Some Anniversary ~ Tag: V'an/Kent - Fawkes

Not the large stone caverns that Weyr people are used to, these are buildings built on the top of the cliff, sometimes referred to as the Weyr Cliff. These buildings are all the same size, with multiple apartments for dragonriders to live in in each building. Because of space constraints, dragons sleep in large pavilions built around the dragonrider apartments.
Parker
Site Admin
Title: High Ebilness
Pronouns: He/Him

Wed May 02, 2018 5:35 am

(This takes place in Early Spring, roughly three months after this thread: Unforgivable Sin)

Life did what it always does.

It went on.

Sid had had to make a choice many months ago whether or not he would go on with life or allow himself to be rolled over by it. Left behind in the dark and sorrow of the tragedy he'd been made to be a part of. For all there had been several days where he'd wished for the emptiness of death to overtake him, and in fact did little in the way of taking care of himself so such a thing wouldn't happen, but eventually he managed to put one foot in front of the other. Was it pleasant? Fuck no it wasn't. Sid hated every minute that he had to drag himself out of bed, but he knew he had to...if not for his own sake then for Iolith's.

It hadn't been long after Kin's death and Sid's break down at the infirmary that his Wingleader, the Weyrleader L'van himself, had come to him to see how he was doing. Word got around so fast in the weyr, but Sid was thankful that most did not know all the details of what had happened. Merely that it had. With L'van's blessing, he'd been given a few sevendays to grieve and try to get his head back together. Sid, even now, wasn't sure how he could ever be any sort of put back together again, but he appreciated the sentiment and knew that he was no use to his wing anyways. With V'an's help he managed to sober up, though it was far too easy for him to fall back into the bottle, during the first of his days off. There wasn't much that Sid took interest in, but then V'an mentioned going home for a bit. He'd go with him and they could even take Servaas and Alyss. Sid didn't want to at first. How could he face his family after what had happened? Eventually, V'an wore him down and the four of them went north to Benden Hold where they spend several days with Sid's family, V'an's family, and old friends.

By the time they had to leave to go back home, Sid had managed to give at least one genuine half smile.It did his soul wonders to see his parents cooing over the grandchildren they never got to see. There was even a small humorous and awkward moment when his mother thought that he and V'an were together, but that humor had swiftly been taken away by the cold memory of Kinali. Still, for the most part, even though there'd been a few nights that Sid had ended up crying himself to sleep, with or without V'an knowing, the trip had been more of a success than not. It also made Sid realize just how lucky he was to have V'an in his life. The man was precious to him and he didn't think he could ever repay him. Sid never had had siblings growing up, but he knew that V'an was closer to him than any blood brother could be.

Coming back to Atricis hurt and for the first two days back, Sid fell back into the same rut of trying to stay blackout drunk. V'an refused to let him back slide too much and with him, and plenty of his wingmate's help, he was able to dust himself off and keep going. It did feel like he was trudging through the thickest of mud, though. He'd get up, go to drills, do his duties, go home, drink, go to bed, repeat the process. Occasionally that cycle would be broke by going to see his children, or spending time with V'an, and eventually, after about a month, he went back to helping in the infirmary. For all he went through the motions of living, he didn't feel very much alive. That numbness turned to a bitterness that he could not shake.

He and Rath had been sure to keep their relationship as professional as possible all things considered. Sid didn't blame him, though he knew he blamed himself, but still seeing the man was a reminder of his own failures. After the first week of being back to helping in the infirmary it was obvious that Sid was allowing his bitterness to get the better of him. Rath, being the Master, obviously couldn't stand by and let Sid treat the riders of their patients that way. He pulled him aside to talk to him about it and of course Sid reacted poorly. Soon enough angry words were exchanged, but not even Sid could have predicted that the argument would have ended with them twined in each others arms again. More anger was spat at the Master before he left to go drink himself into a stupor that evening. The next morning Sid thought he'd be more upset at himself for allowing that to happen again, but he found it wasn't. Nothing mattered still, so why should he care if he let Rath fuck him? If life had taught him anything to this point it was that love was a god damn lie, so why not take pleasure where he could find it?

