The Garnet's Children: Tag Finn/Ember

Not the large stone caverns that Weyr people are used to, these are buildings built on the top of the cliff, sometimes referred to as the Weyr Cliff. These buildings are all the same size, with multiple apartments for dragonriders to live in in each building. Because of space constraints, dragons sleep in large pavilions built around the dragonrider apartments.
Ainokesshou

Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:17 am

Varren was looking at his sister at just the right time to catch her pained expression, and he was definitely confused. Surely, her dragon would have mentioned if she didn't feel well. If she still had pains from the birth, then surely neither Danteth nor B'tian would allow her to be up and about, and lifting the babies. But that was definitely pain.

She smiled a moment later, so whatever it was, it wasn't constant. Childbirth and the aftermath were in no way his specialty, he had no idea if she should still be hurting occasionally...

No, to be honest, when he actually imagined the experience, as abstractly as possible, he was more surprised that she was able to move around at all than that she was in pain. How did women ever recover from such a thing? He was certainly glad that he would never have to go through that. But he still needed to ask. The question was, did he need to ask her directly, ask her dragon, or ask her weyrmate?

"I didn't know that Sarami was coming," Varren commented, "though I'm sure she will be happy to raise the next generation. Hopefully she's not getting too old to chase after two babies at once, though supposedly it's easier for aging people to manage in a warmer climate." He gave Finn a sly look. "Are you trying to move your entire extended family here, one person at a time. I admit, the twins are cute enough to be a powerful draw, but I'm not certain you can get everyone here that way."
Quiloth     Elahrairath     Nahumth      
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
   Atumra       Panlovis     Galask  Gask                      
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:04 am

She chuckled and gave him a wink. It was true, she wanted as many members of her family in the South now that she had the babies. It would be good for them, especially considering she wanted them to grow up knowing as many people in their bloodlines as possible. But she had to be realistic about it. "As tempting as it is to try and pull everyone South, I know that it wouldn't be possible. Da has his position in the Wings, and I really don't think Ma is going to want to leave him, though I have it on good authority that she's jokingly threatened to do so if he doesn't take one Rest Day off so they can come down to see the babies at least once within the next month."

Gently, she pulled Sebastiran away and looked down at him, a smile on her face. "Then there's Bast's own family. They're of Holder stock, and have no way to come here. We have to go to them, and I have no idea about that, or when it would happen. I still have to talk to Bast about it." She lifted her son up and kissed his little stomach, then his cheeks and hugged him to her again. "But everything will work out in the end, I think. So long as the babies get to meet them, I will be content."

She would be content so long as they had a rich, healthy, and fulfilling life surrounded by plenty of family that loved and supported them no matter what. That's all a mother could ask for, right? "I'm doing so well on not planning for their futures, and yet all I can see is the two of them having something happy, healthy, rich, vibrant, fulfilling..." She stopped to chuckle a bit. "All the good things..." She looked at them both. "Mama wants all the good things for the two of you."

Then to her brother, she continued. "That's all I see for them, Varr. That's all I want for them. The rest? None of that matters to me, not a single damn bit of it. I'll greet their loves with open arms, accept their crafts with smiles, and if they decide to stand, support them and help them prepare, just as I know their father will. I just want them happy... I just want them healthy." She stopped to sigh and close her eyes, knowing... "This is probably more than you wanted to hear, isn't it?"
Ainokesshou

Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:12 pm

Varren grinned at the idea of Finn's parents arguing over a visit to see the babies. "I'm sure he was already trying to plan a trip," he said, because while he didn't know the man very well, he was confident that the man intended to meet his grandchildren at least once. "But that threat might help get him here faster."

He hadn't thought about the logistics of extended family in a hold. Even weyrfolk without dragons of their own could generally rely on one rider or another to get them where they wanted to go, if not exactly when they wanted to go there. "I think these little ones are still too tiny for a trip between," and he looked up at his sister, who was still not supposed to be flying herself. "And I doubt you'd let them travel without you."

He let it go. This was not something he was in any position to help with, as she would be allowed to fly long before there was any chance of Varren Impressing, and completing his weyrling training.

