The Charge of Youth - Ember | Sianca

The Crafter Complex is a series of buildings that contain craft halls and rooms for the crafters of New Atricis to work. There is a single dorm building for apprentices, while journeyman and masters live in second floor rooms in their respective crafts. Off to the side from the complex is the largest building, the Infirmary, where everyone in the Weyr receives Healer attention and desk workers keep track of who comes and goes at the entrance to the Infirmary.
Shaihulud
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:39 pm

Season - Early Spring 2048
Time - Chores Time (13th candlemark)
Location - Weyr Archives

Under normal circumstances, the start chores signalled to Angela that it was time to slip off to her craft. Losing herself to the archives was one of the few chances she had to escape the company of her peers, which often seemed endless, but on one particular day, Angela failed to escape fast enough. She had dallied, if only to admire Iktomith while K'rios began to hand out assignments to the non-crafter candidates, but before she could move off to her cot, he called on her help.

She was loath to ever deny the man, though she accepted his summoning with undeniable reluctance. "Yes?" asked the candidate of her superior.

His request actually flattered her, if only to a certain extent. Several storage rooms in the archives needed to be reorganised, and due to the delicate and valuable materials of the archives, he wanted her to help sort through the items to make sure nothing of consequence was discarded, and nothing of unimportance was kept. Deep down, part of Angela wondered if Zanyallen was not better suited for the task, but then she recognised that the journeyman's time was far more valuable than that of an apprentice's, and therefore it should be her duty to guide the other candidates.

I am a senior apprentice after all. Angela might not be her sister, but she liked to think herself good enough at her craft to sort out a closet or two. With a quiet nod, Angela agreed.

After changing into a fresh set of attire, and slipping her apprentice knots to hang from her shoulder, Angela gathered her hybrids and made her way down to the archives. A knot of candidates waited by the doors, goofing around by the looks of it. Even more intimidating was the fact most of them had several turns on her. At fifteen, Angela was certainly one of the younger candidates of the barracks, and yet now they were under her ward. She coughed to gain their attention, and hoped they would not give her too much of a hard time. Fortunately, the storage closets were in the line of sight of several journeymen hard at work.

"Hello, I'm Angela. As K'rios said, we have some rooms to clear out. You three can take on this room, you three on this one, and you and I-" she pointed to one of the girl candidates, Sianca? "-can work on the last one. The bags here are meant for rubbish only. Please don't put any hides of any kind in there. If it is blank, or has only a handful of sentence on it, put it in one pile-" she would give it to the journeymen to reuse, for a manuscript of any sort was far too valuable to waste "-If there is anything important on it, put it in another pile, and I'll look over it. Please, don't throw anything away, and do what you can to keep it in order. Same goes for binding. Set it aside, but don't throw it away. Anything else like dry inkwells, broken quills, rusty pen knives, worn threads, etc... you can toss that." Angela hoped she could trust them to use their heads. "If you have any questions, just ask."

Now that everything was sorted, she gave them a nod as a signal that they could get to work. Whether they actually did was they were told though... She tried not to think about it. Instead, she looked to Sianca, albeit sheepishly. "I hope that wasn't too much of a word salad." Did everyone understand her? She had never given orders before, and hoped she did not muck it up or forget anything important.

Image x9 - counted
Last edited by Shaihulud on Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:16 am

Sianca, quiet and shy though she was, smiled politely at Angela as she stepped forward. She had found it very easy to understand, and was glad that it was said so clearly. She held her hands in front of her, not sure if she was supposed to speak up first, or if she should wait for Angela to say something more, but when she realized it was more appropriate for her to speak she felt her cheeks turn a little pink with heat and dipped her head in apology for making her fellow candidate wait. "I actually think that you made a lot of sense. It was all said clearly and if someone happens to be unable to make sense of it..." She lifted her shoulders, not wishing to speak ill of anyone.

She spied the hybrids with the girl and found herself feeling more at ease looking at them than she did when she was around the other candidates. She wasn't sure why, but dragonkin seemed to make her feel more comfortable than she'd ever expected them to. Sometimes she contemplated seeing about getting herself an egg, as she had countless times, but what was she supposed to get one with? And she certainly couldn't ask her parents for the marks. Well, she could, but she didn't want to beg them for any money when she'd had so much trouble getting them to let her come to the Weyr in the first place. Her mother alone would think she wasn't capable if she asked for any sort of help from home.

"I'm looking forward to working with you today. I haven't worked in an archives before so it'll be a nice little learning experience for me." she admitted with a soft smile. "If I make any mistakes, will you please let me know?" She had received the instructions, she knew them and would use common sense, but even so she wanted to know if she made an error so she could properly correct herself and not make the same mistake twice.

