Home Is Where The Family Is - [ tag ] - Fawkes / Safryn

Not the large stone caverns that Weyr people are used to, these are buildings built on the top of the cliff, sometimes referred to as the Weyr Cliff. These buildings are all the same size, with multiple apartments for dragonriders to live in in each building. Because of space constraints, dragons sleep in large pavilions built around the dragonrider apartments.
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:37 am

He'd arrived only moments ago, amazed at what he saw from the back of his blue dragon. This was not the Atricis he remembered of so long ago, but then again the one of old had been in the North, built as traditionally as any Weyr could have been. No, this one was much like a combination of Hold and something built into an outcropping of cliff, and T'rav could see now why so much of his family had started to flock to it in the previous handful of Turns.

It's a shame the grounds I hatched upon are no longer here. It would have been nice to visit them again. Not that the blue remembered that moment of course, it being a point in their personal history that had happened so long ago. Yet it was something that he remembered so distinctly thanks to what he was able to pick and pull from his rider; and what he'd asked from T'rav in the days leading up to their transfer.

A true shame. From what he understood though, those hatching grounds collapsing had led to the need for this very Weyr they were now landing in the... was it a bowl? It didn't look like a bowl. It was more like a... courtyard. He glanced around once again now that Mare was on the ground and spotted as much as he could, as many as he could, but none of the faces looked familiar, and he didn't expect the old man to be among them. He hadn't known his eldest son was going to transfer in, and T'rav intended to keep this as much a surprise for as long as possible.

After a quick dismount, he flagged someone down and asked them where he might find the Weyrleader's office, explaining that he was a new transfer from Benden, and once pointed there, he patted his blue's soft, scar-scattered hide. I'll be back just as soon as I can. Make sure you keep close enough to where I enter. It'll make it easier for me to find you when we get a... fuck, do we call them weyrs here? He would find that out as well and shook his head. Never mind now, he needed to go to the office, greet his father, and let him know why he was here. Then he could rest, finally rest, and perhaps... move on.

Don't forget to ask about the clutch.

Ah, yes. Mare wanted to know if any of his clutchmates still lived among the Weyr, and so he nodded and stepped inside the Weyr, headed in the direction of the Weyrleader's office, knocked once or twice, and when he received no answer, he tested the knob. It was loose, the door came open, and he stuck his head inside. "Dad? You in there?" His father wasn't there, and he stepped inside. Make sure Perseus and Polaris get the chance to stretch and play... just make sure they don't come to me but if you unless necessary. He felt a confirmation, as he flipped open extra baskets of glows and straightened books, chuckling as he spotted the drawings of children on the walls and lizard toys in a basket on a shelf.

"Looks like you've settled in quite well, Dad." He closed the door, and removed his jacket, sat down and grabbed a book from one of the shelves to flip through while he waited. Hopefully, it wouldn't be too long before the bronzerider arrived.

Please visit the above link for a list of my current
characters, links to their profiles, to see what
they look like, and find other little facts about them!

[ Marks Tracker | Graphics Shop | NPC Archive ]

“You fail only if you stop writing.”
— Ray Bradbury —
Fawkes
Junior Admin
Title: The Majestic Birb
Pronouns: She/Her, or Birb

Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:25 am

The Weyrwoman was on her way to meet with the Masterhealer, Roman about some requisitions he'd asked for. It had been tricky, but she'd managed to use her contacts and track down a few of the more rare herbs and medicines they were running low on, and she wanted to give him the good news in person. However, there was something L'van had said earlier, he'd mentioned meaning to talk to the healer about something and Safryn thought that perhaps the bronzerider might wish to come along, or at least send word through her if not.

The goldrider gave only the briefest knock at the door, mostly a cursory knock as she was already turning the handle to the Weyrleaders' office and allowing herself in. "L'van, I was just heading down to speak with.... You're not L'van." The redheaded woman began before she even looked up, her words trailing as she spotted not the accustomed gentleman who usually graced this office, but a stranger.

Safryn stood up a little straighter then, realizing that she wasn't in the company of an old friend and so she donned the mantle once more and smiled politely at the man in her partner's office. "Can I help you with something?" The redheaded woman asked, quirking a brow slightly at this stranger, who had seemed to make himself at home in the L'vans' office.

The goldrider moved forward then, settling a hand comfortably upon the Weyrleaders desk as if silently staking her claim on it before this strange man could. He wore no knots upon his shoulder -or perhaps they were on the jacket- and yet she already had him pegged as a dragonrider, the stance, the frame, the way he carried himself, and the scent of dragonhide was undeniable to a weyrbred woman. A courier perhaps? Though they usually weren't sent to wait in the Weyrleaders' office unless the message was important. Safryns' mind worried for just a brief moment of what sort of news this man might hold, and yet she brushed the concern away as smoothly as the wisps of hair from her eyes.

