Turns in the Making - Rhianwen | Linnea

Not the large stone caverns that Weyr people are used to, these are buildings built on the top of the cliff, sometimes referred to as the Weyr Cliff. These buildings are all the same size, with multiple apartments for dragonriders to live in in each building. Because of space constraints, dragons sleep in large pavilions built around the dragonrider apartments.
Shaihulud
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:17 am

(continuation of Here, Here!)

Forgiveness... it was a gift seldom given by Inez herself, thus she could not hide her relief when Rhianwen gave it to her so freely. She would have kissed her then were it not for the sudden hesitation shown on Rhianwen's part. The circumstances of their company had finally caught up to the goldrider, and for that Inez knew to listen. Rather than press her, the brownrider slowly began to step back. Let the world think of them as only friends if they wished. Inez knew where she stood with Rhianwen. The goldrider's touch upon her forearm was not missed, and with a brush of her own fingers upon Rhianwen's wrist, Inez acknowledged the loving gesture.

"I got a letter from Bretta. I heard about...-" she gave pause to collect herself after her voice withdrew for a breath "-I heard about Hesidor," she whispered, "but no one had any news about you. I was so worried."

Rather than answer, Inez decided it was best to save the discussion for less conspicuous location, where fewer ears might drink up every word spoken between them.

Briefly, did she acknowledge Dirce, though the zultanite was the least of her concerns. It was for this reason that Inez was relieved at Rhianwen's following suggestion.

"Shall we go to my apartment? I feel any further discussion should be kept for greater privacy."

Inez gave a nod of her head. "Yes. We should go." Rather than let Rhianwen lead them, Inez took it upon herself to snake a path through the brush of bodies. As she led them, the brownrider attempted to formulate her words, her explanation of the events that transpired over the last few turns. Inevitably, the matter of Mul'rec would have to be addressed, though Inez was not exactly ready to think about that man just yet.

And then there was the matter of Iorveth.

I doubt she or Lennoth will be upset with the fact I had the audacity to break my shell and find you, Iorveth snorted into her thoughts. Already she felt the sensation of the air collecting beneath his wing sails on his descent. He had taken it upon himself to meet them near the entrance of the Dining Hall. If she is angered by your Impression, then you might want to reconsider the rationale of your affections for her.

I am more concerned about the fact I lied to her about, Mul'rec, Inez pressed back to the brown. My Impression to you is a part of that lie.

I am no lie. I am as real as you, as is our bond together.

His thoughts together managed to stir the faintest smiles upon her round features. Still, Inez could not simply surprise Rhianwen with the existence of Iorveth. "I... must warn you, Rhianwen... I Impressed back in Benden from the stands. Iorveth is waiting outside for us." The weight of her brows spoke of apology, though Inez said nothing more as her graceful steps took led them outside to where the massive brown awaited them.

Even in the darkness, his size was clearly seen. The trunks of the brown's pale limbs caught the light from the glows in the corridor, while his dark, upper half was silhouetted by the moonlight. A giant creature proud of his stature, Iorveth fanned out his wings as he approached the two women. Let her see him. Let Rhianwen recognise the brown for the massive beast he was, one who surpassed most of his bronze antagonists, and exceeded even Lennoth's own immensity. The large wedge of his black head snaked down to regard his rider's former lover with massive facetted eyes that refracted the light of the corridor with an emerald sheen. So you are Rhianwen, the brown interjected into her thoughts. As you've likely guessed by now, I am Iorveth.

Inez gave a shake of her head. Be good to her, Iorveth, she warned her beast. "My apologies for his behaviour. He can be... brutally candid most times."
Linnea

Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:13 pm

The moment Inez took off through the crowd, Rhianwen was after her, any regrets of leaving Dirce forgotten and left to be retrieved at a later date. For now, it was Inez that held all of Rhianwen's attention, just as she always seemed to have whenever the other woman was in her presence.

