The Garnet's Children: Tag Finn/Ember

Not the large stone caverns that Weyr people are used to, these are buildings built on the top of the cliff, sometimes referred to as the Weyr Cliff. These buildings are all the same size, with multiple apartments for dragonriders to live in in each building. Because of space constraints, dragons sleep in large pavilions built around the dragonrider apartments.
Ainokesshou

Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:07 am

Varren was probably not the only candidate who found reasons to slip past the Hatching sands whenever his route could possible take him in that direction. It was notT even a new habit, though the route was a little more roundabout for him here at Atricis. In High Reaches, he had walked past the entrance to the sands on his way from breakfast to the infirmary without any detours. Here, he had to amble out of the way to glance in the door.

It was silly. He knew that when Lennoth laid her eggs, the whole Weyr would be informed. It wasn’t going to be a secret. Eggs wouldn’t magically appear while he was in classes, at least not without everyone knowing. But the sands were a sort of mystical place, with the ability to change lives.

Going from the Dining Hall to Finn’s weyr didn’t provide a convenient excuse to slip past the sands. He did it anyway. He wanted to see her, to see her babies, he wasn’t trying to delay that. He just….wanted to see the sands that he had not yet stood on. He didn’t stop, though, just glancing through the entrance as if it was happenstance that he walked past.

Then he found a straighter route to Finn’s quarters. He didn’t know how soon she would be cleared to fly with her wing again, but he was planning to argue that he could watch the twins while she and Bastian were both busy with wing duties. His best chance to make that happen was to help her now, so he knocked at the entrance to her quarters.
Quiloth     Elahrairath     Nahumth      
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
   Atumra       Panlovis     Galask  Gask                      
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:19 pm

Oh, how motherhood agree with Finn. She was still the same person that she had been prior to the birth of her twins, but it was very apparent that being a mother was something she'd wanted to be for a good portion of her life. She was no expert by any means, but she seemed to know what to do, maybe through observations growing up around her foster mother, or maybe because she knew to ask advice of other mothers in the Weyr when she needed to. Of everything else, she was taking it a step at a time, relying on Bast when it required it, and enjoying their babies together because he was an amazing man, weyrmate, and father.

Then there had been her family, who had come and gone since the arrival of the twins, showering her and Bast and them in gifts and affection with such glowing love it had nearly overwhelmed her at times. But it had been wanted, and appreciated, and not once had she considered turning them away. She wanted the babies to know their family, especially their New Atricis family since they would be growing up there. She smiled down at them as they finished up their meal, finding it had started to become easier feeding them both at once as long as she sat at the table and used cushions to help cradle them both. They seemed to prefer it that way - if she tried to feed one then the other, they cried. Together, they were content.

Just as they finished, there was a knock, and she called out. "Just a moment!" Danteth told her who it was and she nodded. "Want to keep him company while he's standing out there? You like him, right?" Of course she knew the garnet did, had since he arrived and had given her a wealth of affection. So while she finished tending to Basiena and Sebastiran's meal, the dragon reached out to the boy, who was one of the few - Bast being the only other one - that she willingly spoke to outside of her rider. Hello, boy of Finn. My rider will be with you in just a moment. She is currently feeding the hatchlings and then she will let you in. May I entertain you until she is finished? Finn still found it amusing that Danteth called him "boy of Finn" but she knew her dragon and she could tell - Danteth did so out of affection more than anything.
Dirce L'van D'kellen D'ante V'ric Na'vi K'rios J'on
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Fali'vas Koda'vis Melangell Cataren Sianca Feraliss Yaranavexa Rathiran

Compendium | NPC Archive | Wanted Connections | Marks Tracker | Emporium

[ Threads Wanted ]

“It's better to write something, anything, than to starve the monster. The monster must feed. And it will feed on your soul if not your words. Its appetite is insatiable. Write to save yourself from the monster.”
― Don Roff ―
Ainokesshou

Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:00 am

Ember wrote:Hello, boy of Finn. My rider will be with you in just a moment. She is currently feeding the hatchlings and then she will let you in. May I entertain you until she is finished?
Ah, bad timing apparently. Of course, infants spent most of their time eating or sleeping. "You can always entertain me, Danteth," he answered easily. In the short time he'd been at Atricis Weyr, Varren had spoken to his sister's dragon more than he had ever spoken to any at High Reaches. "And obviously I can't do much to help her feed the babies." About all he would be able to do is hold a baby if for some reason she was only feeding one at a time.

