A Little Tutoring Goes A Long Way ~ Tag ~ Tyriani / Liakkaya

Like much of the new Weyr, this is a building built in the Weyr Yard. It is a moderately sized building capable of housing up to 48 candidates of each gender at one time. Dragon candidates, Day wher candidates, and even Watch-wher candidates all are housed in this building.
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:05 am

It was difficult at times, traversing the halls of weylringhood when he was a man nearing his thirtieth Turn. But Cat wouldn't trade it for the world, because even through the strangeness of his Impression, he'd received Nako, and he wouldn't give up that little blue for nothing. He smiled as he considered the creature, asleep now in his little cozy cot, and decided the time spent training was going to be worth it, even if there was bound to be rough patches. Like learning how to take care of him.

Right now for example, he was trying to understand a tome of dragonhealing, and as much as it should be easy to understand for someone who was a beastcrafter in partial trade, a lot of it was going over his head, even after the dragonhealing first aid they'd received early on. He simply wanted to know a little more, to be better able to take care of his dragon and what ailed him, though he knew well enough that he hadn't the skills to tend to all matters, that there would be times when it would require a visit to the infirmary to take care of some things.

"Hats off," he murmured to himself while sketching out another round of notes. "To anyone who does this for a living." He'd much rather work in mud pits with his runner, Corvo, or in the stables with some of the other beasts, but those were dreams of yesterday, and he wouldn't get to see Corvo for a few more months yet. Poor thing was going to require all the fruit and sweet cubes he could stuff in his pockets, and even then he might not forgive his owner for "abandoning" him for so long.

At least he had Niomi for company, and knowing her, Corvo would probably have switched his allegiance to her by then. He grinned while thinking of his lady love, and was glad he had someone looking out for the beast while he was unable to tend to the matter himself. There were others in the stable that would do other things as well, considering Niomi had her own duties to tend to, but there'd be a friendly and familiar face for his friend to see as often as possible, and that's what mattered.

But finally he had to close the tome for a moment and rub his eyes, pinch the bridge of his nose, because it was all kind of s tarting to blur together. Part of it had come up due to being unable to look over a simple patch of dry hide on his dragon's hide, and that was something he simply couldn't overlook again. Nako hadn't told him about it, and it was something he should have noticed but failed to recognize. He knew about it now, but what about other things, outside of what they were learning about in the first aid classes? Perhaps, he thought, this was all something he wasn't meant to learn just yet.

Please visit the above link for a list of my current
characters, links to their profiles, to see what
they look like, and find other little facts about them!

[ Marks Tracker | Graphics Shop | NPC Archive ]

“You fail only if you stop writing.”
— Ray Bradbury —
Tyriani
Title: Character Hoarder
Pronouns: She/Her

Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:15 am

Lia, I itch. Can you oil me in the common room? Lia looked up from her own tome and she smiled at the zultanite. Of course love. Let me grab the supplies and I will meet you out there. Skryth needed no other permission to leave her bed and head to the common room, but the zultanite soon stopped, and it was so sudden that Lia almost bumped into her with all of the oiling supplies. What? There is someone out here, and he looked frustrated. Lia peaked around the corner. She recognized him as being someone who just impressed as well, but she didn't recall his name.

You suck with names Lia. Well, I also hadn't been here long before I found you. Skryth started to try to think of something to say, but they heard the man say something then. Come on. Lia walked into the common room with her supplies and she offered a small smile to the man, who seemed deep in thought now. "Does what for a living?" She absentmindedly asked aloud to him before she caught what she did. "Oh sorry, I didn't think before asking that. You don't need to answer if you don't want."

Skryth though, was getting itchier. Lia, oil me now. I itch! Lia put her attention back to the dragon and she nodded. Sorry love. She put down her supplies on the floor and sat beside the dragon. She looked back to the man though and she smiled as she oiled Skryth, it seeming to be of second nature to her already. "I don't mean to intrude, Skryth loves getting oiled out here. I am Liakkaya." She looked at Skryth once before moving to the next spot that needed extra oil.
Ember

Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:22 am

It hadn't hit him that someone else had heard him, or even that he would have been heard, until the other individual spoke. Even then it didn't quite hit Cat that he was being addressed until Nako gently nosed him mentally to inform him that one of his hatchmates was being a bit of a thorn in her rider's side, and perhaps he should offer to help. You're good with animals, C'taren. You should give a hand or two. That's how its put, isn't it?

