Keeping Close To Caution ~ Tag ~ LdyPayne / Lerina

Not the large stone caverns that Weyr people are used to, these are buildings built on the top of the cliff, sometimes referred to as the Weyr Cliff. These buildings are all the same size, with multiple apartments for dragonriders to live in in each building. Because of space constraints, dragons sleep in large pavilions built around the dragonrider apartments.
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:50 am

As Weyrleader, there were certain things that L'van was able to do, and oft en had to in order to see to the health and well being of the Wings. One of those things he'd had to do in the past, and was in the process of tending to now, was reshuffling some of the Wings and their members, if only to keep things balanced at all levels of flights.

Of course, he was usually careful about placing certain people in Wings together, for obvious reasons. Sometimes it couldn't be helped, and more often than not there weren't issues. Lately for him, it was become more difficult to hold back from doing this due to the fact that more of his family were transferring to New Atricis. Good for him, he adored the fact, but considering he didn't want there to b e complications among any of them...

Which is why he was upset with himself the next day when he realized he'd shuffled one of his son's into the same Wing as one of his daughters, and only come to realize it when he'd checked the order of things after branding it all official and sending out notices the day before. It was too late by then to do anything about it, except he could give one of them a head's up, and he intended to do exactly that.

Zen... The bronze was asleep still, as he usually was between morning and midday, curled up as he was with Soquilith. I need you to speak with Issormoth. See if his rider is awake and if she is, ask her to meet me in my office. He thought of something else and then added, See if she's eaten today yet, if you would. They hadn't spent much time together as of late. If she hadn't eaten yet, he'd order some things from the kitchens, and if she was amiable after their talk, maybe they could catch up over a brunch together.

The bronze, for his part, didn't speak to Issormoth as his rider asked. Apparently L'van had forgotten about his habit of speaking to Lerina directly. After yawning and snuggling in close to his mate, the dragon gently touched the mind of the young woman without letting his rider hear. L'van would like you to meet him in his office if you're awake enough on this Rest Day, and if you haven't had a meal yet, if you could let me know so he can order something up for you two.

Please visit the above link for a list of my current
characters, links to their profiles, to see what
they look like, and find other little facts about them!

[ Marks Tracker | Graphics Shop | NPC Archive ]

“You fail only if you stop writing.”
— Ray Bradbury —
LdyPayne

Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:22 am

When one had a hungry furflit around it was hard to sleep in on one's Freeday. Evana was definitey being fussy this morning and she didn't just want a bowl of food laid out for her, she wanted to be hand fed. Lerina knew she could just leave the bowl and try and go back to sleep but that would mean Evana would pester her and cause mischief till she had her way. Lerina couldn't trust her not to wreck something if left to her own devices.

Lerina had to admit lately Evana had been more troublesome than usual enough that Lerina wondered if she was pregnant. Unfortunately she couldn't recall if Evana had managed to find herself a mate, most times she was either with Lerina or given free reign of most of her apartment. Lerina kept one closet closed as this was where she kept her gemlizards when she wasn't there to make sure they didn't become a snack for her furflit. Fortunately she was less worried about that happening now than she had in the past, at least up till Evana started acting up again.

"Here you little morning terror," Lerina told her as she handed her another piece of meat. There were only a few more pieces left in Evana's bowl then she'll hopefully have some peace. Ghost and Spirit, her gemlizards would need to be fed by now then Lerina planned to get herself cleaned up and head down for breakfast. After that she didn't know her plans for the rest of the day, maybe go on a trip somewhere new for a change of scenery.

Just as she as finishing feeding her gemlizards and making sure all her pets were content Lerina heard Zenjarth's voice in her head. Smiling as she always did when she heard the bronze speak to her Lerina only smiled more when she was told of her father's request.

I will love to meet with father and have a meal with him, let him know I'll be there shortly, Lerina thought back, confident Zenjarth was 'listening' for her thoughts to hear her response. She could of course ask Issormoth to relay her reply but with Zenjarth she didn't feel a need. He was one dragon she knew would listen and speak with her directly.

