Guitar Lessons - Kate | A'ric

Not the large stone caverns that Weyr people are used to, these are buildings built on the top of the cliff, sometimes referred to as the Weyr Cliff. These buildings are all the same size, with multiple apartments for dragonriders to live in in each building. Because of space constraints, dragons sleep in large pavilions built around the dragonrider apartments.
Shaihulud
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:01 pm

Fuzzy time to late Spring 2047 several days prior to Out in the Open

Wingrider Solai and Green Dragon Tyreth

It did not seem A'ric thought the most highly of himself, and as a friend of the bronzerider, this bothered Solai. Over the months of getting to know the man, and, if she dare say it, befriending him, Solai had come to enjoy A'ric's company.

He had a good nature about him, and always seemed to rise to face the challenges she presented to him. Yet she did not always force the man to endure her little games and teases, for one did not always need to present a shield of bravery to enjoy her company. There were times when she liked to think she knew how to relax and enjoy life on more simpler levels, so she tolerated the little things from time to time that she thought A'ric might enjoy. Fishing had become a favourite pass time, while other times, with a glass of wine at hand, she enjoyed listening to him ramble about his family. She did not always enjoy the conversations about Kitiara... but she tolerated the discussion for A'ric, solely for the fact that the zultaniterider seemed to make him happy at least somewhat. Viktor, however, sounded like a good kid, and even if she had no kids, she had to admit there was something touching about A'ric's dedication to him.

The bronzerider was a good man.

So when A'ric told her one day he was not that good at anything, and confessed to not being the most interesting due to lacking a life outside of the monotonous routines that defined it, Solai thought it was time to prove him wrong.

"Tomorrow, meeting me at my place after drills. I want to show you something," she told him rather than suggested. She knew the man well enough by now to know he would not turn her down, even if she had not fully explained to him exactly what she had in store for him.

The next day, she made her apartment presentable, clearing away the clothes, glasses, and notes scattered across her home. Humble was certainly one way to call her place, scant another. To Solai, however, she loved her home the way it was. Unlike the home of other riders, she did not fill her quarters with unnecessary shit; only the shit that made her happy. She she lacked shelves, and the decorations upon her wall absent, but she did not mind that. When she was ready, she would add to her walls as she pleased, making everything piece in her home meaningful rather than thing that futilely filled a void. Instruments were one of those things, and while she did not litter her home with them, she had several to keep her entertained, especially on those evenings when she played with Ao'mek. Today, however, she had made the decision to play with A'ric. Her intent was platonic of course. She hoped that in teaching A'ric, the bronzerider might feel a bit better about himself. Sure he was cute, but Solai wanted to show him he was more than good looks; he was also a good person.

"There, I think that'll do it. What do you think, Scarletto?" she asked of the flit at her shoulder.

He trilled in turn, to which Solai took the sound to mean approval.

He here yet? she asked of Tyreth. She could have listened for Behemoth, but the bronze had always been the silent sort, never giving the game away.

No, but I'm sure he'll show up soon, the green answered back as she curled herself into her wallow for a nap.

Solai supposed this meant she had time to prepare a snack, so she took it upon herself to make a little something with the fish they caught several days earlier. She had it smoked since then, and thought it might make for a wonderful nibble while she tested his patience by teaching the old dog some new tricks.
Kate

Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:56 am

Sunlight crept into the room, and dark eyes closed even tighter, not wanting to open. Is it really morning already? the dark haired young man thought to himself. Grabbing a pillow, he quickly shoved it over his head, trying to block out the light. Today was the one day he didn't really have to get up, didn't have to do anything if he didn't want to, yet here he was, fighting to stay asleep. Groaning, he knew it was pretty much pointless at the moment. Once he was awake, there was usually nothing he could to to get back to sleep.

Kicking the covers off, he sat up and stretching, yawning ever so slightly. Well, now that he was up, he might as well get himself ready. As he sat up, letting his feet dangle over the edge. A small smile couldn't help but makes it way onto his face. There was only one thing he had to do was drills, and then he had agreed (or rather been told) to meet Solai at her apartment. While he had intended on spending time with Viktor after drills, he decided he wouldn't pass up going to Solai's. Plus, now that he was awake, he could go see the young child now if he wanted.

