Out of the Shadows, and Into the Light -- {V'ric/Ember}

Not the large stone caverns that Weyr people are used to, these are buildings built on the top of the cliff, sometimes referred to as the Weyr Cliff. These buildings are all the same size, with multiple apartments for dragonriders to live in in each building. Because of space constraints, dragons sleep in large pavilions built around the dragonrider apartments.
Fawkes
Junior Admin
Title: The Majestic Birb
Pronouns: She/Her, or Birb

Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:11 am

It hadn't been long since they'd moved out of the barracks, yet Daela had wasted no time in turning her modest apartment into her own private sanctuary. For Turns she'd shared her space with someone else, family in the caravan, candidates and weyrlings in the barracks, and now she finally had a place where she could feel herself think once more. When she'd first moved in, the young woman had only a trunk or two of belongings, and yet now given the room to spread out, Daela had perhaps gotten a little carried away.

Everywhere you looked, there was a flare of color with flowers in vases or paintings on the walls, or quirky trinkets upon a shelf that each held a memory, or the accents of her southern heritage with the smells and fabrics. While she'd been provided with the basics, Daela had already made a few improvements since she'd arrived as well. There was a tall bookcase in the living room that had been completely filled with anything she could get her hands on, and in the bedroom there was a large armoire that allowed her to expand upon her wardrobe and daily attire. The curtains had been changed, almost immediately, into something with a bit more color and the intricate patterns so often seen in the garb of the southern dance, a piece of her heart always on display in every room. Daela had worked hard to make this apartment feel more like ... Home.

Since she'd left Walled, this was the first place she could call Home, and whenever she stepped through that door, she felt like she belonged. It was a feeling she hadn't felt in a long time, and it was ... freeing. There was nothing waiting for her in Walled anymore, her mother had barely spoken to her since her Impression, so there was no home to go back to. It had been the hardest letter of her life to write her mother and lie about her candidacy and tell her Israfeth had chosen her from the Stands, and she'd worried for days what the response would be. Mother hadn't failed either, 'disappointed' and 'ruined' were used frequently when describing her reaction and what it would do for their family name. Daela had tried to argue that having a dragonrider and dayhandler in the bloodline would only strengthen the name, yet Mother hadn't even deemed the argument valid enough for a response.

There was no reason to hold herself back anymore then, to keep herself reserved for this other life that had been so meticulously planned for her by her Mother. Israfeth was her life now, Atricis was her home now, where her brother was, where her sister was, where she'd be until the end. Little by little, that refined mask of manners and poise had begun to slip away, and the true Daela underneath began to peek out. Her witty tongue had spoken up more often with a quip and a laugh, or she would volunteer in class when no one else seemed to step up first, and she'd even begun to let down her guard a little and make a few friends of her classmates, maybe even attempt to flirt with one or two of them...

Much of this change though, she knew attributed to Isra's influence and the change that Impression had brought over her, allowing her to feel like a whole new person, lead a whole different life. Daela had been fairly quiet and demure before the chimera had come along with that domineering attitude, and some of that bravado has certainly been rubbing off on the young woman. The rosy diamond dragon was the sort to take charge when no one else will, and encourage everyone else to rise to the challenge with her. It was awfully hard to say No when Israfeth got something in her mind and Daela learned to accept she was just along for the ride, wherever it may lead.

Like today.

The chimera had roused her early enough with a message that someone was approaching the apartment and she'd best make herself presentable. Daela jolted out of bed and quickly threw a robe over her nightdress and cinched it tightly around her waist, making sure nothing immodest could be seen. There was a knock at the door moments later and the young woman answered it with a confused look on her face. "Can I help you?" She asked, quirking a brow at the laborer standing there.

"Yes ma'am, a request was made for a new desk at this apartment. Just came to take a few measurements, make sure we got one of the right size in storage for ya." The young man said, a smith by the knots on his shoulder if the nature of his business hadn't given it away either.

Initially, she'd cringed a little at the use of the word ma'am, but she knew he was just doing his job, and the rest of his words began to sink in. "Pardon, a new desk?" She started, and then felt Isra rumbling with satisfaction in the back of her mind. "And where did this request come from?" Daela added quickly as understanding took root in her drowsy mind.

The smith took a piece of paper from his chest pocket and unfolded it with a deft hand and gave it a glance. "Uh, a rider by name of V'ric looks like." He said, folding the paper and stuffing it back in his pocket. "Where will you be wanting the desk miss? The young man continued, not skipping a beat and just wanting to do his job and get back to the shop.