Washing up quickly Lerina put on a nice summer dress that was both modest and attractive on her. It may be just her father she was seeing but she saw no reason to go visit in work clothes. Besides, it was a beautiful day and the walk to her father's office will be pleasant. Perhaps after they eat they could enjoy a walk together if he wasn't too busy. Lerina reminded herself he was Weyrleader again and would have plenty of demands upon his time so she would be quite content with just a meal with him in his office.

Once she arrived at his office Lerina gave a knock out of politeness then made her way inside. "Good morning father, enjoying being Weyrleader once again?"

@Ember /L'van
Ember

Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:05 am

He was waiting for the meal to arrive when she arrived, and a smile lit up his face. Things hadn't always been great between them, which was another reason why he was worried about this situation he'd found himself in with the Wing placement. It was an embarrassing situation for him, one that he couldn't take away, and he only hoped that she would understand once he explained it to her.

"Good morning to you." He was quick to set aside the paperwork he'd been working on while waiting for her arrival, and set the stack underneath a weight to keep it from blowing away. "It's settling in well again, I think. Though Issormoth, from what I hear, put in a good show of it. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up giving us another female Weyrleader one of these Turns." There was a look of pride on his face at the very thought, letting her know he was actually anticipating something like that taking place.

He nodded towards the seat across from him, and went to pour them both mugs of klah from the brazier in the corner. "The food should be here shortly." He set the mugs on the desk and was about to suggest they start to chat about what he needed to when there was another knock on the door, announcing the food had arrived, a lot sooner than he'd anticipated.

With a chuckle he winked at her and started to move away from the desk. "Just one of the perks you'll face when you're in this spot yourself, my dear. Food is never far behind when you call for it." He went to open the door and allowed them in to settle things where he instructed.

— Ray Bradbury —
LdyPayne

Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:21 pm

"He certainly gave it his best shot," Lerina agreed. When she saw the pride on his face at the thought she may end up Weyrleader Lerina gave him a warm smile. It was good to know she'll have his support should Issormoth manage to catch the senior gold.

"I would really like that to happen some day. Maybe it's in my blood but being Weyrleader is a position I will definitely something I would want." Lerina took the offered seat and watched as her father poured Klah for them both. "I hope Zenjarth feels the same way as you do Father, I would hate for him to be upset with Issormoth, assuming they both chase together again."

She didn't have a chance to say more as a knock sounded. While her father went to answer the door she fixed her klah the way she liked it and took a sip. The smell of fresh brewed klah was soon overpowered by breakfast as it was laid out on the table for them. Definitely a great perk to have as Weyrleader and not the only one she knew would be available once she achieved such position. In the meantime she knew she would need to try her hand in other positions once she felt she had the necessary experience.

"It smells delicious," she said once the servers left. "I didn't realize just how hungry I was till now."
Ember

Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:06 am

He smiled at that, having not told her that the bronze had always held a touch of pride for her brown once he'd been told that he'd sired the younger dragon. A creature of Igen brought from their past, something to cherish even if his memory didn't always allow for it. It often made him smile when the bronze would idly watch Issormoth during practices, a flare of parental pride flowing through him even if he wasn't entirely sure why until caught by his rider; then the reasons would appear through their shared thoughts and the bronze would be all the more pleased to know the reasons why.

"I think Zenjarth will be as pleased for Issormoth as I will be for you." He assured her, after thinking briefly on those thoughts. After setting out their breakfast, he thought of something, an offer really if she wanted to accept it, and decided it wouldn't hurt to give her a little bit of tutoring, so long as it was something that was done in his own time, when neither of them were otherwise occupied. "Eat as much as you'd like, I can always call for more if you end up being hungry still."

He let her dish herself up first, choosing instead to pour their drinks while he waited. "I was thinking, perhaps you'd like it if I taught you some things about leading." Perhaps he'd made the offer in the past, and if he had and couldn't recall, he was going to feel foolish. But if he hadn't, then this would be a prime time to begin taking her under his wing, as he had so many other young riders with potential in the past. "With Issormoth chasing the senior, and you having it in you to lead, it would make sense for me to show you a few things here and there to help get your foot in the door, especially should he get you in that position before you've had the chance to lead a Wing as third, second, or first."

— Ray Bradbury —
LdyPayne

Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:20 pm

Knowing Zenjarth as well as she did Lerina should have known the old bronze would be as proud of Issormoth should he win gold Soquilith and gain them Weyrleadership. The day the two dragons met and learned they were Sire and Offspring there had been a connection of mutual respect and pride. Her father's next words had her laughing with humour.

