The Lovely Courage | (K'rios/Ember)

Not the large stone caverns that Weyr people are used to, these are buildings built on the top of the cliff, sometimes referred to as the Weyr Cliff. These buildings are all the same size, with multiple apartments for dragonriders to live in in each building. Because of space constraints, dragons sleep in large pavilions built around the dragonrider apartments.
Lanni

Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:11 am

Thirty Turns. Now that really wasn't as remarkable as Impression or the birth of a child really but for Nizhoni it was quite the feat! In all her memory, the Pyrite rider couldn't remember dreading a nameday quite like this one. She wasn't exactly sure why this particular mile-stone was daunting but there really wasn't logic in fearing something. So rather than spreading the anniversary of her naming around to all and sundry only a few trusted souls knew of the importance of the day. Her adopted brothers, her dragon and maybe a handful of others filled out that list. In fact, Nizi was quite proud that no one truly knew of her nameday.

To celebrate the day quietly, Nizhoni had spent the day as if it was any other. Drills, practices, meals, nothing was out of the ordinary. Well at least that was the case until the dinner meal. While she spent the hour in the company of her daughter-niece, her brother and his weyrmate, the small family had embarrassed the brunette with a handful of gifts. From Zhoniya Nizi received a handful of twisted spring flowers into a child's rendition of a crown. From Daezul she received a few more awkward gifts. As a tease to his baby sister and a hint as to his hearing of rumors being spread, Dae had commissioned a set of unique garments for the petite lady. With the instructions to open the gift in the safety of her rooms, Nizhoni could only blush at her brother's veiled hints. Tying into his weyrmate's gift, the green rider had given Nizhoni a skin of good quality wine and a large flask of a more rare beverage. Nizhoni's flush deepened as the teasing continued with Daezul's mention that it was better shared with someone special.

After the family bid Nizhoni good-night to tuck in the exhausted Zhoniya, Nizi made her way towards her own apartment. Inwardly the brunette was debating on the wisdom on inviting a certain male friend of hers to her room for the evening. By the time she reached her door, Niz was no closer to an answer than she was at the Hall. A quick check on Faradeth and Mitzii showed that the petite rider was on her own for the night. The Pyrite dragon was in the middle of a cuddle pile and wasn't likely to emerge from the pile until daybreak. The moonstone firelizard was fast asleep in her favorite nesting spot and didn't respond to the woman's calling. Hesitating outside her doorway, Nizi adjusted her grip on the cloth bag her brother had left the gifts tucked into. "Do I?" She asked herself aloud not caring if anyone heard her. It wasn't until another voice chimed in that she should that Niz realized that she wasn't alone in the twilight. "Whatever it is, life's too short for what-if's. Do it girl!" The older rider commented with a chuckle before he ducked into his own doorway.

Smiling into the growing dusk, Nizhoni felt her feet turn towards another familiar path. Soon her feet had lead her to the familiar doorway of a certain Pewter rider. Raising a hand, Niz called out as she knocked, "K'rios? Are you in?" As she waited, Niz realized what a fool she would look if the man wasn't at home. "It's Nizi.... I.. uh... I have something to share with you," She added grinning ruefully at herself. Hopefully that would entice the man to open his door.
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:22 am

She had cut it rather close, and was lucky it was her, because had she come half an hour prior, she might not have received a reply period. He'd bee out visiting with his daughter, who had insisted he visit on an off night simply because she had the most prettiest picture in the world to show him. After revealing it to him, and discovering that it was indeed the prettiest picture in the whole world, he'd stayed with her for a little while and let her babble about endless things - what father didn't enjoy the babble of his child? - before receiving a hug, kiss on the cheek, and an "I love you Daddy" before being on his way. With his heart warm, he'd gone off in search of a frame for the picture, because there was no way it wasn't joining the "Wall of Prettiest Art", and upon being led to a cute little piece complete with pink hearts, he had it set and returned to his apartment in time to settle back.

Normally, he would be going out right about now, having fun, getting drunk, but with candidate lessons the next day, he had to finish up on the report he owed the Candidatemaster. That's what he was working on when she knocked and called for him. He lifted his head from his work, brow quirked. Work or seeing what Nizi had... well, he could see what Nizi had, then go straight back to his report. It wasn't as if he'd forget what he was working on. Besides, it was only a few more lines, lines he could write in his sleep. Setting down his stylus, he got up and went to the door, opened it up, and leaned forward against the halves that created the opening, smirking while he did. "You rang?"
Dirce L'van D'kellen D'ante V'ric Na'vi K'rios J'on
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Fali'vas Koda'vis Melangell Cataren Sianca Feraliss Yaranavexa Rathiran

Compendium | NPC Archive | Wanted Connections | Marks Tracker | Emporium

[ Threads Wanted ]

“It's better to write something, anything, than to starve the monster. The monster must feed. And it will feed on your soul if not your words. Its appetite is insatiable. Write to save yourself from the monster.”
― Don Roff ―
Lanni

Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:40 am

As she waited for a reply from K'rios, Nizhoni felt her apprehension grow. Did she truly want to break the unspoken boundaries between them? What if her brother had truly given her something she would be embarrassed to show the Pewter rider? It wouldn't be the first time that her brothers had tried to embarrass her and Niz knew it wouldn't be the last. She had just about convinced herself that she didn't need to share her nameday presents with K'rios when she heard a shuffling on the other side of the door.