Putting some actual clothes on, that was what he decided to do. Quickly he made his way to the creche where he spent a candle mark with his son before he had to go to his drills.

Managing to make it through drills, he went and got himself cleaned up, looking at himself in the mirror. While he wasn't vain., he always liked to make sure that he looked presentable at least, no matter what.

Finally he headed out and made his way to Solai’s place, gently knocking on her door and taking a deep breath, wondering what exactly the green rider had planned for tonight. No matter what it was, it was bound to be something good.
Image Image Image Image Image
Isiana & Andromedath | A'ric & Behemoth | K'uavaen & Synsith | Talen & Khonlen | Devyn & Isamuyn
Shaihulud

Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:47 am

After several more details finished around the house, she heard the telling wrap at the door that announced to her that A'ric had arrived.

Is it? she asked of her green as she glanced in the mirror to smooth out her the tight coils and curls. Solai did it not as a show of vanity, but rather out of desire to respect the bronzerider's presence by making herself look presentable. The same with the lipstick she ran across her lips, or so she told herself.

Yes, it is your bronzerider friend.

Scarletto greeted A'ric first before the door ever opened. As Solai crossed her apartment for the door, the ruby fancyflit sat upon the window sill and crooned sweetly to the man in welcome.

Once the door open, Solai stood before A'ric in a floral and white romper. She smirked at the man, daring to even pose in the doorway in her typical teasing manner before she slipped forward to kiss his cheek in greeting. "Glad you could make it," she smiled to him before moving backwards, step by step, until she welcomed him into her home. "I hope you don't mind. I know it's a bit empty, but I'd like to think it works." As she ushered the man in, he would quickly spot the living room with the single sofa, a table... and instrument cases... two of them to be precise. "Would you like some water?"

The scent of food might also tantalise his senses, the savoury smoked fish settling after its recent preparations with the mouth watering peak of spices. She would serve it shortly, only after A'ric settled.
Kate

Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:48 am

For a moment, Aric found himself hoping that he wasn’t super late or anything like that. Since drills always seemed to end around the same time, the bronze rider had pretty much been able to figure out about what time Solai would probably be ready for him to be there. His main worry about being “late” was that his time might have been way off. Taking a breath, he told himself to knock it off, that he was just over thinking everything. Well, actually, that was nothing new. The bronzerider seemed to have a tendency to do that, even though he tried to keep telling himself he shouldn't. Everyone told him that, even Behemoth.

Finally he managed to push that to the back of his mind as he heard something. Looking up, he saw the green rider's flit and he chuckled. "Well hello to you too. You seem happy to see me." Of course, if he remembered correctly, the flit was always happy to see people. It had a nice outgoing nature it seemed like, kind of like the person who took care of it.

Very shortly after he finsihed talking to the flit, the door was opened, and there stood Solai. As she posed, A'ric raised and eyebrow and couldn't help but laugh. By now, he had more orless gotten used to how she was, so this came really as no surprise to him. "Well, when I get invited to come over by you, how is there any way that I could refuse?" Of course he COULD have refused, but it was Solai. He enjoyed being around her, and it wasn't like hehad anyone to rush home to anyway.

Quickly, he made sure those thoughts got pushed away as Solai started moving backwards, allowing the bronzerider to enter her apartment. The young man listened to her, dark eyes glancing around as she spoke. It was quiet bare, but hey, if that was how she liked it, then who was he to say anything? Everyone had their own personal preferences about things. If the young woman did not want many decorations up, that was her choice, and he wasn't going to say anything. Shrugging a little he said, "I think it looks great just the way it is. If it works for you, then that is all that matters."

Smiling softly he said, "Yes please, water would be great." Once he answred her question, his dark eyes once again began looking around the room. After a moment though, the smell of the food reached him and he could hear his stomach give a light growl. Well, he guessed it was only reasonable that he would be hungry, but he couldn't help but hope that Solai hadn't heard it or anything.

