Welcome Home ~ Tag: Elikos/Loyalty

Not the large stone caverns that Weyr people are used to, these are buildings built on the top of the cliff, sometimes referred to as the Weyr Cliff. These buildings are all the same size, with multiple apartments for dragonriders to live in in each building. Because of space constraints, dragons sleep in large pavilions built around the dragonrider apartments.
Parker
Site Admin
Title: High Ebilness
Pronouns: He/Him

Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:04 pm

Locke watched, but not with judgment, as Elikos attempted to use the silverware the way it was supposed to be used. Neither Finch or Xacke seemed to mind the awkwardness that the newest addition to the table was showing. Finch hadn't been much better when he first got there. Having lived most of his life in this or that slave ring, he was used to being fed gruel and having to eat with his hands. He was finally getting a hang of using forks and knives though.

"This is stupid."

"You get used to using them after a while, Elikos. Don't be frustrated with yourself." Locke said with encouragement. The fact he was trying was good enough for Locke, though he didn't miss the way one of those rolls disappeared into the blanket he was still keeping his hands on. This was just the first day, therefore the child would be given as much leeway as possible as he got used to living in a house with other people and not having to worry about being attacked or worse.

"Don't know yet. Maybe."

"You should stay! It's great here, really." Xacke piped in with excitement. He was a true weyrbrat. Both his parents were riders, so of course, that was what he hoped to be when he got older.

"It is nice here. It's nothing like the Bottoms." Finch added in his soft tone of voice. "I wouldn't go back...not for anything." He said as he gave Locke a look. The wraithrider gave him a warm smile in response.

"The decision is up to Elikos, boys, and we'll support that decision." Locke told his sons before he turned to Elikos. "If you do decide to stay, though, you will always have a place here. However, even Finch and Xacke have their responsibilities, so you would be expected to have some as well. Trust me, it's nothing like what you've done before. Simple things...going to lessons, doing chores, helping around the house, things like that." Locke explained.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
F'lin | Zaynallen | C'sian | Sid'nis | Ao'mek | Lorcan | So'cles | Athaleyah | Locke
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Najden | Darrow | Kisle'vis | Car'vis | Ferghas | Corbin | Calivander | Epiphany

.::..::..::..::..::..
Loyalty
Pronouns: She/Her

Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:13 pm

"You get used to using them after a while, Elikos. Don't be frustrated with yourself."

Elikos body and mouth froze when Locke spoke. Not with fear did he pause in his movements. He was not afraid. He was confused. Analyzing Locke's tone of voice and the expression upon the man's face, along with the words that had been spoken, Elikos tried to make sense of what he'd heard. 'Encouragement' was not understood. He had never, to his memory, ever experienced it before. His gut told him this was something good. It was something that made him feel strange. It was a good kind of strange. Such a simple thing to be encouraged, but if one had never known it before, it needed to be considered very closely.

Unfreezing, he finished chewing and stuffed in a mouthful of vegetables. While he relished the tastes and the fact he was actually having a real meal in a real home for the first time in his life, he considered whether to stay or not. Surely though it couldn't really be this good. This had to be a trap.

"You should stay! It's great here, really."
"It is nice here. It's nothing like the Bottoms."

Looking at both of the other boys over the top of his cup as he took another long drink, he wondered at their level of acting skills. Surely they'd been prompted to play this part to encourage kids to stay. Everything in him told him this was genuine. Even his gut said it was true. And yet, he still held onto his distrust. Nothing could be this good.

"The decision is up to Elikos, boys, and we'll support that decision."

Elikos wasn't too sure he bought that either, but sure. He could play along that he'd have a choice. At least he was being fed nice and given a proper bath. But what would come after, if he did stay? As if reading his mind, the man spoke again.

"If you do decide to stay, though, you will always have a place here. However, even Finch and Xacke have their responsibilities, so you would be expected to have some as well.

Elikos frowned. He knew it! He'd be asked to do bad things, maybe even kill people or lead them into traps or...