"If I didn't know you better Father I would think you were trying to fatten me up." Lerina gestured at the amount of food. "I'm sure there's plenty here to see us both well fed. Or is it your plan to see me too heavy to fly upon Issormoth's back to ensure I don't meet my death facing Thread?"

Lerina didn't think her father would have such in mind but she did like to tease once in awhile. In truth with the Pass nearly over Threadfall had been lighter and less frequent over the last Turn or so compared to when she first rose to fight their ancient foe. Thinking about the end of the Pass did have Lerina wonder how life would change when there was no more Thread to strike against. Will New Atricis turn towards expanding it's borders in the South or remain content with her current Protectorate? Lerina knew she would have to give this thought for if she was to lead someday it was likely going to be closer to the end of the Pass where preparations for the Interval would be important to get underway.

Adding a good portion of eggs and pan fried bovine strips Lerina passed the remainder to her father. Breaking a fresh baked roll in half she dipped one end into the yolk of her egg and took a bite. She looked up when L'van offered to teach her a few things about leading to prepare her for the time she could rise as Weyrleader. In a way it was something she felt she could manage on her own but a wiser part of her knew there was probably far more to leading a Weyr than she thought she already knew. For one thing, the best way to work with Safryn so both Weyrleader and Weyrwoman worked in harmony. By all accounts her father and the Senior Goldrider worked very well together with no rumor of serious butting of heads reaching her ear.

"I'll be happy to learn anything you have time to teach me about leading the Weyr Father," Lerina told him, smiling in appreciation. "Especially how you and Weyrwoman Safryn work together so well. Or do you two just have the same goals in mind for the Weyr you two never have much in the way of disagreements to resolve?"

@Ember
Ember

Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:39 pm

He chuckled, knowing full well a tease when one was coming from her. It felt good knowing they could banter so after how things were when she'd first arrived in the South. They were relaxed around one another now, which felt good, and it was why he was worried about the damn mistake he'd made. He would just have to face the beat of the wings when it came to it, and hope she'd come to forgive him when it happened. For all he knew, it wasn't as much of an issue as he was making it out to be in the first place.

"No, my dear girl, if I were going to do that, I would find other ways. Though you've given me an idea of how I can turn you into a near-plucked wherry now." He grinned and set juice and klah next to her plate before filling his own cups. "It's going to be strange when we've reached a point where I no longer have to worry about you in those skies, fighting Thread. And Faranth, do I on some days. But you've proven yourself a strong and able fighter, you and Issormoth both. Perfect addition to the Atrician Wings."

He settled down after putting the klah aside and chilling the juice again, and once she'd selected her choices, he moved to do the same for himself, realizing then just how much had been brought up for them. As he dished himself up, he was pleased to hear that Lerina wanted to learn from him after all, and so he listened as she spoke, and when she did of Safryn and their working relationship, he had to try and figure out how to summarize how that worked as well as it did.

"It's a combination of things really, though not many, maybe one or two. We do indeed have similar goals in mind when it comes to the Weyr, and we generally have similar thoughts when it comes to leadership in general. Its also about how to work side by side together and keeping things open, keeping things rather on the table - she tells me whats on her mind when she needs to discuss something and I do the same in kind." He fetched his klah, ready for a sip of it, but he wasn't done speaking just yet. "We have a mutual understanding of what one another is thinking, and a mutual respect for the other as well. It makes working with each other easy."

@LdyPayne

— Ray Bradbury —
LdyPayne

Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:47 pm

Lerina chuckled at her father's response, glad to see she could still tease him and bring out his own sense of humour. She was much older now since that time when he was forced to leave Igen and leaving her behind. Thinking back on it it was hard to believe she arrived 2 Turns ago and she felt closer to her father now than ever before.

She smiled at the compliment at her Threadfighting ability, something she had never doubted in herself. Lerina could relate to her father worrying about her every Threadfall however as she worried the same about him, perhaps even more so. For all his experience and capability he was getting along in Turns and certainly of the age many rider's retire from the Wings. Looking at him now Lerina wouldn't believe he was likely in his 6th decade by now, he hardly looked in his 50s but she knew he had to be older than he looked simply because many of her half siblings were so much older than she was. It will be sad to see him retire from the wings but better that than to lose him altogether, a thought she quickly moved her mind from. Now wasn't the time for such morbid considerations.

