The Request of a Sister - Fawkes | V'an

Not the large stone caverns that Weyr people are used to, these are buildings built on the top of the cliff, sometimes referred to as the Weyr Cliff. These buildings are all the same size, with multiple apartments for dragonriders to live in in each building. Because of space constraints, dragons sleep in large pavilions built around the dragonrider apartments.
Shaihulud
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:45 am

Season - Fuzzy time to late Summer 2048
Time - Early Evening
Location - Dragonrider Pavilion | V'an's Apartment

@Fawkes | V'an
Over the Turns, Revanne had not kept her distance from Atricis, though her visits were certainly few and far between. When she came, it was to see her brother, V'an. Normally, she enjoyed his company over a well cooked meal and a glass of wine. But she never lingered long, not when Benden called for her, reminding her it was late at home.

Today, however, was different for the brownrider. She came without the expectation of a meal and good company.

Faranth, I don't think this is going to work, Morath, she sighed to the brown as he wheeled down to land. V'an is going to be angry with me.

It is a pity if he is. You did nothing wrong, the brown huffed back.

Revanne could not bring herself to entirely believe her brown, not when her success as a mother hung on the line. After the fight Faveonn got into back in the Benden Creche, Revanne was certain she had failed her daughter. Faveonn blamed J'lek, but Revanne blamed herself and how she selfishly raised the child. For the entirety of the brownrider's life, her choices as a mother circled around her own needs and desires. She dismissed Faveonn's agency, for the girl had only lived as a child, ignorant and innocent in the ways of the world. After the fight in the creche, however, something changed in the girl. She had become more determined and unforgiving of those who wronged her. When chided by her own mother, who told her daughter to apologise, Faveonn refused, and then turned on her own mother. Her question was no longer sweet and innocent. Instead, she lashed out and demanded answers once and for all, pressing her mother to finally give her the name of the man who fathered her. It was only when she finally told Faveonn the truth about the man that Revanne realised she had never once considered the needs of her own daughter. Withholding the truth and forcing the girl to accept J'lek as a step-father had caused nothing but lasting damage.

And now, Faveonn threatened to leave Benden Weyr, with or without her own mother's consent.

"I'm going to see my father, my real father, and you are not going to stop me!"

Helpless in the face of her own daughter's wilfulness, Revanne found her way to V'an's door, and knocked upon it in defeat. When she finally saw his face, she appeared visibly distraught. "V'an, I think I made a mistake," she opened to her brother. It was her plea for help.
Fawkes
Junior Admin
Title: The Majestic Birb
Pronouns: She/Her, or Birb

Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:31 pm

They were only just settling in for the night, V'an coming home from his duties at the barracks and sloughing out of work clothes into something more comfortable for an evening in with the family. The apartment was... spotless, because that's what happens when his weyrmate has far too much on her hands and no Wingleader duties to perform while grounded on maternity leave. She even scolded him for leaving muddy boots by the door and he promised to tend to them after dinner - to which he was told it would be before dinner or he wasn't getting any dinner. The brownrider couldn't help the soft chuckle that escaped him as he acquiesced to his very pregnant weyrmate.

As he moved to scoop up the offending boots though, there came a knock at the door. Quirking his brow at the knock, he moved to answer it, wondering who might be calling tonight. He hadn't been expecting anyone that he knew of, but perhaps Ryarin was? What he saw though, was quite the surprise upon his doorstep and he looked down into the multi colored eyes of his sister, who's face was drawn and tight with worry.

"V'an, I think I made a mistake."

Without a word, the brownrider stepped aside and allowed Revanne to enter into his home and get off the doorstep and into somewhere a bit more private and comfortable. Closing the door behind her, V'an moved them toward the family room and gestured for her to take a seat on the couch or plush chairs. "What sort of mistake are we talking about here?" He asked with only a hint of concern in his voice, not knowing what he should be worried about yet. This was not going to be one of their usual nights of dinner and drinks, it was about family and the need to be there for one another even across continents.

While Revanne spoke up again, the man moved toward the ornately carved hutch sat in the corner of the room and he pulled open the upper cupboard to reveal a row of bottles lining the top shelf and several types of glasses beneath. He raised a questioning brow in her direction as he moved to reach for a wine bottle, or perhaps something a little stronger as his hand floated over to the liquor section. What sort of need was she in? Casual glass of wine over a heartfelt conversation between siblings? Or something rougher and deeper and needed to be dislodged with the strength of spirits?
"You are only given one little spark of madness,
... you mustn't lose it"

ImageImageImage
The Lady . . ~ ~ * ~ ~ . . The Vixen . . ~ ~ * ~ ~ . . The Knight

ImageImageImage
The Matron . . ~ ~ * ~ ~ . . The Joker . . ~ ~ * ~ ~ . . The Princess

Image Image
The Mariner . ~ * ~ . The Spirit

#332500/#C1A00C | #8AA259 | #A8482A | #B69064 | #667A8C | #B72334/#C3C3D0 | #181D68
~ Character Tracker ~ | * Marks Tracker *
Shaihulud

Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:01 pm

"What sort of mistake are we talking about here?"

