Out In The Open -- {A'ric / Kate}

Not the large stone caverns that Weyr people are used to, these are buildings built on the top of the cliff, sometimes referred to as the Weyr Cliff. These buildings are all the same size, with multiple apartments for dragonriders to live in in each building. Because of space constraints, dragons sleep in large pavilions built around the dragonrider apartments.
Fawkes
Junior Admin
Title: The Majestic Birb
Pronouns: She/Her, or Birb

Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:36 am

The zultaniterider sauntered into her apartment with a heavy hang of her shoulders. Dropping her straps and gear outside the door, she silently promised to get to it later, after she'd had a chance to relax for a least a little while after an entire day of Drills.

"Did you really have to put us through that formation, four times?" The woman said, her tone slightly serious yet mostly joking as she glanced back to the bronzerider who stepped in behind her. "J'vir wasn't that far out of line the first time, and the third time was perfect... yet you made us do it again." Kitiara added with a smug sort of smirk on her face as she slumped down onto the cushions of her favorite armchair.

Booted feet worked without the help of her hands as she kicked off the boots and stuffed them under the klah table, which promptly became her foot rest. Leaning back into her chair, she let out a soft sigh of relief as she closed her eyes for the moment, soaking in the fact that they had nothing to do for the rest of the evening.

After a bit, listening to A'ric shuffle around and make himself comfortable also, mossy grey eyes fluttered open once more to look up the bronzerider. They had made a comfortable sort of routine for themselves over the last few Turns, showing up to work for the Wings, and then going home and spending some quality time together. How long had it been? ... Kit found herself retracing her steps and thinking back to their first... encounter.

Lennoth's Maiden flight, 4 Turns ago, was when Kit had found an excuse to seek out the bronzerider before he could lock himself away, and ended up sharing the Flight with him. From there, Flights seemed to become their thing, and sometimes even just when they felt like it. At first, it hadn't been anything too serious, with Kit these things were rarely serious... but as time went on, she found out she was pregnant, and A'ric was the most likely of fathers. Once they'd had a kid together, things had changed into something... more. She was still Kit, the Vixen, but more often than not, she'd chosen to spend her time with A'ric instead of some random pretty face. While she still enjoyed the random dalliance from time to time, she certainly had a favorite in the bronzerider.

Now, they had a routine, work and drills, then home to relax - more often than not with each other. It was... comfortable to say the least, something that vaguely resembled a 'family' of sorts between the two riders and their son. It was... strange for Kit though, a woman who'd prided herself on never getting attached, on keeping herself removed from sentimental value in a relationship. She was a woman who'd been burned once more, and she had vowed never to let it happen again. And yet, here they were, in the comforts of a Home and Family.... yet Kit had to wonder how far she'd really let herself go. Did she care for A'ric? Of course, he was friend, confidant, lover, partner, father of her child, she would always care for him. ... Did she love A'ric? .... Of that, she couldn't say, wouldn't say, and didn't even allow herself the chance to think about it.

"So, what did you want to do tonight?" She asked, quirking a brow at the bronzerider as she swiftly changed mental gears and got herself away from that train of thought. He was a good man, and he deserved more than she could give him if she couldn't even ask herself how deep her feelings for him went. "Same thing we do every night?" The zultaniterider added, smirking ever so suggestively at the handsome man, stretching out just a little more to taunt A'ric.
This Intoxication Thrills Me,
I Only Pray It Doesn't Kill Me

Safryn ~* *~ Kitiara ~* *~ V'an ~* *~ Ay'li ~* *~ Elysia ~* *~ Kent ~* *~ Isolde ~* *~ Omri'vis ~* *~ Daela
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Weyrwoman || Wingsecond || Weyrling Asst. || Wingleader || Wingthird || Wingrider || Weyr Guard || Strikeleader || Candidate

If You Want Something You've Never Had,
You Must Be Willing To Do Something You've Never Done.

#332500/#C1A00C | #8AA259 | #A8482A | #B69064 | #667A8C | #155710 | #969696 | #181D68
~ Character Tracker ~ | * Marks Tracker *
Kate

Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:36 pm

Rolling his eyes playfully to himself, since Kit wouldn't see, A'ric dropped his gear right next to hers, rolling his shoulders back and stretching a bit. Man, he had never been this sore after a drill before. Ok, well, maybe that was a bit of a lie. When he had first started drills after Weyrlinghood, he had cursed for hours at how sore he was. Once he got used to it though, it never bothered him. Today though for some reason, he was sorer than he had been in a while.