"It's good not to plan, but you know that even if you say they are free to do what they want, there will be other people with expectations," Varren warned. Even if no relative ever suggested that they were expected to be candidates, their peers, the adults in the creche, someone would talk about "when" they stood for hatchings. Fortunately, most weyrbrats seemed to WANT to be candidates, especially those who had enough contact with their parents' dragons to crave one of their own.

And Finn did seem a little overly emotional, but he wasn't sure if that was just a result of being a new mother, or something more. He hadn't exactly spent much time around women in this situation, so he couldn't tell. "Maybe it's a little early to start daydreaming about what they will do with their lives," he offered, "when they can't even use the facilities yet," he grinned at the baby he was holding. Really, they had to be cute or no parent would tolerate them after the first changing. "But mostly what I wanted to hear was that you are recovering as expected, your babies are healthy, and you will accept my help with them."
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ember

Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:32 pm

She knew that. No matter how much she wanted to try and protect her babies, there were always going to be those with expectations for them. She glanced at them both and placed a kiss on the infant in her arms, wishing she could protect them from the hidden problems of tomorrow. But that would only lead to issues for them, and she wanted children that could things for themselves and untangle their own messes. She would be there for them always, of that there would be no doubt, and yet she didn't want them to grow up thinking that Mama was going to be there to kiss every little ouch that they ever obtained, either.

"Yeah, you're right." She knew why she was being so emotional, why things were so charged up for her. She needed to talk to someone, and with Varren here, she wondered if her brother would mind. She hadn't spoken to Bast much, though he knew what would have been weighing on her mind. She glanced at her brother again and moved to sit down, Sebastiran soon tucked against her pressed together legs so that she could inspect his little fingers and toes, tickle his little belly. "The truth of the matter is that I'm not doing all that great, Varren. No one but Bast is really aware of this but... we actually had three babies. One of them was stillbirth, a little girl. I've been holding onto it, bottling it up, thinking if I don't think about her it won't hurt as much." She leaned forward to kiss her son's fingers. "It's been a self-created crock of shit."
Ainokesshou

Fri May 04, 2018 3:25 pm

Varren inhaled sharply. Shards. This was definitely a moment when he wished that he was better at talking to patients. Supposedly it was a skill he could learn, and he never had bothered, because most of the time it seemed unnecessary. But maybe it wouldn't have helped this time, because this was his sister, and they were talking about his niece, even if she hadn't lived long enough for him to meet her.

"Finn," he whispered, wanting to reach out to touch her for a moment, but he had his hands full. The abortive movement jostled Basiena, and he focused on soothing her for a minute, looking at the baby while he tried to figure out what to say.

"No," he said, finally, "I don't think staying quiet about it has been helping you." He didn't see how it could. How could she properly grieve if she had to act like everything was wonderful because she had these two beautiful babies? He shifted the baby in his arms, cradling her in only one so that he could reach out and grab his sister's shoulder. "I'm pretty sure you NEED to spend some time thinking about her," he said, even though he knew it had to hurt to do it. "You probably need to spend some time talking about her, too," he added, though he wouldn't be able to help beyond listening. What did you even say in this situation?

Varren was pretty sure reminding her of the two babies she had wasn't anywhere on the list. She was already focusing on their needs over her own, which was normal for a parent, but left her grief festering. And by the egg, he'd heard that some women had trouble coping after a birth that went perfectly well. How much worse must it be in this case, when she needed to break down and cry, but also needed to take care of twins...of the remaining triplets?

"Are you getting enough sleep," he asked, aware that one of the problems for those mothers was often the exhaustion of taking care of a new life round the clock. A rider was probably used to that, after being a weyrling, but it was possible she'd had more support taking care of Danteth.
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ember

Sun May 27, 2018 1:30 pm

She knew her brother was speaking out of dear concern, and it was with that in mind that she smiled and nodded. She glanced down at her son, knowing that he and his sister kept her up as much as they could, but it was with a loving mind that she thought that way, no matter how difficult the task was for her to consider it otherwise. She wanted to avoid his other questions, the ones concerning the triplet that was lost, but she knew she couldn't forever. It was something that would need to be touched upon sooner or later. Sooner probably better, considering her brother couldn't stay with her forever, and it this really wasn't something she should try and hold onto for much longer.