She caught up to Inez near the door and Inez explained to Rhianwen about her impression before continuing outside where an immense brown met them. Rhianwen stared up at him in surprise. "I had seen the knots, but..." Rhianwen looked over to Inez and chuckled. "I should know by now to trust that it would only be the biggest or best for you."

Iorveth introduced himself then and Rhianwen turned to nod her head in greeting as his name clicked with the new brownrider transferred from Benden. Rhianwen frowned, as that rider's name had not been Inez. "Iorveth, it is a pleasure to finally make your acquaintance," Rhianwen said in turn, though her mind still mulled over the fact that Inez had transferred under a false name. It would be yet another question to ask or another part of Inez's story to hear. Rhianwen could make neither heads nor tails of it on her own.

Instead, she sighed and thought back to the brown's words that had echoed so solidly in her own mind. "You see," she continued speaking with Iorveth, answering the brown's concerns in a way that would not seem too much like she had been listening on a part of a conversation she might not have been meant to hear. Inez might remember she heard dragons, but that did not mean she nor her brown were comfortable with Rhianwen hearing half of their conversation. "Inez has been longing for you for turns before your shell had ever formed. I cannot even be angry that it took us parting for her to finally find you." Rhianwen's fond smile lifted to the Weyr's heights. "I have my own partner and know very well how true and deep that bond runs."

Setting aside the brown's posturing, Rhianwen turned to Inez. Under other circumstances, she might tease further, but it had been turns since they had parted. Rhianwen had changed. Inez had certainly changed. And their shared footing was rocky at best. Besides, it was answers Rhianwen had requested and answers Inez had taken action to give. "Shall we continue up? Lennoth is without her straps tonight, so I had originally had one of the weyrlings on elevator duty bring me down."
Shaihulud

Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:37 pm

"I had seen the knots, but... I should know by now to trust that it would only be the biggest or best for you."

The very sound of a jest managed to successfully court a smile from the femme brownrider. "Why say 'yes' to less, when you can always patiently wait for better?" Inez answered back with the faintest tease tugging at her reply. Rhianwen had always known her well enough to recognise Inez as a plotter, sometimes a ruthless one. Yet since their initial departure from New Atricis all those turns ago, something in Inez had begun to transform, reshaping her from a malicious girl into a wiser and more understanding woman. That was not to say the malevolent facet of her character had disappeared entirely, but it did not shine as blindly as it once did.

Iorveth, however, remained a pristine reflection of her former self. Rather than regard Rhianwen with a gaze of understanding, he judged the woman before him with a mind whet by sharp criticism.

"Iorveth, it is a pleasure to finally make your acquaintance. You see, Inez has been longing for you for turns before your shell had ever formed. I cannot even be angry that it took us parting for her to finally find you. I have my own partner and know very well how true and deep that bond runs."

He blinked at the word "angry", for he was far too clever for her little games of feigned ignorance. He was also fully aware of the capacity of her mind due to information passed on to him some time ago from Inez, which Rhianwen had only now reaffirmed. She could hear him. Do you often enjoy dropping eaves on private conversations? he asked of her, though the tone of disapproval was distinctly absent from his remark.

His rider chuckled softly. "Don't mind him. He's normally a brute, but he has been known to show a sense of humour from time to time -" no matter how dark or dry it might sound. Inez walked over to give the brown a sweet kiss to his forearm, which he answered with a rich croon.

"Shall we continue up? Lennoth is without her straps tonight, so I had originally had one of the weyrlings on elevator duty bring me down."

"I often do not ride with straps around the Weyr, but if you trust me, we can ride up on Iorveth," Inez smiled sympathetically to Rhianwen.

The brown courteously lowered down and offered a pale forearm to assist them as they mounted onto his shoulders. As he made the offer, he reached out to Rhianwen. I can assure you I am not in the habit of dropping humans, no matter how much they annoy me.