Trust me, it's nothing like what you've done before. Simple things...going to lessons, doing chores, helping around the house, things like that."

The frown twisted into a neutral mask. Behind it was disbelief and relief at the same time. Chores, helping around the house, lessons? Well, maybe it still amounted to the bad stuff. You could call beating on a target a chore. Helping around the house could be stealing for it. Lessons? Maybe he would be taught how to kill people. He would be long gone before he'd do that without just cause.

But Finch had said...

Elikos looked to Finch again. This younger lad was from the same place he was. The Bottoms. He's said this place was nothing like back home. And Xacke, he'd been downright excited. The Reaper... Locke, had been from that place too. What could he believe? What was true?

"If I ever want to be gone, I'm taken the blanket." He tested the waters with this statement, to judge their reactions. Pushing it a great deal more he added, "If one of those chores is to kill somebody, I gots to get paid lots for it."

Truth was, he'd not kill anyone, not even for all the money in the world. ....Unless he had good reason and the target deserved it. Maybe he'd killed that man back at the orphanage. Maybe not. But...his true heart didn't matter right now on that subject. It was all about the words now. Actions, reactions. Testing. How would they take what he'd said? Would they be shocked, angry, agreeable? He hoped they weren't agreeable, but if so, at least he'd know this place wasn't so great after all.

[..::|x| Toross ..::|x|::.. Elikos ..::|x|::.. Vikandra |x|::..]

Loot ..::|x|::.. Lists
Parker
Site Admin

Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:28 am

"If I ever want to be gone, I'm taken the blanket."

Locke nodded, "That's fine. Consider it yours. A welcome gift if you wish to call it that." That particular blanket was not an important item to him, so he had no qualms with giving it up. Honestly, if Elikos did decide on going back to The Bottoms he would make sure he went back with enough supplies and skills to make life better for him.

"If one of those chores is to kill somebody, I gots to get paid lots for it."

Xacke and Finch looked at each other. Xacke had a look of confusion on his face. Finch had a look of disbelief on his face. How could he think that Locke would expect them to do those sorts of chores? However, despite both of them being from The Bottoms, Finch had only ever known the life of a slave and not that of a street rat.

Locke gave Elikos a soft and patient look. "No one is going to ask you to kill another. The chores I speak of are ones children are normally expected to do. Clean their room, help clean dishes, sweep the floors, chores like that. I will never ask you, or any of my children, to do something illegal. You have my word on that. It is my job and privilege to take care of you all and make sure you are safe, healthy, and happy." His tone of voice spoke how much he meant that. "That means you will never be expected to kill someone."
F'lin | Zaynallen | C'sian | Sid'nis | Ao'mek | Lorcan | So'cles | Athaleyah | Locke
Najden | Darrow | Kisle'vis | Car'vis | Ferghas | Corbin | Calivander | Epiphany

Loyalty

Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:12 pm

Gifts were never to be trusted because they always came with strings attached. No matter, he'd cut those strings and take it anyway. He didn't need any gifts. Consider it his? He already did. A welcome gift. What for? Who in this world ever cared if he came or went. Welcome to what, where? He didn't understand. No matter. If he left he'd take the blanket and that was that. No need to bust his brain trying to over think all of the confusing bits in between.

Xacke and Finch looked at each other with obvious expressions and body language. He'd been waiting for just that very thing. Locke could act with the best of them probably. He was The Reaper after all. But the younger boys' reactions. They were more believable. There had been no hesitation to set up an act or fake an expression. They were genuine. He could tell.

What Locke had to say brought his gaze back to the man, as finished up the meat and started working on the greens. What reaction would the man have? What might Locke say to what he'd just dared to utter? Knowing the rumors of what The Reaper had done and seen with his own eyes what had been done just this very night, Elikos knew that killing was not a new experience for the man. Would he welcome an apprentice? Did he already have apprentices?

He listened and watched.

