My Greatest Secret - Ember | K'rios

Not the large stone caverns that Weyr people are used to, these are buildings built on the top of the cliff, sometimes referred to as the Weyr Cliff. These buildings are all the same size, with multiple apartments for dragonriders to live in in each building. Because of space constraints, dragons sleep in large pavilions built around the dragonrider apartments.
Shaihulud
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:16 am

Season - Early Spring (moments after Unpleasant Confrontation)
Time - Middle of the Night (early hours)
Location - Atricis Weyr | Solai's Apartment

With K'rios's help, Solai reached her home, albeit with a throbbing migraine. Once they entered her apartment, she dropped her items by entry way, locked the door behind them, and staggered towards the couch. Into a ball, the greenrider curled, shielding her eyes for a moment as she tried to collect herself.

Faranth, it hurts so much, she mentally sobbed to her beast, though a pitiful sound did escape Solai herself.

Even Scarletto doted upon the greenrider, the ruby warbling with worry and nuzzling as close to her as possible in an attempt to absorb the pain.

It took several minutes for Solai to finally come to herself again, to regain herself, and silence the intrusive voices. Only then was she able to look up to the pewterrider with worn eyes. "Sorry... I had to tune out the voices. It was starting to hurt too much to think," she answered honestly. Though a rare occurrence, it did happen from time to time.

However, no amount of cerebral agony could make Solai forget the events of tonight. There was also a faint hope he might forget about it, the summoning, as well as the pamphlets, the confrontation... everything really... for Solai knew that was not likely, and that she would owe the man some answers. But what did she say? Where did she begin? For now, she prayed he would merely let the matter drop in its entirety so she would not have to speak a word of it.
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:07 am

"Sorry... I had to tune out the voices. It was starting to hurt too much to think,"

While he could understand that, he couldn't understand what she was hiding from him. The pamphlets, slapping A'ric, the behavior outside of the pain and the agony. He deserved answers, she had promised them to him, and if she wasn't going to give them to him tonight...

He went to fetch a couple of blankets, some pillows, from her bedroom, returned a moment later and tossed one of the coverings and a pillow on a nearby chair. Then he used the other to place the soft cushion under her head before placing the blanket over her.

She may not want to thank him for his kindness, and that was okay. Because he wasn't going anywhere tonight. Or tomorrow for that matter. "Get some rest, Solai." He said, hunkering down on the chair. "You can tell me everything in the morning after you've had rest."

He pulled the blanket over himself and looked at her from where he was sat, a brow lifted. "If you think I'm going to forget about this, think again. You promised me an answer, I'm not leaving until I get my explanation."

Please visit the above link for a list of my current
characters, links to their profiles, to see what
they look like, and find other little facts about them!

[ Marks Tracker | Graphics Shop | NPC Archive ]

“You fail only if you stop writing.”
— Ray Bradbury —
Shaihulud

Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:24 am

Even when she was at her worst, K'rios remained at his best as he fetched the items from her bedroom. Solai was only vaguely aware of what he was doing up to the moment when he slipped a pillow beneath her head and tucked the furs about her curled form. For a brief moment, the faintest smile graced her features, "Thank you, K'rios." However, rather than sit with her, the man slipped to the chair next to her and the sofa she rested upon. Dark eyes turned up to the man as she watched K'rios settle into the seat next to her, though in the darkness it was difficult to discern if he was angry at her.

"Get some rest, Solai, You can tell me everything in the morning after you've had rest."

The greenrider swallowed down the sudden ball of anxiety that gathered in her throat.

"If you think I'm going to forget about this, think again. You promised me an answer, I'm not leaving until I get my explanation."

Rather than argue, Solai gave a short nod before she returned her head to her pillow. There would be no forgetting from K'rios, and sooner or later, he would demand the explanation owed to him. Already, the greenrider tried to figure out what to tell him, and how to tell it, but the more she thought about it, the more she flushed with worry of what he might say... or what he might do.

Would he leave her?

She feared the answer would be yes.

Shards, it had only been a handful of sevendays, and already she could not stand the thought of losing him. Solai had never thought she would become so attached to him. If she told him, he would be furious with her, but if she told him nothing, she knew the betrayal, the lies, would not only bring a premature ending to their relationship, but also cause the remainder of it to spoil and decay. She had to tell him.

Thus, in the darkness of her living room, and with little prompt from the pewterrider, Solai uttered her confession: "I'm an abolitionist."

Her heart had never pounded so hard or so fast in all her life.
Ember

Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:34 am

And there he was, sat and concerned that she was involved in something so much worse. He let out a breath he hadn't realized he was holding and felt the corners of his mouth trying to tug in a smile that he wouldn't let fully pull. Not yet, he told his face, not now at least.

He pulled away the furs covering his form and sat straight, then forward, contemplating her a moment before standing and moving closer.

He had to tell her how he was feeling, if not about her, then about what she'd said. He sat on the edge of the sofa and let his hands hang between his legs, looked at her, looked at his hands and shook his head. "One, don't you ever scare me like that again, alright?" That was the first thing he said, his tone lacking the vitriol she was likely expecting.

Then came the second, the two. "And I'm not going anyway, Solai. I'm sure you think I am, but if that's the "worst" thing you have to throw my way, try again. So you're an abolitionist... other than the fact that I now have a reason to worry about you... what should I be saying? That I hate you? That I don't want to be around you? Because those things aren't going to come out of my mouth."

He touched her shoulder. "How am I supposed to respond to this other than how I am?"

— Ray Bradbury —
Shaihulud

Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:46 am

Though she feared upset, and could not stop herself from imagining K'rios's reply, part of knew what she imagined of the pewterrider and who he actually was were not one in the same. K'rios was not the man she feared.

