The Basics -- {Weyrling Lesson}

Like much of the new Weyr, this is a building built in the Weyr Yard. It is a moderately sized building capable of housing up to 48 candidates of each gender at one time. Dragon candidates, Day wher candidates, and even Watch-wher candidates all are housed in this building.
Fawkes
Junior Admin
Title: The Majestic Birb
Pronouns: She/Her, or Birb

Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:37 pm

• Fuzzytimed to the day after the Feast

Weyrlings' First Lesson!

Schedule includes:
  • Portion Control for Hatchlings
  • Proper Bathing and Oiling
  • Common Hide Problems and Treatments
  • Basic First Aid and Anatomy
  • Beginners' Guide to Bonding
That morning, the new Weyrlings were allowed to skip their physical training session in lieu of sleeping in a little more, or taking their time with a leisurely morning after the night of festivities. There would be plenty of time for calisthenics over the next several months, so for now they had a little reprieve before their hatchlings fully woke and craved their breakfast. V'an had spent those extra minutes making sure they would have what they needed when their dragonets got hungry and had portioned out a bucket based on their sizes and planned to show each Weyrling how much their dragon needs. The brownrider wouldn't be getting their breakfast ready for them every day, so they had to learn to do it themselves and the proper amount each growing dragonet would need.

When T'ran stepped forward, the brownrider handed him a bucket that was practically brimming over with chunks of cubed raw meat for the bronzeling. V'an chuckled softly as he teased the bronze weyrling that this was just the beginning, they would be going on two buckets sooner than they knew. The buckets of meat gradually began to get lighter and lighter as the hatchlings grew smaller, down to their smallest little opal in the class, the one who's twin was nearly twice her size.

As the weyrlings fed their dragonets, V'an walked through the rows of them, watching keenly for anyone who might giving those little mouths too much, or too little at a time and would gently correct those who hadn't quite gotten the hang of it yet. Mostly, it was those who'd Impressed from the Stands that were taken unawares into this new life, but Alassiel had been a candidate for Turns before aging out, and R'fael had previously been a dragonrider before losing his blue, so they already had a fair amount of knowledge over the zultanite weyrling, Dirce. V'an had a soft spot for those weyrlings who'd been thrust into this whole new life though, and whatever Dirce needed, he was there to help in any way he could. She may not have had the headstart of candidacy, but she would not go wanting either.

After their hatchlings were fed and satiated, the weyrlings were able to feed themselves and get in a quick breakfast before their first lesson of the day, so while they ate, the brownrider settled himself by the main door of the barracks. As it seemed their meal was wrapping up and most were beginning to glance his way, V'an stood up with a proud smile and announced that their lesson was to be outside today. He pushed open the double doors and let in the sunlight of the mornings' rays and strode out confidently into the day. Behind him, the weyrlings filtered out, but the brownrider did not stop walking, not even when the lumbering hulk of the hound colored brown came ambling over to greet them all. Arigoth gave a croon to the little ones as he gazed out at their shapes with his one good eye, and then fell into place beside the group of Weyrlings, walking with them toward the lake side.

-----

When they arrived at the shores, they would find a whole array of cleaning supplies handy for them with plenty to go around, and several buckets of dragonoil and soft rags to apply it with. The brownrider gave a gesture to all the supplies and then turned back to the weyrlings as they arranged themselves around him. "Now that you all have rested and recuperated, the real training can begin. Up until now, you've just gotten the crude basics, enough to feed and care for your hatchlings while the assistants helped you along. So today, we're going to go over the basics again, but with a little more depth and step by step." For some this would be rather redundant, but for others would prove invaluable, and it was always the first lessons they taught to the Weyrlings. This would not be the only day of this either, each day for the next few sevendays, they would go over a little more, and a little more to expand upon the basic needs and training of their dragonets.

While V'an began to dole out the cleaning supplies, soft sponges or rags with the little pouch of soapsand, he cautioned each of them not to use too much sand against their tender hide. "Just enough to add a little grit as you sponge them down. This will help to exfoliate any dead hide that's ready to flake off, and don't be surprised when you find a patch that comes off all at once. They are growing dragons and their hide stretches and grows with them." After all the buckets were handed out and each of the weyrlings were standing in the shallows of the lake tending to their dragonets, V'an once again moved between them to examine their handy work. "Be sure to reach into every nook and cranny as well, under their legs, the base of the tail, where the wings meet the shoulders, around the base of each ridge and between their toes." He advised aloud, even as he stopped momentarily to inspect Rh'van's work on his brown. "How's his wing doing today?" The older brownrider asked of the young man, nodding appreciatively when he heard it was on the mend. "Glad to hear, I know it's tender but we can't skip a step so be sure to get that nice and clean still, the oiling will help to soothe when we're done." V'an added with a smile to the young man as he moved on down the line.

"As you work with them, talk to them, about anything and everything. Right now, while your minds are still fresh, you're just getting to know each others likes, dislikes, passions, interests. They are just as unique as you are, but you'll always have a common ground on which to stand. Even some of the most opposite pairs find that which brings them together. You're feelings and theirs are so open to each other that it's hard to ignore one another, in time, with a strengthening of the bond, you'll be able to control that a little easier, be able to focus on just one emotion or thought, or even at times shut them out completely when they insist on hounding you over and over again about the littlest thing." The man said as he moved between the weyrlings, the last sentiment said with a hint of fondness as he glanced over into the deeper waters where Arigoth lounged to make sure none of the hatchlings tried to venture too far into the lake. For a time, the brownrider fell silent then, allowing the weyrlings to do as he said, talk amongst themselves and their dragons while he moved about, pausing to give guidance where it was needed.

-----

When all the dragonets were bathed satisfactorily and each weyrling had done it by their own hand, they were ushered out of the lake and onto the shore where they could spend a moment to dry in the summers' sun. "As you bathe and oil your dragon, be on the lookout for anything out of the ordinary. Dry hide is to be expected, but if you aren't attentive it can get worse and began to crack, and skin infections can take root. So for now, they will be oiled at least twice a day to make sure their growing hide stays pliable and soft, but if you notice anything bring it to our attention right away. Other common problems could be parasites, like a tick or mite that could burrow into their hides, these need to be pulled as soon as you find them, or could lead to serious illnesses if left untreated." There were other common issues with dragonhide, but for now that would be good enough, as they would have a whole lesson in classroom in a few days about more of this. "Lets go ahead and get them oiled up now, starting from the top and working your way down, making sure you reach into every nook and cranny once more." The brownrider said, gesturing toward the buckets of dragonoil now that the hatchlings had had a chance to dry a little from their baths and the oil would get exactly where it needed to go.

As he passed by Var'n and his pewter, the brownrider chuckled ever so softly as he glanced at the speckled and mottled hide of the gorgeous beast. "His hide will be a tricky one as he grows, with those colors it will be harder to find the dry patches, but work mostly by feel and you'll definitely find them with your hands. I've found pewters to be one of the harder hides to notice it on, as typically dry hide is a little more gray in color. If you ever need another eye to look him over, I'd be happy to help." V'an offered with a smile and gave the lad a pat on the shoulder before moving on again to watch over the others as they worked. He moved over to the R'fael and offered up the same sort of advice, though thankfully that colorful shimmer would add a little more ease to the mans' work, but he was confident in the newly made-again dragonrider to do right by his sport hatchling.

For the most part, he'd just been talking while they worked, allowing a few moments in between for discussion and giving the weyrlings ample time to get it down right. So far, everyone had been doing pretty good, with a minor hiccup here or there and V'an was ready with a helping hand and a friendly smile. V'an took pride in his job, in his duty to the Weyrlings and he considered each and every one of them to be special, no matter what shade their hide was. He was always here to help, in even the simplest thing and all they needed to do was reach out to him, and he would be there with whatever they needed. The brownriders' watchful eye would always been upon them though, and as much as he loved his charges, he was also responsible for them and wouldn't accept any foul play during lessons or within the barracks. This was when they had to learn that being a dragonrider was not always fun and games, it was real work, hard work that they had devoted themselves to and endured every day for the sake of the dragon by their sides.

----------------

And so, their first lesson is started!!
I gave you perhaps a bit much all at once, so feel free to break it up a little in your responses with each other, I just wanted to give y'all something to work with while I was away!
Feel free to tag V'an if you'd like something more personal with your weyrling, or if they have a question, comment or concern and I'll do my best to respond in a timely manner for you, and if needed can move this along a little further.
Otherwise, it's mostly all there for you, so have fun! <3
This Intoxication Thrills Me,
I Only Pray It Doesn't Kill Me

Safryn ~* *~ Kitiara ~* *~ V'an ~* *~ Ay'li ~* *~ Elysia ~* *~ Kent ~* *~ Isolde ~* *~ Omri'vis ~* *~ Daela
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Weyrwoman || Wingsecond || Weyrling Asst. || Wingleader || Wingthird || Wingrider || Weyr Guard || Strikeleader || Candidate

If You Want Something You've Never Had,
You Must Be Willing To Do Something You've Never Done.

#332500/#C1A00C | #8AA259 | #A8482A | #B69064 | #667A8C | #155710 | #969696 | #181D68
~ Character Tracker ~ | * Marks Tracker *
Ainokesshou

Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:54 am

Tag: Slasher/R'fael
For a brief moment, Var'n considered whether he should be placing himself and Quiloth near the injured weyrlings, to assist in their tasks. Ah'lan wouldn't be able to make much use of that arm....

But he knew that taking care of your dragonet yourself, as much as possible, was supposed to be important and help develop the bond. Besides, Ah'lan hadn't asked, and Var'n shouldn't push himself where he wasn't needed. On top of that, he'd promised Quiloth that the pewter's needs came first. Changing bandages when the dragonets were asleep was one thing, helping take care of Ah'lan's dragonet because of his injury was entirely different. Though if Var'n got Quiloth off to sleep and Ah'lan was still lagging behind because of his one arm, Var'n would have to ask the weyrlingmaster if it was acceptable to help.

So he went to stand by R'fael instead. Obviously his older brother had less need for help than anyone else here, at least when it came to taking care of his dragon. Var'n doubted he need much instruction in bathing his dragon, though he listened respectfully. Like many weyrbred children, he had begged and pleaded to help take care of family members' dragons, and bathing was one of the tasks that riders were most likely to be willing to accept help with. Especially when a rider was injured, or had a particularly large dragon. Or both.

He was a little cautious about the amount of sand he used, though. Quiloth's hide seemed softer to him than an adult dragons, probably because he still had so much growing to do, and Var'n didn't want to irritate him. And remembering Va'n's advice, Var'n started talking while he scrubbed. "That's my brother R'fael," he said quietly to Quiloth, "I mentioned him at the Hatching," and several times since then, though Quiloth slept quite a bit in that time.