Image x8
[ claimed ]
Dirce L'van D'kellen D'ante V'ric Na'vi K'rios J'on
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Fali'vas Koda'vis Melangell Cataren Sianca Feraliss Yaranavexa Rathiran

Compendium | NPC Archive | Wanted Connections | Marks Tracker | Emporium

[ Threads Wanted ]

Shaihulud

Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:19 pm

Experiences of the past warned Angela that her instructions would not be warmly received by some of the candidates, especially the older ones. However, much to her dismay, the candidates went about their work with hardly a fuss. Later, she would realise it likely had to do with the fact they had much to lose if they failed to comply, for discipline could be as severe as being with held from hatching of Lauruth's pending clutch. When considering how infrequent clutches were becoming, such a punishment could define whether a candidate, especially an older one, would ever Impress.

Fortunately, Angela had time on her side now, which was something she feared Emalia would not have once she walked the tables. It would be turns before her twin ever stood on the sands.

"I actually think that you made a lot of sense. It was all said clearly and if someone happens to be unable to make sense of it..."

... Then they're dumber than a gaggle of wherries, Angela mentally finished that which Sianca refused to say. Her peer's response fueled Angela's own esteem. See, you can do it, she thought to herself, to which Daphne chirped in agreement.

"I'm looking forward to working with you today. I haven't worked in an archives before so it'll be a nice little learning experience for me. If I make any mistakes, will you please let me know?"

"Really? Oh...well... I guess I shouldn't be too surprised." Unless someone had reason or want to be down in the Weyr Archives, the likelihood of them visiting it was slim to none. "It's not that often that we get guests or outsiders." The archives were not exactly the prettiest either, not like they were said to be in the North. For now, the Weyr Archives existed purely for function... though Angela heard rumours of pending change. "Though that might change. I heard that the former Weyr Archivist-" Angela's own mother, though she did not need to brag "-had some designs laid out to improve the appearance and function of the Archives by creating a proper Library for the Weyr." Lighting was crucial for an archivist's work, but building a library took time and patience. Now that her mother and father were leaving for Evanoria, the Weyr would have to find a new Archivist, one willing to dedicate time and resources to the creation of the Weyr Library. "But I don't know, we'll see what happens. For now, we work with what we have," Angela continued as she motioned for the storage closet. "And don't worry about mistakes. I doubt I'd let you make them," she smiled to the woman. Sianca seemed so inviting, that Angela found herself at remarkable ease with her. It was uncommon for the normally timid woman, but that did not mean it was impossible.

Reaching over, Angela took one of the glow baskets one of the archivists supplied the candidates with. As they approached the closet, Angela could not remember for the life of her every visiting this particular store. That must have meant it was in horrid condition. The young woman's suspicions were confirmed when she creaked the door open and shined a light upon the cluttered shelves. Each one seemed held together by cobwebs and dust, while several crawlies and a tunnel snake vanished from the offensive light.

And their closet was not the only one. Not far from them, one of the boys yelped and ran from the closet, triggering the burst of laughter from his companions. "It's only a tunnel snake!" one of the girls shouted after him.

"Fuck that!" the boy yelled back.

With a shake of her head at the antics of the others, Angela turned back to regard Sianca. "I think we're going to need a broom for this..." Hopefully, Sianca was not nearly as squeamish as the boy.

Image x9 - counted
Ember

Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:21 am

"I think we're going to need a broom for this..."

Sianca nodded at that. It was quite off in the room, full of dust and Faranth knew what else. But as much as she wasn't fond of the snakes, she wasn't going to rush away from the duties that she'd been given. She put on a brave face and smiled. "I'll fetch the brooms and pans, return quickly enough." And that was a promise she would certainly keep. It wasn't as though she would stay away - she wasn't the type to run off, at least not like her siblings were - and besides that, she wanted to be able to stand at the next hatching. And the one after that if she happened to fail to Impress.

But there was no use considering any potential consequences. There would only be some if she took her time, or drug her feet, like she was for now reason at the moment. She turned and hurried off to gather the cleaning supplies that were needed, fixing up her hair to the back of her head as she moved, and by the time she reached where the brooms and things had been set aside, she had it pinned into place and was working on pushing up her sleeves next. She was pleased she'd worn trousers today for this chore, thinking she wouldn't have been happy if a crawlie or snake had crawled up under her skirt, and shivered at that as she gathered what she'd need.

