candidate at some point."

Or maybe he would have left with Audra when she asked. That was hard to imagine, but maybe he would have been as devoted to her as she wanted if he had not been bonded already.

"If I had planned for candidacy from a young age," he mused, "if it had been a particular dream, maybe I would have focused more on using swords, and fighting at close range to be right next to my wher in combat. Maybe Caerusk would be alive.

"Or maybe one of the earlier fights, when I was picking off threats before they could get to him, we both would have died." He shook his head.

"Regrets are usually pointless. We think we can see the past clearly, but we still can't see the possible outcomes of different choices we could have made. It's all a mess, front to back."
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Marvealle
Site Admin

Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:02 pm

Again she stood and listened to him as he spoke on the possibilities of how his life could have been different in response to her question about regrets. However, when he shook his head, saying something about regrets being pointless, she smiled as she looked forward. When he finished with his final statement, she looked at him, a still half cocked smile on her face as she looked up at the man much older than herself.

"That sounds like something my mother would say," she couldn't help but share in amusement. "'Don't dwell on your regrets, they won't get you anywhere,'" she said, mimicking her mother's tone and Southern accent and voice as best she could as she said that phrase. "Not that I have any regrets. I haven't lived enough to have any. I guess what you both mean is the best I, or anyone really, can do is live our lives, and try not to dwell on the past." She looked out at the empty pavilion once again.

"Though I can't promise to not to eagerly await the future. For when there's eggs there, for when I am bonded to a daywher, or, even, for when I'm older." She knew how young she was, how it set her apart from others, even if she put on a tendency to act like she didn't need friendship.
ImageImage