I remember, Quiloth acknowledged, looking briefly at R'fael. He was watching, not waiting for his Pavoth on the sands,

Var'n considered how to respond to that, before going with, "The people in charge try to make sure that the people on the sands are the ones who are most likely to Impress," he said, "but they can't get it perfect. All the hatchlings in your clutch were able to find theirs, even if several had to look to the stands."

My Var'n says that ours are brothers, he said to Pavoth, while Var'n kept scrubbing. and I don't think they have as many clutchsibs as we do.

Over the past few days, on the rare occasion that she was awake and not taking care of her new dragon, Aranrod had been forced to face one simple fact: she hadn't been prepared for this. It wasn't the difficulty that was overwhelming. She'd done physical labor while traveling with the caravan after all, yes she was exhausted but she knew that she would adjust.

Nothing had prepared her for the absolute realization that Zenith was the most perfect being to ever exist. How could she not have known, even before Zenith hatched? When the zultanite had been sitting at her feet, and Aranrod had been so tense, nervous, she still hadn't KNOWN. Part of her even tried to wonder how any of the other weyrlings could be so happy, when their hatchlings were nice enough, but they weren't ZENITH.

In the moments she had decent sense, Aranrod appreciated that she never had a talent for writing songs, or she would be adding to the long list of songs about Impression that were (she had once thought) even more ridiculous and cloying than the songs about adolescent infatuation. Even then, she felt overwhelmed by how much she loved her (perfect) dragon. Even new parents couldn't possibly feel this way.

She was a little ashamed that her delight at being Searched had been for the combination of freedom and security; for the best of both worlds that came from having a Weyr to call home and a dragon to take her anywhere she wanted to go. None of that mattered at all, compared to how wonderful Zenith was.

She followed the weyrlingmaster's instructions with a terrified attention to detail, because if Zenith was so wonderful, Aranrod had better do everything perfectly. Her dragon deserved nothing less, but, "I'm so worried that I'm going to make SO many mistakes," she whispered, "I'll do my best, but you deserve better than my best,"

We'll be fine, Zenith answered, as if it was already a certainty. The sky was blue, the grass was green, and there was nothing to worry about. You're perfect.

"I'll make mistakes," Aranrod said again, but she felt a little more confident now, "but as long as I pay attention and follow instructions, I'm sure they'll be small ones and easy to fix."
Quiloth     Elahrairath     Nahumth      
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
   Atumra       Panlovis     Galask  Gask                      
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:59 pm

Tag: Sunaia/Samandirieth
Dirce had hoped for a peaceful rest after such a difficult night. Impression had not been the easy deal that many had made it out to be. Gone were the rainbow eyes and the peaceful sense of being one that had come with the initial contact of mind to mind. The morning after had brought with it a terrible headache the likes of which she had never encountered, and a sick feeling in her stomach that she was certain was not normal.

She had barely made it to the nearest receptacle before things had tumbled out of her mouth, and even then she thought it might not be over. She contemplated not even bothering moving from her cot, but she knew there was a reason she had woken up in the first place, and it hadn't been her state of illness. It was watching her, eyes swirling in hues of orange and yellow, distress pouring from her mind and wrapping around her own. She felt guilty, as if this was all her fault, and all Dirce wanted to do was comfort her.

I should have been more gentle when I came to you. You did not expect me, but I did not wish for anyone else, Dirce. You do understand that, yes? She was trying not to respond too strongly, but Dirce could feel it in her - it was barely contained in her young mind, and she was holding on only just. It was only a matter of time before she let go, and Dirce had to act quick to reassure her, pain in her own mind and body or not. When her rider curled around her, Sandalphonth crooned and relaxed, but didn't ease entirely, and it was clear that she was not one hundred percent convinced. The first indication I get that you're going to be sick again, I'm going to fetch someone. I will not hesitate. I'm telling you this now.

She agreed to it with a nod, but she wouldn't let it be that obvious, if only because she was supposed to be stronger than that. She didn't want the attention on her besides. She just wanted to take care of her dragon, and hopefully get back to her bed in one piece by the end of the day. Hopefully with a bit of klah and some exercise, she would be fine. Perhaps later, she could take someone aside and ask if it was normal to feel ill after bonding. For now... "Let's go get you taken care of for the day, my love. Let's worry about you, for now, please?" The zultanite seemed to agree when her stomach rumbled and her hide started to itch, and so Dirce cleaned herself and her mess up, dressed, and left with her for the day.

Soon enough, it became clear what the day would consist of, and she was thankful to learn what it would consist of. How to feed her dragon, and how to take care of her. There would be so much to learn about, and so much to catch up on. She didn't know half-as much as anyone did. Everyone had a leg up compared to her, and she felt a little lost. She'd been a fisher before this, with no designs for a life of dragonriding. What was she going to do with a dragon she had never anticipated having next to her, let alone being bonded to for life? She looked down at the little thing as she gnawed on another piece of meat and sighed lovingly. She wouldn't trade her for the world, that much she knew, but it was going to be difficult getting used to this new place, this new life.

Suddenly, Sandalphonth started to wiggle where she was, and Dirce was glad she was feeling better, because she started to roll in the meat rather than eat it, smearing herself in the food and getting pieces of it and blood smeared across her hide. When asked about it, she whimpered that she itched horribly, so the woman was thankful when it was announced the next step of their morning was set to begin. Hear... Her head still hurt, so she whispered instead, which the dragon listened to carefully. "Hear that? You're set to have your first bath and oiling. The itching will stop soon enough. You just have to be patient."

Soon enough, her hide was being inspected, though it was difficult to do so with a wriggling dragonet, and eventually Dirce gave up and allowed her to get herself wet. She splashed around a little with some of her clutchmates, before she went out to begin the scrubbing process. Already she could tell Sandalphonth was feeling better, and Dirce smiled fondly at her. This feels lovely, doesn't it, Samandirieth? She spoke to her sister, crooning softly in greeting when she spotted her and her rider nearby.

Tag: Open
It was difficult to move, really. But he was doing his best to adjust as much as he could on his own. He'd been told by the healers what he could and couldn't do, and one of the things that had been brought up was how he could go about tending to his own dragon. He would need assistance, of course, but V'ric was just that touch of stubborn that he didn't necessarily want assistance. Rumith was his darling, his love. If he couldn't take care of her on his own, even while injured, what kind of man - what kind of rider - did that make him?

Oh my love, my darling, foolish love. You must be careful, and you must take it easy. If you hurt yourself in your quest to take care of me, then how can you expect to tend to me in the future? Allow help, and help will ease your burdens. She gently set her head against him, and looked up with a croon, her brown head rubbing against his thigh as she tried to stretch higher up to reach as much of him as she could. This was not something that she was going to let go of easily; she was going to insist upon. He needed to listen to her - she was his Rumith, and she knew just a little more than him when it came to this matter.

Okay, perhaps she had a point. But perhaps he could shimmy his way around the matter without having to go through too much effort. He could work on her himself, while still avoiding outright asking for assistance. For as long as possible, at the very least. What if I sat on the shore, and scrubbed your hide there, while you went in and out of the water, coming to me, going in and rinsing, back and forth, back and forth? If someone approaches and offers to help, then I'll accept help. Until then, I do it myself, inspect you myself, oil you myself. Would that work for you, Rumi? He stroked his fingers over her head knobs, finding in the last partial day that they'd been bonded, that she liked being petted there the most.

Apparently, the combination of words, petting, and feelings coming from him were just enough, because a moment later she melted against him and sighed. You are not playing fair, V'ric my love. But I accept your terms. Get your supplies and find a spot to sit in. We'll have my hide inspected before too long, and then we'll begin my bath. Remember though - whatever happens today will be revisited tomorrow in a different light. He had no idea what she meant by that, but the words were pretty, almost romantic in a way, the way she seemed to speak from time to time.

He pressed his fingers to his lips and tapped them to her head before turning to fetch what he would need. Then he returned to her side and carefully - ever so carefully - settled on the ground, wincing when his stomach which was bandaged and stitched under clothing that was too loose for his comfort, pulled a little. After she had stiffened in concern and he had reassured her, he directed her close and started to go over her hide with as careful an eye and fingers as he could manage from the position he was in. It was difficult to do, but he managed. For his Rumith, he would do anything no matter what.
Dirce L'van D'kellen D'ante V'ric Na'vi K'rios J'on
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Fali'vas Koda'vis Melangell Cataren Sianca Feraliss Yaranavexa Rathiran

Compendium | NPC Archive | Wanted Connections | Marks Tracker | Emporium

[ Threads Wanted ]

“It's better to write something, anything, than to starve the monster. The monster must feed. And it will feed on your soul if not your words. Its appetite is insatiable. Write to save yourself from the monster.”
― Don Roff ―
Caryatid

Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:18 am

Tag: Dirce/Sandalphonth

Sunaia had awakened without the sense of vertigo which had plagued her the day before. Hopefully that meant her mind and body was adjusting to experiencing being linked with another, closer than close. She'd always been an early riser but she was discovering, after only two days bonded, that Samandirieth was going to push her limits there-- the little sport was already hanging over the edge of her couch, batting at the pewter tail-tips dangling over the edge of the couch beside hers. No time to wake up and enjoy the drowsy. She had to scramble to prevent there being a diplomatic incident, before the other infant realized he was being threatened by Sama.

She couldn't bring herself to scold, though. She felt indulgent, she felt adoring and adored. There were no sharp or stern words to be given in the face of the pure love which rose up-- echoed in her own breast-- when Samadirieth realized her bonded was awake. There was such joy in being wrapped up in sunset-hued wings, the world erased by black and white and shimmer.

I thought you'd never wake up! I've been awake for ages and ages and I've been on my best behaviour!

Butter wouldn't have melted in her mouth. All Sunaia could do, as she ushered the beast from her couch to go through the feeding process, was to laugh. "You're incorrigible. I don't think trying to swat someone's tail counts as behaving but... baby steps."

That does make sense, since I am a baby.

The labour which followed was not unfamiliar to Sunny. It was fortunate, really, that she'd had the practice she had-- she could tell already that Sama wasn't going to be a petite dragon. Of a size with the zultanites, there'd be a great deal of hide to scrub and oil eventually. A great deal, if she were to judge based on how much Samandirieth could eat. Thinking back to the joke she'd made to Mar'lus, of starting a business doing nothing but scrubbing dragons, she realized how silly that had been. There weren't enough hours in the day to do this exclusively for more than one of the beasts.

One was enough. But she was going to have to do something about her hair, which was already trying to slip loose of the bun she'd fashioned it into on the walk to the lake. Maybe one of the other weyrlings would be willing to help, if they could find a pair of scissors...