K'rios was not her blood father. And Solai was not her mother.

He was not going to hurt her.

"One, don't you ever scare me like that again, alright?"

Yet for all she expected a more positive response than the one she dreaded, his actual reply still managed to surprise her.

"And I'm not going anyway, Solai. I'm sure you think I am, but if that's the "worst" thing you have to throw my way, try again. So you're an abolitionist... other than the fact that I now have a reason to worry about you... what should I be saying? That I hate you? That I don't want to be around you? Because those things aren't going to come out of my mouth."

How did he know? Despite the ache in her head, Solai slowly lifted herself from the pillow to face him.

The hand he placed on her shoulder was warmly received. "How am I supposed to respond to this other than how I am?"

She lifted fingers up to his hand, and ran her fingertips across the knuckles, only to take the hand and tug the pewterrider towards her. "Come here, K'rios." If he was not angry with her, then he was not allowed to sit away from her like that. There was enough room on her couch for him to join her. Already, she sat up to accommodate the man, so she could rest in his arms instead.
Ember

Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am

He had a feeling of what she was asking of him with those words, with that simple tug of his hands. He went to her, shifting further onto the couch to join her, and shifted as he moved, from his body curling against her, to his legs sliding over her own, he soon found himself pressed against her and the warmth of their bodies rendering the furs useless.

"Better?" His arms slid around her then, a little more firmly at least, while his chin pressed to her shoulder and he smiled. "No, now its better." It was a comfortable situation in his opinion, and he was trying so hard to keep his breath even, to not give away the fact that he was enjoying this far more than he really should. "Is this okay for you?"

— Ray Bradbury —
Shaihulud

Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:05 am

The shifts were agony, but the end result was bliss. Curled in his arms, she felt the sharp edges of her migraine fade once again.

"No, now its better," he spoke as their bodies tangled comfortably together, even despite the thick wherhide of her black flight pants, and the twist of her tunic. Solai paid little mind to that when he held her so close. "Is this okay for you?"

Rather than answer with words, Solai leaned up to kiss the corner of his mouth ever so softly. "Yes," she answered. She settled one hand on his chest to feel the gentle thrums of his heart beat while the other draped along his waist. Still her countenance remained close to his own... A hand reached up to stroke along his cheek, and down the side of his neck. "So you're not angry at me? For lying?" Did he understand why she did it? For Solai, it was critical that he understood why she had kept this secret.
Ember

Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:15 pm

"So you're not angry at me? For lying?"

"Should I be?" He wasn't angry, he wasn't going to be angry, and he hoped it came through in the softer tones of his voice. "I should be perhaps, but I get the feeling there was a need for the edge, and one that you'll explain to me, because as much as you may want to ease your way out of this, it isn't going to happen." In an effort to show that there would be reward for her revelation though, he gently stroked her back, a light, soothing motion. There would be more if she allowed it, that much was promised in the air between them.

"Just don't worry about it right now, or anymore tonight, okay? We'll start fresh in the morning, or whenever we wake up, and then we'll go from there." That much we clear and obvious to him. There were some misgivings perhaps - he wasn't stupid enough to think there was something dangerous about what was happening - but he cared for her, and he wasn't going to back away. His arms tightened around her, and he settled more comfortably on the sofa. "If I start to nod off, you can kick me to the chair, alright? But... I'm rather content right where I am, truthfully, if you don't mind."

— Ray Bradbury —
Shaihulud

Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:41 pm

K'rios offered more assurance that he may have known, and while Solai realised she would need to explain everything by the morning - about her uncle's work, the fact he had nearly been killed once on the authority of the mother, and the dangers she faced nightly for the sake of those who lived in disparity daily - she was no longer worried about any sort of outrage on the pewterrider's part.

This also meant she would have to tell Mul'rec about K'rios... and by extension, A'ric. In turn, the brownrider would desire to speak to K'rios, and Mul'rec never failed to get what he wanted. He would speak to K'rios.

But neither of them would worry about that for right now, not when the sharp aches of her mind slowly dulled, and her eyes grew heavy with sleep. Migraines were draining, even more so after a night of canvassing in Walled. Instead, her mind lingered on the gently caresses that drew upon her lower back. Rather than ask him to stop, her leg slipped over his hips, fitting him perfectly against her as he held her against him.

"If I start to nod off, you can kick me to the chair, alright? But... I'm rather content right where I am, truthfully, if you don't mind."

Rather than immediately answer, the greenrider nuzzled against him, tracing her nose along his dimpled chin and along the gradual slope of his strong jaw. He felt warm the closer her touch brought her lips to his neck. "Hmmm... I don't think I'll be kicking you to any chair tonight, K'rios." She could be held like this late into the morning if their lives would have allowed for it. She exhaled softly, only to breathe back in and catch the spices that clung to his soft skin.
Ember

Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:24 am

"Hmmm... I don't think I'll be kicking you to any chair tonight, K'rios."

He grinned at that, the hand on her back starting to slow in movement as he started to lull towards sleep himself. This was comfort, and peace, and while it would be shaken up come morning, he would take all he could of it for now. "Then I'm not going to complain. Don't think I've had that much of a good rest in the last couple of days, really. Doesn't help that Nori has a habit of crawling into my bed and kicking me in the back when she's over at my place."

Like she had been last night, which had landed him on the sofa. He chuckled and nuzzled against her, "Faranth, but you feel good right now, Solai." He didn't want to tell her how he'd pictured holding her like this for days now, just lazy and soft, comforting and endearing in nature.

— Ray Bradbury —