Daela's heart had skipped beat when she heard the name, not having expected the brownrider to have a hand in this when Israfeth seemed so smugly content. As the smith seemed to step toward her to enter the apartment, the chimerarider took a step back and allowed him in, gesturing toward the blank wall under the window where she'd been planning to put a desk for a few sevendays now. But, how did he? ..... You told him, didn't you? Dae thought, turning back to the open doorway and her brows furrowed slightly as if she could glare at the impish dragon outside.

If I hadn't, you'd still be pining over that empty space for several more days. The draconic voice seemed to chuckle into her mind. Outside, the rosy chimera shifted to better catch the morning rays of Rukbat and the diamonds along her hide glittered with their own radiance. You don't have to thank me, but you should probably thank him, he's the one who picked it out for you. Israfeth continued, her tone still confident and pleased. Shall I tell him when it arrives? The dragon finished with a rumble of mirth as she settled her forepaws primly in front of her.

Daela had stood there dazed for a moment before she seemed to come back to herself and remember there was a smithy in her apartment. She left the door open for now and moved into the room, watching the young man as he measured the height of the window from the floor, and it's width and everything he needed to make sure the desk would fill the appropriate amount of space. I would not, I was going to get one.... eventually. It was the last piece this place needed... and what if I don't like it? How am I supposed to turn it down? ...You're a brat, you know that? Going behind my back, and using him of all people... you just had to, didn't you? The woman silently reprimanded the dragon, while smiling softly at the worker as he moved to the door to measure it as well and make sure the desk can get through.

As if you would have it any other way. Israfeth replied, the few words making an impact and quieting the young woman's mind rather succinctly. There was another soft rumble from the chimera, smug and content with herself while lounging in the mornings' light. Daela barely heard the young man when he said he had what he needed and would back soon with the desk, yet she smiled and thanked him all the same, closing the door behind him with a soft sigh as she leaned against it. They had done this together on purpose, hadn't they? Now, any time she looked at the desk, used the desk to compose her music or even lean against it in a moment of need, she would always be reminded of him. Now, there would always be a piece of him inside her private sanctuary, though it seemed rather fitting since he was rarely far from her thoughts anyways...

Fine, you can tell him when it arrives. Daela said as a matter of factly as she pushed away from the door. Israfeth had won this round, there was no denying that and now that she was up and awake, it was time to get dressed and ready for the day, especially if she was to have even more company soon.

The call came about a candlemark later, when the strapping young smiths had arrived carrying a wooden desk between them. Rumith, my sister dear, would you and yours care to join us this morning? I do believe our riders will have something grand to talk about, and we can enjoy this brisk spring morning until it warms, then perhaps a dip in the lake later? The rosy chimera enticed her clutch sibling, reaching out to the brown who had chosen the one who'd managed to wrap himself around her riders' heart.

This Intoxication Thrills Me,
I Only Pray It Doesn't Kill Me

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

If You Want Something You've Never Had,
You Must Be Willing To Do Something You've Never Done.

#332500/#C1A00C | #8AA259 | #A8482A | #B69064 | #667A8C | #B72334/#C3C3D0 | #181D68
~ Character Tracker ~ | * Marks Tracker *
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:16 am

Rumith had known only a little bit of what was to come. She'd wanted to know what her rider was sneaky-sneaking about, and when she'd finally learned, she thought it was the most romantic gesture ever. The brown had crooned and nestled against him, then pulled away to allow him to confer with Israfeth, her clutchsister through it all, since this was a gesture, a surprise, for the chimera's rider that would shine between the two of them for Daela and she respected that. It didn't mean she couldn't be excited for the reveal, so when Vare told her that the day was finally upon them she'd been excited for it.

When her clutchsister called for her, she chirped in response. I shall let V'ric know at once. He will be most pleased to see your rider, sister. The brown turned inwardly to her rider and called to him, her entire being shaking with her excitement. It's time. Would you like to go see Israfeth's rider now?

Vare chuckled and made sure he was dressed well enough for seeing Daela. I always want to see Israfeth's rider, my love. He grins and when he's ready, he thinks of something, and tips his head. Do me a favor. Tell Israfeth to let me know where to meet her rider. I have something to do before I catch up to her. He left the apartment and shared with his dragon what he intended, certain she would approve of why he needed to create the delay.

When the brown saw into his mind, and caught what he was getting on about, she crooned in approval. She would most definitely buy him time for this! Sister! I shall meet with you soon! But would you let your rider know that V'ric is going to be a bit delayed? He must tend to something before he meets up with her.
Fawkes
Junior Admin

Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:33 am

Daela had busied herself with getting washed and dressed while waiting for the smithy to return, all the while knowing that V'ric would be coming over as well. So, perhaps today was a day where she would add a little rouge to her cheeks, a hint of liner and a shadow of color around her eyes.... and what would she wear? Pulling open the armoire, Dae pondered over the handfuls of dresses and skirts she had acquired and tossed several options on the bed. It took some time to narrow it down, but she hoped the efforts would pay off when V'ric saw her in the emerald green dress. She chose it for the modest neck line in the front, and the coy sway of the fabric just above her knees, and the way the straps crossed over her back leaving most of her fair skin revealed, a tease when she turned away from him.

