Turns in the Making - Rhianwen | Linnea

Not the large stone caverns that Weyr people are used to, these are buildings built on the top of the cliff, sometimes referred to as the Weyr Cliff. These buildings are all the same size, with multiple apartments for dragonriders to live in in each building. Because of space constraints, dragons sleep in large pavilions built around the dragonrider apartments.
Shaihulud
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:02 pm

Yes, her mother.

"What even happened, Inez? If you are well enough to speak of it..."

It seemed Rhianwen had only heard bits and pieces of the original story, which meant it was time for Inez to finally bring up the past. Lips pressed with worry, and for a moment Inez debated if there was a way to avoid the inevitable. But truth was truth, and truth had proven a key necessity in the answer Rhianwen asked for.

"Cador is not my father," Inez finally confessed. "Brownrider Mul'rec is... and I've known of this for some time now." Perhaps she might get away with that simple explanation, to obfuscate exactly what she meant by "some time". Yet Rhianwen was a clever woman, and Inez would not put it passed Rhianwen to piece together that which remained unsaid.

Linnea
Pronouns: Any: He/Him She/Her They/Them

Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:36 pm

It was easy to make connections after that. Rhianwen knew well the pride of a Lord Holder, knew well the threat a man in power could hold to the livelihood of a woman that had threatened it.

"...until my mother regains herself." That was what Inez had said. If Cador had found out, it was no wonder things had gone south so very fast.

It was a blessing only Hesidor had died. Though, for Hesidor to have died rather than added to the anger...had he known? It felt like Rhianwen's questions had been answered and yet begged more.

"It is good you all escaped," Rhianwen said with a strained voice. "I am glad A'rosious could help." She cleared her throat and turned to her tea, taking a deep breath of its scent as she sipped before letting it out, slow and soft, when she lowered the cup once more. The questions all crowded against her throat, but Rhianwen held them back, mulling each one carefully over for its usefulness in this situation.

How long? pressed hard with the memory of Inez's curiosity regarding the brownrider whenever Rhianwen mentioned speaking with him. It could sound to much like blame if given priority, however, so Rhianwen bit back harshly on it.

"I can imagine your impression to a dragon so similar did not improve things when Cador found out," she said, instead. Puzzle pieces were beginning to come together, but there were parts that did not quite seem to match up with the imagine Inez's short answer attempted to paint.

Shaihulud

Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:52 pm

How long would it take her to piece it together? Inez could have clarified if she desired, but she knew Rhianwen would manage to put two and two together. As children, Inez and Rhianwen had spotted Mul'rec from a distance at a gather, his eyes hemmed to Inez's movements through the crowd... even after Inez spotted him. They did not share words that night, but even then, their eyes linked across the distance and Inez knew. For all the turns it took for Inez put voice the truth she knew as a child, still... she knew.

And if Inez knew, so did Rhianwen.

"I can imagine your impression to a dragon so similar did not improve things when Cador found out."

Lips pressed together, bitter at herself most of all for not trusting Rhianwen with the truth all those turns ago. "Cador always knew I was a bastard, Rhianwen... and he had Mul'rec imprisoned for cuckholding him back when he resided in Benden. Impressing to a brown sired by Galuth himself, knowing I deceived him... that I had established contact with Mul'rec, resided in the Weyr... he finally realise what I've always known-" she looked to him, and for the first time, the tears sheened in her eyes and beaded upon her lashes "I'm my father's daughter."

She could not even bring herself to touch her tea.

Linnea

Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:27 am

So she had been the only one in the dark. Her hands shook and the cup and saucer clattered in her hold until she set them down. Years of silence, of half-hidden tears and secrets began to fill in their cracks. The puzzle sat before her, complete, and Rhianwen wanted to break it. Turns ago, Inez and she had distanced themselves when she gained a dragon and rediscovered her ability to speak with all of their kind. Inez had dared to suggest Rhianwen was keeping secrets from her all while Inez had kept this.

Rhianwen knew, she knew that her secret, if she'd known it, wouldn't have risked permanently ostracizing her from polite society, wouldn't have risked her and her family's lives and standing. If it were some other lord's family, Rhianwen's gift might have even been celebrated. But that didn't stop the sense of betrayal that had been lapping at her ever since Inez began her halting explanation. Rhianwen clenched her fists in her lap. She couldn't think about this right now. She couldn't fall into her anger. It could ruin everything that lay so fragile between them, gossamer threads that could be broken with even the slightest movement.

So Rhianwen locked it up, deep within her heart, with the promise to look at it again at a better time. A time when Inez was not crying before her.

Rhianwen pulled her handkerchief out and twisted at it as she considered, quickly, the pros and cons of making use of it, but Inez's tears were a thing Rhianwen had always, for how infrequently they had shown themselves, found impossible to ignore. She reached out and pressed her handkerchief to Inez's cheek, carefully drying the tears that fell there, though watching for any sign her efforts were unwanted.