Following Kit in the door, he just offered her one of this grins to her and shrugged. "Come on, you know the old saying, practice makes perfect. Once we got it right, I wanted to run it again so we knew exactly how it would feel." Shrugging a bit he just left it at that. By now, he knew Kit was only joking, or, in any case, wasn't being completely serious.

Sitting down in his chair, dark eyes looked over at the zultanite rider, and he smiled softly. Kit looked so peaceful with her eyes closed, resting, that the man could not help but stare for just a moment. No matter how many times he saw her like that, it was always nice to see her so at ease. It was hard to think that it had been 4 Turns since the first time they had been together, during a Flight no less. And Viktor was 3 Turns old already. How time flew.

Family. That's what this was. Well, at least that was how the bronze rider saw it. The two were not Weyr-mated, or married or anything of that nature, but he still considered them a family. Leaning back, he smiled softly to himself, liking the sound of that. Unfortunately, as much as he loved the sound of it, there was part of him that knew this wasn't a "true" family. Hell, if he could, he would ask Kit to marry him. His feelings for her had only grown more and more, but he tended to keep them to himself. As much as Kit had calmed down, A'ric knew she still went to other guys sometimes. Most of the time it didn't bother him, but lately, he had been wondering if the two fo them could be, more..

Now, he had yet to mention this to Kit, mostly because he wasn't really sure he wanted to know the answer. One would make him very happy, and one might tear them apart. Could he risk that, with Viktor being in the picture? Kit's voice brought his attention back to her.

When he looked over at her, for a moment, his breath caught. Kit did NOT play fair, ever. For a moment, all the bronze rider could do was stare, as per usual. Instead of letting himself get caught up in it though he pushed that away. Frowning a little he ran a hand through his hair, letting it come down to his neck and rubbing it a bit. Well, here went nothing. It was time to figure out where they stood. "Well, actually, I was kind of hoping we could, well, talk."
Image Image Image Image Image
Isiana & Andromedath | A'ric & Behemoth | K'uavaen & Synsith | Talen & Khonlen | Devyn & Isamuyn
Fawkes
Junior Admin

Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:10 am

"Well, actually, I was kind of hoping we could, well, talk."

Kitiara paused a moment as she stretched out her lithe frame, hovering a moment in her chair before she returned back to a more comfortable, lounging position. "Aw, but where's the fun in talking?" The zultaniterider teased, though there was something that tugged inside her, wondering what the bronzerider wanted to talk about. "Alright, alright, we'll just talk for now... but first!" The darkhaired woman said, raising up her hand as an idea popped into her head.

Slinking from her chair, the woman sauntered over into the dining room and to the corner hutch where they kept the good stuff. Opening the cupboard, she browsed the contents of it, contemplating over which bottle and even snagged up one or two to give them a closer inspection. Finally, she decided on one and pulled the bottle free and taking down two wine glasses to go with it. Bringing them back to the living room, the woman set the glasses down on the klah table and begin to work the cork out. "If we're going to have a quiet evening of 'talking', then might as well enjoy a glass or two of fine Benden red to go with it." Kit said with a smile, popping the cork just a little for the effect of it.

Reaching over, she poured each of them a glass of wine and then offered one to A'ric and took the other for herself, lifting it to her lips for a savoring sniff and sip. With a satisfied nod, she leaned back into her chair once more and cupped the glass of wine in her hands as she regarded the bronzerider with her full attention now. "Alright then, what did you want to talk about?"

Safryn ~* *~ Kitiara ~* *~ V'an ~* *~ Ay'li ~* *~ Elysia ~* *~ Kent ~* *~ Isolde ~* *~ Omri'vis ~* *~ Daela
Weyrwoman || Wingsecond || Weyrling Asst. || Wingleader || Wingthird || Wingrider || Weyr Guard || Strikeleader || Candidate

#332500/#C1A00C | #8AA259 | #A8482A | #B69064 | #667A8C | #155710 | #969696 | #181D68
Kate

Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:12 am

Dark eyes continued to watch Kit. Farnath, he never got tired of looking at her. Usually, every little thing she did could just drive him crazy, so normally he would probably have never mentioned talking, but this time, the reason he wanted to talk was just weighing on his mind too much. The teasing tone in Kit's voice brought his attention back to her, and he just shrugged innocently. Yes, he knew she didn't like talking, but he'd really never asked her to have a deep conversation before, so it was probably long overdue. The bronze rider let out a breath that had hadn't really known he had been holding when Kit agreed to talk. A big part of him knew she would be fine with it, but there was a tiny part of him that had wondered if they would talk or not.