When the smithys had finally arrived, Daela shoved the discarded garments back into the closet and then closed the bedroom door behind her. Hurrying toward the door, part of her hoped that V'ric would beat them here, but when she opened and saw the workers hefting the desk between them, there was only a slight moment of disappointment. "Come in, please. Just over there, under the window if you don't mind." She said politely, pulling the door open wider and allowing the laborers to carry the furniture inside.

He will be here soon. Rumith mentioned he had something to tend to, but would come as soon as he was able. The chimera supplied upon feeling the hint of disappoinment from her rider and yet couldn't help but pry a little further. So, now that it is no longer forbidden...what are your intentions with Rumith's rider? The dragon asked, as Israfeth was not the sort to beat around the bush, especially when it came to provoking her rider.

Daela felt the blush rise hot and fast to her cheeks, and did her best to duck her head away from the workers, lest they notice her rosy face. Isra! She reprimanded, and took a few deep breaths to calm herself and could feel the heat fading from her cheeks once more. That is none of your business. The young woman started, and could feel the chimera starting to interject. Fine, it is! But I... I don't know yet, okay? I just don't know. Daela admitted with a slightly exasperated sigh, which caused one of the workers to glance up. "No, not you. You gentleman are doing a wonderful job. Thank you. Just there, yes, that's lovely. Thank you again." She said courteously as the men moved the desk into place and deposited it carefully.

They gave her a slight nod and welcomed her, one of them moving back to the door with the job done, but the other still lingered. "There anything else you need miss? I'm real helpful in a pinch, and I can see you're just getting settled. So if you need any other kind of help, I'm happy to." The young man started, a soft sort of smile creeping over his lips as he looked upon her, admiring her dress and the wave of her hair.

"No, thank you. I'm quite alright." Daela said with a cordial smile in return, oblivious in her flustered state as to the look he was giving her, and the offer he'd presented. Instead, she practically ushered him out now that his job was done, and he gave a sort of huff of disregard as he finally stepped over the threshold and she closed the door behind him.

Turning back to the room, she was greeted by the sight of this new piece of furniture, that would tie the whole place together and really make her feel like she was at Home. Stepped forward, she placed delicate hands along the edge of the desk, feeling at the intricate carvings that decorated the borders, and then running her fingers along the smooth and varnished surface. It was surely a work of art, a fine work of craftsmanship, and surely more than she'd ever expected to get on her own and she took a moment to admire the way it looked in her living room.

Well, what do you think? Came the curious voice in the back of her mind.

I think it's lovely, and he chose well. She replied as a matter of factly, avoiding the underlying question in the dragons words.

Not the desk. Israfeth reiterated.

I knew what you meant, and I have no answer for you right now. Please Isra, let things just, come as they may. Daela said, her voice slightly pleading with the dragon to just leave things well enough alone right now. V'ric was dear to her, but she didn't know what to do with that, or where things went now, or how far they would go, or anything along those lines. She... didn't know what to do now.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

#332500/#C1A00C | #8AA259 | #A8482A | #B69064 | #667A8C | #B72334/#C3C3D0 | #181D68
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:36 am

Vare was glad for his dragon's assistance, and for that of Israfeth. Such beautiful girls, so willing to lend him a hand, especially when it involved someone so special in his life. He smiled as he glanced about the field, just outside of the Weyr grounds, and while it would take him a bit to hike it back to Atricis, that would be worth it, especially if this worked out the way that he hoped it would. A part of him thought it would have been nice to bring Rumi with him, if only for her opinion as he worked, picking this one, then that one, discarding something that didn't appeal or smell right. But then he was assured by the brown that he was doing just fine on his own, and this would be a good lesson in romanticism for him.

His fingers were stained a multitude of colors by the time he was finished, from green to pink and yellow, spotted with a bit of red too from thorns he should have known better than to go near - but Faranth, had those blossoms been worth it! - and in the end, he felt as though the flowers in the bouquet he had plucked and put together would make a very lovely looking piece for her to place on top of the new desk she had surely had put into place by now. A grin settled on his face as he considered Daela, the ever present dancer of his heart, and he placed a hand on his chest as it thumped against his ribs, leading him back to the Weyr.

He didn't need to consider where he was going when it would lead him right to her. But first he needed to go to the caverns again. First he needed to visit the glass-smiths and purchase a vase. A pretty one, though it would have to be the most stunning example of craftsmanship to compare to his dancer and what she deserved. He wasn't a rich man, by any means of the word, and perhaps he might not be able to get fancy, but he was going to try and get the best, and when Rumi suggested she pick, he decided to let her see through his eyes when he reached the craft rooms.