Now it had been three months since Kinali had killed himself and while Sid was coping, no one could say that he was in a good place. Especially this week. Sid knew exactly what was coming up this week, there was no way for him to forget it. It was horrible timing, honestly, when his emotions was still raw and sore from what had happened and the bitterness he now felt towards life. The anniversary of he and V'an's kidnapping was tomorrow. There was no avoiding, ignoring, or forgetting it for him. Instead he was prepared to face it the only way he knew how to lately...copious amounts of alcohol.

It was in the evening, he'd gone to spend some time with his children though even that didn't bring him the joy it once did, but now he was home and he had two bottles with his name on it. He'd have hit the bottle earlier, but he knew better than to drink before he went to see Servaas and Alyss. He was on his third shot when there was suddenly a knock on the door. "Come in." He knew who it had to be, so he didn't bother to get up. Instead he poured himself another shot.
Image Image Image Image Image
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Car'vis and Corentivis | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

.::..::..::..::..::..
PC Character Tracker | Marks Tracker | NPC Stash
Fawkes
Junior Admin
Title: The Majestic Birb
Pronouns: She/Her, or Birb

Tue May 15, 2018 8:22 pm

It did not take long for V'an to hear the story of what happened to Kinali, the unfortunate soul, but what mattered most to the brownrider was the man who'd been left behind in tragedy's wake. Sid'nis was closer to him than his very own brother, and he knew the man would be hurting, blaming himself, and so much worse brewing inside a grieving mind. The brownrider couldn't let that happen, wouldn't let the man slip into those dark places ever again, because he knew how deep those depths could go. So, once the initial shock had passed, V'an was practically glued to the blueriders' side, checking in on him after every lesson, sitting with him at meals (more so that he made sure Sid ate by bringing dinner to him), and doing his best to keep his friend from slipping too far away and into a bottle.

When the Weyrleader had given Sid a leave of absence, V'an could already suspect how the bluerider planned to use it, so he'd suggested something else instead. It had been far too long since either of them had returned home, to see Benden Weyr again, to smell the crisp air, feel the winters' bite against their skin, and of course visit with the ones who mean the most when it all comes down to it, family. And the children! Servaas and Alyss had family they needed to meet, grandparents who were dying to meet them too. It seemed the idea of bringing his kids along cemented the idea in his mind, and Sid finally relented to the trip, where V'an hoped he would find what he needed.

It was heartening to be Home again, and Shiak and G'lend welcomed him with open arms, and his brother E'von ribbed him for not coming sooner. Sid was always welcome as one of the family, and the two of them shared many meals between the two loving homes. Not to mention, the first meeting between grandparents, and Servass and Alyss, Sid's parents just cooing over their grandchild and already spoiling them rotten. V'an had to admit, it was quite familiar to when he'd taken Rya home to see her parents with Aryan when he was just a babe, and the brownrider prided himself a little in reuniting the family, and hopefully lifting the spirits of his dear friend with a the sounds of laughter and love.

There were still dark moments though, and V'an could watch the change in the man when a memory was sparked, and the brownrider would do his best to steer Sid back toward the light once more. He knew this wasn't something would happen over night, but he was a patient man and would do what he needed to do to see Sid stay on the road to recovery. He also knew, there were bound to be some bumps in the road too, set backs that would come from out of the blue, or even the impending date that loomed ever closer to them. So when they returned to Atricis, V'an was still ever vigilant and watchful of Sid, hoping that maybe going back to work would be a good thing for him, but even he didn't know what happened behind closed doors. If he'd known that his friend had gone back to the man he'd cheated with in the first place, it may have been a warning sign that maybe things weren't going as well as he'd thought.

As it was, V'an did the best he knew how to take care of his friend and get through this together - for Sid would always have a friend by his side, through thick and thin, the darkest of times and the brightest of days, they'd already lived through them all, they could live through this too. He watched the days tick by though, knew it in his heart and soul that dark days were ahead and felt the sickness in his bones and the scar on his side began to burn with memories. He knew he had to stay close to Sid, those memories would be even more prevalent for the man whose mind was like a steel trap. Though it had been Turns ago now, even V'an remembered clearly the day they were taken, and when he'd woken in those cells far below ground, the faintest trace of Arigoth in his mind. It was not a time he wanted to remember, and so the details had gotten fuzzy, the faces of the men with him had blurred over time... But he knew they hadn't for Sid.

On the eve of their...anniversary, V'an had allowed himself a moment in Rya's arms to let it all out, let go of the pains and anguish and memories, because he couldn't afford to go down that road with Sid. Not this time. This time Sid needed him to be strong, resilient, and to keep their spirits up and keep those dark thoughts at bay. He couldn't do that if they were haunting him as well, so he took a moment in the comfort of his apartment and with his weyrmate to lift that weight on his shoulders. When all was said and done, he felt...relieved, and held Ryarin close in his thanks, kissing her until she was practically laughing at him to stop. With a smile on his lips and in his heart, he was able to go to Sid'nis, to be the friend he needed to be today, for the rest of the month as they rode these memories together.

A gentle knock at the door, though V'an would have bet that Sid knew he was coming, and sure enough the blueriders' voice rang out and he moved into the apartment, closing the door behind him. On first glance, he saw the two bottles nearby, and only one of them had a little taken out of it...not much even, so Sid had only just begun it seemed. The brownrider essentially made himself at home as he moved further into the room, grabbing a small glass for himself as well, the idea of some liquid courage to bolster them a little through the night sounded fine, but not too much. V'an settled into a seat near Sid and helped himself to the open bottle, pouring a shot for himself as well and then settling back into his chair, taking a tentative sip first to find out it was whiskey. "You go see the kids today?" He asked casually, as he took the rest of the shot and gave it a moment to sink in first.
This Intoxication Thrills Me,
I Only Pray It Doesn't Kill Me

Safryn ~* *~ Kitiara ~* *~ V'an ~* *~ Ay'li ~* *~ Elysia ~* *~ Kent ~* *~ Isolde ~* *~ Omri'vis ~* *~ Daela
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Weyrwoman || Wingsecond || Weyrling Asst. || Wingleader || Wingthird || Wingrider || Weyr Guard || Strikeleader || Candidate

If You Want Something You've Never Had,
You Must Be Willing To Do Something You've Never Done.

#332500/#C1A00C | #8AA259 | #A8482A | #B69064 | #667A8C | #155710 | #969696 | #181D68
~ Character Tracker ~ | * Marks Tracker *
Parker
Site Admin

Wed May 16, 2018 4:06 am

Sid'nis didn't look at V'an as he came in and made himself at home. For all of his state of crisis in the last few months, he hadn't allowed himself to turn into too much of a slob. There were a few empty bottles here and there, but the place was pretty much in a well state of being. The same couldn't be said of Sid. He had a permanent set of dark rings under his eyes. He still wasn't eating the best, so his cheeks were a bit gaunt. He only bothered to shave half the time, so now he mostly sported some level of scruff and his hair that was normally clean cut and combed straight was disheveled.

"You go see the kids today?"

He downed the shot in his hand as V'an helped himself to his first one. "I did. They're doing well. Their creche mother told me that Servaas was showing exemplary skills in art. He showed me several of his drawings. For his age they are really pretty good. Though, I know I am rather bias." Sid said. It was the truth and he was proud of his son, but his tone lacked the overwhelming sense of fatherly pride that it had once had. He decided to leave out the fact that he had left earlier than he intended. While playing with Alyss she'd mentioned Kinali. After that, Sid had to get away as fast as he could.

Quickly he pours himself another shot and then raises it to V'an in a toast. "Well, to the start of another shitty anniversary?" He asked and then took the shot. "You know I'll be alright, V'an, if you'd rather spend the evening with Ryarin." Sid knew that V'an would refuse the offer. "I can busy myself with other distractions tonight." He honestly felt like a burden to his friend right now. Already being...well who he was now and V'an having to have dealt with him for the last several months, he'd rather not burden his friend more when he too had suffered greatly during the events that they were now remembering.
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Car'vis and Corentivis | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

Fawkes
Junior Admin
Title: The Majestic Birb
Pronouns: She/Her, or Birb

Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:51 pm

As Sid talked about the visit with his son, the brownriders' face started to light up. Any time they talked about their children was a good time, even if Sid lacked a little of his usual luster, it was still a topic of conversation that could always get both fathers into a better mood. "Hey, that's great man! Servaas is gonna be natural. Inherited his father's genius." V'an said with a smile and tease to his friend. "You tell me a father who isn't bias, and I'll be a wherry's uncle Sid... Shells, Aryan is eight now, and he's almost better than me at carving." The man added with a soft chuckle that faded into a blissful sort of sigh. "A fathers' pride." He whispered, glancing at Sid with a knowing look, hoping to get him to think of anything but the memories that lay in wait for them.

