The Missing Half - Zayn(a) | Parker

The Crafter Complex is a series of buildings that contain craft halls and rooms for the crafters of New Atricis to work. There is a single dorm building for apprentices, while journeyman and masters live in second floor rooms in their respective crafts. Off to the side from the complex is the largest building, the Infirmary, where everyone in the Weyr receives Healer attention and desk workers keep track of who comes and goes at the entrance to the Infirmary.
Shaihulud
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:23 pm

His clarification did manage to reinstate her confidence in him, for Angela had begun to worry her instruction would suffer due to her instructor's own lack in passion. Yes she forfeit her time in Evanoria for her candidacy, but that did not mean she had given up her craft. Until the day she Impressed, she would continue to learn from her work, seeking a purpose until a dragon decided to give her one.

Once they reached her desk, the apprentice stood back to give the journeyman a chance to work his magic. His words did assure her that her own incompetence was not entirely to blame. After all, the hide certainly had not made her attempt to transcribe it an easy one. Yet when he gave the answer, she could not stifle her groan. "Oh Faranth... of course!" Why did she not think of that? Was she so thick as to fail to see the obvious? "I'm so sorry. I should have seen it for myself. I just... it's so hard sometimes, and without Ema, I'm worthless at this sort of thing." Yes she had a good hand, but what a steady hand if she did not know what it was she was writing.

The sort to kick herself when she failed to meet her measure of perfection, the apprentice further began to mentally chide herself, enough so that Daphne slipped from her shoulder to the desk to churr lovingly at her. It was enough to coax a smile from the girl, though still she loathed her own inability. "Shards, maybe I should just stop trying..."
Parker
Site Admin
Title: High Ebilness
Pronouns: He/Him

Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:22 pm

"Oh Faranth... of course! I'm so sorry. I should have seen it for myself. I just... it's so hard sometimes, and without Ema, I'm worthless at this sort of thing."

"Don't apologize. It's a really hard word to read. I'm honestly surprised I was able to make it out." He assured her easily. It really wasn't that big of a deal, not in his opinion. However, it seemed as if she was taking her short coming a lot harder than what he thought she should be. "Well, I don't know who Ema is, but you're not worthless, Angela. Everyone has different strengths and weakness. You put away those books I gave you earlier faster than any other apprentice I've worked with so far." He said, hoping to make her feel a bit better.

"Shards, maybe I should just stop trying..."

Zayn stood up and put a hand on her shoulder. "Now don't talk like that. There is absolutely nothing wrong with messing up or failing, but to not try just shouldn't be an option." Shards, he was sounding like his adoptive father now. Well, the advice was good at least. "You seem to be having a rough day. How about we take a break, get a cup of klah. I know we don't know each other, but if you want to vent, I'm all ears."
Image Image Image Image Image
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Candidate Carver | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

.::..::..::..::..::..
PC Character Tracker | Marks Tracker | NPC Stash
Shaihulud

Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:44 pm

"Well, I don't know who Ema is, but you're not worthless, Angela. Everyone has different strengths and weakness. You put away those books I gave you earlier faster than any other apprentice I've worked with so far."

He would have remembered Emalia if he had. Everyone did, or so Angela always thought. It even caused her personal guilt to worsen, the berth of the void widening in her heart, and once more she questioned whether or not she had made the right choice. It became one of the factors that lead to herself ridicule and the want to give up entirely. Sinking in such self loathing, the journeyman's words yanked her back out of her stupor, much to her surprise. Even more shocking, however, was the hand he had set upon her shoulder.

Aside from family, no one ever touched her, thus she knew not how to take the gesture as he spoke.

"Now don't talk like that. There is absolutely nothing wrong with messing up or failing, but to not try just shouldn't be an option. You seem to be having a rough day. How about we take a break, get a cup of klah. I know we don't know each other, but if you want to vent, I'm all ears."

The suggestion was not at all what she expected, especially as the hand continued to weigh upon her shoulder. It was not so much that she found touch offensive, but unaccustomed to the physical expression of strangers, Angela could only think to step back from him and the assuring hand. Still, she did take his suggestion to heart, and after a moment of thought, she answered. "Maybe I should step away."

Of course, the guilt took her quickly the moment she accepted the offer, if only because it meant she would leave her work unfinished. She hated leaving a task incomplete.
Parker
Site Admin

Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:45 pm

Zayn wasn't exactly what he would called the most touchy of people, but he was a little bit tactile whenever the moment called for it. Like when someone was visibly upset. However, as soon as she took a step back he immediately withdrew his hand and then held them both behind his back. He certainly didn't want to upset her further. That wasn't what he was here for and besides...she was young enough he didn't want her to think the wrong thing, tell her father, and then have to deal with that sort of mess. "Sorry." He immediately said.

"Maybe I should step away."