A new transfer was more likely to be waiting than someone who held important news, and it seemed this one hadn't been idle when allowed to poke around the Weyrleaders' office. There was, something about this man though... a familiar feeling, like she had met him before, yet she knew she would remember a handsome face like that. Her eyes narrowed ever so slightly, scrutinizing the man and wondering, well, quite a bit about him.
"You are only given one little spark of madness,
... you mustn't lose it"

ImageImageImage
The Lady . . ~ ~ * ~ ~ . . The Vixen . . ~ ~ * ~ ~ . . The Knight

ImageImageImage
The Matron . . ~ ~ * ~ ~ . . The Joker . . ~ ~ * ~ ~ . . The Princess

Image Image
The Mariner . ~ * ~ . The Heart

#332500/#C1A00C | #8AA259 | #A8482A | #B69064 | #667A8C | #B72334/#C3C3D0 | #181D68
~ Character Tracker ~ | * Marks Tracker *
Ember

Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:42 pm

He could have left, and he was well aware of that. His father was a busy enough man, and he could be counted on to be here later. But T'rav's plan had been to surprise him, and if he left and lingered within the Weyr for too long, the man was bound to find out and that would ruin any chance of getting one up on him. No, it was best if he stayed as long as possible, for Mare to remain where he was hidden among the other dragons where Zen wasn't likely to see him.

"L'van, I was just heading down to speak with.... You're not L'van."

In that moment he was glad he hadn't gotten up to leave, if only then he wouldn't have had the chance to meet who he suspected was someone of importance - someone like the Weyrwoman. His father mentioned working with her before, that she was a good woman with a good head on her shoulders, and it was nice for the chance to meet her and judge for himself. "Not today, but maybe tomorrow." He grinned and winked before closing the book and setting it down on his knee.

"Can I help you with something?"

Then again, he had simply walked in, but that didn't really mean anything either. He closed the book and sat up, holding it against a knee as he smiled at the woman. "Yes, I'm waiting for the Weyrleader. You wouldn't happen to know where he is, would you?" He glanced over at the clean, neat desk and shook his head. "You know, when he was a Wingleader at Igen, I never once saw his desk so in order. I wonder whose doing that was - getting him so neat and in order. Course, it could have been old age, the wisdom that comes with it. It certainly sits well on him, wouldn't you agree?"

— Ray Bradbury —
Fawkes
Junior Admin

Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:43 am

Safryn eyed this man curiously as she leaned further onto L'vans' desk, making it quite clear the position wasn't up for grabs, especially with the little quip about 'maybe tomorrow'. Who was this man who made himself so at home in the Weyrleaders' office?

"Yes, I'm waiting for the Weyrleader. You wouldn't happen to know where he is, would you?"

The redheaded woman held herself up a little straighter and looked rather poignantly at the man and then to the empty room around them. "I thought he would be here, and yet here you are instead..." The goldrider said, perhaps a hint too judgmental toward the strange dragonrider, but she had to admit he had caught her off guard and now she was on the defensive until she found out more about him.

He continued on, commenting on the neat and tidy office around them, and then compared the man who currently occupied it with a younger version of himself... back in Igen? This rider was perhaps an old wingmate of L'vans' then, that would make sense of the familiarity with the bronzerider. Yet that still didn't sit well with her, there was something more about him, something that felt like, she knew him already. She wouldn't have known any of L'van's old wingmates from Igen... so who was this strange rider?

"I do actually, wisdom suits him quite well, and it seems that experience has tamed his once wanton ways of messy desks." The woman said, almost dryly though there was the barest hint of a teasing smirk tugging on her lips. "Perhaps there is somewhere else you can wait for him? If he's not here, I'm not sure when he will be." The goldrider continued, eying this dragonrider once more, raising a brow curiously at him. "Or perhaps, there's something I might be able to do for you instead?"
... you mustn't lose it"

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

Image Image

#332500/#C1A00C | #8AA259 | #A8482A | #B69064 | #667A8C | #B72334/#C3C3D0 | #181D68
Ember

Sun May 12, 2019 2:39 am

He glanced at her with the barest hint of a smile, trying to think about who she might be. There were few people he could think of that might wander into his father's office unannounced, at least that he could think of. Yet there was one person in the entire Weyr that would go where she liked without question. One person that his father had spoken of rather highly, and while he didn't know what she looked like, there was no doubt in his mind that this had to be the woman in question. While he didn't want to address her by her name, as his father had in letter once or twice, he would do the proper thing and address her by title.

"I do have business with him, actually, to have my Wing assigned to me. I'm not entirely sure if that's something you can assist with," the smile on his face grew, and he rubbed the back of his neck, and while not cheeky in nature, it was obvious he was trying to hold back something that was a little more playful. "Weyrwoman Safryn." His hand fell to his lap, and he bowed his head with the deepest respect that he could in her direction. "Its quite nice to meet you. Not every bluerider would get the chance to make the acquaintance of someone such as yourself; perhaps I should not be such a little shit about mine."

That would be wise, given who you speak to. Fun as it may be.

He chuckled. "So my dragon says. But he also says it's fun, so who am I to trust?"

— Ray Bradbury —
Fawkes
Junior Admin

Sat May 18, 2019 11:35 pm

The woman's brow quirked slightly when the man confessed his business with the Weyrleader. Wing assignments, yes, well, that was one thing that she rarely had a hand in, so it would be best if L'van were to speak with this man... but it didn't sit well that he'd made himself far too comfortable in the Weyrleaders' absence. Safryn was just about to say he was more than welcome to wait outside, or even leave his name with her and she'll make sure the bronzerider knew he was waiting... at least it might give her a name to go with that infuriating face.

And then, he called her by name and bright blue eyes narrowed on him for only a moment. Of course, it would be rather obvious who she was, barging into the same man's office, but she had every right to be here while this stranger did not. And then, he continued to toy with her, to even admit as such as with holding his own introduction and despite that cheeky sort of innocence those rugged features tried to portray, Safryn wasn't buying it. The goldrider did not particularly enjoy being caught off guard and put on the defensive, so she was wary of this bluerider and wasn't quite as willing as he to play this little game.

"Since you know who I am, you have that advantage over me... and you should know, that I do not enjoy being at a disadvantage." The woman sat up a little straighter upon the Weyrleaders' desk, sky blue eyes fixing her gaze upon him. "I suggest you remedy that quickly enough rider, for I am losing my patience with your fun." The goldrider added, a sense of that authority and persona beginning to emanate from her as she adopted the tone and poise of the Weyrwoman. She'd had a chance to recover from her initial stunned reaction, and since she still didn't have any answers about who he was, she was starting to get a little flustered. There was something about him.... what was it?
... you mustn't lose it"

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

Image Image

Ember

Sat May 18, 2019 11:44 pm

He rubbed the back of his neck, and started to drop the attitude slightly, though not enough that the grin disappeared completely from his face. He glanced towards the door, as if that'd make a certain bronzerider appeared once he was mentioned again, and soon returned his gaze to the woman before him. "I suppose I should remedy that, yes. If not because of who you are, ma'am, then because of who my father is." He bowed his head in courtesy and his expression softened from grin to pleasant smile, making him appear more respectful rather than teasing as he stood to introduce himself properly.

"He doesn't quite know I've changed my name yet, I don't believe, but I'm sure he's mentioned me at some point." He held out his hand, or started to at least. "T'rav, formerly T'van, of blue Marileth, and eldest son of our dear Weyrleader." Some of that cheek returned to his smile, though it wasn't anywhere close to teasing. "For the record, in our conversations together, he has spoken very highly of you, Weyrwoman."

— Ray Bradbury —
Fawkes
Junior Admin

Sun May 19, 2019 12:17 am

As he spoke up again, the redheaded woman shifted slightly and started to cross her arms as if waiting to hear either another fancy play with words. Yet, the mention of his father gave her pause and her arms never quite folded before her, slipping back to her sides as the pieces started to fall together. The man before her stood to his feet, and her gaze followed him, looking into those eyes and seeing that familiarity before the words were even out of his mouth to confirm it.

Making himself at home in the office, speaking of L'van with such familiarity, that sense that she knew him already, because the bronzerider spoke quite often about his children and she'd heard countless stories about all of them. Most notably however, his eldest... T'van - now T'rav apparently. She weighed both names in her mind as she peered upon this man she only knew by name and yet T'rav seemed to suit him rather appropriately as well. Upon his proper introduction, and the fact that she did at least know this man by reputation, Safryn was able to relinquish some of that prickliness and seemed to even relax somewhat against the bronzeriders' desk.

"He's spoken quite fondly of you as well... Though there are a few choice stories he likes to tell about you too." The Weyrwoman replied, picking back up the reins and keeping herself one step ahead of this man now that she knew who he truly was. She could lower her guard a little bit more, knowing no son of L'van's would ever lay a hand upon her and that she had the upper hand again as partner to this man's own father.