Sure enough, she chose something lovely, a beautiful glass piece that displayed flying lizards "dancing" across the sky. As soon as Rumi had seen it, and the way it had made his heart thump at the description, she had known her rider needed to get it for Israfeth's rider. It had taken quite a few of his marks, but he'd been willing to pay for the piece, and so with it he filled the vase with water, placed for flowers inside, and made his way to the chimerarider's apartment. And now, he had to figure out how he was going to give her the present in a surprise way, because that's what this needed to be. A surprise, a loving, touching, surprise.

No it doesn't, my love. She's going to be happy with the present just as it is, because it's from you and your heart. You've already given her a touching surprise. Now give her something that's meaningful without hiding away. She'll appreciate it. Rumi said it in such a way that he could hardly say no to what she was saying, or find a lack of meaning behind her words.

He nodded his head and approached the door in question, knocking and holding the vase in front of him, swallowing down the nerves and holding the vase out as he heard her dainty, featherlight steps approaching from inside. He put a smile on his face before the door could even creek open, because that's what always happened when he anticipated her arrival - nothing but smiles on his face.
Fawkes
Junior Admin

Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:11 am

There was a knock at the door and Daela at once felt both her breath catch in her throat and her heart stop beating for a moment. That was him, who else could it be? Her gaze flickered to the desk beside her and fingers trailed over the smooth surface once more, gentle and lovingly. Doe eyes turned back to the door, that just beyond is the man who cared so deeply for her to purchase and surprise her with such a beautiful piece that completed her Home. She really shouldn't keep him waiting much longer, yet she found her feet reluctant to move for reasons she wasn't entirely sure of.

However, move she did and a slender hand reached out to open the door, her heart beating like thunder in her ears and she swore her face must be flushed like a redfruit with how warm she felt. The first sight that greeted her was not only the handsome face of the brownrider, but the bright and gorgeous arrangement of flowers he held out before him. Already the suculent smells of the bouquet wafted toward her and she breathed deeply, still scenting a whiff of hide and dragonoil, a dragonriders' musk and knew it to be his.

"V'ric..." Daela practically whispered his name, hand reaching up to calm her racing heart and eyes flickering between the flowers and the brownrider, a smile growing on her sweet lips. "You really didn't have to... I mean, the desk was already so wonderful, and flowers too?" She started, leaning against the doorway as she could barely hold herself up as she looked upon the handsome man who kept on surprising her. That was when her gaze traveled even further along the stem of the flowers and down into the vase they were housed in and saw the elegant array of glass blown 'lizards flying and weaving, and her jaw slackened once more. "And the vase! Oh V'ric, you really..." Her voice trailed off as the hand moved from heart to mouth and ever so daintily covered those awed lips.

As if she only just remembered that she was standing there dumbly, the young woman gave a bit of a start and shook off all those girlish giggles, stepping out of the doorway to make room for V'ric to enter. "Sorry, come in, please, of course." She stammered softly, leaning against the door and finding it hard to make eye contact with him lest her blush deepen even further. Take a deep breath Dae... The young woman told herself, and did just that as she took the opportunity while she turned her back to close the door behind him. It was only V'ric, doing what V'ric does and be sweet to her, kind to her, so good to her...

Daela had to take a deep breath to calm those jittery feelings that rose up from her belly. In the back of her mind, she could feel that at someone was enjoying themselves, and Israfeths' confidence tried to leak it's way into Daela. She did find herself standing a little straighter when she turned back to the young man though, reminding herself they were just friends, good friends. Then why did you pick that dress if you're 'just friends'? interjected the mindvoice of a cheeky chimera and Daela felt that blush creeping back into her cheeks. She had chosen something specifically for V'ric, knowing he'd be the only one coming over and suddenly felt as though her bare back was so vulnerable. An arm reached around behind her, her fingers fiddled with the fabric of the green backless dress and wondered if he'd even noticed yet.

"Thank you... So much. For the desk - which is quite lovely and I absolutely adore it - and the flowers! And the vase..." Daela started sweetly, and then as she ticked off the items, her eyes moved to each and felt that flutter in her heart return. "Why do you spoil me like this? What have I done to deserve you?" She found herself asking, without even meaning to, the words just sorta came to be. He didn't do this for anyone else, he was kind to everyone, yet he always had something special up his sleeve for her. Daela knew what was the answer was, she felt the way his heart thundered in his chest whenever she was near, she could see by the look in his eyes whenever their gazes met, and heard it in the way he spoke her little nickname.

It wasn't just her gift that gave him away either... she knew, because she felt it all too.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage