Catching Up (L'van || Ember)

Not the large stone caverns that Weyr people are used to, these are buildings built on the top of the cliff, sometimes referred to as the Weyr Cliff. These buildings are all the same size, with multiple apartments for dragonriders to live in in each building. Because of space constraints, dragons sleep in large pavilions built around the dragonrider apartments.
Tyriani
Title: Character Hoarder
Pronouns: She/Her

Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:09 am

You should go and talk to him again.

Sull'tek looked up from his desk and over at the brown who spoke. Okay, are you going to come with again? He knew that his father's weyr would be able to hold the brown as well, but the brown still declined. Sul'tek nodded though and he left his own and he headed to the large apartment that belonged to his father, L'van. Sul'tek had been keeping up, slightly, with his father since he came to the weyr after what happened at Igen Weyr. Are you sure you don't want to at least be outside? Sul'tek was still trying to fully figure out his feelings for his father, so he was of course, a bit nervous around him, even though he tried not to show it. But that was also the reason why he loved for Basarolth to be along with him for these little meetings of catching up.

But still, the brown denied the question and just stayed in his bed, even going so far as to send a picture in his mind that made himself look comfortable and warm. Sul'tek rolled his eyes playfully at his bonded before he knocked on his father's apartment door. "Hello L'van, its Sul'tek. I was wondering if you wanted to spend some time talking?" Things had been hard for them to try and talk and catch up before, just because of the fact that they were both busy, but his father more so since he was the Weyrleader. He stood outside and waited for the answer from the Weyrleader, and that was when he saw Basarolth land a little bit away from him and laying down in the grass beside the apartment. It was his way of saying that he would still be close.
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:18 am

When he heard that voice and knew that man was waiting for him, L'van paused and looked up from the desk in his apartment. He hadn't heard from Sul'tek on a personal level in an age or two, and he couldn't be certain he was hearing what he was, or if it was some illusion. Usually the only time they had contact with one another was on an official level, and they avoided one another with a quiet, unspoken understanding, one that he didn't understand himself and never really had out of respect to his son.

But if he was there, there had to be a reason for it, unless he wanted something, and even if he did, L'van would be willing to hear him out. He set his quill down and stood, leaving his chair where it was as he made his way to the front of the apartment, which was quiet and dark. He called out "Just a moment!" as he set himself to opening the glow baskets, and wondering if he needed to take out something in the kitchen. Klah ingredients maybe, or perhaps something for an entire meal?

Or maybe he should just wait to see what it was that would happen once he opened the door and spoke to Sul'tek in the first place? He made his way forward after the last basket was open. When he reached the door he paused for a moment before unlocking it and opening the door up. On the other side he saw a face, so much like his own in his youth, and yet so different to what it was at the same time. "Sul'tek."

And then it hit him.

The boy had called him L'van. It stung, even now, and yet there was nothing he could do about it. He swallowed and stepped back, opening the door further to allow him in. "Come in, have a seat in the living room if you'd like. Do you want a drink, something to eat?"

Please visit the above link for a list of my current
characters, links to their profiles, to see what
they look like, and find other little facts about them!

[ Marks Tracker | Graphics Shop | NPC Archive ]

“You fail only if you stop writing.”
— Ray Bradbury —
Tyriani

Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:35 am

He had heard his father answer from inside the weyr, and he was mentally berating himself for calling him L'van. Perhaps he should have said father or something? He didn't know honestly. Yes, the bronze rider has been in his life and has tried to maintain a relationship, but Sul'tek also knew that it was difficult to do so while being a rider. When the door to the weyr opened though, he tried to smile to that man. Smiling was not his forte, so it probably looked forced, even though it wasn't.

"None for me thank you." He walked into the weyr and looked around. It was a nice living quarters, and to say he was jealous would probably be an understatement, but he left that be. Instead, he walked into the living room and took a seat, waiting to see his father come in. "I was wondering if you wanted to try and catch up again? It has been a while since we are able to just talk, you know, as father and son." He was trying to find the right words, and it was difficult.