The man was humored by his dragon, even though he was somewhat close to how it went. Regardless, there wasn't time to consider it or respond to the young blue. He didn't want to be rude to his own classmate, especially when she had her hands full with a dragon that quite clearly was trying to get her attention in the common room. She was going to need help cleaning up after, and he was too kind not to help - he could do that after, and maybe in return, someone might be able to help him with his work. "C'taren, of blue Nakotomith."

He wasn't familiar with her, but then again, he wasn't familiar with very many of the people in his weyrling group. He supposed that came with having Impressed from the stands. This was a chance to change that, he supposed. "The murmuring earlier, I apologize... I'm trying to figure out some things about dragons and dragonhealing in general. All of this is pretty new to me." He watched what she was doing and, recalling his dragon's words to "lend a hand or two", he did so. "Need any assistance there with her?"

— Ray Bradbury —
Tyriani

Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:20 pm

There was a bit of silence, but she paid no mind to it. Instead, she just got to work on oiling the buggy zultanite that was in front of her. Under the left wing please. It is horribly itchy there. Don't worry, I will get to that spot. Your entire hide needs to be oiled. This didn't seem to soothe Skryth, instead, she just started to move more and more to get that one spot oiled. Lia was trying her hardest to keep from making a mess, but sadly, it wasn't working at the moment.

Skryth! Sit still or I can't get you oiled! She was about to give up when she heard the other weyrling speak then and she sighed at her dragon before she looked at C'taren, a true smile on her face. "Liakkaya of Zultanite Skryth." She knew that she was not only new to everyone here, but they were new to her. She wasn't sure what to really do in these situations at times, but right now, she had to do what she was doing. She didn't seem to mind it though. "Oh that is perfectly fine! As you can tell I tend to answer someone else without even thinking on it."

She chuckled softly when she felt a gentle but forceful nip on her arm. "Ow!" She looked at the dragon responsible and Skryth was moving so that she could get oiled some more. "She seems to be quite the handful. If you want to try and keep her occupied you can." Then it hit her on what he was actually murmuring about earlier. "In exchange if you like, I can try to help you. I did some training with the Healers for Dragonhealing. I am sure I would be able to help you out." She offered a smile as she made sure to rub some oil on Skryth's left wing. "Oh, and don't worry. She only bites me when I am not doing things at her pace."
Ember

Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:17 am

Even if she were one to bite others, it wasn't going to really bother Cat. He was used to beasts of all sorts nipping here and there. He smiled and moved to scratch right where Nako liked behind the ridges, hoping that was a place that Skryth might like herself. "Thanks." He finally said, when the "hold the breath" period seemed to pass though it might quickly switch up to the "suck the breath in and back away" period soon enough, and so he remained on edge while he waited to see how the zultanite might react.

At least he knew animals, not that a dragon was exactly the same. They weren't all that different though. Thinking about them in similar terms made him think of his own beasts, each of them within the company of Niomi, and he grimaced at the thought of them, missing them dearly. Soon enough they would be reunited, and then it wouldn't be such a big deal anymore. "How's she doing with this? Am I helping at all or only making it worse?"

— Ray Bradbury —
Tyriani

Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:02 am

When C'taren came over to try and help, Skryth made a move to try and bite Lia because she just wanted to be oiled and not messed with. But the moment he started to scratch her right behind the ridges, she basically melted and was calm. Lia was amazed at this little fact and made a mental note of it. It was something that she was sure she was going to have to do again, and probably within the next few days really. Lia started to vigorously oil the zultanite while she seemed to be in this sedated phase.