Dark eyes watched her as she got up, a questioning kind of look in them. What was she doing? Had she not just said that they were going to talk? Studying her for a few moments, he chuckled a bit when he realized what she was doing as she grabbed some wine. Kit did always have a thing for wine. A'ric did mind it, but he usually drank ale, or something stronger. As she sat back down and poured the wine, he smiled softly. "Ok, I guess you're right. We might need some wine for this."

Picking up his glass, he took a deep breath, trying to gather his courage up to. Knowing these needing to be done, and actually wanting to do this were two different thinks. Dark eyes glanced at Kit and he frowned for a moment, taking another sip of the wine before finally continuing. "We, need to talk about, us. I've just been thinking about it a lot lately, I just want to know where we stand." Ok, so that was kind of more than to the point than he wanted, but, that was better than just beating around the bush, or not saying anything at all, right? Studying her for a moment, he just hoped this wasn't going to blow up in either of their faces, or anything like that.
Isiana & Andromedath | A'ric & Behemoth | K'uavaen & Synsith | Talen & Khonlen | Devyn & Isamuyn
Fawkes
Junior Admin

Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:21 pm

Kit had a pretty good feeling, that yes indeed they would need wine to go with this conversation, for she knew the sort of depths she was sure they would be exploring and she needed a hint of the liquid courage to get her through this. So when the bronzerider got right to the point, she was not surprised and instead took the opportunity that the a sip of the wine offered her before she would respond. The woman was not oblivious to the Turns they've spent 'together' and the inclinations of the heart, and she'd known from the start that A'ric was more of the romantic sort. This had been a long time coming, and she was more surprised that it hadn't come sooner...

Well, I like to think we have a pretty good thing going here." The zultaniterider said, sitting up a little more in her chair to face the man proper. "I mean, we have a great working relationship and the Wings' strong... and then, we get to come home and enjoy some off the clock entertainment." Kitiara continued, her lips curling into her usual coy smile for A'ric before settling once more. "We have Viktor, and he's a good kid... I like to think I'm doing a bit better the second time around, and pretty sure I have you to thank for that." The woman added, giving the bronzerider a knowing look before she glanced away and rested her elbow on the arm of the chair.

"That's not what you mean though, is it?" Kit asked, mossy grey eyes flickering back to meet his own gaze, and feeling the way her whole body seemed to begin to flutter or twist inside her, nerves gnawing at her. She was not immune to the Turns either, her own heart hadn't been as unaffected as she claimed it to be, yet she'd tried to go down that road one time and she'd found only despair. For her, that path had been ruined and even the sweet man that was A'ric - kind, dependable and sexier than anyone had a right to be - couldn't convince her otherwise.

Kate

Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:06 pm

While the bronze rider would have probably preferred two fingers of whiskey or something, instead of wine, he wasn’t going to complain. Right now, any kind of alcohol would probably help him through this. While Kit took a sip of her wine, he did the same. This conversation was one he did not want to have at all, mostly because he figured he already knew how it was going to end, and it wasn’t the way he felt like it should, but there was really nothing either of them could do about it.

The zultaniterider’s voice quickly brought the young man out of his thoughts, and back to the actual conversation at hand. Smiling softly he had to admit to himself that agreed with everything Kit said. They worked well together, and in Aric’s opinion, the Wing couldn’t be better. They all worked smoothly and everything just seemed like a well oiled machine. As she mentioned Viktor, and how she felt she was being a better mother this time, he could not help the small smile that came to his face. Kit, wether she believed it or not, was a good mother. Aric was glad she had already been through this once because as good of a dad as he tried to be, this was his first child and while he never talked about it, he hoped he was doing a good job raising him.

Dark eyes looked at her, and he could not stop the frown that came to his face, and he shook his head a bit. ”No, unfortunately that’s not what I meant. I wish that was all, but it’s not.” Farnath Kit did not know how much he wished they did not have to have to do this at all.

Taking another sip of his wine, the bronze rider tried to gather himself and his thoughts. ”I care about you, you know that. I would even go so far as to say I love you. The problem is, over the Turns, I have come to know that you might not exactly feel the same way about me. I don’t blame you for that or anything, I know it’s just how you are. I feel like we shouldn’t keep kidding ourselves. Unless of course I am not right in my assessment. You know I don’t want this to happen, but I feel like something has to change at some point. I hope that doesn’t sound too selfish or anything, that is not my intention.”

Oh boy, now he was rambling and he knew it would only make it harder and that wasn’t his intention at all. Taking a breath he finished with ”I don’t want to hurt you, or Viktor, you know that. It’s why I’m doing this right now.” After he finished he took a sip of wine, but his dark eyes never moved off of her while what he had said sank in.

Fawkes
Junior Admin

Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:31 am

When he confirmed her suspicions that this conversation was going deeper, Kitiara gave a slight nod of acquiescence. She knew this was bound to happen sooner or later, and it was best to just get it all out in the open and lay it on the table, and the woman knew where this would lead. Inevitably, it would come down to either they were an item, a relationship, a family, or they weren't... and Kit knew which way it would lead.

As A'ric spoke up, she listened patiently, feeling the worms wriggling in her gut as the nerves gnawed at her belly and she tried to quiet them with another sip of wine. The bronzerider cared about her, deeply, even loved her and knowing that caused a little piece of her to crack inside, but she wouldn't let it show. You love him too... came the soothing voice in the back of her mind, yet it only caused more confusion in the woman's heart. Of course I do, I'm not impervious you know. But, that's not the sort of love that he's looking for from me... Kit replied, a hint of somber in her tone as her gaze cast downward while listening to A'ric go on about how guarded her own feelings were. Even though he said he didn't blame her, it was all her fault this conversation was even happening, her fault she'd even let it go this far, this long...

You don't have to do this, you could let him in, let him stay. Susanoth tried once more, a part of her hoping to see her rider happy with the bronzerider, maybe even more than they had before. If only... if only the woman could see passed the past, and look to the future with someone that wasn't going to break her heart.

You know I do though. I can't Susa, and you know why. I can't go down that road again... The zultaniterider said, doing her very best to swallow the sob that threatened to rise in her throat. It was not what A'ric had said, it was the memories that came haunting back, and she had to shove those unwanted thoughts aside. I know, but I had to try, for you... You will always have me. The zultanite rumbled softly, caressing her riders' mind with soothing and calming thoughts, giving her the strength to carry on.

When A'ric had finished, Kitiara took a relaxing breath and pushed herself up and out of the chair. In just a few steps, she'd moved to join him on the couch and settled herself down on the cushion beside him and took one more sip of the wine before setting the glass aside. Turning to him, she reached for the bronzeriders' hand and held it tight within her own for a quiet moment, and mossy grey eyes flickered up to meet his own sky blue ones. "I care about you a lot A'ric, I do. You can't spend Turns living beside someone without caring a great deal about them, and worrying about them, and loving them. I will always care about you A'ric.... but you and I have known for a while now that I can't give you what you're really looking for." Kitiara started, rubbing her thumb over the back of his hand affectionately, and though her words were sad, there was the softest smile on her lips for him.

"It was wonderful while it lasted, we make a good team together, and always will... but you're right, something has to change." The woman continued, giving that large hand a gentle squeeze. "You deserve something so much more, someone who can give you what you're looking for, someone who will give you their heart and everything that comes with it. I wish I could be that one for you, but my heart is damaged goods and you deserve a pure heart." Kit said as her smile widened a little further and she even raised his hand up to her lips, placing a delicate kiss to his knuckles, last little signs of affection for a lost love. "You're a good man, a wonderful man A'ric and you should live a wonderful life filled with lots of love and happiness.... and several more little munchkins, because you make really cute kids." The zultaniterider said, a soft chuckle escaping her as she smiled at A'ric, hoping her words had already begun to ease his worries and fears.

Kate

Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:58 pm

Per usual, as the zultaniterider moved over to sit next to him on the couch, the young man found his eyes glued to her. Even after these past few Turns, he still had no idea how she did what she did to him. Quiet honestly, it had scared him at first, because he had never really felt his way about any woman before her, but now he was a bit more used to it. Sometimes though, when he least expected it, she still got to him. This time, he knew she wasn't even trying to get his attention off the subject or anything, but it still almost worked. While he was glad that they were talking, part of him knew what would happen if Kit actually started trying to distract him.

Smiling softly at the gentle touch of her hand taking his, he couldn’t help but give hers a squeeze back in return. Everything felt so familiar, so good. For a moment, the thought of why he was even doing this ran through his head. As her voice reached him, it made him frown just slightly once more. Kit's voice drew his attention back to her in an instant. When she said she did care about him, a small smile came to his face, and once again, he questioned why he was actually having this conversation with her. She spoke again and he sighed softly, nodding. Kit knew herself best, and she cared about him, that's exactly why she was letting him go too. "I know. Even though I know, I still feel bad, but I feel better knowing that nothing is really going to change and you'll still have my back in the Wing and raising Viktor."

Taking another sip of his wine, he squeezed her hand back once more. A small frown marred with otherwise handsome features as the woman continued to speak. Taking a breath he said, ”You know, you deserve to be happy too. I mean, I know I make you happy, and who knows. Maybe something will change and you will find someone better than me.”