Before Rhianwen might take offence, Inez chuckled in turn. "He's only teasing." Once the brownrider reached the top of her dragon, with one hand clasped firmly to his neck ridge, Inez reached down to help Rhianwen up. Fortunately for them both, Inez had plenty of practice, and managed to pull the goldrider up to settle behind her. "Is this alright?" Inez asked of her, trying not to think of the fact she was so close to Rhianwen after too many turns apart. They still had a long discussion ahead of them.
Linnea

Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:58 am

It was turns of education and training and experience that guided Rhianwen now. The most important lesson in socializing was on how to keep conversation flowing in and around tense moments or situations. Rhianwen knew Inez would know the conversation for what it was: filler to keep them comfortable. Rhianwen knew Inez was likely to play into it, as well. They had learned and practiced together, after all.

"Don't mind him," Inez said.

Rhianwen immediately turned to Iorveth. "Are conversations truly private when held in the vicinity of other ears?" she responded with a sly smirk and raised eyebrow. Her eyes slipped to the corner of her vision where Inez stood. "I do believe that is why we made our own departure," she added with a teasing tone.

It was almost like Rhianwen had fallen back in time. As if she and Inez were teasing one of their suitors. It left everything in her head and heart jumbled up. But still, as Inez suggested they take Iorveth up without straps on, Rhianwen kept a serene countenance. Inez might know otherwise, but any other feast attendee would likely not be able to read past the surface of loose shoulders to the straight spine beneath.

"I trust you," Rhianwen replied as Inez worked her way up her dragon. She laughed. "But understand Lennoth will demand the same of me from now on." While Rhianwen had never been particularly concerned the gold would drop her, Inez would know Rhianwen had always been more of a realist if not a pessimist, preparing for how things would go wrong even as Inez plotted for the both of them.

I can assure you I am not in the habit of dropping humans, no matter how much they annoy me.

Rhianwen laughed. "Teasing?" she asked Inez when she attempted to wave off Iorveth's comment. "You mean he does drop humans?"

Rhianwen stepped high enough on Iorveth's leg to look him in the eye. "Is it just the annoying ones?" she asked. "Am I at risk?" It was amazing how even without the gap between them closed, Inez's simple presence could still take Rhianwen back to before it existed. Rhianwen grasped Inez's arm when offered, using it for the final boost to mount Iorveth behind her.

"Is this alright?"

They were close. Rhianwen reached out with her arms to hold onto Inez's waist without the straps, but her hands froze before making contact. Even as she argued that it was for safety, just as taking Inez's hand for the help up Iorveth had been a necessity, Rhianwen was still off-kilter enough from the events of the night that her hands moved to hold on to Iorveth, instead, her thighs tight around his neck. "I'm set," she said and her body immediately prepared for the familiar movements of a dragon taking off.
Shaihulud

Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:38 am

"Teasing? You mean he does drop humans?"

Inez chuckled in turn, though the answer Rhianwen might have anticipated never came. It seemed like some things never changed, and Inez's humorous trait of withholding had endured over the turns. Rather than assure the goldrider with a jest, she let the goldrider's nerves fray ever so slightly from Inez's smirking silence.

"Is it just the annoying ones? Am I at risk?" Rhianwen's wariness had failed to abate, and even Inez was not cruel enough to prolong her own wordless teases. Instead, she parted her lips to answer only for Iorveth to reach down with his mind and pluck the words from Inez's own mouth.

Fret not. You are vastly important to my sky, too much so for me carelessly toss you off my back... even if by principal I should, vicinity or not. If Rhianwen thought she caught a note of humour in the dragon's tone, she would not be mistaken.

As for the confession of Rhianwen being "vastly important" to Inez, rather than retract the brown's remark, Inez allowed for it. After all, it should have been no secret to the goldrider that Inez would always love her. Though left unspoken, such a love was evident in the dining hall the moment the two embraced and quivered in one another's arms. And even if Rhianwen refused to hold to her, Inez remained certain the goldrider felt the same for her in turn. Not even the interference of another woman could ever splinter the love between them.