The soft, patient look was confusing as he'd not seen the likes of that expression set before and did not fully understand the meaning of. The words were clear though. The tone of voice that was used could be faked but something told him it was genuine. His gut said that this was the truth. He rebelled even the tellings of his instincts. No man could be trusted. No woman for that matter either. No one.

Looking from Locke, to Xacke and Finch and down at his plate to find that he'd stuffed himself full and it was clean, he yawned so widely his eyes were forced closed for a moment. Opening them quickly and seeing no sudden movements to attack had been made by any of them while he'd been 'distracted' and he gave a nod of his head and a simple reply. A non-committal response that could be taken in whatever way might be safest for him.

"Okay, I gotta go now."

He had to go, not because of what was said but because he was suddenly extremely tired. He had to find a spot in this strange place to hide and catch a few winks of sleep before he passed out. He'd had a very weary night. Dropping his fork loudly upon the plate, he grabbed up another bread roll, tucked it into his blanket and wiggled out of the chair to stand. He looked to the exit.

Parker
Site Admin

Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:47 am

Finch and Xacke went back to eating their meal quietly. Xacke was bewildered. Why would anyone, especially another kid like him, think that his dad would ever want them to kill another soul? It just made no sense to him. He chalked it up to the fact that this Elikos simply didn't know his father the way he did. His father was a kind and caring man and a wonderful father. He wouldn't hurt a trundlebug let alone kill another person.

Finch also knew that Locke, Dad, would never ask that of them. Yes, he knew that such things were asked in the Bottoms, but Locke was not that sort of man. However, he had seen Locke kill people, a lot of people, and very skillfully if he was being honest, but he had done that to protect himself and the others. Though, Finch didn't feel worthy of that protection...not after what he had done. That was a secret that would go to his grave. He'd make up what he had done to Locke by being the best son he could be.

"Okay, I gotta go now."

Locke had continued to eat, though his eyes stayed on Elikos as what he had told him sunk in. The kid wasn't the easiest to read, but then no true street rat should be. However, the large yawn was unmistakable. Locke wiped his mouth with his napkin before he too stood to his feet. The look at the exit was noticed. "Come then. I will show you where you can sleep for tonight." He said and gestured for Elikos to follow him back down the hall where the bathing chamber was, but instead he opened the door to a room adjacent from it.

"This is Hope and Faith's room, but since they are spending the night at a friend's place you can sleep in one of their beds." The bedroom was simple. Two beds sat on either side of the room. A nice dresser in the middle, a small desk, and a chest of toys that was mainly filled with dolls and other more girlie toys. "I will get a bed for you tomorrow and put it in with Finch and Xacke, but for tonight I thought you might be more comfortable sleeping in a room by yourself." Locke explained as he turned on a few glows to make the room brighter.

"There is a lock on the door if you feel so inclined to use it." Locke went on to explain. "I obviously I can't stop you from sneaking out of here tonight, but I would ask you to please not do that. I've meant every word I have spoken tonight. You're safe here. You have my word, not just as Lcoke, but as Reaper. Okay?"

Loyalty

Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:05 am

Elikos hesitated briefly. Turning his attention away from the exit to the man, then the man's sons, then his feet seemed to follow of their own accord. Clutching the blanket with its hidden food stash wrapped up inside, to his chest, Elikos moved upon silent feet. Was he going to be shown to a closet? Maybe he could sleep in the bathing room?

The last thing he expected to find was an entire room with such riches as he'd not known in forever. The beds stood out in his mind first. He remembered Locke saying that he had two daughters. There were two beds in this room. Did each child have their very own bed? They did not have to curl up in a corner under a pile of rotting debris to keep warm?

The furniture, the... what were these things? Toys were a foreign concept to him and he did not recognize them as such. With widening eyes he carefully slipped past Locke and entered this miraculous room. The words entering his ears were heard clearly but not believed. How could he believe anyone would give him a spot in a dry corner let alone a bed of his own? No. If this was to happen, what would be asked of him in return? A lifetime of servitude probably. He'd be a slave to Locke and the kids. If he was fed as well as he was just now, every few days, that might not be such a bad life, he surmised.

There was a lock on the door and he could use it? That brought his dark gaze turning to focus upon Locke's face. Was there to be trouble tonight in this home? Was a lock needed? Of course a lock was needed! He kicked himself mentally. He was in a home of strangers. Not just any strangers but The Reaper himself! He did not know how he felt about that. Was he comforted? Was he scared? Was he confused?

Confused. Yes, yes he was very confused. Not too long ago he had been literally hiding in the slime of a gutter. Now he was being offered a real bed to sleep on. A home cooked meal of steak and greens and bread with nothing asked back...yet. He wouldn't have to kill anyone. He would not be asked to do anything illegal. He had mixed thoughts about that last one.

So many thoughts swam through his tired mind until they became a jumble he could not sort through. After scanning the room and the area behind Locke again, his gaze was once more drawn quickly to the man's strong stance. The conviction of his quiet words was like the growl of an untamed beast. Deadly and never to be taken lightly. Locke was The Reaper, the avenger, the savior of good, the terror of those evil. This man spoke to Elikos a promise. It was not Elikos' nature to trust anyone. But in this moment, there was a connection made between him and this man. A connection fleeting but undeniable. Elikos knew that Locke spoke the absolute truth. Elikos would be protected this night.

"I ain't going to leave tonight." He offered quietly. He'd be a fool if he did. "Xache don't know 'bout ya being The Reaper?" He asked as he took his gaze away and to the beds in the room. He was going to be allowed to sleep in a real bed and have this entire room to himself tonight? It was still hard to comprehend. He stopped trying. When he got his answer about Xache, his body could not resist another yawn. His feet moved to one of the beds and he poked at it. Then he kicked one of the legs of the bed with the side of his foot. There were no sounds of rodents scurrying away. That was a good sign.

Sitting down on the bed, the blanket still clutched to his chest he looked to Locke again and knew he had to say something. "Thanks. You know. For kick'n heads in tonight. 'n fur the food n' stuff too. I ain't gonna tell on ya to no body. I owe ya." That included Xache. Let the home-kid have his dreams. No reason to kick his teeth in with the truth.

Parker
Site Admin

Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:16 am

Locke remained quiet as Elikos took in the room that would be his for the night. It didn't take much for him to imagine what was going on through the young lad's mind. While he did not know for sure what sort of living condition Elikos was used to back in the Bottoms, he had a good feeling that he wasn't used to sleeping in a bed that was all his own. Growing up in an orphanage, he was lucky enough to have something warm to sleep on...even if he did have to share it with five other children.

"I ain't going to leave tonight."

"Good. I'm going to take you at your word on that, Elikos," Locke said as he wanted the kid to know that he did have some faith in him. This was his chance to prove that faith well placed. If he happened to leave well...Locke wasn't the sort to give up on children, but that faith would be tarnished.

"Xache don't know 'bout ya being The Reaper?"

Locke pulled out his tin of smokes, placed one in his lips, and then lit it. He shook his head then, "No, he doesn't. He knows that I rescued his siblings from the Bottoms, but he does not know about the Reaper. I prefer to keep it that way if you don't mind." He said before blowing a slow tendril of smoke around his head. The less his children knew of his work the better.

"Thanks. You know. For kick'n heads in tonight. 'n fur the food n' stuff too. I ain't gonna tell on ya to no body. I owe ya."

He gave the young man a warm smile. Those were rare and hard for him to do these days, but occasionally one would sneak onto his face. "You're very welcome, Elikos. Get some good rest. I'll wake you for breakfast in the morning. We'll talk more then. Sweet dreams." Locke wished him goodnight and then shut the door behind him. Xacke and Finch were still finishing up. Once they were done eating, then they'd all clean up before bedtime.

{fin}