Digging into her breakfast she made noises of appreciation as L'van served himself and settled at the table. She gave him her full attention as he answered her question about his working relationship with the Senior Goldrider. Lerina was glad to hear Safryn was of like mind to her father, it was a good sign she would get along with her as well. She did have her own ideas about how to better improve things at the Weyr, especially moving forward into the new Interval. Preparations had to be made for the end of Thread, especially with the younger riders who may quickly grow bored without Thread to fight anymore and get into mischief. Lerina was of a mind to focus on expanding their borders, perhaps establishing additional settlements, whether Hold, Crafthall or Weyr.

"She sounds like a woman I won't have any difficulty working alongside should the future give me the opportunity," Lerina observed. "Maybe you can let me in on some of her long range goals...if you are privy to them and permitted to speak of them of course. Otherwise just learning leadership skills from your experience would be invaluable."

@Ember
Ember

Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:55 am

There was no doubt in his mind that his daughter would have an easy time working with Safryn, and it had little to do with the fact that he'd spent so many months, and Turns, doing the same. It was simply a matter of knowing what Lerina was like, and believing the two of them would have a good working relationship with one another as a result. Of course, it was only a matter of time before anything happened, and the waters of such a matter were tested; until then, there really wasn't reason to worry too much about whether there'd be issues or not, even though L'van was of the mind to believe there would be very little to any at all.

With Lerina's questions though, he had thoughts himself of what would come after Threadfall, and he couldn't help but think about his plans for retirement. While he knew full well he should consider it sooner, he was trying so hard to push himself forward, to continue fighting until those days when the last of Thread fell from the skies. He'd been fighting it since it had started to rain down, and he wanted to wait to lay down his sword and shield, so to say, until he was able to see it on its way out. But he was a smart man, and he knew there was a very good, very real possibility that so much in this world might take him down before that chance ever came to pass. He had to be careful, and he was doing his best to be, and yet even he knew that there were some things that couldn't be taken away from fate. If it was meant to be, it would be meant to be.

He gave his head a shake and to cover it up, he stabbed at his eggs and chewed on them while he contemplated Lerina's question, thinking he could make arrangements to question Safryn a bit for his daughter's benefit; besides what he knew already. "I think that would be possible. I know some of what she intends, but there are some things I don't. We haven't quite discussed a lot of things yet, having been busy with other Weyr and political matters," some of which he couldn't very well discuss with her, and hopefully she would understand that. "But I would be happy to see what she might be willing to share with me so that I could bring them to you in return. In addition though, we'll go over regular, traditional leadership matters, since those will be just as important in the Turns leading up to, and following, the end of the Pass."

@LdyPayne

— Ray Bradbury —
LdyPayne

Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:45 am

Lerina nodded, suspecting her father was keeping silent about things he did know but wasn't privy on sharing them, not even with his daughter. Of course she would love to hear everything especially political matters and would keep all such information to herself but she wasn't going to pressure her father to betray the Weyrwoman's trust. She wouldn't like if it their roles were reversed and he was the one pressuring her for 'insider information'. Besides Lerina was certain there were plenty of things she would need to learn to be a good leader regardless of current affairs. Times chanbe but the every day duties likely remained much the same from Turn to Turn and it was those details she would benefit from learning and being prepared for ahead of time.

"As long as she's fine with you sharing such information with me, I definitely don't want to cause any issue between the two of you." Lerina wanted to make that clear, afterall she didn't need to know the plans the Weyrleaders were discussing. "We can focus on regular traditional leadershp matters for now, best to start with a solid grasp of the foundation of leadership before learning what individual leaders bring to the table."

Lerina ate a few more bites of her breakfast then washed it down with some Klah. "Given how often you've been Weyrleader and Wingleader I expect you have plenty of tales to tell about difficult riders or problems needing clever solutions to resolve. Outside of Igen of course, that place is filled with people who's heads are stuck in places a proper Lady would never mention in public, much less to her father."

@Ember / L'van