"The stupid kind with lasting damage," the femme brownrider responded rather dramatically as she dropped her weight onto the couch and leaned back with a groan. Were she able to, she would have changed so much, but as it stood, Revanne realised such wishes were frivolous at best.

She turned her dual toned eyes back to her brother, catching that knowing question that marked his countenance. "Just wine," answered his sister. Anything more harsh, and she knew her judgement would fray. Once he joined her, drink procured, she took it in thanks, and then sipped from the glass. Normally the taste of wine brought her such relief and pleasure. Now, riddled with worry, the once pleasant drink tasted dead upon her tongue.

So what did she say to all of this? Revanne pondered for a moment, until she finally found her words. "Fav's been asking about her father again... her blood father-" Faveonn made sure to clarify, for since her weyrmating to J'lek, she had always viewed the bronzerider as Faveonn's true father, but her daughter had a will of her own and was quick to deny her mother's assumptions "-She... fuck, I should have told her sooner, but I knew her father was an ass. I didn't want her to see that he was just another distant weyrbred player."

To be fair, even in her memory, that night with Faveonn's father was incredible, but he left so soon, not even giving Revanne a chance once she gave him what he wanted. At one point, Revanne genuinely had feelings for the man, but clearly he did not feel the same towards her. He loved her, and then he left her with little regard. How could Revanne see him in a positive light when he took all the glows with him on the way out? Once their night of fornication resulted in a child, Revanne realised the man was hardly suitable enough to be a father. She had made up her mind to find Faveonn a man who deserved to be her father. Eventually, she thought she found a good man in J'lek, but Faveonn could not care less about him.

Instead, her own daughter opted for the pain of the truth over the comfort of a lie.
Fawkes
Junior Admin

Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:28 pm

The brownrider settled down onto the couch with a glass of wine offered to his sister and the other kept for himself. By the haggard look in her eye, he figured he was going to need this drink to help them through the issue at hand. He didn't speak though, merely took a sip and waiting for Revanne to start, to broach the subject that was clearly disturbing her.

When she started, he leaned back against the couch to listen, taking another sip of the red win that came from their homelands. It was about her daughter, Faveonn and the reality of her parentage, something V'an knew Revanne wasn't too keen to speak about. Since she'd found J'lek in her life again, the femme brownrider had found happiness and stability, and it seemed that hadn't quite rubbed off on the eldest child yet. Could he really blame Faveonn for wanting to know? Even if it ended in heart break, she knew J'lek wasn't her real father, so why should she just accept him the way Revanne wanted her to?

"You named your daughter, after our mother... and you wonder why she's so strong willed?" V'an started with a soft tease, a knowing smirk on his lips for the other brownrider and maybe even the hint of a chuckle if he managed to get a hint of a grin from her. "Now, I'm just playing the advocate here Reva, don't get mad at me.... But what's so wrong with Fav wanting to know who her real dad is? She's weyrbred, if he is still this player you say he is, then she'll see that, she may even understand why you kept him from her then." He said, softly, treading carefully around his sister and hoping not to stoke her ire, but perhaps to get her to see this from another point of view.

"Maybe, she needs to see that he's a flake, needs to see that Jora is the better choice of father material before she can accept him the way you want her to..." The brownrider added carefully, taking a sip of his wine as if it was an afterthought, something to ponder for a moment. He didn't know if this was the right thing to say, but it felt good to speak up for Faveonn in this too, perhaps see where she was coming from when the girl couldn't be in the room with them. He liked to think he knew adolescents, he liked to think he knew how to work with them and find out what it was they needed in order to succeed, maybe Faveonn just needed to see the truth before she could move on.
... you mustn't lose it"

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

Image Image

#332500/#C1A00C | #8AA259 | #A8482A | #B69064 | #667A8C | #B72334/#C3C3D0 | #181D68
Shaihulud

Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:03 pm

"You named your daughter, after our mother... and you wonder why she's so strong willed?"