He did find the dragon's name for him amusing. After all, he wasn't Finn's only boy anymore. Really, he hadn't been her most important boy since she met Bastian, and now he probably ranked third. Though the new number one would probably be labelled a hatchling for some time yet. "I hope she's producing enough milk. I know some women can barely feed one baby." He frowned, thinking about her diet could affect that, though of course she and Bastian knew that at least as well as he did. Still, it wouldn't hurt to ask her if there were any dark leafy greens she was particularly fond of. They grew quite quickly, and he could plant some extra crops himself.

"I'm the one who should be entertaining you, anyway," he pointed out to Danteth. ""I know that babies are pretty boring at first. At least dragon hatchlings are able to talk from the first day. FInn's babies will be eating, sleeping and nothing else for quite a while now. They're warm, cute, and cuddly, but that's it."
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ember

Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:44 pm

Danteth didn't understand the concept of feeding an infant. When Finn had first tried to explain it to her, the garnet had bulked at the concept. Eggs were meant to be hatched and fed in a different way, not from a human's body. Finn had chuckled and yet again tried to explain what she called "human biology" but once more it hadn't gone over well and she simply stated that the babies were were eating just as they should be. Danteth was glad she could remember that, because it gave her something to report to the boy. Finn told me, not too long ago, that the eggs were eating just as they should be. Does that mean she's producing enough milk? I still don't understand why a human would want to feed them from their own body like that. It's an entirely confusing concept.

They weren't all that entertaining, and were actually pretty dull if she were honest, but her rider loved them and so Danteth didn't complain. But Finn loves them, and so does B'tian, so I don't mind. So long as she is happy, then I shall be happy. Besides, they are kind of cute, if not squiggly and pink. She couldn't imagine trying to cuddle with something that tiny though, even if she cuddled from time to time with the lizard pets in the family. The babies just seemed so delicate compared to the lizards, she'd be afraid of hurting them somehow.

Inside the apartment, Finn was setting the babies in their little cradle, and smiled down at them. "Ready to see your Uncle, precious dears?" She kissed her finger, then touched their noses, then went around to pull out juice for herself and her brother. Danteth? Hearing her rider, the garnet rumbled, somewhat sad that her conversation with the boy was over with for now. They would have to continue it sometime later, she decided, if she happened to remember it later. Finn is ready for you now. You can go inside whenever you'd like.

[ Threads Wanted ]

“It's better to write something, anything, than to starve the monster. The monster must feed. And it will feed on your soul if not your words. Its appetite is insatiable. Write to save yourself from the monster.”
― Don Roff ―
Ainokesshou

Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:38 pm

Breastfeeding was a strange enough concept for some humans to accept, he supposed. It was hard to think of consenting to the use of your own body as food, but mothers did it all the time. It must be even harder for a species that ate nothing but meat. Humans drank herdbeast milk and ate cheeses well into adulthood, though, so the idea shouldn't be so bizarre to them.

"Well, queen dragons make everything their hatchlings need until they hatch, right?" He tried to analogize. "Humans just have to hatch our babies before they can eat normal food, so mothers have to keep feeding them for a while after." He imagined for a moment what it would be like if babies were carried until they were strong enough to walk around, and able to eat solid food. He was pretty sure not a single woman would survive a pregnancy like that.