Samandirieth had no complaints. She'd had some time to romp but now she stood splay-legged, wings extended, her throat filled with a rumbling reminiscent of purring while Sunaia attended to the white expanse of her belly with a tiny bit of grit, and a great deal of suds. It feels lovely enough that they should invest a word that means even more lovely, so we could use it. What's bigger and better than perfect? Does your girl know, Sandalphonth?

The sport stretched her neck out to nuzzle her muzzle tip against the zultanite's neck before turning a curious, whorling eye upon Dirce.

"Sama, she has a lot of work to do too, stop trying to make everyone dance to your tune," Sunaia said (without heat) from where she was bent over delicately cleaning the crease between the dragon's thigh and her flank.

Teasing, Samandirieth shot back, But... it's such a bigger than wonderful tune.
Talonflame

Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:11 pm

Tag: V’ric (Ember)
The young woman had to admit that Impression hadn’t all been the gentle, heartwarming experience that those back in Telgar had led her to believe. It hadn’t even been a sevenday since Akath had found her and their bond was forged, and the human half of the pair had found herself sick to her stomach on more than one occasion. The first occurrence, however, had been the most… well, for lack of a better word, exciting. The young garnet, unsure of why her rider felt so ill all of a sudden, had squawked her surprise at the sensation, nearly calling out to a healer to hurry to the woman’s side. Alassiel had managed to stop her, however, and the pair quickly learned that it certainly took some getting used to as far as the rider was concerned. Which, at first, confused Akath to no end, and she had incessantly inquired about it. The best answer that the young woman could give, however, had been that while Akath was born for the bond, she was another matter entirely, having spent twenty-four whole Turns on her own before her dragon burrowed her way violently into the rider’s mind.

Nevertheless, things were the way they were now, and Alassiel wouldn’t have traded a moment of it for the world. They were together, now and forever, and no force on Pern would be able to change that. All was well, and that was what mattered to her as they settled into a place near the shoreline, glancing around in an effort to see who was there, and perhaps who needed help. After all, several of the weyrling riders were injured, and to some degree, some of the young dragons were as well. Particularly Rh’van’s young brown, but she had a feeling that either rider, dragon, or both would be stubborn and insist that they were fine. So she turned her attention towards others, instructing Akath to do the same for the time being. The garnet was well fed at this point, and her movements somewhat groggy from a full stomach, but she listened to her rider with little argument on the matter… for now, that was.

The young garnet chirruped slightly to gain the woman’s attention, swirling blue-green eyes catching sight of one of her sisters. Look, theres your friend, Akath supplied, nipping lightly at Alassiel’s hand to get her to look in the direction she wanted her to. Rumiths rider. You two are friends, right? she asked, glancing at her rider and practically beaming when the woman nodded, if dragons could beam like their riders could. Without any further discussion on the matter, Akath started forward, leaving Alassiel to tag along as she padded her way to stand near her sister and the brown’s rider. Lovely morning, isnt it, sister? she asked of Rumith, pausing only long enough to dip her head respectfully towards V’ric before glancing behind her to try to rush her rider along. Alassiel and I thought that perhaps your rider could do with some help. I trust we werent wrong in thinking so?

You could have waited for me, you know, Alassiel retorted silently to her dragon, coming up beside the garnet and resting her hand along Akath’s shoulder as she struggled to catch her breath for a moment. Shards, she wasn’t used to such exercise this early in the morning. Of course, she would have to learn to cope with it, and soon. Akath seemed to be quite the energetic one in the morning, but Alassiel could have easily chalked that one up to the garnet being so young. Who knew what she would be like once she got older, and things stopped being so new and exciting for her? After catching her breath, Alassiel looked to her friend, smiling warmly and pushing herself back into an upright position, though her hand never left her dragon’s shoulder for the moment. “Sorry if we’re interrupting anything. I'm pretty sure you wanted to see someone else this morning,” she commented, winking as she finally allowed her hand to drift from Akath’s hide, moving instead to help V’ric with scrubbing Rumith. “But I saw that you needed some help, and what sort of friend would I be if I didn’t offer any?”

If there was one thing that he had learned in the last few days since the Hatching, it was that nothing could have prepared him for this. He had thought that his discussion with K’rios would have done a better job than others, who tended to romanticize the entire ordeal, he had learned from the moment that Armaitath had entered his mind that there hadn’t been a word spoken by anyone that came even close to how it actually felt. Add that to the general feeling of nausea brought forth by his injuries whenever he woke, and he was certain that he didn’t want to rise from his cot at any point in the next season or so. But as he awoke that particular morning, the nausea didn’t seem to be as bad, he noted as he reached up, resting the back of his hand against his eyes to shield them from the light for a moment. Instinctively, his thoughts reached out for his dragon, and a relieved smile tugged at the corners of his mouth as he reaffirmed himself that yes, the brown was still there.

Where would I have gone? Armaitath questioned, tilting his head slightly as he rose from his couch, stretching a bit before flicking his wings to his sides. The fact that his rider still needed to reassure himself that their Impression hadn’t been some fever dream brought about by the injuries he had sustained were… confusing, to say the least, but the brown just kept telling himself that it was a phase, it would pass with time. Already Rh’van wasn’t frantically searching for him through the bond every time he woke, so that was a step in the right direction, as far as he was concerned. You are here, so I am here. Its as simple as that. And with that, the brown watched as his rider rose from his cot, his faceted eyes whirling gently in contented blues and greens as he rumbled his amusement at the young man’s concern over not feeling so nauseous this morning. Surely it wouldn’t take long for Rh’van to figure out that Armaitath had bespoken one of the healers, mentioning his rider’s distresses in the morning and seeking to relieve them? Well, even if he didn’t, it had already happened, so there was nothing that the man could have said to change Armaitath’s mind on the matter.

“So it is, m’lad,” Rh’van retorted, his voice somewhat groggy from sleep as he carefully dressed himself, ready for the coming day. He was told that their first lesson would start, and he didn’t want to be late for that in the slightest. They had arrived as swiftly as his unsteady legs could carry him, Armaitath remaining at his side so that if the man happened to start losing his balance, he could quickly reach out to grab him. Feeding went by without a hitch, and Rh’van had made sure to note how full the bucket they had been handed was, so that he could replicate it the next time, when he would have to do everything on his own. The thought of butchering a herdbeast on his own was a bit daunting at first, but he quickly got over it by comparing it to scaling and filleting fish back in his days as a fisherman. Of course, his expertise had laid more in building the ships that he fished on, but he was just as skilled in that aspect of the craft, make no mistake.

And with the brown properly fed, the pair made their way to the shoreline to proceed to the next task; bathing. This was the part that had worried Rh’van the most at the moment, considering both his own injuries and those of his dragon. A nudge from Armaitath told him, however, that the brown didn’t think much about it, instead encouraging the young man to get started in his own way. Everything will be fine, Rhvan. Isnt that what you keep telling me? the brown asked him, tilting his head slightly as he lifted his injured wing, indicating that perhaps they should start there. Though... maybe going gently is the key here, yes?

“Of course it is, clever lad,” the rider responded, smiling warmly down at his dragon as he carefully took one of the provided rags, dipping it just slightly in sand before turning to the proffered wing. And with that, he started scrubbing, careful not to agitate his injured arm nor his dragon’s injured wing in the process. Though it would be scrubbing along the brown’s stomach and back that would prove the most challenging, the young man thought with a heavy sigh as he realized that it would come sooner, rather than later. He would have to bend and stretch in order to reach those places, and the stitches along the wounds in his chest and stomach would hinder him greatly in that regard. “Just don’t fault me if I have to ask for some help later on.”

I would expect nothing less from you. We have to get better soon, and we cant do that if you push yourself too hard right away.
.::| Alassiel of Akath .::|::. Rh'van of Armaitath .::|::. Kyrielle .::|::. D'aen of Rhovanioth |::.
ImageImageImageImage

.::| Saelle |::.

.::| Character Tracker .::|::. Marks Tracker |::.
Ainokesshou

Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:56 pm

Tag: Rh'van/Talon
Aranrod was dragged out of her reverie by her own dragon's attention. Zenith noticed the brown and his rider still having trouble, and that was hardly surprising, there had been several injuries that were too severe to heal this quickly. Aranrod felt embarrassed, though, because she was worrying about little mistakes when so many of her classmates couldn't even move easily.

Still, she knew some people could be sensitive about offers to help, especially men for some reason. She frowned thoughtfully for a long moment, before she made sure she and Zenith took the spot near Rh'van. He was unique in that he and his dragon were BOTH hurt pretty badly, and they were having to maneuver around each others' injuries.

I don't mind, Zenith told her, realizing where Aranrod's thoughts were going. You and I are unhurt. They will heal soon enough and you can give me all your attention. Until then, they need your aid. The zultanite couldn't completely hide that she wished that this wasn't necessary, but it was hardly Rh'van's fault, or Armaitath's, let alone Aranrod's.

Aranrod nodded, smiling weakly at her own dragon. She had no healer training, and was fairly useless with tending to the injuries of their clutchsibs, but she could help out here. "Rh'van," she said, carefully, "if you do what you can without making your injuries worse," and Aranrod didn't know what that would be, but surely he'd been told by healers what he should and should not do, "then I will help with the rest when I'm done with Zenith,"
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Jovia

Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:08 pm

Thankfully Fyrnella had gotten used to waking up early enough from being a candidate, nevermind as a healer she tended to wake up earlier to check up on her supplies before heading out. This morning was no different so once Diosidath started to wake it was time to head out.... Only to find V'an and the rest of the candidates around along with various buckets and various amounts of meat. This was definitely different from other times, and reminded her of lessons as a candidate. So she fell in line and got a bucket and started to get to work getting Diosidath her food. When pointed out that some chunks were too small or she wasn't feeding enough she would turn to stare at her Opal who seemed to stare back at her with a pout.... Oh it was her first time doing it on her own and she was babying the dragon too much.

After feeding they were led to the lake, this was when Fyrn's eyes started to sparkle and open up wide, she really wanted to learn. While eating she had noticed the others around and they were spending as much time on things as well... Well she did want to get closer to her fellows, and there were a few she knew or talked to, but learning and their dragons came first... Maybe she could find some free time to try to approach one to talk to. While feeding she had glanced around at a few who were injured and it looked like they were doing alright. Not like she could really offer up much help and there were others around to help them instead. Now at the lake it showed people were pairing up to at least talk and help each other. Var'n went towards that one man from the stands who impressed on that odd looking pewter... was that the one he mentioned and talked to her about? Inwardly she kind of hoped so, and hoped things would get better.

While keeping an eye open to see if anyone truly needed her help or wanted to talk she headed into the water too. Diosidath followed behind before they stopped at a shallow enough water that the opal's head could stay out of the water easily. "Alright Diosidath, you obviously have to tell me if anything hurts or feels weird alright?" ~Of course, and if we need to help others then okay. I am small so it won't take as much time as everyone else but we have to do me first.~ Fyrnella gave a little nod and a smile, paying more attention to the sponge and sand for a few moments. Using only enough soapsand as one would on a newborn, their skin was always more delicate so she figured a dragonette might be the same.

Gently cleaning the opal, over every nook and cranny with a gentle touch caused Diosidath to halfway lid her eyes with content greens and blues. "Is this gentle enough? Do you want it softer or is it too soft?" ~Just right, right there itchy though.~ It was a spot Fyrn was just cleaning so she was especially more gentle but concentrated and felt the area with her fingertips. It didn't feel wrong though she kept it in mind. Eventually they made it out to dry out, and she checked the spot again and it felt slightly off than the other spots but barely. Whether it was because of her healer training or it really was just that off she could spot it she took the oil and gave a bit more thicker coat in that area and gently rubbed it in. Honestly she was rather dazzled by the little opal's hide, as it looked different and more amazing to her... Maybe some biasness but she glanced over the rest of them but even the other opal didn't seem as amazing to her... Honestly they were all lovely but she was indeed biased towards her own bonded.
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:41 am

Tag: Sunaia/Samandirieth

Sandalphonth wasn't certain, but she wondered if her Dirce would know. She paused a moment as she was being scrubbed, and glanced at the woman carefully, as if trying to deduce if her rider would know or not. But of course she would, because it was her rider, and in the zultanite's world, Dirce knew just about everything there was.

She wriggled carefully, not trying to escape on purpose, but that's what she did in the process, and Dirce gently admonished her for it. Feeling ashamed for her actions, the young creature settled down, but then proceeded to explain what had her so eager. Samandirieth asked if you knew of a word that was bigger than perfect, and I am certain that you do. After all, you are my rider, and my rider knows everything there is. So, my dearest Dirce, tell me - what word exists that is bigger than perfect?

Dirce would have laughed, but the creature seemed so certain and sure of herself, and she didn't know if she could burst such a young bubble. Eventually she would learn that her rider didn't know everything, but did it serve any purpose to tell her, at this young and tender age, that such a thought process meant nothing? It would only upset her, and while she would later forget it, it would continue too cling long enough that Dirce wasn't sure if she would want to live with such a sense of guilt - and even after she forgot, there would still be the memories of the upset on her part.

So she caressed the little nose and resisted shaking her head, instead brushing off the suds that clung to the zultanite's muzzle. "You can tell your friend that instead of perfect, something that exists that might be bigger than perfect is flawless." They were more or less the same, but it would serve the purpose for now, and that was enough for Dirce. She glanced up at Sunaia and smiled, nodded, before glancing back down at Sandalphonth as she spoke to the sport.

Samandirieth! She called out, her voice a pleasant tone, pleased with the answer she had received from her rider. Dirce says that the word flawless is bigger than perfect. So, this feels quite flawless, I suppose? That sounds about right, do you not think so?

Tag: Alassiel/Akath; Mentioned: Israfeth

Rumith crooned when she received the call from her garnet sister, and looked forlornly at her darling V'ric. He was trying so hard, but it was clear to her that he was having a difficult time with her bathing process. She didn't want to say anything to him, for fear of offending or upsetting him in some manner, but it was about time she did what she could to take care of him in some manner. After all, if she didn't take care of him now, how was he going to take care of her in the future? She reached over to gently push his hands away from her, and nipped at his fingers when he tried to reach for her again. My precious love, Akath and her rider are going to help. I am going to tell them yes. Please do not argue with me, or I will speak to Israfeth's rider. Do you wish for her to know you are having issues?

That was enough to silence his protests, and she was a little smug about that. Of course she was going to speak to Israfeth's rider later, but for now, she needed to confirm with Akath that her rider needed assistance, and with that, she turned to her sister and let out another soft sound, making sure her rider could hear as well. Although he might not think so, my dearest V'ric does need help. He is trying to do so on his own, and very well I might add. But another set of hands are much needed right now.

And then, there was his friend, and there was no way to argue away the point. She was wrong though that he didn't want to see Akath, though a part of him did rise in concern when he saw her, just for a moment, before settling back down, and only then did he breathe out in relief, knowing he was fine, that Rumi was fine, and he placed his hands back on his brown with a grimace and nod. "I probably shouldn't even be attempting to do this, but fuck that if I'm not going to tend to my own dragon." He told Alassiel, knowing it was going to be a pain-filled evening later, but it would be worth it to know he had tended to his own dragon.
Dirce L'van D'kellen D'ante V'ric Na'vi K'rios J'on

Fali'vas Koda'vis Melangell Cataren Sianca Feraliss Yaranavexa Rathiran

Compendium | NPC Archive | Wanted Connections | Marks Tracker | Emporium

[ Threads Wanted ]

“It's better to write something, anything, than to starve the monster. The monster must feed. And it will feed on your soul if not your words. Its appetite is insatiable. Write to save yourself from the monster.”
― Don Roff ―
Slasher

Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:20 pm

Tag: Var'n(Aino)

R'fael was more than content to just lay in his bed with the extra few minutes, his mind oddly blank and peaceful considering the sudden turn his life had taken. He finally felt whole again. His eyes were open, but they rested upon Pavoth's sleeping form, just sort of taking the dragonet in. But it wasn't long before he was stirring, and finally lifted his head with whirling eyes, I'm hungry... The man grinned as he sat up, and pulled his clothes on, ”I'll bet...Let's get you fed.” The pair walked out to where V'an was, and saw that the man had prepped the buckets for them. Well, that wouldn't last, but R'fael would enjoy it while it did. With a wry grin, he thanked the man, then turned to Pavoth and started feeding the dragonet, bit by bit. It had been turns, but it all came back to him from when he was first feeding Tureath. Once Pavoth was full, humming softly in contentment, R'fael turned to his own gnawing gut, and quickly filled it. He knew the lessons for the day weren't even close to over.