She gave a small smile in an attempt to comfort. "From what I know of Mul'rec, and what Cador has turned out to be, I can't consider that resemblance a complete shame," she said, instead, offering acceptance and, hopefully, a touch of humor.
Shaihulud

Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:00 pm

The rapid chatter between the cup and saucer betrayed Rhianwen to Inez. Though she set the items down to silence them, it was too late. Inez heard the secrets they traded about the goldrider who sat before her.

Yet upset as she may be, Rhianwen set her hurt aside to tend to her love as she had always done. Rhainwen touched her cheek with cloth, and ears with humour, but it all seemed lost on Inez. Rather than take in the comfort, the brownrider burned with guilt for the fact she failed to trust the one constance in her life. For as long as their lives had intertwined, Rhianwen proved herself a true confidant. Inez entrusted her with the the most mundane and the most dire, and yet this one thing that defined Inez's existence, the very nature of her own parentage, she withheld from Rhianwen, and led her her own lover to believe a known lie.

Fingers reached up to hook about Rhianwen's comforting touch, to pull it away thus denying herself of the one cure to her sorrowful regret. "You don't have to coddle me, Rhianwen," Inez reassured her. "I know I was wrong not to trust you." In a rare display of culpability, Inez took responsibility rather that shift blame onto another as she had so easily done in the past. "I was scared, but I should have trusted you. That is my fault."

Finding out her entire life had been a lie, Inez could not bring herself to swallow that truth, not for turns, not even after Mul'rec confronted her. So if she could not have accepted the truth about herself, how could she have expected Rhianwen to do so? And yet therein lied the error of her logic, the fact she allowed herself to believe so little in Rhianwen.
Linnea

Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:20 pm

Inez's fingers burned against her skin, the way she'd known it would and would likely continue to do for a time. Touch had been so frequent between them and then there had been nothing. It would take time to acclimate to its presence again in whatever form it may take. Rhianwen didn't withdraw from it, though.

"It's not as if it's only for you," she argued. Inez had long been her confidant, but there had been times enough when Rhianwen hadn't confided until she'd come to a decision or the situation had resolved itself. Rhianwen knew it could annoy Inez when that happened, but she liked understanding her part in the situation or her feelings and thoughts first. If she knew herself, then she was rooted well enough to weather any storm. Rhianwen had spent turns dealing with the gale Inez had left behind, had finally thought it might be ending, only for it to turn back around and hit her full force from a different side. She felt off-kilter and unmoored. It would be too easy for Inez to knock her over with the smallest push.

And therein lied the problem. Rhianwen did not trust Inez with that level of instability anymore. She did not trust herself with it, either, though, to be frank, she never really had. Rhianwen dropped her gaze to watch her fingers twist into her handkerchief, clenching her hands around the fabric in her lap, withdrawn fully from Inez's person and touch. "I think we will be having a lot of conversations to come," she said, "and I believe certain conversations are best left for one of those later dates."

Saying those words was like getting a weight off her chest. It sat out there, in the air, for Inez to react with as she please, but Rhianwen had at least made her position clear. She did not think they were at a point where they could discuss everything in a productive manner. She found it easier to look back up at Inez at that and face the other part of what she had said with a comforting and grateful smile. "But I appreciate the thought and apology," she said with a sigh of forgiveness. "And you are right that at least some of it was in consideration of you."

"Everything has suddenly turned on its head tonight," she admitted. She was exhausted and overwhelmed. It wasn't even that late at night--she would be up for a while, still, if she were at the feast, but she could already feel the night tugging at her eyelids and weighing down at her shoulders as her crumbling emotional resolve sapped at the last of her flagging energy. "I'm so glad you and your children and your mother are alive and safe. I think everything else may take some time to digest."
Shaihulud

Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:30 pm

So confused by their current circumstances, and consumed by guilt, the distinct feel of Rhianwen's touch was lost on the brownrider... yet the touch itself was not. Rather than retreat from her, Rhianwen's hand stayed close, giving Inez permission to seek an old comfort. From her wrist, to her palm did fingers shift, cupping the goldrider's hand lightly to feel the glimmer of warmth that they once shared.

But for all Inez recalled the old comfort of touch between them, Rhianwen's words were not lost on her. Yes, they were both at fault for being so withholding, though Inez quietly admitted Rhianwen had received the brunt of the blame between them. Inez wanted to say as much, however it seemed all their past injuries were to remain in the past, at least for the mean time. Rhianwen was right to say nothing would entirely be resolved tonight. They would speak of this for some time, struggling to learn how to trust one another, if such a thing was possible after all this time.

When the goldrider's exhaustion became evident, Inez decided not to overstay her welcome. Later, with clearer minds and clearer hearts, they would have plenty of chances to make amends. From there, Inez could only guess what might happen, but she would try to prove herself, to show Rhianwen the turns had only made her a stable force opposed to the irrational one she had once been. She was rooted in Atricis, now and always, thus at Rhianwen's side would she remain no matter what happened between them. Patiently she would wait... days, weeks, months... turns... how ever long it took for Rhianwen to either accept her once more with open arms or cast her away, but so long as there was always a chance, Inez would always be ready take it.

{fin}