She kissed Sebastiran's forehead. "I suppose I do need to talk about her, give her a chance to live if not in life, then through me, through us. I haven't even given her a name. I've been too afraid to grow attached to the idea of calling her something other than "her", or "baby"... or anything at all." A tear fell down her cheek, something she'd been holding onto for a while, then another, and finally she wasn't even trying to hold them back. She didn't think her brother would mind, but when she started to quiver, she stood to settle the baby in his cradle. "I sleep, but not very well."
Ainokesshou

Sun May 27, 2018 4:07 pm

Varren didn't say what he was thinking, which was that Finn needed to talk about the baby she lost for her own sake, not the dead baby's. He wasn't heartless, but he didn't think the dead could be helped. Still, Finn's feelings probably involved thinking about how the baby would have felt, and he had to admit that the impersonal nature of speaking about "the baby" or "her" without a name might not be helping. "If you are saying, 'I haven't even given her a name,' " he said carefully. "That probably means you feel like you should?"

He certainly coudn't suggest names, and it seemed like something she and Bast should decide together. But if she felt somehow guilty for not naming the child, that was an easy fix. It would by no means end her grief, but.... there's no reason not to pick the low-hanging fruit. "I think it's already too late to worry about getting attached. You obviously are, and that's not really a bad thing."

Sleep was a separate issue. He might not know much about babies or childbirth, but every healer knew that exhaustion made even the simplest tasks seem impossible. If she wasn't getting enough sleep, then she would have a hard time dealing with her grief no matter what she did. IN that way, even though having the twins should help ease her grief somewhat, they were probably also contributing to the problem. "You know that you need sleep to heal," he said. "You could probably use an entire day without responsibilities," and he continued before she could have a chance to object, "and I know that neither Bast nor I could actually feed these two, but there are other nursing mothers in the Weyr. One day away from you won't hurt them, or their bond with you at all," and he was confident about that, given how many children spent the entire day in the crech, but stil were happy to see their mothers at the end of it. "And I'd be happy to see to Danteth's needs for that day."

He grinned at that. "To be honest, you know that would make me the envy of the barracks. I'd have so many other candidates offering to help as well that Danteth would be spoiled for attention the entire day."
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ember

Thu May 31, 2018 9:53 pm

She considered it a moment. The idea was one she would want to think about and maybe discuss with Bast, but she thought that... maybe if her mate knew how difficult things had been for her, on a true level, he would be for it. A day, maybe two, where she could just rest and sleep would probably do her wonders, and she figured he wouldn't mind spoiling her and the babies by going back and forth between the two. She nodded in her brother's direction and moved to slip Basiena from his arms when she noticed the little baby was asleep and went to settle her next to her brother. "I think I will discuss this with Bast a bit. All of it, the name, the loss, the option of a brief substitute so I can get some rest for a bit."

She returned to Varren's side and embraced him, closing her eyes as she settled her cheek on her brother's shoulder. "And Danteth says the only one that will get to take care of her, should this come to pass, is you. She likes you, if you don't know this already." She chuckled, because the garnet could be so picky at times, but it warmed her to know that her dragon liked her brother so much. "I'll keep you up to date on things, okay? Let you know what me and Bast end up deciding on everything."
Last edited by Ember on Thu May 31, 2018 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ainokesshou

Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:01 am

Varren grinned. "I know that you're aware that I like Danteth, too. And it makes more sense for me to help than Bast, anyway, since I don't have anyone else to take care of, so if she wants me to handle her needs for a day or two, I'll manage. And if she doesn't want me to share the privilege with the other candidates, I'll try not to be too smug about it around the barracks." He wasn't lying, either, about how eager many of the candidates would be for the opportunity. And that was ignoring all the weyrbrats who would be just as enthusiastic.

Honestly, if a dragonrider were lazy, and didn't value the chance to reconnect by taking care of their dragon's daily needs, they could easily just watch weyrbrats manage it for them. Of course, it would not be good for the pair's bond to do that frequently. "Just let me know," he said, and continued with, "and seriously, I know that I can't watch the babies for very long yet because I can't feed them, but I can handle between feedings even now, and once they're eventually weaned, I can handle long periods. I know you're bringing your foster mother here, but if you need someone else, feel free to ask me first. If I'm not in lessons or chores, the answer will be yes."

*fin*
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage