An Instruction in Tact and Diplomacy - Ember | Dirce

Not the large stone caverns that Weyr people are used to, these are buildings built on the top of the cliff, sometimes referred to as the Weyr Cliff. These buildings are all the same size, with multiple apartments for dragonriders to live in in each building. Because of space constraints, dragons sleep in large pavilions built around the dragonrider apartments.
Shaihulud
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:03 pm

When N'kili heard the woman explain the behaviour of her own 'lizard, the Speaker nodded in approval. Honestly, if Dirce wished to bring her friend with her, N'kili was willing to tolerate it, if only because it would offer Duke a perfect distraction. The brown loved the company of others 'lizards, and often darted about the pavilion when there were flocks of them about. Chase was his favourite game to play, and hide and seek a close second.

"I don't know the relationship between Ista and Igen, other than they were once believed to be tied together. Perhaps they are, and I'm simply unaware of it. I think I might be sharper on Igen politics than Ista, if only because I hail from old Atricis - I know that there has always been a... coolness between the two, I remember that much from discussions between my parents. I was at Tillek when the move took place, but I also recall through news that Igen gained most, if not all, of the old Atrician territory when the Weyr moved South."

Wait, Dirce was from Atricis? As the zultaniterider spoke on, N'kili leaned over the arm of her chair and reached for the stack of hide on the table stand next to her. She leafed through the pages as Dirce spoke on, and when she caught the information of Dirce's origin, she was amazed to see in Solange's own hand that Dirce was from Tillek. For now, N'kili would blame the lack of information on timing, for Solange and Ma'lek were in the process of departing from Atricis around the time Dirce Impressed to Sandalphonth.

As for the rest of what Dirce said, N'kili agreed for the most part, though she already began to note what Dirce would need to be corrected on, especially in regards to her idea that relations were "cool" between them. To put it bluntly, "cool" was an understatement.

"Before we continue, you said you are originally from Old Atricis?" N'kili wanted to clarify the matter before they continued. After several more sweeps of the table at her side, she spotted the pen knife and began to scrape away the error that had shallowly burned into the hide. Privately, N'kili was thankful Solange knew how to make a good ink, for this one was not nearly as caustic as others she had the misfortune of dealing with. It took only a few moments of scraping away the ink that simply spelt Tillek. Once she blew away the parchment dust, she retrieved a quill, dipped it in the inkwell. "How long were you here for? When did you move to Tillek? And why and when did you return?"
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:36 am

"How long were you here for? When did you move to Tillek? And why and when did you return?"

Dirce was polite about it all, though she did wonder about the suddenness of things. Still, she smoothed her hands over her legs and answered the questions asked of her as clearly as though they'd been scenarios acted out just the day before. Some of it made her frown, in fact most of it did, but she was still polite about it.

"I was born in 2020 in Old Atricis and was here for ten Turns before my parents left due to my father taking a position among the guards at Tillek. They were both wherhandlers. In Turn 2041, my parents made the decision to leave for the South and return to their Atrician home, due to missing friends and the Weyr in general. In Turn 2045 my parents and their whers were among those killed by the wild felines plaguing the territory at the time. I came South due to having young siblings that needed to be watched over, and I was the only family they still had."

She heard Sandalphonth rumble in her head as the emotion in her chest started to clench tight, but she promised the zultanite she would be okay.

Please visit the above link for a list of my current
characters, links to their profiles, to see what
they look like, and find other little facts about them!

[ Marks Tracker | Graphics Shop | NPC Archive ]

“You fail only if you stop writing.”
— Ray Bradbury —
Shaihulud

Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:52 pm

As Dirce spoke, N'kili listened, even when the final part stung the opalrider with the guilt for asking. The 2045 slaughter. Yes, N'kili was well aware of it, but she had no idea that Dirce had such a personal connection to it. "My apologies, Dirce" she spoke with a look of unadulterated sympathy in her warm ember eyes. "It was not my intention to bring up such painful memories. We do not have to speak any further on the matter. I will say that regardless of the reason that led you to be here, we are happy to have you here as part of the Atrician family, if Sandalphonth is not proof enough of that."

The Speaker hoped her words reached Dirce, to assure her that she would always be safe in Atricis, even if the Weyr failed her parents.

"Can I get you anything?" Though N'kili could not sweep over the gaffe, she could at least mend it. The two of them would have several meetings as she trained Dirce over the weeks to come, and she wanted to show the zultaniterider that their conversations would remain safe here. N'kili would not bring up her past again, not unless it pertained to their work. It was never her intention to pry other than to gather information typically required of every rider in Atricis.
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:00 pm

As painful as it was to remember still, on somedays, Dirce waved it off when all was said and over with. She didn't want to linger on the memories more than she had to really. "Let's not consider it any longer. That was a long time ago as far as I'm concerned. My parents are at peace, my siblings are happy, and so am I. That's all that really matters now." And really she was, most of the time at least. She had Sandalphonth, and she knew wherever her parents might be, they would surely be happy for her. "A bit of tea would be nice though, if you don't mind. I'm a bit parched right now."

She folded her hands in her lap, and glanced at the hidework on the woman's table, then thought to remark on something. "I'm going to have to thank the Weyrwoman for setting this up for me when I have my next lesson with her. When Sandalphonth chose not to chew, it didn't really hit me then that diplomacy would be part of my new training set. She's obviously on top of things though when it comes to her queenriders, potential or otherwise."

Please visit the above link for a list of my current
characters, links to their profiles, to see what
they look like, and find other little facts about them!

[ Marks Tracker | Graphics Shop | NPC Archive ]

“You fail only if you stop writing.”
— Ray Bradbury —
Shaihulud

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:24 pm

"I'm going to have to thank the Weyrwoman for setting this up for me when I have my next lesson with her. When Sandalphonth chose not to chew, it didn't really hit me then that diplomacy would be part of my new training set. She's obviously on top of things though when it comes to her queenriders, potential or otherwise."

A smile was offered to the woman, pleased to know Dirce was ready for the lesson. Some considered diplomacy a dull affair, but N'kili knew better, and did her best to make sure others knew better as well. This would merely be the first of many lessons, not just with Dirce, but others of her class who stood to be leaders by their own right someday. N'kili only hoped they all learned something from it.

"I am glad to hear that, Dirce," N'kili answered, warmed by the fact Dirce was ready to listen.

She reached over for the pot of tea, and refreshed both their glasses. "I suppose then, we should start with Igen and Ista, for they are first and foremost, one of the most complicated relationships Atricis has..."

{fin}