Blinking up at the man with his smirking face, Niz felt her apprehension fade into the background. Here was the familiar banter between them. Here was the friendship that was slowly growing into something more meaningful. "Of course I did, K'rios. Do you see someone else waiting out here?" She asked raising her free hand to slap his forearm playfully. "Are you going to let me in or am I interrupting something?" As soon as the words left her lips, Niz' mind caught onto what she had said. What if she was really interrupting his plans for the night? What if she had read the change in their teasing all the wrong ways and he already had company for the night? Swallowing suddenly against the lump of emotions threatening to choke her, Niz hoped that the other rider didn't notice the change in her mood.
Ember

Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:50 am

He snorted and shook his head, stepping back to open the door wider. "Not at all. Just paperwork. That can wait." She could not. Right now, he just wanted her company, and he didn't know why it was so important that he receive it. A smile lit up his face as he watched her, though it dimmed some as he considered something. In recent sevendays, in recent months, the dynamic between them had started to shift. They had denied it through various means of course, went on with their separate lives and continued to do their own things.

But there was no denying the fact that at some point, something had started to change. He just wasn't sure when, how, why, or where. A part of him wanted to continue to dig back and consider it, but he didn't dare, in case whatever this was started to shift again - yes, he wanted whatever this was. He wasn't sure why he was deciding for it on the fly, but he needed it. Shaking his head, the man closed the door and moved further inside, sidestepping her to go to the liquor cabinet in the corner. "Can I get you anything to drink?"

[ Threads Wanted ]

“It's better to write something, anything, than to starve the monster. The monster must feed. And it will feed on your soul if not your words. Its appetite is insatiable. Write to save yourself from the monster.”
― Don Roff ―
Lanni

Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:01 am

If Nizi noted that his smile seemed a bit faded, the Pyrite rider didn't comment on it. Assuming that he was thinking about the paperwork he mentioned, Niz offered her own smile at his invitation to join him. Brushing past him lightly, Niz took in the masculine smell of him to help steady her nerves. Her own mind refused to jump onto why she found his scent to be calming. After all she was still trying to figure out just how they had reached this new level in their relationship and if it as all just one sided...

Shaking her head to clear it of her thoughts, Niz latched onto the offer of a drink. "Actually, my brother and his mate already thought of that," Niz offered with a smaller smile as she held up the cloth bag. "Seems they remembered my Nameday despite my wishes," She added with a chuckle and a shake of her dark head. "They gave me a good skin of wine and a flask of something I can't pronounce," Nizi continued as she wondered if she should follow him to the cabinet or find a seat. Hesitating she waited to see K'rios' reaction to her news.
Ember

Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:06 am

"And you came here to share it with me. Nizi, I'm touched." He stepped forward, a smile that was genuine plastered on his face. He held his hands out for the flask, hoping to see what it was. He was a man that knew his alcohols, and thought he might be able to tell her what it was. While he couldn't pronounce, he did have good news for her. "I'm not sure how to say it, but I've seen it before, touched the skin before, and tasted the contents before. This shit is bar none some of the most delicious alcohol I've ever had. Your brother and his mate know their stuff." He leaned out to kiss her cheek, felt his lips linger longer than was deemed appropriate, and pulled back before anything more could be done, tempting though it was. "Go on, sit. I've got to grab something myself."

While she did that, he went over to his desk, to grab something from one of the drawers. It was a gift for her as well, something he'd intended to wait and give her until he saw her next time. Instead, he decided he would just give it to her tonight before she left. Pocketing it, he returned to the sofa and patted it when he realized she hadn't sat down yet. "Come on, or would you rather sit on my lap?" He winked, knowing the banter might put some ease into the tension flowing through the room. Funny... it hadn't been this crazy or intense before she arrived. Then again, whenever she was around, things just heated up between them automatically.

He really shouldn't be surprised by that anymore, he reminded himself.