It was quite helpful that was for sure. When C'taren asked, she smiled and gave a happy nod. "She seems to love it actually, and it is making it easier to oil her." She chuckled lightly and did a once over look at the dragon. She wanted to be sure that she got all the parts that were extra itchy, as well as any spots that looked like they might need the oiling in a little bit. She put the supplies down and she looked at C'taren then as she wiped her hands clean on a rag.

"Thank you so much for the help." There was a beaming smile on her face and she noticed that Skryth was slowly falling asleep now. Lia focused back on her classmate and she gave a dutiful nod. "Okay, now that Skryth is all oiled. What is stumping you?" She had a small feeling that she would be able to help him some on the dragonhealing. And since they both had a dragon, it was much easier to point out what was where and show how to do something.
Ember

Wed May 01, 2019 4:12 pm

Even though the little zultanite was oiled and tended to, he continued to scratch her, not wanting to make her unhappy. Nako was the same way at times when he had his favorite scratching spots abandoned. As for what had him stumped, he didn't really know, there wasn't any one thing in general, and so he didn't know what to tell her at first. He would have retrieved the text he'd been reading, but as he was otherwise occupied he couldn't very well do that. Instead, he simply remained where he was and figured he could just try and describe things as best as possible on his own.

"I wouldn't say it's something specific, and that's going to make this difficult I think." He lifted a shoulder. "I know plenty about beasts in general. I'm a beastcrafter, so I know them for the most part. But I'm new to dragons. I don't know their inner workings, I don't know how to tend them, and that makes me frustrated because I keep thinking they shouldn't be that much different from, say, a runner to take care of. But I keep realizing each day that Nako is very much different compared to my runner Corvo for example, and I find myself at a loss."

He laughed, because "I know it sounds silly, the way I put it, but that's pretty much wehre things stand for me."

— Ray Bradbury —
Tyriani

Sat May 04, 2019 2:50 pm

Skryth didn't seem to want to have the scratches stopped, but after a few moments of prodding from Lia, she did a little head rub into C'taren's hand as a thank you before she moved to lay beside Lia, who took over the head scratches. Lia chuckled lightly as she watched the little thank you and she shook her head. "That is her little way of thanking you for the scratches." Skryth gave a little hum in response as if to agree and it made Lia sigh lightly.

She listened to him as he tried to explain his confusion and she thought on it. He is used to runners and beasts. How do you think we could help? You could always start with some basic anatomy of us for him. Now that he has Nakotomith, it should be easier. She would kiss Skryth if the dragon wasn't fully covered in oil at the time being. "It makes sense to me honestly. You were trained on beasts and Nakotomith isn't like them. But I think we could always start off with some anatomy. It would be helpful now that you have Nakotomith, and you could always use the book as a reference during down time as well."

Of course, that was if this was going to make full sense. She did get up real fast, to the major protest of the zultanite, and she grabbed the book that he had been reading. She walked back over to them and she sat down before opening it up to a diagram of the outside of a dragon. "I find that this has always been the best way for me to learn as well as to keep practicing." She offered a small smile, in hopes that he was ready to start off slow on the lesson today.
Ember

Thu May 16, 2019 7:57 am

He was glad that he would have a tutor, someone that knew what they were doing when it came to the subject of dragonhealing. He had no idea after all, and it would help give him a little more of an idea when approaching the dragonhealers with his own questions - maybe not with everything, he wasn't expecting to be knowledgeable about everything, but at least he could have some idea about things and not feel like a complete dunce about the subject.

"Thank you by the way. I'm not sure if there's any way I can repay you for your assistance, but if there is, please let me know. I think the most I could probably do is make something in the smithy once we're allowed more time away from our dragons. I've trained as a smith as well, so I'd have no issue doing something there..." A craft for a craft, after all. "Maybe buckles for you and Skryth's gear when you two start flying - I have experience making those."

He thought back to when he made them for Niomi and smiled. "They're actually simple to make." Then he tapped a finger on the book, bringing himself back to the topic at hand with a chuckle. "Not as simple as me paying attention it would seem."

— Ray Bradbury —