Down to Business -- {L'van / Ember}

Not the large stone caverns that Weyr people are used to, these are buildings built on the top of the cliff, sometimes referred to as the Weyr Cliff. These buildings are all the same size, with multiple apartments for dragonriders to live in in each building. Because of space constraints, dragons sleep in large pavilions built around the dragonrider apartments.
Fawkes
Junior Admin
Title: The Majestic Birb
Pronouns: She/Her, or Birb

Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:18 am

Dinner had been ordered in that night, while the Weyrleaders poured over the expansive amounts of reports that always seemed to pile in around Turns' End, and the orders that would go out after Turns' Beginning. It was as though the whole of the world took inventory at the end of every Turn, and Atricis was no exception. While the rest of the Weyr was preparing to celebrate the next two days off, Safryn and L'van were pouring over hides and papers so they could hope to share in the festivities with their loved ones.

There came a knock at the door, and one of them told them to enter, and the kitchen workers brought in the trays and settled them on the cabinet top against the wall meant just for these late nights in the office of the Weyrleaders. "Can I get you anything else Ma'am? Sir?" One of the young ladies asked before she bobbed her in acquiescence. Safryn glanced over at the bronzerider, quirking a brow at him before glancing at the counter with the arrangement of trays and drinks already. "I think we are quite well, thank you. We'll call should anything arise." The goldrider replied gratefully and smiled at the young woman as she bowed out and closed the door behind her.

Safryn rose from her seat then and moved toward the steaming pot of klah that had been brought in, picking up a mug for herself and a questioning look at the bronzerider, silently asking if he would like one too. Pouring the klah for them each, Safryn opened the cuboard at her knee and withdrew a dark bottle that held a little something stronger to help them through this tedious night. Just a dollop in each mug, just enough for flavor and a hint of reprieve, and she carefully replaced the bottle and closed the cupboard as though it had never been opened.

Carrying the mugs back over to the table, she set one down in front of L'van and then moved to take her seat once, though lingered for a moment, enjoying the stretch of standing for a bit longer. "Did you see the letter from Keetin? Sounds like he's settling in quite well. I thought he might." She said almost absently, knowing the Weyrleader had read the letter as well, but it was nice to talk about more pleasant things instead of the piles of not so pleasant topics they needed to address. The young zultaniterider and his Lauruth had been sent to Ivory Tower Weyrhold shortly after Lauruth's clutch had hatched and she was at full capacity once more.

The weyrhold would not accept a golden hide among their ranks, but they needed the strength of more clutches upon their sands, still a young and growing settlement. She had spoken with Keetin many times since Lauruth's last Flight and broached the subject about sending them as a fertile zulatnite pair to aid their allies and strengthen those ties between them. Safryn trusted the young man, knew he was a fine representative and would do Atricis proud while serving the Weyrhold. He would become their main contact with Ivory Tower and their Leader Maeva, acting as diplomat and courier, which suited him fine as he still had many ties to the Weyr.

It was a tad ironic however, that his sisters' return to Atricis came before his transfer was complete, so the young man had to unfortunately leave her again not long after. However, his transfer, was one of the reasons they could accept Keket and her gold back into Atricis, as the mature females were slowing down with the ending of the Pass, they didn't need as many clutching females in the Weyr either. Let Ivory Tower have the strength of a queen that would Rise more often than a slowing gold, Atricis already had strength in their numbers to lend.

"Ah, and Keket mentioned to me that Lamiath usually Rises in the Summers." She spoke up suddenly, as if the bronzerider had been able to follow her internal train of thought. "So we'll have to keep a watch next Turn to see if Soquilith will show signs of slowing down, or if we'll have dueling queens on our hands. Thankfully, I believe she said it was Late Summers, and Soqui is usually early enough in the seasons... but these changes, we'll just have to be mindful." Safryn mused softly as she lifted the mug of klah to her lips for a slurping sip of the restorative drink.