"Babies are pretty cute," he agreed. "They have to be, since it's the only reason everyone is willing to put so much effort into taking care of them." Baby animals of all types were pretty cute, and he'd even heard of predators being unwilling to eat baby prey animals because of that effect.
Ember wrote:
Inside the apartment, Finn was setting the babies in their little cradle, and smiled down at them. "Ready to see your Uncle, precious dears?" She kissed her finger, then touched their noses, then went around to pull out juice for herself and her brother. Danteth? Hearing her rider, the garnet rumbled, somewhat sad that her conversation with the boy was over with for now. They would have to continue it sometime later, she decided, if she happened to remember it later. Finn is ready for you now. You can go inside whenever you'd like.
"Thank you, Danteth," he said warmly, moving to Finn's door. "I always really like talking to you," and it certainly made him feel special, which he needed as so many eggs had hatched in front of him but wanted nothing to do with him. Even with the invitation, he rapped at the doorframe as he went in, to make certain Finn heard him coming.

"Hello," he said, walking into the room. "Do I get to see the best mother in the Weyr, now?"
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ember

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:24 pm

Finn grinned at her brother's words. It made her smile to receive such a compliment, because she wasn't sure if she was the best mother, but to have someone think that she was... well, she was certainly trying - and according to the twins, she was certainly something special. "Yes you do, and you get to see the most beautiful babies in the Weyr as well."

She brought him his glass of juice and led him over to the cradle to show off her darlings, though he had seen them before. She never let go of a chance to show the babies to visitors, inside or outside of the apartment. "See how big they've gotten since you saw them last?" In reality, they hadn't gotten too much bigger, but in her mother's eye, they were growing by leaps and bounds.

She smiled and reached out for Sebastiran, who grabbed hold of her finger, and she smiled. "They look so much like their Papa. I love it so much, Varren. I never thought I would have them, but now that I do..."[/b] She touched his shoulder. "And you're here to share them with me, which makes it even better." Realizing she was getting into Mama mode, she laughed and sipped from her drink. "But pleases, tell me how things are going with candidacy here before I start talking baby things!"

[ Threads Wanted ]

― Don Roff ―
Ainokesshou

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:15 pm

Varren couldn't really say that he saw much resemblance between the twins and their father; or between the twins and their mother for that matter. Babies at most gave hints of resemblance, and mostly looked like tiny, wrinkly, helpless old people. He was well aware, however, that this was not a safe sentiment to express to the mother of such tiny creatures. He tried looking a little closer, but shook his head.

"You obviously spend more time looking at them than I do, Finn," he said. "But I think it's just that babies just look like....babies....to me. They're adorable, and clearly making some progress with their hand-eye-coordination," he coos at his nephew, grabbing Finn's finger. "I probably won't be able to see the resemblance until they get more....little kid faces, instead of baby faces."

He made a face at Sebastiran, wrinkling his nose and trying to cross his eyes, though he didn't think he succeeded. It kept him from looking straight at Finn, though. "Candidacy is ok," he says. At High Reaches, he had known all the other candidates, and had been deeply involved with some of their lives, one or two perhaps too much. Here, he barely knew any of their names, but that did mean that he wouldn't get distraught over being left behind, or accidentally make another hatchling jealous.

At least Danteth would never get jealous of Finn's relationship with her own brother. "You and the babies are the biggest difference between being here and being at High Reaches," he adds, which isn't really a lie. "Candidate classes are basically the same everywhere, though. I guess there might be a higher percentage of female candidates here, which makes sense I guess since women Impress a wider variety of dragons here? I guess there are female blueriders and brownriders at other Weyrs, but there are a lot more here."
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ember

Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:46 am

She smiled over at her brother as he spoke. She'd known, at some level, that he wasn't likely to see the resemblance to Bast in the babies. But that was okay. She knew that one day he would see it, and that was just fine with her. She ran her thumb over the tiny fingers that held onto her single digit before leaning down to kiss them, and chuckled when Sebastiran's little nose wrinkled in response. "Ah, my love, I love you too." She wanted to lift them up and snuggle them again.

After a while, she couldn't resist.

