To Be a Dragonrider (standalone)

Not the large stone caverns that Weyr people are used to, these are buildings built on the top of the cliff, sometimes referred to as the Weyr Cliff. These buildings are all the same size, with multiple apartments for dragonriders to live in in each building. Because of space constraints, dragons sleep in large pavilions built around the dragonrider apartments.
Shaihulud
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:42 pm

Senior Apprentice Harper Angela
Evening of Turns Beginning Day at New Atricis Weyr

Though Angela often prided herself on her ability to adhere to the well laid out plans of her life, there were times when she faltered. The Impression to Apollo and Daphne had invoked such a time, leaving the girl to sit in silent rumination on the couch of her familial living room late into the night. Curled by the arm of the couch, she looked affectionately upon the lightning patterned marbled jade hide of Daphne balled up along the apprentice's belly, and gave her delicate back a stroke of her thumb. To Apollo, however, Angela could not help but pore over his hide, which Angela could only describe as unfettered sunlight accented by the stars of a moonless night. When she reached to his mind, offering every ounce of love her heart could afford, she felt a warmth reach back before he curled tightly within the shelter provided by her small hand.

She loved them both.

Emalia and Solai had abandoned her some time ago after it became evident Angela had resolved to spend the rest of the day with her new family, yet their departure was missed almost entirely by the youngest who now marvelled over her brood. When her parents awoke to find their daughter, they congratulated her on her willingness to move past firelizards. Her father pecked her brow with a warm kiss, before he left for the kitchen to prepare her a warm brunch for her neglected belly, while her mother wrapped arms about her and admired the hybrids along with her own horde of firelizards and fancyflits. Yet after satisfying brunch, and a gentle afternoon with the entertainment of her father plucking away at his guitar as he enjoyed his pipe, even her parents departed to enjoy this new turn day, the first of many ahead of them.

Still, Angela remained.

When she had Impressed to Allegro turns ago, Angela realised she had been far too young to appreciate the union. In the turns to follow, Allegro's company was fleeting at best, leaving Angela sour over her attachment to him. She became bitter over her sister's own bond with Ciri, a fancy flit who hardly ever left Emalia's side. No matter his odd, and what Angela considered unsettling, appearance, Angela quietly admired his dedication. Now, Angela knew what it felt like to be truly loved and depended upon by another. Inevitably, it renewed her desire to Impress to a dragon.

For the latter half of the day, Angela debated over her future. Initially, when she pinned her apprentice knots to her shoulder, her parents asked her to first gain her journeywoman knots before entering into the candidate barracks. At the time, Angela made the promise to her parents, believing she could easily wait until she had accomplished the base education of her craft. As the turns passed, however, the girl's impatience began to chip at her promise for a weakness that might allow her to escape the obligations of her oath. For turns, her promise endured, but with the latest hatching, her recent transfer to Evanoria, and her Impression to the hybrid siblings, Angela's determination to keep her promise had begun to deteriorate. In the hours to follow, it was this realisation that began to eat way at her. Part of her felt like a failure, but the other part of her realised her purpose was to Stand and Impress. Unlike Emalia, she desired not to be a harper. Instead, she longed to become a dragonrider.

Plagued by the conflict of destiny against loyalty, with her mind still raw from the Impression, Angela found it all too easy to cry. She managed for most of the evening to hide her distress from her family, but by the nightfall, Tsunath could no longer disregard the inner turmoil of her rider's daughter. Reaching out to Solange, she roused her bonded from sleep to speak with Angela.

"Sweetheart, you've sat here all day," her mother greeted her daughter with concern. The goldrider joined Angela on the couch and set a hand on Angela's ankle. "You want to tell me what's wrong?"

The girl did not immediately concede, but instead clad her tongue in determination to keep silent and strong... but her mother was a patient woman with a gaze of warmth and understanding. Angela had neither the will nor desire to keep secrets from her mother, especially as the woman continued to be a source of support that Angela could always depend on. "I-I..." she tried to speak, but suddenly felt the overwhelming fear of rejection. What if she hurt her mother? Her lips trembled as her mother sat in waiting, giving Angela the time she needed to speak. "I don't want to be an apprentice anymore, Mama," she began as the tears rolled down her cheeks. "I want to be a candidate. I want to be a dragonrider."

Rather than show any indication of anger or grief, her mother reached out to cup her cheek. "I know sweetheart, I know you do." She opened her arms to Angela, and without hesitation, Angela fell into them with a sob. It was in that moment, rocked in her mother's arms, that Angela came to realise her response to the Impressions of Apollo and Daphne had merely been a symptom of her greatest sorrow: she belonged in the Weyr, and she needed to join the barracks. All she could do was cry with the revelation, and all the while her mother loved her no matter the drive of her heart. Such strong feelings were enough to rouse the hybrids, though Angela did not remember the moment when they left her hands to curl on either side of her neck in support. When she finally felt the warmth of their presence, she found the strength to voice the burden that weighed upon her heart.

"I don't want to go back to Evanoria," Angela finally gained the strength to say those fatal words. She pulled back to regard her mother once more, to see the woman's disappointment.

It would be a lie if she said she saw none, but Solange replaced it quickly with the support and love for her daughter. "Are you sure, Angie?"

The girl nodded. "I want to stand." There was even a hatching in the near future to look forward to, a chance to try her luck and find her lifemate. "I'm ready to stand."

Her mother nodded her head. "Then... if you're sure this is what you really want, you should stand."

And yet still it was not enough for Angela. She had to know the truth. "Do you still love me?"

The woman offered a loving smile to her daughter. "Of course I do. I'm proud of you, and whether you become a harper or a rider, I will always be here for you." With love, her mother embraced her once more, rocking her daughter with promises that on the morrow she could see the candidate master and join the barracks. Later, Angela would come to realise that her mother had always recognised her daughter's desire to be a dragonrider. It only fueled her sense of destiny, and her will to stand.

{fin}