Only then did she finally sink in her seat once more, tucking a leg beneath her and glancing at the sea of reports and inventories in front of them. A soft sigh escaped her as she gave a glance about her, and her gaze flickered up toward L'van. It was a hard job, a rewarding job though, but it wasn't easy getting everything to line up just right to keep them functioning efficiently and seemingly effortlessly. There was so much they needed to discuss, this business with Igen still needed smoothing over, transactions and requests made with their Nothern allies, and now the whispers about Walled and the Rebellion have grown louder around the Weyr and Safryn wasn't sure how she felt about that.

"If we work hard tonight, we can take tomorrow off, right? That's the idea isn't it? Not that it will work in reality, because when do we ever really get a night off?" Safryn mused aloud, setting her mug down and cupping her hands around it for warmth as she tucked herself into her chair. "At least get an idea how we're supposed to tackle all this, get a handle on these rumors about 'Emancipation', and figure out how to get Igen to stop whining..." She said, knowing that only around L'van could she really speak like this for they've worked together quite a few times over the last few Turns that she felt comfortable enough to speak her mind around the bronzerider.
"You are only given one little spark of madness,
... you mustn't lose it"

ImageImageImage
The Lady . . ~ ~ * ~ ~ . . The Vixen . . ~ ~ * ~ ~ . . The Knight

ImageImageImage
The Matron . . ~ ~ * ~ ~ . . The Joker . . ~ ~ * ~ ~ . . The Princess

Image Image
The Mariner . ~ * ~ . The Spirit

#332500/#C1A00C | #8AA259 | #A8482A | #B69064 | #667A8C | #B72334/#C3C3D0 | #181D68
~ Character Tracker ~ | * Marks Tracker *
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:03 pm

"Did you see the letter from Keetin? Sounds like he's settling in quite well. I thought he might."

He had, and knowing that the zultaniterider was settling into his new home so well warmed him. He smiled, "We should send him something soon, to let him know that we hold him in our thoughts and hearts." Though he hadn't been here when the younger man had Impressed, he'd been around long enough to work with him some during his tenures as Weyrleader. He truly wished for the best for the zultaniterider, and truly wished the best for him. And speaking of the rider's sister...

"So we'll have to keep a watch next Turn to see if Soquilith will show signs of slowing down, or if we'll have dueling queens on our hands. Thankfully, I believe she said it was Late Summers, and Soqui is usually early enough in the seasons... but these changes, we'll just have to be mindful."

Hopefully a scenario like that wouldn't happen; the last thing the Weyr needed was for something like that to take place. He didn't have the charts on him to look and see what patterns Soqi typically flew, but trusted Safryn to know what she was speaking of. "Perhaps things will change up after all? With so many golds in the Weyr now, it may be a matter of things fitting more comfortably for our ladies." He didn't know how it worked for them, wouldn't pretend to even begin to, but dragons sometimes just knew things innately it seemed. "But you're right. As long as we're mindful and keep an eye on things..." As far as Keket went, however... "How does Lamiath's rider seem to be fitting back in?"

"At least get an idea how we're supposed to tackle all this, get a handle on these rumors about 'Emancipation', and figure out how to get Igen to stop whining..."

He leaned back with his mug of klah tightly in his hands and frowned. Walled was an easy enough subject for him to discuss, but he really didn't wish to talk about Igen if he could help it. He was big enough to know that some things simply couldn't be avoided forever though, and on this particular topic, he couldn't help but agree. "Emancipation updates, of course, and... dare I ask what are Aglaia and T'dar bitching about this time?" He had no sympathies for them at this point; if he could cut them off, he would.

Please visit the above link for a list of my current
characters, links to their profiles, to see what
they look like, and find other little facts about them!

[ Marks Tracker | Graphics Shop | NPC Archive ]

“You fail only if you stop writing.”
— Ray Bradbury —
Fawkes
Junior Admin

Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:50 pm

Safryn nodded when the bronzerider mentioned sending a little something to Keetin, and she scribbled a little note to herself on the pad before her. Perhaps something for Maeva too, a little token of appreciation to make sure the Ivory Tower leader doesn't feel excluded in any sort of gift giving. That was easy enough to manage and she'll speak with some crafters soon enough to get an idea of what to send them.