As she lifted one baby out, she looked at her brother. "Would you like to take out Basiena and hold her for a while? I don't believe you've had the chance to do so yet?" Or if he had, it hadn't been for very long. The two of them deserved to have some bonding time, and she knew he would be good with her.

As she cuddled her son to her, smoothing out the hair from the tiny forehead and kissing it, she listened to her brother speak of candidacy and nodded. "Well, first of all, me and the babies are glad you're a candidate here, but you already know that, I'm sure." She was waiting for him to either take Basiena, or to help get her into Mama's arm. "But yes, there are a wider variety here, more colors, more female candidates... it's not that High Reaches doesn't boast variety either, but the Northern Weyrs honestly, in my opinion, don't seem to have the same numbers that we do. As I've said before, my dear, you'll get your dragon here."

Because, and she still strong believed this. "I was found by Danteth here. It took a hatching or two, maybe three... I can't even remember, it has been so long. All of that time worth it." She had waited, she had Danteth, she had Bast, babies, her brother back. It seemed like nothing could ruin the perfection of her life right now. "But I keep talking about this, saying it, and you're going to eventually get sick of me sounding like a broken harper at a cheap gather. I'm sorry, Varren. I don't mean to be put on repeat like this. I just want you to know that I think you'll find your happiness here like I did."

[ Threads Wanted ]

― Don Roff ―
Ainokesshou

Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:53 pm

Even if he wasn't as doting as Finn (how could he be?), it wasn't a hardship to pick up her daughter. He wasn't an expert, but he had no trouble holding her correctly, smiling down at the little girl. He wasn't looking for any specific features, just glad to see that her face was appropriately proportioned, that she looked healthy. He knew there was some higher risk when women who had struggled with fertility finally had children, and another higher risk for multiples. Finn's babies seemed perfectly healthy, though.

"I will be happy here," he agreed, looking at his niece. Even with Finn's voiced hopes, here he didn't feel like his entire family was watching to be disappointed every time he was left standing. And maybe the problem before had been that he was just better suited to one of the exotic colors that were so much more common here. Opal and pyrite dragons were quite lovely, after all, and he wouldn't mind one at all.

And, well, the day whers were here too. He would be fine, one way or another. He still had 6 turns to keep trying, after all.

"I actually wanted to ask about your plans for the babies once you are back on your wing," Varren asked, looking at Basiena's face instead of Finn's. "I did hope that I could help you by transferring here, and that was before I knew you would end up with twins. I suspect you need the help even more now than when you were pregnant."
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ember

Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:57 am

She smiled as she watched her brother holding her daughter. He was such a little natural with her, even if he didn't realize it. She wasn't sure if she would ever have any other children, but if she did, she knew she'd want to request naming one after him, simply because he'd been such a huge help to her leading up to the birth of the twins. She didn't think Bast would object, especially since he seemed to get along well enough with Varren, though she could have read the signals wrong in that area as well. She turned to her son and kissed the side of his little head. Had she had her other little girl... She closed her eyes, and if she hadn't been holding her boy, her holding would have faltered for a moment. It still hurt, knowing that she would never have the life that she deserved. It was something that she should talk to Bast about, but she kept it tugged close to her heart, and so rarely spoke of to him that she wondered if he thought it didn't bother her.

Maybe she needed to change that, she just wasn't sure how. Thankfully, she was distracted from her thoughts by her brother, who asked her about the care of the babies, and she smiled at that. It was a good to hear that he was interested in helping with the twins, and she shifted her son in her arms gently. "Do you hear that, little bean? Your uncle wishes to help when Mama returns to the Wings. Would you like that?" She tickled him under the chin and grinned when his little face brightened. "I think he does, yes." She turned him so Varren could see and nodded her head before continuing. "That would actually help." She thought it also wise to inform her of her and Bast's decision for their long term care. "Sarami will be transferring South in the coming months to foster them, by the way, but I know she would love to have you help with tending to them. You know them better than she does, after all."

[ Threads Wanted ]

― Don Roff ―