Let Them Eat Cake; Tag: Fawkes/Safryn

Not the large stone caverns that Weyr people are used to, these are buildings built on the top of the cliff, sometimes referred to as the Weyr Cliff. These buildings are all the same size, with multiple apartments for dragonriders to live in in each building. Because of space constraints, dragons sleep in large pavilions built around the dragonrider apartments.
Caryatid

Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:10 am

It had nagged at Sunaia since her arrival. There were forms and rituals to follow in all things and she kept a mental inventory of which she'd completed, and which were due. When visiting a Hold, respects were to be paid to the Lord and Lady; thank you notes must be sent afterward. When visiting a Weyr, duties were to be paid to the leadership. And when taking up residence? When one's own father was part of that leadership, and one has spent the first part of their tenure a freeloading invalid?

Something more than duties were required, and thank you notes would not suffice.

Filed beside the collection of social niceties was knowledge of the various Weyrleaders and Weyrwomen of Pern. No aspiring headwoman would be without such trivia and Sunaia had been well-trained by Telgar's. She knew Safryn by mention alone, and then only broad strokes of information: the child of riders and Harper-trained (a fact which sent Sunaia into a fit of wistful whimsy whenever she reflected upon it), she had Impressed a number of Turns ago but was still young.

Sunaia was not the betting sort but, being a young woman herself, weyrbred and inclined to music, she suspected (hoped) that the little plate of drum-shaped cakes she carried would be an appropriate gift for a busy Weyrwoman. She'd bribed one of the cooks with a necklace, both for access to the ovens and a little help with the baking, that not being her forte. The cakes were small and light and mingled spice with citrus (though they did tilt at odd angles, having not properly risen all of the way). Their faults were covered with a sugar glaze and twists of candied citrus peels that pretended to look like musical notes.

Really, they were not very impressive cakes. But what mattered was that she'd made them herself.

As she balanced the plate on one hand outside of the door to Safryn's office, Sunaia went through the checklist under her breath, "Give Telgar's duties, thank her for making Papa happy and busy again, take up no more than fifteen minutes and do not ask about her work."

With her knuckles poised above the door, she paused for a beat.

"Don't cough on the cakes."

Right. She had this. Rap rap rap against the wood, brisk and bright and friendly. Then she drew herself up and adopted a smile, with the plate held before her on both hands.
Fawkes
Junior Admin
Title: The Majestic Birb
Pronouns: She/Her, or Birb

Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:01 pm

Busy as ever, the Weyrwoman had spent the majority of her morning pouring over requisitions from all the holds in their Territory. The Fotilla still needed a few more supplies, most of it now food stores and other general lifestyles items needed to feed and house these people, now that the main bulk of their dwellings were built. Southern Seahold was in constant trade with them, and while Atricis mostly procured their goods from the Port, occasionally the Seahold needed something from them as well. Amaryllis was trying to stay as neutral as possible between Atricis and Walled, so half of their provisions were provided by the Weyr, and Safryn was glad to keep that afloat as long as possible. There was even an account from Evanoria, the Weyrhold enlisting a caravan or three to bring them supplies from the Seahold as well, which would gladly be provided to their sister Weyr.

It had been a morning full of writing out order form after order form, and then making copies of each of them, all the records they had to keep of the simplest things sometimes, but the archivists would have her hide if they didn't get their copies. Safryn was just, blessedly putting her seal on each of the envelopes now, the easiest part of the whole process and added a sense of finality to it. As she was gathering them up though, there came a gentle rapping at her door and the woman paused for a moment. Was she expecting someone? A meeting she'd forgotten about and mentally she went through her schedule for today, but no, there wasn't anything she could think of. So a surprise visitor, how lovely.

There was the softest smile on her face then as she tidied up the messages on her desk, she'll send her flitters on those errands soon enough and instead moved to answer the door and see who had stopped by. It was hard to pinpoint who it might be in her head, for so many different scenario's passed through her mind, so when she opened the door, she was genuinely glad to see a new face standing at the threshold, and one who came bearing goodies. Her favorite kind of visitor. "Good afternoon." The Weyrwoman said pleasantly, smiling at the young woman standing there, a candidate by her knots though not one she recognized right away, yet there was something vaguely familiar about her at the same time. Had they crossed paths before? Or maybe Safryn had seen her from a distance? "How can I help you?" She asked with a kind smile, opening her door just a little wider, expecting that the young woman would want to come in and set down the plate of pastries.
This Intoxication Thrills Me,
I Only Pray It Doesn't Kill Me

Safryn ~* *~ Kitiara ~* *~ V'an ~* *~ Ay'li ~* *~ Elysia ~* *~ Kent ~* *~ Isolde ~* *~ Omri'vis ~* *~ Daela
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Weyrwoman || Wingsecond || Weyrling Asst. || Wingleader || Wingthird || Wingrider || Weyr Guard || Strikeleader || Candidate

If You Want Something You've Never Had,
You Must Be Willing To Do Something You've Never Done.

#332500/#C1A00C | #8AA259 | #A8482A | #B69064 | #667A8C | #155710 | #969696 | #181D68
~ Character Tracker ~ | * Marks Tracker *
Caryatid

Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:13 am

Right off, Sunaia tucked a foot behind and dipped at the knee. Maybe a salute or bow might have been more fitting under the circumstances, but one did not bow over cakes. That was simply inviting trouble. This way she was able to remain upright and lead with the sweet-laden plate as the Weyrwoman stepped back. The invitation was clear and she didn't dawdle, mindful of the limit on time she'd set upon herself.

"These are for you, ma'am," answered how Safryn might help her. The candidate slipped inside and turned about. The plate was extended, the "drum" cakes on offer. "They ought to still be warm inside, but I let them cool enough to harden the glaze. The cooks said that was important. For, ah."

Her eyebrows twitched together as she remembered back. What was it? The syrup she was taking for her cough, it did such things to her memory at times.

"For reasons," she finally said. Her smile turned sheepish, and not above directing a touch of humour at herself. "I'm Sunaia, ma'am. L'van's daughter. And I wanted to say thank you for your hospitality. Ah. For the Weyr's hospitality. For being a place I can come to recuperate. But also for being a place where Papa's been able to... light up again. He's happy here, anyone can see it looking at him, and him being happy is what matters most. Which means I owe my thanks more to you than the Weyr itself, so I thought... cakes?"

She lifted the plate a little more. "They're, ah. Meant to be drums."
Fawkes
Junior Admin

Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:55 am

The goldriders' smile widened slightly at the curtsy from the young woman and then stepped aside to close the door behind the candidates. With the platter offered to her, the woman took a moment to appreciate the pastries, the delicate spread of glaze and twists of color. They had the imperfect look of homemade, which made them all the more precious as real time and effort had been put into making these cakes for her and Safryn certainly admired that about her already.

The candidate continued about the pastries as well, and then onto the reason of her visit and the redheaded woman listened patiently, a soft smile gracing her lips. Her interest piqued and her brow even quirked slightly at the mention of L'van and her relations. Perhaps that was why the girl had looked vaguely familiar to her, having worked alongside her father for quite some time now, day in and day out of those grizzled features. Sunaia's of course were softer, more delicate, yet still held the same refinement and presence that her father had bestowed on her. It was a pleasure to meet one of the Weyrleaders' kin, and even more so when the young woman praised and thanked her for giving the bronzeriders' happiness. The goldrider stifled the softest chuckle, a private thought to herself about where the man found the latest skip in his step, but she nodded in respect of the candidates' words.

"They look delicious Sunaia, and I insist you stay and enjoy one with me, savor your hard work." The Weyrwoman said, smiling at the young woman as she took the proffered platter. Safryn moved further into the apartment, the invitation made quite openly to the candidate to make herself at home then. Setting down the dish of pastries on the dining table, the woman moved to the hutch nearby. "You know, it's quite appropriate you brought me 'little drums'..." She started up some chatter as she gathered up some small plates. "My late brother named my furflit Drummer, to go with my brown flit Piper." The woman said with a smile, despite that she spoke of a brother long gone. " 'Drummer beat, and Piper blow.' " The harper recited with a fondness, moving back to the table and arranging the two small plates in front of the seats at the end of the table.

Though she beckoned her guest to make herself comfortable, Safryn didn't sit down quite yet and moved back toward the hutch. "I think some klah would go quite well with those, would you care for any?" The woman asked as she reached in to the hutch for a mug, wondering if she should grab two instead. There was always a pot of klah hanging over the hearth and they kept the embers stirred just to keep it warm. Long days required klah at a moment's notice and she'd learned long ago how to keep some on hand.

Safryn ~* *~ Kitiara ~* *~ V'an ~* *~ Ay'li ~* *~ Elysia ~* *~ Kent ~* *~ Isolde ~* *~ Omri'vis ~* *~ Daela
Weyrwoman || Wingsecond || Weyrling Asst. || Wingleader || Wingthird || Wingrider || Weyr Guard || Strikeleader || Candidate

#332500/#C1A00C | #8AA259 | #A8482A | #B69064 | #667A8C | #155710 | #969696 | #181D68
Caryatid

Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:32 am

Sunaia knew the next words very well-- she'd sung them often enough to herself, secretly and in private. Here, she smiled rather than sang. Even an ex-Harper might not appreciate an impromptu vocal performance, and she had cakes to serve up, besides. "Good names for firelizards. I hope the cakes prove as good but baking isn't really my forte," she admitted after she stepped inside. "The cooks helped with the tricky bits. Measuring, timing them in the ovens, carmel...caramel...ah...crisping the sweet glaze. I mixed and poured, and helped arrange the candied peels."

But there was pride in the way she arranged them near the plates Safryn had set. Her own preparations were put on pause while the other woman went for mugs. She'd served at table enough that it felt strange to see a Weyrwoman handling pouring duties on her own.

"A little klah wouldn't go amiss but may I see to that, ma'am?" It was a delicate question; she didn't yet know if Safryn was the "take pride in performing the lower tasks" sort of goldrider or the "do not question my decisions" kind. She quickly added, "I don't mind. I'd meant to say thank you, not create more work. And I've a steady hand, I won't spill." Because the third sort was the "I do not trust you not to spatter my work papers with mess" type of goldrider.
Fawkes
Junior Admin

Tue May 15, 2018 6:18 pm

Safryn smiled politely ask the young woman admitted that that cooks had helped her with the cakes. Unless someone was a skilled baker, they would always need a little help from someone, even Safryn knew there were things in the kitchen she couldn't do, and she'd practically raised a family already. The smile was soft and tender, almost saying that Sunaia needn't explain herself, the thought and effort that went into the cakes was what mattered most.

As Sunaia spoke up, almost moving to do so herself, the Weyrwoman waved a hand at her to stay seated, to enjoy herself and relax a little. "Nonsense, you've already done plenty for me dear. Bringing me cakes, giving me a much needed respite from work. The least I can do is pour you some klah....or would you prefer tea? I can do either. A very versatile woman I am." Safryn said with the softest chuckle as she reached for two mugs and brought them down. She moved for the klah pot nestled in the embers of the hearth to stay warm and moved to pour herself a cup, and then whatever Sunaia desired, she would provide.

Returning to the table with two steaming mugs in hand, she set one in front of the candidate and settled into a seat for herself as well, eyeing the cakes with a sweet tooth. "You know, your father would probably like one of these too...but I don't know if we should share or not." The woman said with an impish sort of smirk pulling at her lips, like the cakes were their very own secret to share amongst themselves only. "Although, I'm sure, just having you here in Atricis is a treat enough for him, yes?" Safryn added, as if a bit to justify keeping these cakes, but her tone was inquisitorial, wondering if L'van and Sunaia had really had much of a chance to reconnect much.

Caryatid

Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:59 pm

The weyrwoman's personal grace and way of smoothing things over struck a deep chord for Sunaia-- what she saw being modeled before her is what her early lessons in weyr life said a woman should be. It's what she'd observed time and again in certain female leaders, be they riders or lower caverns staff. The example was one she strove often to achieve but hadn't yet found the knack of displaying; when she tried, it felt as if she were wearing a cloak two sizes too large for herself, not yet grown into.

She'd be remiss if she didn't abide by Safryn's clear wish to see to the klah herself, and so she subsided in her chair. She made certain to show extra gratitude in the quick response of her smile.

"That's very kind of you, ma'am. Klah is fine! I enjoy klah and never found the taste for tea... not the way Telgar's headwoman has."

When the drink was before her and her hands carefully wrapped around the mug, she dipped her head towards the plate-- silent encouragement for Safryn to make free with the cakes, even as her eyes glinted with answering amusement. Yes, it was evident the Weyrwoman was practiced and capable at putting others at ease; it likely stood her in good stead for her duties. "If there are any left after, I can take one to him if you'd like me to. But they are made for you and I can make others for him later. Sometimes he does forget to eat," she admitted. "He gets so focused on work because he loves it too much, to be useful and good. It makes him forget everything else."

Out loud, that sounded like a far harsher assessment than L'van deserved and his daughter hastened to add, "I mean more than he neglects himself than others. We've had a little time here and there, and it's been wonderful, the moments we have had. His work is so much more important though. An entire Weyr, all of these people looking to you and him both to keep them well. Your Weyr, it rivals any I've seen in the North. Even without a Bowl around it."

Sunaia stopped herself there-- too many compliments would risk giving earnest the sound of insincere-- and found a new smile for Safryn. "And I promise, I don't want to keep you too long. But he speaks so highly of you and I did want to give my thanks. I'm excellent at making certain Papa takes breaks and if you ever need that service performed too, ma'am, I would be honoured."