"So how did your drills go today?" Probably not the best topic choice, but for the moment, it had been the only thing he could think of to ask .
Isiana & Andromedath | A'ric & Behemoth | K'uavaen & Synsith | Talen & Khonlen | Devyn & Isamuyn
Shaihulud

Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:04 pm

"You're too sweet," she answered A'ric's compliment. Too sweet, too giving in many ways, it was a the phrase that acknowledged and even appreciated the unnecessary flattery given. In a way, it was her odd little way of saying "thank you", though it also had an intention that went beyond a simple acceptance, and was far more endearing.

"Yes please, water would be great."

She gave a playful nod and slipped into the kitchen to fetch his request.

"So how did your drills go today?"

"Well enough," she answered simply. It was small talk, which she took to mean he felt out of his element. Before he might notice, she stole a peek of him from the entry way into the kitchen, and caught the way he stared about the room, taking it all in so to speak. He was like a teenage boy waiting for a date, one who knew not what to do to fill in the void of time between his arrival and her appearance. Even at twenty-eight, the man had a youth about him that spoke of an innocence that Solai had not experienced in some time. Suffice to say, had she not known better, she would have considered A'ric younger than he actually was. She padded back up to him and slipped the drink back into his hands. "Why do you look so nervous? I would like to think that you know by now that I won't bite." With a devious smile, she moved back into the kitchen to serve them both dinner. Cuts of fish were slipped onto the plate, followed by the sides to accompany it, rice with cilantro, and small tubers boiled with salt and garlic. She tied it all in together with a creamy lemon based sauce. "I do hope you're hungry." She moved back out into the living room and slipped the plates onto the small table by the couch. "Let me just get the silverware and my wine. I do really hope you like it," the greenrider teased to him with a smile.

It did not take her long to collect the final items before she slipped to the couch and raised her glass to toast with his own. "To tonight? May we make wonderful music together." With a wink, she sipped at her wine. "Dig in." Shards was she starving.
Kate

Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:10 am

Aric found himself chuckling slightly as Solai told him he was sweet. Well of course he was, and he highly doubted that would ever change. He was just a nice young man all around, and sometimes he liked it and other times he figured it was more of a curse for him. While it had not really happened yet, he knew that eventually someone would try and take advantage of that, and he was not really looking forward to that.

As Solai answered, Aric could feel his cheeks beginning to burn ever so slightly once again. Great, now he was just trying to make small talk like some idiot. He really didn’t understand, and felt as though he was making a fool of himself.

Unfortunately, it seemed as though Solai had noticed as well, which made things even worse in his opinion. Why was he so nervous? Solai was just a friend, that’s all. There was really no reason to be nervous, or act like it. Smiling a little he let out a small laugh, ”Yes, by now I know you don’t bite, I don’t know what is going on with me tonight.”

Taking he water he quickly took a sip and his dark eyes followed Solai as she went back into h kitchen. When she came back with food for the two of them, he couldn’t help but smile, his stomach giving another growl, and yet again he found himself hoping that Solai didn’t hear it. ”This looks amazing Solai, and it just so happens that yes, I am starving.”

As she set the plates down, he walked over and set his drink down before sitting down. Once she was back, he raised his glass in the toast with her, an amused look on his face. ”Music?” There was a bit of shock in his voice, since he had not really been expecting that at all. What did she mean music? He might be able to sing, but not all that well and he most certainly could not play an instrument.
Shaihulud

Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:47 pm

”Yes, by now I know you don’t bite, I don’t know what is going on with me tonight.”

The greenrider had a few ideas as to what it was that stirred about in that male brain of his, but none of which she was willing to put to word just yet. Instead, Solai kept her peace so she might enjoy her food first, and once she settled down with the plates, she nibble on a piece of tuber. The garlic made itself apparent when she bit into the root, stirring a hum of content from her. It was followed by the anticipated lemon zest that accompanied the buttery herbed sauce. Eager for further bursts of flavour, she took in the succulent piece and appreciated it with every chew. Damn, but she could cook.

”Music?”