"Well, I'm sure he'll be even more surprised than I was to find you here then..." The woman teased softly, settling back against the man's desk, her gaze still not quite as relaxed as the rest of her though, scrutinizing T'rav and eyeing him, giving him a good look up and down as she filled in all the memories of this T'van she'd heard so much about and putting a face to the new name. "Finally decided to join the rest of your family then? They've all come here to start over too..." Safryn asked, wondering what it was that would send him to Atricis after so long staying away even after L'van had invited him time and time again.
... you mustn't lose it"

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

Image Image

Ember

Sat May 25, 2019 6:13 pm

The fact that his father had told... stories about him didn't surprise T'rav in the slightest. He returned to his seat to settle back down and pushed his sleeves up against the warmth, displaying strong forearms decorated in scars and just a dusting of hair. "I'm sure he has. Though I'm assuming that means he's forgotten about the ones I know of him in return." He grinned a little at that and leaned back, rubbing the back of his neck as he did so. "If you ever want to know anything about him that might give you a little bit of cheek against him, you let me know, I'd be happy to return the favor towards him." He winked then and chuckled when Marileth admonished him for such a thing, but only in a teasing manner.

Transferring South though... he nodded in response, having decided to come to start over for that reason exactly - to start over. To have something new and fresh for himself. He didn't want to give the exact reasons why, but he would state things simply, and with ease. Just enough to let her know how good of a thing this was without making it too heavy of an issue, because it shouldn't be that way - it should remain wholly good, like he'd intended it to be. "Yeah, I uh, lost someone important to me a couple of Turns ago, and waited until my last child Impressed before coming down." He was smiling, surprised when he didn't feel the ache in his heart that he used to, but glad that it was no longer there at the same time. "It was finally time to come South like Dad wanted me to for so long."

— Ray Bradbury —
Fawkes
Junior Admin

Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:14 am

When T'van - no, it was T'rav now she reminded herself, and thought once more that the name suited the man standing before her - mentioned that he had a few choice stories about a certain bronzerider, her brow quirked ever so slightly at the bluerider. Wouldn't that be an idea? Find out a few juicy tidbits about L'van and his previous lives before Atricis and maybe even have a chance to watch the man's jaw drop when she revealed she knew such things about him. Safryns' lips tugged ever so slightly into something of an impish smirk, though it was just a flicker before her features returned to something more nonchalant as if she didn't want to portray the temptation. "Perhaps I'll take you up on that one day." She mused as if uninterested, but the curiosity was there...

"Yeah, I uh, lost someone important to me a couple of Turns ago, and waited until my last child Impressed before coming down." Despite his words though, Safryn noted there was still a smile upon his lips, and where she may have frowned and shown her sympathies, she gave him a soft smile in return as well. She knew the pains of losing those close to you, though hers had been lain to rest long ago and the ache was much duller now.

The goldrider took a moment to wrack her memory of what she'd heard from L'van about the loss... it was a couple of turns ago...and then she remembered... He had lost his weyrmate, and what would have been their child, all in one fell swoop, and Safryn's heart sank into her stomach for even bringing it up... How could she have been so careless? And that was right around the time Shiravani had... No, best not even think about it lest the look in her give her away. Schooling her expression, she kept up that pleasant smile for the sake of the bluerider, not wanting to linger on something painful.

"Well then T'rav... Let me be the first to welcome you to New Atricis Weyr." The redheaded woman said as her gaze sparkled slightly with mirth, and yet there was a devotion there as well, a look that spoke of love and loyalty to her Weyr. "I hope you will find happiness here, many do, though I know our ways aren't for everyone either. " The goldrider added, almost as if fulfilling some of role, or speech she felt compelled to say, but she exactly acting like the Weyrwoman right now either. It was hard not to have that sense of kinship and familiarity already, because she felt like she knew him already despite never having met him in person before.

"I apologize for my earlier rash behavior, but I admit, you caught me off guard, and one shouldn't toy with the Weyrwoman like that." Safryn said, pushing away from the Weyrleaders' desk and there was once again the slightest tug of something teasing at the corner of her lips. She almost, almost, reached a hand up to waggle a finger at the bluerider, yet she refrained and instead moved to the side of the room where there sat a hutch and she was hoping that L'van hadn't moved the bottle.

"However, now I'm curious and want to see what his reaction will be when he walks through that door and sees you here." The goldrider said, turning her back to him as a grin spread over her lips and she crouched down as she opened the cupboard. "Ah, perfect." She mused softly and reached inside to procure a glass bottle filled with an amber liquid and two short glasses to go with it. Safryn closed the cupboard and moved back toward the Weyrleaders' desk, slipping comfortably into the bronzeriders' chair and setting the glasses before her.

"A drink then, because why not? To Atricis, to L'van, to new beginnings... there are plenty of reasons to celebrate, just a little." The woman said, pouring only a fingers' worth into each glass. It was the middle of the day after all, nothing that would do more than add a little warmth. She slid one glass toward T'rav and took the other in her own hand as she leaned back in the Weyrleaders' chair and she smiled softly at the bluerider while she regarded him quietly, pondering everything L'van had told her about him and now seeing him in the flesh... well, it was intriguing.
... you mustn't lose it"

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

Image Image