"Keket seems to be settling in quite well, shame it was so soon after her brother left, but I've been told they are keeping in touch still. As for now, I'm still figuring out what role will suit her best, though she's mostly taken up where Isiana left off, and I have a new Wingthird to work with." The goldrider mused as she leaned back in her chair, cradling the mug of klah in one hand and balancing the note pad against her thigh. "They are adjusting well to their new stations, and Rhianwen continues to be the silver tongue of Atricis. She and N'kili are doing their best to smooth over this whole issue in Igen, so you needn't get your hands dirty with them once more." Safryn continued, all at once easing L'vans' worries about his previous Weyr rearing it's ugly head once more and gave him an assuring smile.

"You remember that incident with the chimera rider and the poached candidate, yes? T'dar seems to be the one most grieved and is still making rumbles, but he's agreed to allow the non traditional colors to fly through their territories once more, and talk about opening transfers is still in the works. It's being handled... but our job, is to find out more about the unrest within Walled." The Weyrwoman went on, speaking casually with her colleague and friend, though her voice lowered when the subject changed. Her free hand reached out to pluck up one of those pamphlets that had been making the rounds within their walls, and Safryn read the cover for the thousandth time with a grimace.

"I don't like this L'van... These. Whoever is out there is trying to recruit Atricis riders to help incite this Rebellion, and it sets my stomach on edge." Safryn admitted and set the pamphlet back down on the table and scooted it away, eyeing the sheet warily as it may transform into a tunnelsnake and snap at her. "I have tried so hard to keep us neutral... This is not our culture, not our place to get into the middle of their government and leadership. If the Wallese wish for change, that is their right and it is up to the trio of Leaders to listen, or not... It is not our place to push for one side or another, and I fear that's exactly what someone is trying to do." The goldrider said, lifting the mug of klah to her lips, yet she was reluctant to take that sip, hesitating another moment or two in thought.

"I have always felt like Atricis is a sanctuary for those who need it, and I will not close our gates to anyone from Walled who is seeking refuge, no matter which side they fought on... but I do not condone the idea of Atricis riders getting involved one way or another... We've already dabbled far too much in their lives and brought about this change without even meaning to. We came in on our bronzes and golds, we rocked their very foundations and now I just... want us to be there for them when the dust settles, not be the ones to make that choice for them..." Safryn finished with a heavy sigh and stared vacantly down into the mug, before finally lifting it and taking several deep drinks of it, mostly for the added extra she'd poured into the klah. These were thoughts no doubt L'van had heard before, but thoughts she felt needed to be said again, and again until they became clearer.
... you mustn't lose it"

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

Image Image

#332500/#C1A00C | #8AA259 | #A8482A | #B69064 | #667A8C | #B72334/#C3C3D0 | #181D68
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:12 pm

He didn't like it either. There was someone, whether from Walled slipping in, or Atricis slipping out - perhaps even from some outside source they hadn't even considered - causing an issue among their very own riders. It was something that needed to stop. Atrician riders didn't need to be caught up in this entire situation. "From as long as I can remember, Weyr and Hold issues were meant to be separate, from as long as I can remember, we were meant to be separate from Walled issues, but open to assisting whenever necessary up to a point." But what was happening with the rebellion was not something they needed to be assisting with. They had other matters to deal with, namely Threadfall and a territory to protect. They couldn't be pulling their attention in other directions, and the fact that that riders, _his riders from his Wings_, were being used for something he didn't wholly approve of, did not settle right with him. He curled a hand into a fist and set it on the surface of the desk, letting it rest there as he contemplated it along with her, taking slow and careful sips of his klah so he wouldn't choke on it due to his upset.