"Sure, that's fine. Whatever you need to do." Zayn stated quickly. "I tell you what. Just take the rest of the day off. There's nothing pressing here that I can't get done myself. The weather is so nice anyways. It's a crime both of us should be cooped up in here." He offered her with a smile, hoping that would serve to make her feel better.
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Candidate Carver | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

Shaihulud

Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:21 am

Despite her step back, Angela had not, however, rejected his former suggestion. Her gesture came out of a sense of uncertainty, for contact with anyone outside of family was still new to her. Until recently, Angela had led a sheltered life, at least that she could easily recall, though she naturally shared an apprehension of strangers. What caused it, she knew not why, but only that it existed. At night, when she slept, the fear was magnified by the the shouts and throaty growls of wicked men. She twisted in her bed in search of an exit, yet her body would not abide by her wishes, refusing to let her escape. And as they approached, she saw the silhouettes of their massive forms looming over the edge of bed. Gnarled hands reached for her with black nails. The warmth would rush from her cheeks, the very life of her draining with the approach of those hands, calloused, marked, damned by former crimes committed against little girls like her. The faintest brush of those fingers along her throat felt so cold, as cold as death itself. The grasp of those hands never failed to jolt her awake during the darkest nights.

Since her move to the barracks, the nightmares happened more frequently than they ever had when she was with Emalia. She also lacked the comfort that her sister once provided, the assurance that those men were nothing more than a distant dream. When she work in a startle, staring at the unfamiliar blackness of the candidate barracks, it took her half a candlemark to accept she was truly safe. Not even Daphne and Apollo could ease her distress, not until Angela convinced herself that the strange men were never there, and that her mind simply played tricks on her like so many times before.

Suffice to say, Angela had an aversion to touch by strangers.

The journeyman's apology did not go amiss by her, nor did his second suggestion. "I tell you what. Just take the rest of the day off. There's nothing pressing here that I can't get done myself. The weather is so nice anyways. It's a crime both of us should be cooped up in here."

"But didn't you want that cup of klah too?" she asked, confused as to why he had edited his previous offer.
Parker
Site Admin

Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:27 pm

Zayn had no idea how sheltered of a life she had lived....and even if he did that didn't mean he would understand where she was coming from. His adoptive father had not hidden him away out of the sight of those of his small hold simply because he wasn't blood. In fact, he had been rather proud and happy to show him off to the various guests and visitors when he was little, so being social was taught to him early. However, the need to touch to comfort he could blame solely on his father who was the exact same way. Well, his adoptive father, he'd yet to know what his real father was like.

"But didn't you want that cup of klah too?"

He gave her a smile and a wave of his hand. "I'll be alright. I can always grab me one and finish what I was doing. You can just go enjoy that cup without me bothering you." Zayn said, trying to be as helpful as he could. At least he hoped. He certainly didn't want to make her more uncomfortable or on the off chance that he might make her day worse somehow. Zayn didn't like the thought of making anyone's day worse. Well, unless they just deserved it. While he'd never go out of his way to make someone's day worse, even if they deserved it, he wasn't about to coddle someone that was being a little shit.
Image Image Image Image

Shaihulud

Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:55 am

"I'll be alright. I can always grab me one and finish what I was doing. You can just go enjoy that cup without me bothering you."

Bother her? Was that why he amended his previous suggestion? Her brow furrowed at the thought. Zaynallen did not bother. Perhaps she did not want her to bother him? That was something Angela was more inclined to believe. Though not one to pester, she recognised how she could get on the nerves of others. Maybe the Journeyman felt the same as his predecessors.

"I mean... you aren't a bother. But I understand what you mean," she conceded. But would Bellatrix be upset if she caught Angela unoccupied by her duties? Worried by the idea of being caught shrinking her work and being put to task with something less than pleasant, Angela made up her mind to return after a short while. "I won't be long. I'll just grab some klah and a biscuit, and then I'll be back to try again." Angela would not give up the rest of the day, especially at the thought the candidate master prowling about, ready to point a rigged finger at her in accusation.

If it had been K'rios who caught her, Angela thought quietly to herself that would have been even worse. She would hate to disappoint the man, though she would not dare utter why she thought such a thing, and about him of all people. Some things were always better left unspoken, even if Daphne and Apollo crooned at the merest thought of the pewterrider.
Parker
Site Admin

Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:06 pm

"I mean... you aren't a bother. But I understand what you mean. I won't be long. I'll just grab some klah and a biscuit, and then I'll be back to try again."

Zayn gave her a friendly smile. He was glad that she didn't think he was a bother, but he still felt it was for the best if he stayed behind. He was no fool to how the rumor mill worked. Angela was young and he was technically her superior, so it was best to prevent any chance for rumors if he could. He was new here and the last thing he wanted was for stories to be started about him this soon. He was sure that there would be talk soon enough as it was. "Take your time. These things aren't going anywhere anytime soon. If you still need an extra set of eyes when you return, I am still more than happy to help." He assured her before she left to take her little break.

He moved over to the small pot bellied stove that was in the archives and poured himself a cup of klah. It was steaming and smelled wonderful. Then, he went back to his table to finish working on the records he'd been working on. He hoped that the break would help Angela out.
Image Image Image Image