How was Revanne to know the power in a name? She never knew their mother like V'an did. Faveonn's namesake died shortly after giving birth to Novandra and Revanne. After her passing, all that that remained of the brazen bluerider were the fantastical stories spun about her. The idea of Faveonn became a myth, the legend to aspire to in the brownrider's own life. She dreamed of becoming the mother she never knew: bold, courageous, and free-spirited. When she gave birth to her daughter, Revanne blessed the child when she named the squalling babe after her own mother: Faveonn. Revanne did so to invoke the strength of her mother. The name was a silent prayer of power and fulfilment for the child, a demand of freedom for her daughter to live her life unfettered by the constraints of society. Unfortunately, it also mean invoking a force of nature beyond Revanne's control. In naming her daughter Faveonn, the girl seemed to take on a life of her own, forging her own path that deviated from very one Revanne envisioned for her. Yet at V'an's reminder, the femme brownrider realised that the girl now walked the same path blazed by the woman long passed. Faveonn would never be anything like her mother, but she would be everything like her grandmother.

"Now, I'm just playing the advocate here Reva, don't get mad at me.... But what's so wrong with Fav wanting to know who her real dad is? She's weyrbred, if he is still this player you say he is, then she'll see that, she may even understand why you kept him from her then."

Dual eyes narrowed on her brownrider brother.

"Maybe, she needs to see that he's a flake, needs to see that Jora is the better choice of father material before she can accept him the way you want her to..."

Though he offered the hope that Faveonn might repent and return to her family in Benden, Revanne knew her daughter well enough to realise that would never happen. Intuition foretold Faveonn's fate: Faveonn would go to Atricis, and in Atricis she would remain. No matter what sort of man her father was, J'lek would only ever be her "mother's weyrmate". "Fav doesn't work like that, unfortunately. She's too bullheaded-" much like their mother was, just as V'an said "- I just... I need to know someone who actually cares about her is going to be there for her. I love E'von, but I need someone more reliable than him to be that father figure she is going to need in her life when her blood father lets her down."

... yes... E'von. There brother would join V'an soon enough, but there was more.

"I wanted to ask if you would watch her for me, V'an. Be my eyes and ears. E'von is going to come with her, and... so is Novandra-" unfortunately, Novandra respected an adolescent's sense of privacy far too much, thus was ultimately undependable "- But I need you to do this for me, please. E'von has never been the most responsible father, and Nova never had any kids of her own, so she doesn't understand that they need to be looked after. But you have children and you work with weyrlings, kids who are Fav's age. You know how they are, and why they need to be watched out for. Will you protect her for me?" Even if it meant protecting her from the hurt of her own father?
Fawkes
Junior Admin

Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:54 am

The answer on his lips before she even finished the question, because of course he would look out for Faveonn, she was Revas' daughter, she was family and he would always look after family. She didn't even need to ask him, simply letting him know the girl would be in the Weyr was enough for him to keep an eye and ear out on his niece, making sure to touch base with her from time to time. It might even be good for him as an uncle, to reconnect with the youth since they've spent so much time apart,it would be nice to get to know the girl she was growing up to be.

"Reva, you already knew what my answer was going to be, surely, because of course I will. She'll be with family and I'll make sure she's okay, and be there in any way I can for her." The brownrider said warmly and smiled softly at his worried sister, for most of her worry was for nothing. "And I know how to handle bull headed youths, they are kind of my specialty." V'an added with a hint of pride, thinking of a certain bluerider who had been afraid to fly once and was now rising the ladders of the Wing as a 'third. "You know I'll watch over her as best I can, brothers' honor." The man added with a bit more of a serious and determined knowing, so Revanne would know that he promised to take care of family.

For a brief moment, he wondered if he should ask who Faveonn's real father was, because apparently the man was stationed in Atricis and V'an wondered if he knew who it might be. But then, another part of him didn't really want to know either in case he did know who the man was, though he was bound to found out soon enough anyways. He twirled the glass of wine in his hand thoughtfully, watching the slow drip of the legs down in the inside of the bowl. It might be best in the end to know ahead of time who this man might be, ask around if he'd never heard of him before, so he could get a handle on Faveonn's situation before she even arrived.

"Dare I ask, who her father is?" The brownrider asked before taking a sip of the dark red wine and wondered if he was going to recognize the name.
... you mustn't lose it"

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

Image Image

Shaihulud

Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:07 am

"You know I'll watch over her as best I can, brothers' honor."

Yes, she did know, but it felt better now that she heard it straight from V'an's own mouth. When she returned, she would tell Novandra, though she knew her sister would be less than pleased. You didn't trust me? the dismayed weaver would ask her in a wounded voice Why? Already, Revanne felt the need to shrink from the pending accusation of distrust, thus she sunk herself deeper into her wine.