Chuckling at the next thing she said, a small blush crept onto his face and he ran a hand through his hair and down around the back of his neck. ”Well I have to admit, you make pretty cute kids as well.”

Gently he took his hand, bringing it up to his lips and gently kissing it, as he had so many times before. ”I feel a bit better about this, but I still wish that this could have worked. I hope you know that, and how much this decision was NOT easy for me.”

Fawkes
Junior Admin

Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:50 pm

Even as she said it, even as she told him this could be never be what they wanted it to be, she could feel her heart breaking all over again. It was... different this time though. There was a happiness beneath it all, a joy and freedom that came from this breaking, a knowing that this was not the end of them at all, merely a fresh beginning. There was no abandonment, no separation, no arguing or hurt feelings, just a line drawn that they knew they could never cross over together.

His hand squeezed hers in return, and she knew that no matter what happened, they would both still be there for each other, still care about each other, but now they were free to carry on with their own lives. A'ric deserved that, and honestly she'd been surprised he'd stayed as long as he had with her when he could have found someone else long ago. Secretly though, she appreciated the Turns he'd given her, the connection they had would never be broken because of the time they'd spent together, the lives they'd built around each other. It would be weird for a time, not coming home to the bronzerider, or those strong arms enveloping her and those tempting kisses that pulled her in. However, it was not as though he was lost and gone forever either.

"I know. Even though I know, I still feel bad, but I feel better knowing that nothing is really going to change and you'll still have my back in the Wing and raising Viktor." It was as if he could read her mind, and she smiled up at him. "I will always have your back, with the Wing, Viktor, anything you need. You've still got a friend in me A'ric." She assured him with a soft smile and squeeze of her hand in his.

”You know, you deserve to be happy too. I mean, I know I make you happy, and who knows. Maybe something will change and you will find someone better than me.” He added, and Kitiara had to chuckle softly under her breath, her lips curling ever so impishly. "I highly doubt there is a man alive that is better than you...and if you couldn't mend this broken heart of mine, I don't think anyone could." She teased the man, her tone growing a little coy but she gave his hand another squeeze. "But that's okay, don't you worry about me, I like it better this way... No strings attached, remember?" The zultaniterider said with an old familiar vixen smirk on her lips for the bronzerider.

”I feel a bit better about this, but I still wish that this could have worked. I hope you know that, and how much this decision was NOT easy for me.” The woman reached over with her free hand to lay on his arm as well, giving him as much reassurance as she could that she knew these pains all too well. "I know A'ric, I know... I wish it could have too, but I'm just... not that person anymore, and you deserve someone who is." She said softly, leaning in to place a tender kiss upon his rugged cheek. Kit felt a tug inside her chest, a sweet sorrow that crept into her heart and she settled back against the couch and lay her head softly upon his shoulder, lingering in these final moments as long as she could.

"You don't have to leave right away, do you?" Kitiara asked, her voice soft and just barely above a whisper, a hint of vulnerability in those words. Though realistically she knew he could not just disappear on her, there were things to move back into his apartment, and they'd still see each other with Viktor... she just couldn't bear the thought of him leaving right now either.

Kate

Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:27 am

A soft smile played on his lips and he couldn't help but feel just a bit more relaxed, if that was possible at a time like this. "Well thats good. If you didn't, I'd have to think that I made a mistake in picking my Wingsecond. As for a friend, and mother of my son, I most certainly couldn't have found anyone better." Of course, as usual, there was a teasing tone in his voice. For some reason, his voice seemed to be like that a lot around Kit. Not that he, or she, really minded. It was just something he had noticed for a while.

Of course, the next thing the zultaniterider said made him blush. Again, a habit he had around her, although he was proud to say that he was slowly getting over that. Honestly, A'ric never thought of himself as THAT good of a man. A good man yes, but not a great one, or anywhere close. Everyone had their flaws, and he knew he did as well, although, according to what Kit was saying, he seemed to have less flaws than some other men. Kit continued, and it made the bronze rider want to frown. "Well, what you say may be true, but it won't stop me from hoping that someone might be able to do it." Honestly, he just wanted her to be happy, and hopefully a man would be able to make her happy. If not, as long as she was happy, he was happy.

As she spoke, about what he deserved, he just remained quiet. By now he knew that there was no point in arguing with her. Feeling the familiar weight of her head on his shoulder, he gently kissed the top of it. As he heard her voice, and quickly kissed the top of her head once more. "No, I don't have to leave."

Since it seemed like she was very vulnerable, A'ric decided to stay the night, and whatever happened, would happen probably for the last time. Or at least, for a while anyway. The night would not tell on them.

FIN