[ Threads Wanted ]

― Don Roff ―
Lanni

Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:18 am

Grateful for something to do, Nizi handed K'rios the flask. While the motion was over quickly, Niz waited to see his reaction to the contents. A wide smile came to her face when he complemented her brothers' choice. "Of course he does. He's my brother after all," She replied as the man drifted off to find something. Hesitating still, Niz wasn't sure where this bout of nerves was stemming from. Muttering to herself, Niz pondered it a bit before K'rios returned, "C'mon Honi! It's just K'rios. You've known him for how long now?" She asked herself with a slap to her thigh to distract her from the tension in the room.

She didn't notice his return until the sound of his voice broke her thoughts all over again. Swallowing against the nerves again, the petite rider slipped around the side of the sofa to face him. "If I sit there we'll never get to taste what Dae's mate gave me," She teased back. Here was the familiar banter. Tease and return. Choosing to sit close to the tall man instead of on his lap, Niz tossed a teasing smile at him in return. "Dae... He got me a few other things.... Said I had to share them too," She commented glancing at the Pewter rider out of the corner of her eye as she lifted a hand to play with the flowers still perched on her head. "Zhoni gave these to me," She added with a wistful note creeping into her voice as she spoke of the daughter she gave up.
Ember

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:50 pm

He grinned and reached up to touch the flowers, fingers lingering on them, though surprisingly gentle enough not to disrupt them. Then his hand caressed her cheek and he looked like he wanted to say, do something before he cleared his throat and sat back, uncertain if he should make a move, or wait, if he should make any move at all. The tension felt like a compulsion, pulsing through his veins and thumping against his heart. This was different, and new, and it was something he wasn't sure if he could speak to her about or not because it involved her. "He gave you something else?" He asked, hoping doing so would break some of the tension between them.

Sadly it did not, but at last the silence was no longer there, lingering, thick and suffocating the two of them. "How about you show it to me, see if its something I like." He was curious, and certain he would like it - her brother always gave her the most amazing things - but he had no idea what he was in store for. "I'll even close my eyes." To prove that he would, he leaned back and closed his eyes, a grin on his face. Whatever Nizi was doing for her birthday was to surprise him? That made him wonder, but he didn't think to question. It was her day to celebrate, not his day to question her motives.

[ Threads Wanted ]

― Don Roff ―
Lanni

Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:48 am

As K'rios' hand lingered on her cheek, Nizi could feel herself leaning to the warmth and comfort his presence provided. Yes there was a tension in the air around them. Yes there was a change in their relationship, but there was also a sense of... Home... Yes that was it. Being close to him was like being at home. Closing her brown eyes to savor the small moment, Niz didn't notice the indecision in her friend's actions. In fact it wasn't until K'rios spoke up again that the Pyrite rider's eyes opened again. A soft sort of smile came to her face then as she nodded in response to his question. However she was still a bit hesitant to show him. She still didn't know what else lay in the simple bag.

When K'rios offered to close his eyes, Niz took it as a sign. While she had the brief moment, the Pyrite rider snuck a quick look inside the bag. Laying along side the familiar wine skin lay a pool of grey toned cloth. A small gasp left the petite woman as she realized just what her adopted brother had given her. Flushing prettily Nizi pulled out the silky garments and laid one over her arm. The cover Niz left on her lap as she made to poke the taller man's leg. "You... You can open them now, K'rios," Nizhoni said in a whisper as her hand fell back to the soft material on her lap.
Ember

Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:30 pm

He heard her small gasp and wondered what that had been about, but said nothing, only smiled to himself to keep her from further embarrassment if she'd known that he'd heard her. He wondered what she'd found inside the bag, and whether or not it was truly a surprise, or more something she didn't want him to see. If he had to guess though, nothing could have prepared him for what he settled his gaze upon him when he opened his eyes and took in the vision before him. This... was supposed to be her birthday present from her brother? But for what reason, he wondered, not quite grasping the significance of it all for several moments until something hit him, sharp in the gut.

She had brought it to him, to share with him, just as she'd brought the wine with her to bring and share with him.

And suddenly that shift that had been taking place between them seemed to settle in place, at least it did for him, and when he looked at her he didn't see a friend, he saw something - someone - else. It was as though he'd never noticed her before, and yet was seeing her in a light that was all brand new and wonderful at the same time. It was beautiful, truly beautiful.

He didn't respond at first, though it was clear on his face that he was enjoying this beautiful gift of hers. Instead he stood and went to his door, clicking the locks in place. That, he thought, should be her first sign that something had happened in him. The second was when he returned and settled next to her, sat sideways so that he could face her. "If I focus my attention elsewhere for a time, will you put it on for me?" He reached out again, once more to touch her, and this time it was soft. Different. But even he couldn't deny that there was something to the touch turned his bold molten, simple though it was.

[ Threads Wanted ]

― Don Roff ―