It could have been worse, the brownrider supposed. She could have gone to the creche now to ask for a foster parent for Faveonn after Novandra insisted on watching out for Faveonn herself. At least Revanne would give Novandra a chance, but she needed V'an to be there too, watching over both of them.

"Dare I ask, who her father is?"

Her brother had caught her mid drink with the question. She paused with the glass at her lips, though she no longer drank the wine, and then ever so slowly, the glass returned to her lap, clasped nervously by two hands. "I'll tell you, but it's Fav's place to tell him." The brownrider knew her daughter wanted to be the one to confront the man. Not Revanne, not V'an, not E'von, not Novandra. Only Faveonn. "His name is K'rios. He's a pewterrider here." Anything other detail she knew about the man had likely expired over the last fourteen turns. People changed, and she hoped for Faveonn's sake that K'rios had changed for the best.
Fawkes
Junior Admin

Mon May 06, 2019 12:32 am

"I'll tell you, but it's Fav's place to tell him."

The brownrider gave an affirming nod, of course, he wouldn't dare break that news to anyone and wasn't even sure if he really wanted to know who it was... He lifted the glass of wine to his lips, ready to take that restorative sip for whatever name came from his sister's lips.

"His name is K'rios. He's a pewterrider here."

V'an sputtered into his glass once before lowering it, his gaze turning back to the femme brownrider and brows scrunching incredulously. "K'rios? ... K'rios of Pewter Iktomith?" For a moment, he just sort of stood there with a look of disbelief and then reached up to wipe a hand down his long face. "Oh, he's never going to live this one down now..." V'an said under his breath and shook his head, though there was the slightest huff or two of a chuckle as well.

"Yea, I know him. He's an assistant to the Candidatemaster actually, so we sort of work together." The man said, lifting the glass and taking a deep drink of it before giving another soft chuckle and shake of his head. "I mean, I knew he had a reputation in the past, but never thought it would lead back to you Reva... Or Faveonn, shells..." V'an continued softly, reaching up to run a hand through feathery hair that just fell right back into place once more. "From what I know of him, he's not that man anymore, at least not the one you might be remembering... He's good with the candidates, he's got family here, and he's a friend of mine." The brownrider said, leaning back in his seat slightly, relaxing a little now that he was starting to process all this.
... you mustn't lose it"

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

Image Image

Shaihulud

Sat May 25, 2019 12:05 am

"K'rios? ... K'rios of Pewter Iktomith?"

Revanne was just about to bring her cup back to her lips to finish that last sip, only to give pause once more at his response. "Yes..." The answer came with a measure of uncertainty, not in part on the answer itself, but her dread about what V'an was about to say.

"Oh, he's never going to live this one down now..."

"You know that bastard? The one who left me high and dry because a good fuck was all I was good for?" Her voice strained on that last word, for it pained her to remember the aftermath of their incredible time together. K'rios left her in a way to make her feel worthless and used. Thus the very idea that K'rios could befriend her own brother caused the brownrider to seethe.

"Yea, I know him. He's an assistant to the Candidatemaster actually, so we sort of work together."

It was bad enough her own daughter had decided to abandon her for a man who had abandoned her all those turns ago, a man her daughter had never known...but to find out V'an knew him... The way her brother chuckled over the matter suggested they were indeed friends. The very idea got under her skin and made it crawl like nothing else. Outrage tinted the world red through her eyes as she glared her brother with utter contempt for the simplest crime of association, but she managed to hold her tongue as he spoke on.

"I mean, I knew he had a reputation in the past, but never thought it would lead back to you Reva... Or Faveonn, shells... From what I know of him, he's not that man anymore, at least not the one you might be remembering... He's good with the candidates, he's got family here, and he's a friend of mine."

"Some friend or yours," dismissed the femme brownrider. Yet Revanne was mindful enough to see what V'an was actually saying, even if she was a bit reluctant to accept it. He knew K'rios well enough to know his change was genuine. Whatever man Revanne remembered was not the man K'rios was now. Naturally, she hated V'an for the revelation, and despised K'rios even more so for it. Where was this great guy when she first encountered him back in Benden all those turns ago?

"What should I say? The cliche 'I hope you're right'?" A huff of frustration escaped her before she sunk back into her seat. Even if she suspected V'an was right, she was not entirely ready to believe him. After a breath of silence, she finally gave in enough to ask, if only to know what her daughter was getting herself into. "So what, is he mated or something? One of those big family, great father sort of guys now?"