A Pause Before Reflections { tag } Kate / A'ric

Not the large stone caverns that Weyr people are used to, these are buildings built on the top of the cliff, sometimes referred to as the Weyr Cliff. These buildings are all the same size, with multiple apartments for dragonriders to live in in each building. Because of space constraints, dragons sleep in large pavilions built around the dragonrider apartments.
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:36 pm

It had been a few sevendays, coupled with a handful of days or so, since L'van's arrival into the position of Weyrleader once again, and he knew he had a decision to make when it came to who he wanted as his Weyrsecond. There were several options at his disposal within the Weyr itself, but he'd been so busy since the flight he hadn't really had time to sit down and consider them thoroughly enough.

It isn't that difficult of a decision. Zenjarth sounded so confident and sure, but then again, he usually was when he was right. More often than not that turned out to be the case.

Without questioning his dragon, the man stood up and went to put on a pitcher of klah, because he had a thought in mind. He could have asked Ay'li to join him in partnership again, but with how their relationship was progressing, having her at his side wouldn't be within either of their best interests. That was nepotism screaming at them, so she was not a good option. Perhaps... he might make an exception if he ever decided to quit trying to lead, but he was far and away from being at that point in his life.

H'tai had been an excellent young man to help urge and grow into a position of leadership, but Ay'li herself had taken over where he'd left off, and he wasn't going to disrupt that chain now, not when he knew he could trust her very capable abilities to help nurture him from this point forward; she had been Weyrleader before, she was more than able to provide him with the lessons necessary to one day take on the mantle should - and it was still a possibility that he would one day obtain it - he ever reach those heights.

That only left one person, and it was the young man he had once been Weyrsecond to himself. The first he had tutored at the Weyr, someone he had taken on as a son once long ago. It had been an age since he'd spoken to him, and it was a grave mistake he intended to correct starting now. He grinned to himself as he stepped away from the brewing klah to also take out a bottle of wine because it would be needed as well.

And sensing his rider's thoughts, knowing full well what L'van intended, Zen called out to the younger bronze in question without the need of speaking to his rider first, so wrapped around where they to one another. Behemoth, would you please ask your rider to come to L'van's office at his earliest convenience? He thinks its been too long since they've spent time together, and that this must be remedied at once.
Kate

Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:42 pm

Dark eyes glanced around, and A'ric couldn't help but just, stare off into the distance for a moment. For some reason, he was more tired today than he normally was, and he had already found himself zoning out more than once. It was not something he was proud of. As a Wingleader, he knew he should always keep his focus, even if everything wasn't going right for him, or for Behemoth. The two of them were a team, and they led this Wing, and made sure they always acted like it. Today though, was different. Even with Behemoth pretty much yelling at him to keep his attention on what he was doing, he just couldn't.

Not that things were bad, it was just, today was one of those days where he kind of wished he wasn't a Wingleader. Sure, he loved the honor and the chance to constantly prove himself, but sometimes, he just wished he had more time to himself. More time for Viktor, more time for Behemoth (besides drills), and more time for hanging with friends. That way of thinking he knew wasn't really the greatest, but it was how he felt.That had been a lot of work, and he had been grateful for the opportunity. It was nice to not have as MUCH pressure now. Then again, there was always pressure. It was the pressure that he and Behemoth both put on themselves.

Finally the drills were over, but now the young bronze rider’s mind was free to wander even more, and it quickly went to Solai and Krios and a frown marred his otherwise handsome visage. No, no he didn’t want to think about either of them right now.

Luckily, he didn’t have to. It was at that point that his dragon broke into his thoights, and informed him that L’van wanted to see him whenever he got the chance. Quickly, Aric told his bronze to relay that he would be there as soon as he got cleaned up.

It didn’t take long, especially since the young man was so eager to his friend. It had been quiet a while since the two of them had sat down had talked. Sure, the man had come over a few times to see Viktor, but there was always something else going on and he could never stay.

Finally, he reached L’van’s office he took a quick breath and then knocked on the door before walking in.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Ember

Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:09 pm

When he heard the door open, L'van smiled and turned to face his friend and adopted son. He approached A'ric, and clasped his shoulders, just looking at him for a moment because it felt as though they hadn't seen one another in too long of an age. For a moment, perhaps two, he stood like that before stepping back, a wily sort of smile forming on his face when his back was turned, only for it to turn into something more soft when he was facing the younger bronezrider once again. "I'm glad you were able to make it so quickly. We haven't been able to spend much time together, and I figured now would be a good time."

He was going to get the official business out of the way first, announce that A'ric was going to be Weyrsecond, then they could settle in and have a nice conversation with one another as friends. He figured it would be better that way, considering dropping it at the last moment just didn't seem right, when A'ric would likely have questions about it too. "First, I'm parched..." He went to his desk, where the wine and glasses were waiting, and poured two, because they were surely going to need to toast after this. Then he held one out to A'ric. "So," he waited until it was taken to continue. "How have you been, Weyrsecond?"
Kate

Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:24 am

Luckily, the young bronze rider knew L'van well enough that it did not really seem weird when he put his hands on his shoulders and just looked at him for a moment. Not that the man did it ALL the time, but, they hadn't seen each other for a while. Each of them had had their own thing going on, so it had just been difficult for them to find time in their busy schedules to get together like they wanted to. While the man studied him, he couldn't help but study the man back. Finally, the older man spoke, and a smile made it's way to A'ric's face. Nodding he said, "Well, Behemoth said you wanted to see me, and Ive been meaning to make time to see you, so I figured I would just come as soon as I could." Smiling softly he laughed, "Yes, this is indeed a good a time as any. I'm just sorry took us so long to make the time, but I know we have both been busy."

Dark eyes followed the older bronze rider’s movements, mostly out of curiosity. Drinks already? Although, honestly, Aric figured he really shouldn’t be surprised by that either. Whenever the two of them got together, there were always drinks. As L’van offered him a glass, the young man took it, studying what was inside. Now, typically A’ric was not a wine man. Usually he was good for ale, or sometimes something a little strong. Bourbon, whiskey. Today though, if wine is what L’van wanted to have, then he wasn’t going to argue with him.

So intent was that thought that the younger rider almost missed what L’van said. For a moment, he thought he had heard him wrong. Then, all he could do was stare at him, a dumb founded look on his face. Finally, he seemed to find his voice, but all he could say was, ”No. You aren’t serious. Don’t play around like that.”
Ember

Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:00 pm

"There's no need to apologize. We've both been busy, and I know you've also had Viktor." He would have to ask how his little "godson" had been doing, since he hadn't been able to visit with him as often as he would have liked. That was going to have to change soon - he missed the little mite. Maybe he could ask K'rios about bringing Norissa with him so the two could play together too. "We'll have to chat for a while before you leave. Catch up, see how one another has been doing. Its been a long time coming."

He hadn't thought it would take long for A'ric to catch on to what he'd said, and it made him grin when the younger man immediately caught on the words. He nodded his head, showing physically that he meant everything he was saying. "I need someone I trust, A'ric. You've been my Weyrsecond before. You know the job, you're a Wingleader, and I'm well aware you're capable of tending to the duties." He held out his hand. "The question is, would you like to accept?"

It was already official in his mind; but it wouldn't be solid until he had confirmation from his friend.
Kate

Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:00 am

Smiling softly, Aric just nodded in agreement at what L’van said. The man had a point, there really was no need to apologize, but the younger bronze rider could still not help but feel like he should. While it was true that the two of them had been busy, A’ric had made no attempt to reach out to the man ho was pretty much like a father to him here. Honestly, it would have been quiet easy to do. Since the older man was his son’s godfather, i would have made for a good excuse to get together. Viktor did enjoy his time with his godfather, and Aric was pretty sure that L’van enjoyed that time too. ”Well, that’s true, but the crèche has Viktor more than I do, even though I always try and find something to do with him almost every day. I know he misses spending time with you. Actually, just the other day he asked me why he hadn’t seen you in a while and I told him it was because everyone was so busy. He then proceeded to make me promise that he would. Be able to see you again soon, which I readily did.”

For a few moments, A’ric could still not get himself to stop just starring at L’van, even when the older man started to speak once more. Well, it was true that the older man said. He did need someone he could trust,and as close as the two of them were, A’ric had to figure that there were other people that he could trust as well. Everything the man said aftee that made sense as well, whether younger man told him so or not. For a few moments, the man could not help but blush at all the praise he was receiving.

Smiling softly, he quickly took the Weyrleader’s hand in his own and gave it a firm shake. ”Of course I will accept. It would be an honor, obviously. I look forward to rocking its you again.” Chuckling softly to himself he raised his glass. ”Well, now I know why we are drinking wine.”
Ember

Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:48 am

There was a soft look on his face, and he looked down for a moment before nodded. He moved over to his desk, hating that he had to make a note for it, but he did. "I'll make sure I make note to go visit with Viktor more often. With becoming Weyrleader again, things have just been... so busy, but it isn't fair to him that I don't go more often. There are many things that have been slipping through the cracks, actually, that I need to take care of before they slip as well." While he was at it, he made a note or two as well, and hten looked up, his face a little brighter at that. "Thank you for that. Perhaps, as I'm always saying, I'll bring along little Nori with me when I visit. It would be lovely if her and Viktor are already little friends from their time spent together in the creche, though."

Then came the time for rank up, and he watched as A'ric stared at him, and he chuckled as the younger man stared at him for several moments before they shared a chuckle. "Aye, now you know what we're starting with wine." He gently urged him to sit so they could enjoy their first cup together, and then topped his off and offered the same to his friend. "But now that we have that all out of the way, I can take care of the paperwork later. You'll remain Wingleader, though I'll have regular meetings with you to discuss the state of the Wings and other Weyr matters. Other than that, it'll be business as usual. Sound good to you?"
Kate

Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:28 pm

For the briefest moment, a frown marred Aric’s handsome features as his friend looked down. Had he made him feel bad or something? If he had, it had obviously been unintentional. ”Honestly I know how you feel. I’m his father and I still don’t feel like I spend enough time with him, even though I try and make sure that I stop in and see him at least for a few minutes every day, no matter what.” For a moment, the young man was silent before he said, ”Sometimes I feel like a terrible father though, ever since Kit and I decided to go our separate ways. I mean, I know we are still friends and work closely, and that Viktor won’t be affected, but it still bothers me. I guess I have this notion that parents should stay together for the child, even though I know deep down that that is not the case.” The younger bronze rider felt better for having said it, but he still felt as though it sounded odd.

L’van’s voice brought A’ric out of his thoughts and he couldn’t help but chuckle slightly. The thought of his son having a friend pleased him very much, especially since A’ric himself had not been one to easily make friends. Although since the child was here, his friends would not be going off to be candidate somewhere else, or so the rider hoped anyway. ”I think that would be really nice. I’m sure Viktor would love it.”

While the younger man was still in shock, he couldn’t not stop the smile that seemed plastered to his face. Listening to his friend, it made the smile even bigger if that was possible. It was nice to know that he would still remain Wingleader of Silver Dusk. While he was excited about this opportunity it was nice to know that he didn’t have to abandon his Wing until a new Weyrleader took over. Nodding eagerly he raised his glass, ”Does that sound good? That sounds amazing to me.”

Taking a sip of his wine he turned to his friend ”So other than busy, how have you been?”