"I'm set."

Out of respect, Inez refrained from touching her in turn. "It should not be long. Iorveth?"

The monstrous brown kicked off into the sky with a swoop of his wings. However, rather than shoot his way up the cliff face, he glided for the lake, where the waterfall cascaded down the weyr face. The power of the jet could be heard as they approached, roaring relentlessly. Once close enough, the blow of the mist wet their cheeks and unfurled Inez's hair from its pins, letting the shoulder length locks tickle against Rhianwen's nose. Iorveth's wings netted the air currents that billowed out from the force of the water above colliding with the waters below, and steadily, he carried them up the crags. The moonlight whites of the water began to blur from the pace of Iorveth's ascension, though they did not ascend with nearly the same rapidity if they had shot directly up the cliff face. Instead, they gained altitude at a languid rate, allowing both riders to appreciate the flight with ease.

Thank you for being kind to her.

Of course, my sky. With a caress over the pavilion edge, Iorveth pumped his wings twice more, and then glided gently for the apartment where the burnished queen awaited them. He touched down with grace, and lowered down for his passengers.

"I hope his flight was pleasant," Inez began as she slipped from her seat and turned to face Rhianwen. She took hold of Iorveth's neck ridge and lowered down enough to support Rhianwen off Iorveth. Reaching up, she offered Rhianwen a hand to assist her. "The burdens of riding a large dragon," she teased, though did pass a loving through to Iorveth.

All the while, as the brown lowered down to help Rhianwen, he watched Lennoth curiously. Might I say you are a beautiful queen, Lennoth. It is a pleasure to finally meet your acquaintance.
Linnea

Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:36 pm

Rhianwen found herself unsure of whether or not she should find humor in Iorveth's comment. While she could sense the jest in his words, and Rhianwen's words, too, had been in jest and not out of any true concern towards her safety, there was enough weight in the reminder of everything she and Inez had been to each other. "Well, I shall be grateful for such protection and attempt not to annoy you too terribly much," she replied in the same jocular manner the brown had used with her as she had climbed into place behind Inez.

The shifting of muscles beneath her as he took off was familiar enough and Rhianwen gripped her legs and hands tight against dragon hide as she moved with each wing beat. The ascent was slow to make up for their lack of straps and current dress, Rhianwen was sure. As they flew past the waterfall, she felt its water spray against her face, but did not need to brush it away until Inez's hair fell out of its pins and flew back to tickle at her nose. It was shorter than it was the last time they had met, but it was an observation easier made once Iorveth landed.

Rhianwen wanted to reach out and touch it, to confirm it. Inez had always held great pride in her hair, just as Rhianwen still did in hers. The thought of cutting it was absurd to her and yet Inez had done just that. Instead, Rhianwen took Inez's offered assistance in dismounting.

"The burdens of riding a large dragon," Inez teased.

Rhianwen smiled as her attention slipped to a now annoyed Lennoth. "A pitfall I am well familiar with," she replied as she gave a tentative mental poke at the gold.

You have no excuse anymore, Lennoth grumbled. To allow an unknown brown and yet deem it unsafe for me.

Rhianwen sighed. She knew this would happen. I don't want us to ever grow lazy, she explained. Tonight is an exception.

Lennoth grumbled , but Rhianwen figured it wouldn't take more than the night for the gold to get over it.

"If you'll follow me," she said and then led Inez to her quarters.

And you are certainly large, I'll give you that, Lennoth finally replied to Iorveth, still in enough of a huff to not quite pull off polite. It would take more than a compliment to impress her.

Inside, Rhianwen's apartment was comfortably furnished. "With the feast tonight, I do not have much to offer, but I can bring out some wine or heat up some klah or tea," she said as she walked over to stoke the hearth. "Please have a seat," she said, as well, directing Inez to the small sitting area where a vase of flowers sat on a table to bring some of the spring cheer inside. Decorating the vase itself was a pressed gardenia and blue ribbon Rhianwen had forgotten about. Instead, she found herself clinging to the comfort of social performance even as the surprise of Inez's appearance continued to throw her mind in disarray and questions from earlier still pressed on her tongue and teeth.