Little to his knowledge, Basarolth was actually plucking the right words for that sentence and placing them in front, making it slightly easier. It did make life a bit easier, and he was grateful for the brown for it. He waited to see how his father felt on the suggestion, and might suddenly wish he wasn't so nervous. He didn't know why he was nervous, it wasn't like he was meeting the man for the first time or anything. Perhaps it was just because it had been a while, and well, would it be natural for him to think that he missed his father? Yes.
Ember

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:12 am

It surprised him to hear Sul'tek say such a thing, but L'van was pleased nonetheless. He smiled and nodded, flipping more of the glows as he moved. "I would like that. Just give me a moment, I'm going to feed the beasts so they'll leave us be while we speak." The beasts in question were his lizards, Aka and Burlap, who could become quite cranky when not fed, though Vigil was by far more patient for his feed.

The blue firelizard gave a soft sound as he came and landed near Sul'tek, not sure if the brownrider would recall him, though the aged blue certainly remembered him. He set out a paw nearby as a way to say hello, before fluttering off to usher the other two away before they could charge for attention that may or may not be wanted. "He's good for that, Vigil is. But he's good for a lot of things. Faithful from the day I received his egg."

Once again the blue made a sound in pleasure, knowing he'd done well, and once the lizards were all set up with a meal, L'van joined his son in the living room and settled down across from him. He took in his appearance, watched him closely for a little while, and nodded. "You look well." He pushed up his sleeves and set his hands on his legs. "Its good that you came. We need to sit like this, talk."

But even then, it was clear he wasn't sure exactly what to say. It didn't help that they hadn't done a sit like this in a while. Finally, he heard Zenjarth push him in a certain direction, and he nodded to himself, finding it funny though not surprising that the bronze would be listening in. "Zen tells me I shouldn't be so uncertain about all of this but considering we're near strangers at the moment..." He shook his head and wasn't afraid to keep eye contact with Sul'tek. "I don't want it to be like this between us, and so you know, I will do anything I need to in order to give us that father-son bond again."

— Ray Bradbury —
Tyriani

Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:41 pm

He was pleased, even if not as visibly so, to hear that L'van wanted to try the father-son bond once more. They used to have it, and then everything went downhill and it kind of went with it. Sul'tek still loved the man, there was no doubt about that, it was just getting that bond back to where it had been before, if not stronger, that was the new goal. Sul'tek looked at the blue flit and smiled at him. He would have scratched the firelizard's head if it weren't for the fact that he was helping L'van with the other two.

"He is persistent too when there is something that he needs to deliver." He remembered when Vigil came to deliver the letter from L'van. Sul'tek still silently thanks the blue firelizard daily for that letter, or else he would never have gotten to New Atricis. Sul'tek watched the little horde of firelizards as they went to eat finally and he looked at L'van when he sat down. "You look good as well." This was a little awkward wasn't it?

But then, there seemed to be the tension of, what do we do? How do we do it? What went wrong? All of the questions that seem to stem back to that one day turns ago. But the past was the past right? Sul'tek was here to forget the past, and forge a new future. "I agree, a talk seems to be the best way to kind of fix things." This was just...odd. Sul'tek could feel Basarolth trying to push the conversation in a good direction, but apparently L'van's bronze had been doing the same.

Hearing his father press the same feelings that he himself felt, he nodded lightly. A small smile could be seen playing at the corner of his lips, but that was only if one was looking for it. "I agree, the old bond that we had, I want that back. I don't want to feel distant." The truth, that was the only way to get things back on track right? Either way, he thought for a moment, before he got the perfect conversation that might work, hopefully.

"Did I ever tell you about Surieka?" Basarolth rumbled in Sul'tek's mind at the thought of the girl. Of course, she was a woman now, and a candidate by the last time that they spoke, but that wasn't the point. Sul'tek honestly couldn't remember if he had told his father that he had a granddaughter.
Ember

Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:55 pm

He smiled and nodded, though their troubles had been such that the interaction between grandfather and granddaughter hadn't been many, from what he could recollect. He tried to bring up a picture of the girl, recalling having met her but once, and only came up with the image of a tiny little thing that looked a little like her father - in his opinion - but probably more like her mother.