Then she hurried back to Angela, looking rather pleased with herself when she arrived. "Here we go. Should have plenty to go around, I think." She blew a strand of hair out of her eyes, then tucked it behind her ear when her hands were free. "I'm all set to go, you direct me, and I'll do whatever you need me to do." She knew Angela was better prepared, and she'd rather follow her lead than not.

Image x8
[ claimed ]

[ Threads Wanted ]

Shaihulud

Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:47 pm

"I'll fetch the brooms and pans, return quickly enough."

Angela certainly did not stop Sianca, and instead gave a nod, albeit one of surprised. Not accustomed to anyone actually listening to her, let along obeying an order given by herself, Angela found herself at a bit of a loss, not knowing exactly what to think.

She actually did it, and without hesitation, she thought to herself. Though why should she be so surprised? She was the daughter of Weyrwoman Solange and Weyrleader Ma'lek. The ability to command others ran in her blood, or at least she liked to think as much. So why not command the others? It was not like they knew anything about the work they were doing, aside from what she told them.

... but what if she told them wrong, or misguided them somehow? the more cautious facet of her temperament questioned; her loathing self-doubt. Peeking around the door frame, she regarded the work accomplished thus far by the others, noting the various piles that had scantly begun. What if they threw away something priceless? The Archives would never forgive her.

"Here we go. Should have plenty to go around, I think."

With a careful hand, Angela accepted the broom and stepped back into the closet, recalling where the serpent lay.

"I'm all set to go, you direct me, and I'll do whatever you need me to do."

"We need to get rid of that tunnel snake first, and make sure there are no others. They are probably mostly on the floor under the shelves, but they are small enough to kill with the broom I think-" she thought, though now she did not feel so certain, and the nerves were getting the better of her. What if she damaged something in the process of killing the snake, or snakes? "Have you done this before?"

Ember

Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:04 am

"Have you done this before?"

She thought back to the chore she'd done with Raevin, not all that long ago now, and how difficult that had been on her at first. She'd learned quickly enough, she supposed, and while she didn't exactly care for the task of killing snakes, she knew how to do it now. She gave Angela a nod and lifted herself up, knowing she wouldn't back down now just because something so little didn't appeal to her. It wasn't so much the act itself, but it was the handling of things afterwards, she'd determined. But she supposed if she was going to be a dragonrider, it was something she would have to grow more familiar with. She'd heard through the grapevine that newly Impressed riders, and through the first few months of training, had to chop up and feed their own dragons. If tending to a dead snake made her system upset, she couldn't imagine what tending to raw meat would do to her.

Besides, she wasn't one to back away from her chores. Just because she was well off for the most part didn't mean she was afraid of solid, back breaking work. She wanted to prove herself capable of being where she was. Not only to herself, not only to her parents, but just in general. She wanted to make sure that she earned her position and her place. So that would mean, sometimes, sucking it up and moving past discomfort to do things she might not always like. That didn't mean letting people walk over her, and she would learn not to in the Weyr, that was one thing she knew she'd have to do, but she didn't feel that way with Angela. She got a good feeling from the other girl, and she felt comfortable with her.

Oh, she was thinking too much, and her fellow candidate was probably waiting for a response by now. She grasped her broom and gave a nod again, in case the first hadn't been seen and received. "Yes, I know how to do this, just not with a broom is all." She managed a bright enough smile for Angela and tilted her head slightly. "But I'm willing to learn. It needs to be done besides, and if it gets the task done faster, and safer, all the better."

[ Threads Wanted ]

Shaihulud

Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:33 pm

"Yes, I know how to do this, just not with a broom is all. But I'm willing to learn. It needs to be done besides, and if it gets the task done faster, and safer, all the better."

"Well-" Angela lowered herself down to her knees and glanced at the dark space along the floor. Though the light did not entirely penetrate the narrow gap beneath the shelves, she spotted the silhouette of those bodies slithering in shadow "-We need to get them out... an without damaging anything on the shelves. If we reach for them, they'll bite, and if we don't get them out now while working on the shelves... they might bite..." Really, there was no two ways about it. They needed to deal with them first. "I'm going to use the broom to sweep them out. Then we can grab them and finish them off." After that, they could get to work.

Carefully, Angela positioned the broom at one side of the narrow space, and then, ever so carefully, swept the it clean. Several coiling bodies found themselves at the centre of floor, giving Angela and Sianca a chance to catch them. With one hand, Angela snagged one at the back of the neck, and snapped its neck with ease. "My sisters and I use to do this all the time when we were little. Solai taught me and Emalia, though Emalia was always squeamish about it-" But not Angela, who causally tossed away the limp body.