Shaihulud

Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:58 pm

Rhianwen's invitation was met with the slightest curl of a smile, and nod of acceptance. She followed after Rhianwen into the apartment, and immediately noted the various pieces of furniture and embellishments. I remember these... she thought, knowing full well this was not a dream. They were here, together, and tangible were they just to reach out to one another as they had back in the dining hall.

"With the feast tonight, I do not have much to offer, but I can bring out some wine or heat up some klah or tea. Please have a seat,"

She took a seat on the couch, the same spot she once always chose before either woman Impressed. "Tea would be fine," Inez responded, cordial, calm. Yet neither of those emotions reflected the feelings hidden within. So much needed to said, though old instincts warned the brownrider some things might best be left unspoken. Part of wanted to bring voice to the confessions, yet she refrained for the meantime, if only to give them both a moment to enjoy the reunion rather than delve into honest reflections of regret and deception. Regardless of how Rhianwen might take the news, Inez needed to say everything and withhold nothing... but that meant uncovering lies uttered and truths withheld for nearly the last decade.

Linnea

Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:54 pm

Having put the water on to heat upon Inez's request, Rhianwen set two cups and a teapot on the tray. She sprinkled tea leaves, a hopefully refreshing and calming citrus-infused tea, into the teapot and added sweetener and cream to the tray. Each step was an additional reminder of decorum, a placement of support and a shield for the both of them. Inez seemed to have so much to say and Rhianwen had so many questions to ask that the assistance seemed a necessity at this point. It was why she did not broach the subject yet.

The water heated quickly, being enough for two, and Rhianwen added it to the teapot, allowing it to steep as she carried the tray over to the small table between the sofa and chairs. Only once they both had a cup of tea prepared to their liking did Rhianwen sit back on the other end of the sofa and return the entirety of her attention to Inez.

"I am sorry for your loss," she said, unsure of where else to start, "Are your children with you? News was shut off from Benden almost as soon as the little I have was obtained."

Shaihulud

Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:10 pm

In her absence, Inez passed glances about the room, recalling moments of the past kept preciously close. They did little to steel her for the future talk soon to transpire between them. She heard the sound of the stove, the crackle of flame heating the waters for the teapot. When Rhianwen returned, Inez's caught the faintest scent of citrus seeping into the air. Though it aroma remained faint, it was familiar enough for Inez to catch and appreciate.

Sugar first, a pour of tea, a dash of milk. Even over the turns, Inez's preferences had not changed, though she made sure to let her cup cool before she took that first sip.

"I am sorry for your loss. Are your children with you? News was shut off from Benden almost as soon as the little I have was obtained."

Inez gave a nod of her head, and smiled softly at the mention of her children. "Yes, Rhianez and Hesiden are safe. They are under the creche's care until my mother regains herself," Inez responded. "A'roisus requested that his daughter's creche mother watch over my own children." One could never be too cautious, especially with circumstances as they were.

Linnea

Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:53 pm

While she sighed in relief to hear Inez's children were safe and with her, Rhianwen's confusion only grew as Inez spoke. "Your mother?" she questioned.

For the life of her, Rhianwen could not think what could have caused a man to kill himself and his wife, children and mother-in-law to flee. Her brow furrowed as she took a sip of her tea. A coup? That hadn't seemed the case with the news she had received, but it would make sense.

She sighed in surrender as she set her cup down on its saucer with a soft clink and finally asked, "What even happened, Inez? If you are well enough to speak of it..." If, she did not say, Inez was open enough to Rhianwen still to tell it. Rhianwen glanced at the pressed gardenia again and remembered its comparatively recent acquisition. She hoped.

Image x10