He sighed and pressed the heel of his hand to his forehead. "I think the last time I saw her she was still a little child, but its been so long, and we were having too many troubles. I might even be recalling events wrong." He glanced at his son, tried to smile in apology, but knew he looked rather upset that he hadn't been there more considering they'd all lived within the same Weyr. "Perhaps one of these days you could tell me what she's like?"

He thought that might be a safe family topic to talk about, considering how eager Sul'tek was to avoid the subject of family for the time being. There was so much he wanted to say but he was trying to go by this at his son's pace. Hopefully that would help with this repair work they were attempting, he thought, though he knew only time would be able to tell.

— Ray Bradbury —
Tyriani

Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:25 am

Sul'tek didn't blame L'van for not remembering Surieka too well. It had been difficult to see her after all, for them both. But he nodded lightly. "I think the last true visit you were able to get was when she was about five or six. Still a young lass for sure, but very happy to see you." Sul'tek couldn't help but smile lightly as he thought back to those days. It even made the brown outside rumble with his own love and affection it seemed.

"She wants to transfer you know. Be a candidate here. Be with her family." He looked from where the dragons laid back to his father then. His eyes showed his happiness at the thought, and he hoped that L'van felt the same way. Of course, it probably wasn't going to be hard for the man to feel happy about it since L'van's family was all starting to come back to one Weyr to live together again. Sul'tek knew that it made him happy to know this little fact, even if there was a lot of family to meet.

"She seems to be a bit like me from what I understand. A huge workaholic, but formal in her ways. She seems to be polite and kind, while still being stern." After thinking for a moment, he thought about it in detail. There was a lot that L'van didn't know about her, but then, there was a lot that she didn't know about L'van. Them meeting again would be a great thing, something that could make both me a bit happier.
Ember

Wed May 01, 2019 4:34 am

He chuckled a little, unable to help himself. "It seems to be a family thing." He said, "The workaholic tendencies? We all seem to carry it in some way. You, me, K'rios, Lulara... we all obtain some manner of rank or push ourselves to succeed on some pathway. Ambitious people that seek to do ambitious things." He looked down at his hands, and a part of him felt... ill for it. If he hadn't pushed himself so much in his youth, and actually made an effort to be there for his kids on a more personal level, perhaps they wouldn't have taken on that kind of approach. Oh, Lulara, the eldest would tell him to stop being such a dumbass about it all, and he would laugh of course. But the fear would never leave him.

"We'll see what we can do. I'm sure there's room in the barracks, and K'rios is good with the kids. Candidates I mean. Depending on what she wants to stand for that is." He was getting ahead of himself, eager though he was to see his granddaughter again. "I can help arrange for her transport if you're busy with duties and drills that day?" The sooner she was out of Igen, the better. Then there'd just be Abrivani and her kids to bring down, and there wouldn't be a scrape of his blood littering the lines of Igen any longer.

— Ray Bradbury —
Tyriani

Tue May 21, 2019 5:40 am

He had never really thought of the work tendencies to being a family trait. But now that he did think on it, it made perfect sense to him. But even as they thought on that, he could tell that something was bugging his father then. That bugged Sul'tek. He looked at the man and he had a puzzled look on his face. "What is that look for? I think it is a wonderful thing. If none of us were workaholics, then none of us would be where we are." Shit, he was horrible at consoling people wasn't he. Oh well, if anything, L'van would be more willing to talk about it, right?

"As far as I know, she wants to continue the dragonrider trend in the family. Something about trying to best her father and mother. I don't know, some of her writings don't make sense." He shook his head and he sighed. He knew exactly what Surieka had meant during that letter. Suri wanted to impress to something that was higher ranked than a brown. He would be happy to see that happen, but he also knew that there was a small chance that it would happen. So either way, he was going to be supportive of her. If anything, there was definitely a way for her to surpass her mother's green.

"I would love for that. Right now, she is standing for a new clutch that was laid I guess. Honestly, I hope she doesn't impress while there. I can't stand the thought of her staying there much longer." He hoped that L'van was going to feel the same way, but at the same time, perhaps it was mean of him to hope that she wouldn't impress during the clutch that was on the sands there? He didn't know, he was conflicted as all sharding hell.