When Sid poured his next drink, V'an held out his own glass for a refill as well, partially to get a little drunk himself, and partly to at least keep par with Sid so that the man doesn't drink most of this to himself tonight. As the bluerider lifted his glass, he followed suit with a toast of his own. "To another shitty anniversary." The brownrider said, though a little of that smile started to waver, and swiftly he took the shot to steel himself. There was no way around it, no other words for it, it was an anniversary of the shittiest time in their lives, something they just had to endure every Turn, yet there was no where he'd rather be than here with Sid either.

"You know I'm not going anywhere Sid, already spent the whole day with Rya and Aryan, now I'm here with you and nowhere else I want to be." V'an said with a slight shake of his head, pouring himself another shot and then leaning back in his chair as he spoke. "Unless, there's somewhere you'd rather be, these other distractions? Trying to bail on our date night?" The brownrider teased with a smirk for his friend, lifting the glass to his lips but only taking a tantalizingly sip, a lick of his lips playfully and reaching up to run calloused fingers through feathery hair as his head tilted with it and put on a bit of a show for the bluerider as his 'date'. Maybe, just maybe he might get a smile out of him.
This Intoxication Thrills Me,
I Only Pray It Doesn't Kill Me

Safryn ~* *~ Kitiara ~* *~ V'an ~* *~ Ay'li ~* *~ Elysia ~* *~ Kent ~* *~ Isolde ~* *~ Omri'vis ~* *~ Daela
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Weyrwoman || Wingsecond || Weyrling Asst. || Wingleader || Wingthird || Wingrider || Weyr Guard || Strikeleader || Candidate

If You Want Something You've Never Had,
You Must Be Willing To Do Something You've Never Done.

#332500/#C1A00C | #8AA259 | #A8482A | #B69064 | #667A8C | #155710 | #969696 | #181D68
~ Character Tracker ~ | * Marks Tracker *
Parker
Site Admin

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:58 pm

Sid managed a small laugh. Yes, he knew that V'an was not going to abandon him this evening. Not even for his family. What the two of them had gone through, how they were always there for each other, V'an was closer to him than a brother. Still, even with as close as they were, Sid wanted to offer the man the chance to not have to be around him if he didn't want. It wasn't as if V'an hadn't gone above and beyond being his friend already in the last few months. Sid'nis poured himself another shot and then offered one to V'an. "Yeah, I know V'an. You want to be here, but if you didn't I just wanted you to know that it was fine. I understand..." A softer look crossed his face. "But I think you for being with me on this night as always."

"Unless, there's somewhere you'd rather be, these other distractions? Trying to bail on our date night?"

V'an's tactics worked and Sid not only smiled, but he full out laughed. "Bail on a date with the most handsome man in the weyr? I'd be crazy to. I mean, c'mon, your shoulders alone are enough to turn heads." He replied with a little flirty wink. This was a common enough game with them, one where Sid would say such flirtatious things to his friend and V'an would snip something back, or the other way around. It was all in good fun as Sid knew V'an was not interested in men and besides...what they had now was far better than anything physical could be. Sid got up from his seat and walked behind his friend, teasingly running a hand through the man's glorious locks. How could anyone resist when they were so soft? "If you had been otherwise busy or didn't want to go out tonight I was going to go visit Rath, but no...I'd rather go out with my best friend." He stated sincerely.

Sid grabbed his boots and sat back down on the couch to put them on. "We staying in weyr tonight? Figured we could just hit the bar area in the dining hall. Stay a little closer to home. You know? Less risk of our anniversary happening again if we stay here." That last bit was said with dark sarcastic humor. Once he had his boots on he poured them each one more shot. "One for the road, as the traders say, at least these shots we don't have to pay for.
Image Image Image Image