Solai knew her manners well enough not to speak with a full mouth, thus she took her time to chew, and held up a finger as a motion of patience. "Yes," she answered after swallowing, "Music. You know, the kind you play with instruments." Before A'ric could let himself fall into a state of deeper confusion, she gestured to the instruments she had set aside for them, the large guitar case with the violin case nestled alongside it. The sight of the two instruments made her think of Tyreth and Behemoth when the bronze was willing to let her nap by him, for like the guitar unto the violin, the bronze always dwarfed the green.

The cut of fish proved flakey enough that Solai did not bother with a knife. Instead, she separated the layers of savoury white meat, and mixed it with a bit of rice. "After our last discussion, I wanted to prove you wrong and show you something new. You know... teach an old dog new tricks..." she gave him a teasing smirk before plucking the offered fish and rice from her own fork.
Kate

Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:04 pm

The bronze rider had not hesitated to dig right into the food, although, of course he did it without looking like a person who didn't have manners or anything. Biting into it, he couldn't help but smile. It tasted as good as it had looked. Honestly, it was some of the best food he had ever eaten. After he had taken a couple bites, he smiled at his friend and said, ”You have really outdone yourself this time Solai. This is some of the most amazing food I think I have ever eaten.”

Slight confusion was still showing in his eyes, but at Solai’s signal he forced himself to be patient. He had not meant to ask her a question while she had her mouth full. Finally she was able to answer him and for a moment he just stared at her in a bit of shock. ”Me? Learn how to play an instrument? Well I, guess I could take a shot at it as long as you promise not to be too dissappointed if I can’t get it.”

The bronze rider knew that he probably shouldn’t be thinking like that, and he quickly scolded himself for it, especially when he heard the next thing the green rider said. The young man could not fight back a small laugh. "Oh, so now you are calling me old huh? Now come on, that's not very nice." Of course his tone was light and teasing and he quickly cut himself another piece of his fish and popped it into his mouth, savoring it while he waited for an answer.
Shaihulud

Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:19 pm

”You have really outdone yourself this time Solai. This is some of the most amazing food I think I have ever eaten.”

Solai gave a smug smile in turn, pleased by his enjoyment. In all honestly, it was her father, Ma'lek, whom she owed her cooking skills to. Her mother lacked the skill, for her focus had always been academic and diplomatic, but her father was raised by a kitchen worker, thus his mother taught him right. In result, Solai gained her knowledge from him, learning how to perfectly sear a tender cut of meat, and when to know the oil was heated just enough for a fillet of fish.

”Me? Learn how to play an instrument? Well I, guess I could take a shot at it as long as you promise not to be too disappointed if I can’t get it.” With his next words, however, she chuckled. "Oh, so now you are calling me old huh? Now come on, that's not very nice."

"I never said that," she coyly replied... with a wicked smile. "I've always believed age is just a number. When you're old, it's because you've resigned yourself to a routine and refuse to try anything new. Not saying that's a bad thing... but you were resigning yourself there for a bit, which I honestly thought was a shame since you aren't even thirty yet. You're too young to be an old dog."
Kate

Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:41 pm

Dark eyes did not miss the smug look that came to the green rider’s face, and the bronze rider just playfully rolled his eyes at her, shaking his head playfully as well. Of course, he had actually half expected her to do that, so it had not come as all that much of a shock really. Teasingly he said to her, ”If you are going to be all smug about it, remind me not to compliment you too many times, don’t want t going to your head now, you know?” Of course he would still compliment her and everything, he was just trying to play back with her. Hopefully he would be able to keep up today. Usually he couldn’t but then there were sometimes where he surprised himself, and her with his quick retorts.

Oh again with that smile. This one wasn’t smug, but it was one he had seen on her a time or two before. Shaking his head and laughing he said, ”Ok maybe you didn’t call me old, but you insinuated it.” Of course he knew she probably really hadn’t, but it was always fun to tease her. As he listened though, a small smile genuine smile came to his face.

Taking s moment, he thought about what his friend was saying. Had he really been resigning himself? Looking and acting older than he really was? There was a part of him that did not quiet believe, but a bigger part of him did believe it. Nodding he said, ”You are right, I AM too young to be an old dog”

Blushing a bit he took a moment before he continued, ”Thank you for thinking of something for me to do, I really appreciate it.”