"We'll get this figured out, Safryn." He finally managed to say, though his voice wasn't exactly his own; it was tight, ready to snap and break. "Would you like a refill? I need to stretch my legs a moment." He stood and took his mug, waited to take hers as well to the pot in the corner. "We always manage, and we'll manage in the future should this come to a head. For now, we need to worry about our own, and keep an eye on this. Several eyes and ears." What he didn't say, though he could almost hear it in the air, was they needed to be cautious and guarded as well. There was no telling what was happening in their own Weyr anymore.

Please visit the above link for a list of my current
characters, links to their profiles, to see what
they look like, and find other little facts about them!

[ Marks Tracker | Graphics Shop | NPC Archive ]

“You fail only if you stop writing.”
— Ray Bradbury —
Fawkes
Junior Admin

Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:24 pm

The Weyrwoman gave a soft sigh as she looked into the bottom of her empty mug and listened to the bronzerider speak his piece. There was a heat in his voice, a quiet vehemence as he spoke about the separation between Atricis and Walled, but she knew that passion came from somewhere else. She felt it too, the stirring beneath their very feet, the whispers that traveled through these very corridors... it was their home, their riders that were being affected by this turmoil, and yet what could they do about it? There was no proof, no one to point a finger at, and very little they could do to prevent this subterfuge beneath their noses.

Of course they would release a statement, make an announcement that Atricis Weyr is a neutral ally of Walleds', that the political turmoil of the southern Hold is their own decision to make and that aid will be provided, when aid is asked for. Until then, their participation in the uprising will be strictly limited so as not to be seen supporting one side or the other until the matter is settled by the Wallese, and only the Wallese. Anyone found supporting this Rebellion, any rider of Atricis that endangers this neutral alliance that hung by a thread with the powers that be within Walled, will be brought to the Weyrleaders to handle. Anyone with information about these pamphlets should come forward as well, and if their information is sound, there would be a reward in store for them.

Safryn did not want to punish anyone, she only want more information, she wanted to be informed of what was going on within her own Weyr. If someone truly thought the cause was worthy of their aide and support, they didn't need to sneak around through dark corridors or in the middle of the night. They should come and talk to her, and state their case before the Weyrleaders, who were just and reasonable people. Safryn might even agree with them for all she or they knew! If it was something she could manage without infringing on the precarious nature of their alliance with Walled, then perhaps there was something they Weyr could do.

Another sigh escaped her and she glanced up briefly as L'van moved to stand and she absently lifted her empty mug toward him for the offered refill. "We always manage, and we'll manage in the future should this come to a head. For now, we need to worry about our own, and keep an eye on this. Several eyes and ears." She heard him say, and the redhead nodded as she glanced back to the table full of reports, inventories, lists, records and so much more they needed to assemble and sort out before the night was through.

"We'll be ready... no matter what happens." Safryn added with another nod and re positioned herself in the chair. "I'd like to send an announcement though, come the New Turn, and we'll declare our neutrality with this conflict within Walled. Atricis is here to provide relief, and anyone who thinks we should do more can come speak with us directly. I don't want to punish our riders for doing what they think is the right thing to do, I just... wish they could be honest with us about it." The Weyrwoman said with a sigh, and took the fresh mug of klah between her hands once more and smiled gratefully up at the bronzerider, knowing he understood what she meant. They had to be firm, yet gentle, didn't want to spook anyone into further hiding and maybe even encourage them to come forward instead.

"We'll draft something up tonight before we're through, but my mind is troubled enough for now, let us return to something a bit more mundane and monotonous once more, shall we?" The goldrider said, the barest hint of a smirk tugging at her lips though was soon hidden as she took a sip of the hot klah. A slender hand reached out, plucking up the nearest paper before her and gave it a brief read. With a soft huff of a chuckle, and a shake of her head, she glanced over at L'van with an look of exasperation. "Oh goodie, a bill. Sent from Amaryllis for all the grains and lumber they've so graciously provided us..." She couldn't help herself, she had to lighten the mood somehow, they had a whole night of work ahead of them and several scores to settle before it was over.

{Fin}
... you mustn't lose it"

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

Image Image