As V'an had them file out of the Barracks, the man and his sport dragon filed after. As soon as they hit the sunshine, Pavoth's hide and wings seemed to explode with color, it was almost startling if one didn't know ahead of time. It was as if he were two different dragons, depending on the light. With a self-satisfying grin, he reached out and lightly petted Pavoth's headknobs, You're a sheer beauty, you know that? Of course, the man wasn't biased at all.

When they arrived at the lake, and V'an came to stand nearby, R'fael offered his sibling an encouraging wink before the Weyrling master started speaking as he handed out supplies. As the soapsand and the sponge touched his fingers, R'fael stood there a moment, staring at them. He had a sudden flashback of Tureath, and the first bath he'd given the Blue. It felt like those memories belonged to someone else now. As if the man was hearing the story from someone else telling it, instead of in his own mind. But the sport lightly butted his leg, I feel your sad, but your Pavoth is here now. R'fael grinned, ”Yes, yes you are here now. Come on.” With that, the man leaned down, and started gently scrubbing and rubbing his fingers and the sponge into Pavoth's rainbow shaded hide.

When Pavoth heard Quiloth's voice, the hatchling turned his head to eye his Pewter brother before nodding a little, Mine has said much the same. It feels like it might be almost lonely with so few brothers and sisters. We will always have so many others, yet they only have a few. R'fael glanced towards where Pavoth was looking and saw the dragonets looking at each other. With a grin, the man straightened a bit, and looked at Var'n, ”What do you think, eh? Is it everything you hoped it would be?”

Niomi was accustomed to waking up early, a habit still left over from growing up as a drudge in the Hold. She was usually up before the sun was even fully over the horizon, and her fresh Weyrlinghood did nothing to alter that. Even if she would have liked to sleep in more, she tossed and turned until finally giving up and rising. And then sat there, staring at her Green. Seeing Hadranielth dozing still, the woman slowly smiled, her mind just sort of wandering their link, enjoying the sensation of sharing her mind, spirit, whatever was there, with the dragonet. But before long, the green was stirring, and Niomi felt her hunger pains before Hadranielth even had a chance to voice them. They were up and out the door in short order, with a slightly shy, but vocal ”Thank you.” to V'an as they took their buckets. Haddy was a surprisingly neat eater, eager to follow Niomi's lead and wait patiently for the next bite. Once she was full, the girl turned to her own needs, and took her time with her food. She was one of the last to finish, but it was still such a novel thing that she even could sit and enjoy a meal, instead of get it down as quick as she could, that she took advantage of it.

Once she'd and all the other's had finished(she wasn't the last to finish, but it was close), the entire group of Weyrlings headed outside. As the sun hit Hadranielth's hide, she rumbled happily, Oh that feels nice! Niomi smiled at her green, ”Maybe you can have a chance to sun once the lesson is over today.” She felt the dragonets wave of happy at that idea, and smiled.

As they arrived at the shoreline, Niomi glanced around at the cleaning supplies. Well, at least scrubbing things was nothing new to her. When V'an handed her her own, she offered him another soft, ”Thank you.” then turned towards Haddy. Eyeing the green's hide thoughtfully, she did honestly note a few areas that looked perhaps a bit duller than the rest. But she started at her dragon's head, and worked her way down. Just because she saw certain spots, didn't mean all of her didn't need scrubbing. Ooh, this feels nice too! The girl smiled again, ”Good! I promise I'll do it as often as you'd like.”
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
~:Stories:~ ~:Monies:~ ~:Plotter:~
Ainokesshou

Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:45 am

Tag: Slasher/R'fael

Quiloth mostly agreed with Pavoth that having such small clutches must be odd, but, Maybe it is lonely for the ones without dragons, he said, but surely ours will never be lonely now.

The possibility that something could happen to change that would never have occurred to Quiloth, though perhaps Pavoth and certainly their two riders were aware of the danger. Quiloth continued blithely, there is another in their clutch, though. He paused for a long moment, certain that he knew the woman's name, before he continued. She is Danteth's rider.

Var'n knew that, under different circumstances, he would have been nervous about expressing the joy bubbling up ever since he met Quiloth's eyes. There would have been something awkward about talking about how wonderful his dragon was to R'fael, if Pavoth hadn't existed. But now....

He supposed this was more bittersweet to his brother than truly perfect, but it was surely still wonderful enough that Var'n could babble without guilt. "It's even better than I imagined," he said, though he followed that with a yawn. "Of course, it's even more exhausting than I expected, too," he acknowledged. He smiled as much at his brother's dragon as at R'fael.

"I was really happy that you Impressed," he added. "And Pavoth is certainly a beautiful dragon."
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage