Helping Hand ~ Tag: Tyran/Alt

The Crafter Complex is a series of buildings that contain craft halls and rooms for the crafters of New Atricis to work. There is a single dorm building for apprentices, while journeyman and masters live in second floor rooms in their respective crafts. Off to the side from the complex is the largest building, the Infirmary, where everyone in the Weyr receives Healer attention and desk workers keep track of who comes and goes at the entrance to the Infirmary.
Parker
Site Admin
Title: High Ebilness
Pronouns: He/Him

Thu May 31, 2018 1:32 am

Time: Mid-afternoon

Today was a rest day for Sid'nis, but he was still at a point in his life that he couldn't just relax anymore...well, not without a bottle of something and he was trying to not drink as much. Yeah, he had his moments of weakness, but he was trying. One of the best ways to keep himself away from the bottle was to keep himself busy. The best place for that was at the infirmary. Today was a rather slow day for the infirmary, which was never anything to complain about, but it did make for some long boring moments. Sid knew exactly what to do during days like this...restocking and cleaning.

It was mindless work, really, which was good and bad both. Sid'nis still found his mind could be his own worst enemy at times. Times like this especially when all he was doing was dusting and putting away things. He tried to keep his mind away from darker thoughts and memories. He thought about his kids, thought about the fact that Iolith was going to be a sire again, thought about the next time he and V'an could enjoy an evening of tom-foolery.

When happy thoughts didn't seem to be keeping the darker thoughts at bay he did the next thing he knew that would work. Sing. Sid'nis was a healer by crafter, but his mother had always told him he should have been a harper. He couldn't play any instrument. Honestly, the mechanics of how a person played an instrument was as foreign to him as putting a wing sail back together likely was to a harper. His voice though...it was untrained but pleasant. Generally, this was a habit he kept to himself, which was why he was doing it now as he wasn't expecting anyone to join him.
Image Image Image Image Image
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Candidate Carver | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

.::..::..::..::..::..
PC Character Tracker | Marks Tracker | NPC Stash
Altreis

Thu May 31, 2018 2:54 pm

Infirmary duty...eh it could be worse. Helping the healers stock the shelves and clean wasn't exactly the sort of thing that he wanted to do during his time off, but when assigned a chore Tyran hopped to it. It was part of being a candidate and he accepted that. It might not be fun or glamorous or whatever but he could take some dull work when needed. Someone had to, right? The things sadly would not clean and stock themselves. On top of that Tyran wasn't much of a rebel. He might bend or outright break some rules but in general he was happy enough to do as he was told, get the nitty gritty out of the way, and then relax and have fun.

Thus Tyran showed up at the infirmary, caught a healer who seemed to have a free moment, and let them know he was there to assist in whatever way he could. It was not an unusual request; he was hardly the first candidate to be assigned there for chores. Soon enough he was directed to the infirmary's supplies. Today was helping stock meds and if he got that done quickly enough, some cleaning. It was about what he expected and Tyran thanked the healer for the directions before moving on to do just that.

As he approached the area though, Tyran picked up on a sound he hadn't expected to hear: singing. Not that it was rare for someone to sing but in general he didn't anticipate it happening. Curious, Tyran followed the singing to its source-which happened to be the area his chores were in. If it had been anywhere else Tyran would have had to let the curiosity burn away inside because chores came first.

Of course now Tyran was in a bit of a bind. Did he announce himself and interrupt or...? No. He was here to work and the singer was probably the one he was supposed to assist. Tyran knocked against the nearby wall. "Hello? Excuse me? I'm candidate Tyran, here to help with stocking, sorting, cleaning, whatever is needed. Anything here I can help with?"
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Parker
Site Admin

Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:47 am

Sid'nis had been so engrossed in his stocking that he didn't realize his humming had become soft singing, had become louder singing. It was working though. The singing was making the bad thoughts go away and was making him in a better mood. He always made sure to avoid sad songs and for now songs of love. Those only did him more harm than good. Therefore, like right now, he stuck with songs about happier things. Like the beginning of spring, firelizards, anything light and happy.

"Hello? Excuse me? I'm candidate Tyran, here to help with stocking, sorting, cleaning, whatever is needed. Anything here I can help with?"

Sid turned with a start as he hadn't been expecting anyone. "Oh, hello." He said and put down the basket of things he'd been stocking. "Sorry, I didn't realize that a candidate had been assigned to this area." He went on and moved up to the younger man with his hand extended. "Pleasure to meet you Tyran. I'm Sid'nis, rider of Blue Iolith. I'm also a jouneyman dragonhealer. Please, come on in. I was just getting started really." He introduced himself and then gestured to the stock room.

"Well, there's a little of all of that needing done. Those baskets there hold new items that need to be stocked, but truthfully all of the shelves could use a good dusting." Sid explained as he walked over to the other two baskets. They were filled mainly with bundles of dried herbs, but there was some jars and other things like bandages and sutures. "If you want to grab one of those rags I got that shelf cleared and ready to be cleaned." Sid was use to working with candidates.

"You new to Atricis, Tyran?" Sid asked, making idle talk.
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Candidate Carver | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

Altreis

Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:49 pm

Shards, he'd startled the man. That was the kind of surprise Tyran didn't like but sooner or later he had to be noticed. At least this way he wasn't a snoop and he introduced himself properly. Although...he hadn't been expected?

Tyran frowned, puzzled, even as he reached to shake the healer's hand. "I was assigned here for chores...I don't know why you were not informed. Sorry about that. And thank you Sid'nis, I will come in because I can't help you out here, can I?" He smiled, trying to keep the mood light and friendly.

Inside the room though he was quiet, looking around and listening as Sid'nis spoke. It might have seemed like Tyran wasn't paying attention but quite the opposite was true. His eyes were picking out what was where, especially when Sid'nis started to describe his first task.

"Hmmmm...you sure?" Tyran asked when the bluerider had finished turning to look at him. "I can handle dusting the shelves but if you would rather run the rag over them I could take the things out? Unless...maybe I'd get them mixed up huh? Right, better to have me dust. Hard to mix that up eh? Oh and good idea to dust the shelves before putting more on them though, kudos." He snatched the rag up but then again turned to Sid'nis in case of further instructions. "Anything else before I start? Work might be blah but if I am going to do something I want to do it right the first time." He was still in a perfectly amicable, easy mood. The words were stated as facts, perhaps with a touch of passion behind them, but there was not a trace of irritation to be found.
Parker
Site Admin

Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:06 pm

"Oh don't apologize. It isn't your fault I wasn't informed. The healer apprentices are suppose to keep a schedule of when candidates come and are suppose to hand them out to the journeyman or master healers they're going to be working for. Apparently, someone failed to get me that schedule." Sid explained. He certainly wasn't upset by the oversight, though he knew of some pricklier journeyman that might be. "Besides, I am not as often in the infirmary as other full-time journeyman since I am a rider, but I try and work in the infirmary as often as I can."

Sid'nis listened as the younger man rattled on about what he would do, what he should maybe do, the correct order of things on the shelves, and so on and so forth. He didn't mind the bit of rambling as the man seemed rather relaxed about all of it. He struck Sid as the happy go lucky sort and that was fine by him. Perhaps his good mood would rub off onto him, because he could use some happy go lucky himself. "Oh, you don't have to worry about putting them back wrong. All the shelves are labeled and all the jars and herbs are too." Sid explained and then showed him on the shelves where there were labels.

"Work smarter, not harder, as my dad always said. Easier to clean things while you're messing with them rather than later." Sid said as he began to dust off the bottles and vials that he'd taken off the shelf. "That is a good way to be. No one likes having to do things over and over again." He commented as he looked at the candidate. He was young, but not too young, and not hard on the eyes either if Sid was being honest. "Are you a healer by craft, Tyran, or just happen to get picked for chores here?"
Image Image Image Image

Altreis

Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:59 pm

A foul up in the chain of communication hm? It did happen, even with the most vigorous of efforts. Ah well, Tyran was here now and Sid'nis did not seem the least bit upset. He had been startled but beyond that...nope. In fact he was being quite friendly!

Tyran's eyes followed where directed, notes being taken while Sid'nis explained things. Tyran nodded here and there, letting the rider know he was listening even though for now he was silent. Every little detail was being noted so that he would do a good job. As Tyran had said, he preferred to do it well, do it right, the first time. Griping and half-hearted effort would only keep him at the task longer. Most people knew this but seemed unable to make it happen. Tyran though...he could and did.

"Smart," Tyran commented, "and very efficient. I bet that helps if you guys have to move fast to stock or find a certain item you need for a critical patient." A time when every second mattered, when even an experienced healer might be frazzled and have a difficult time remembering where a certain item was. The labels made it very obvious with a quick flick of the eyes and saved those precious seconds that a life was balancing on.

It seemed there was nothing else Sid'nis was going to say about what Tyran needed to do, at least not for the moment, so the young man settled in to dust the shelves as they were emptied. A small grin tugged at the corners of his lips at Sid's question though. "Chores, definitely chores," he said with a small laugh. "Not that yours isn't a super critical craft but you see...well...I sort of fell in love with carpentry right around the time I could be apprenticed, which was a blessing of sorts. I hadn't had any plans of picking up a craft at first. I was born and raised in a Weyr and determined to be a candidate. Unfortunately my family moved just before I was old enough and I had to go with them...so I suddenly needed to think about learning a craft. We were helping to build Evanoria Weyrhold though and the things the woodsmiths were doing...I was fascinated. I wanted to do that. My training has slowed way down now of course but I still dabble when I can. In fact one of my favorite hobbies is carving small figures, especially dragons. Er...as supplies allow of course. Can't go wasting wood on a fancy."
Parker
Site Admin

Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:11 am

Sid'nis gave the younger man a dimpled smile. "I wish I could take credit for it, but smarter and better healers are the ones that set up this system long before we ever moved south." He stated as he continued to restock the shelves, making sure that the newer supplies went in the back and the older ones in the front. All medicine lost its potency over time, so it was important to use the older ones first before breaking into the new ones. "When it comes to saving lives, every moment counts, so even though this chore seems rather mundane and annoying, it is very important."

The bluerider listened politely as Tyran spoke about his craft and how much he enjoyed it, how he got into it, and what especially he liked about it. Being someone who also enjoyed his craft, even though it had its moments of heartache, knew how great it was to love what you did.

Feeling in a better mood, an almost playful mood now, he put down the jars he held and went over to Tyran. "Carpenter, huh?" He took a hold of his one of his hands and turned it palm up. "Yep, those are hands that are beaten up quite a bit." A wink was given before he went back to what he was doing. "I commissioned a play set from a carpenter here, don't know if he's around anymore. He made for my kids a little weyr set, complete with dragons and riders and herdbeasts. My son loved it. It's amazing what can be done with wood."
Image Image Image Image

Altreis

Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:09 pm

"Mmmmm," Tyran hmm'ed thoughtfully as he began to work on dusting. He was listening to Sid'nis and of course could not help but have his own thoughts on the matter. "Mundane...maybe. Boring perhaps. Annoying...I am not sure how. I guess if I really wanted to goof off and this chore was 'in the way'...but you can say that about any chore. You can also say the same thing you just did Sid'nis: every chore is important. Might not be fun but needs to get done. Each chore is important for its own reasons. Would be really strange if we were doing all this just to keep us busy with undesirable work, you know?"

As Sid'nis had said and Tyran himself deduced for himself, the chores they were working on now helped to save lives by saving precious seconds. Dust...well that could cost seconds if the healers could not clearly see the labels, aggravate allergies, or who knew? Might get into open wounds and Tyran didn't need to be a healer to know that was not good.

Suddenly one of his hands was grabbed and Tyran paused, turning to blink at the dragonrider he was helping. His puzzlement lasted but a couple seconds before he was laughing and playfully tugging his hand away. "As a matter of fact I take excellent care of my hands!" Tyran protested, grinning. "Have you ever tried to do things without yours? Pretty darn tricky. I dare you to try stocking those shelves without your hands involved. You won't get far I'm sure!"

Ah but what was that wink Sid'nis gave him? Playful, flirty maybe? Tyran wasn't quite sure. Normally he'd be all over finding out, particularly if it was the latter, but right now his being a candidate sort of got in the way of such fun. Instead he smiled as Sid'nis recounted a tale of a carpenter in New Atricis.

"I would love to do something like that," Tyran admitted. "As I said I really enjoy carving. I can do some furniture and like frames for artwork but my favorite part of working with wood is the carving. Ask me to decorate, say, a door, frame, the armrests of a chair-I would jump at the chance. Make a play set for kids? In a heartbeat. The more mundane stuff...well I still enjoy it since I get to make something useful and needed, but the artistic side of woodwork is what truly enthralls me."

A glance was given to Sid'nis then. "How about you? Is there a part of the healing craft that calls to you more than the others?"
Parker
Site Admin

Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:20 am

"Each chore is important for its own reasons. Would be really strange if we were doing all this just to keep us busy with undesirable work, you know?"

"There is such a thing called job security, you know." Sid stated with a sideways smirk as he finished making a neat row of the jars of numbweed he'd just put on the shelf. "Most of your boring, mundane, and yet oddly rather important jobs can fall under that category. It's the small things that are done correctly that make a person a more invaluable worker." Hard work and diligence, those were the most important.

"As a matter of fact I take excellent care of my hands!" Tyran protested, grinning. "Have you ever tried to do things without yours? Pretty darn tricky. I dare you to try stocking those shelves without your hands involved. You won't get far I'm sure!"

"I wasn't meaning to imply that you didn't take good care of your hands. I'm sure you do. A carpenter that didn't would be a little bit of a dimglow in my opinion. I simply meant they are beaten up in a way that only carpenter hands could be." Sid'nis clarified as he sat down the bundle of herbs he'd been placing in the shelf and moved closer to show the younger man his hands. "Most riders have somewhat beaten up hands, but you can see...mine are a bit softer than your when you compare them." He did have soft hands, but that was a good thing in his line of work. "There is certainly nothing wrong with rough hands though. It's a mark of character."

"How about you? Is there a part of the healing craft that calls to you more than the others?"

Sid'nis smiled at the man's enthusiasm as he spoke about what he loved the most about his craft. When the question was asked to him he had to pause for a moment and think. Before...well, before...he'd have been able to answer quickly, but after what had happened he hadn't been able to find joy in even the thing he loved most about dragonhealing. "I always wanted to be a dragonhealer, from the time I was little on. Funny enough, never dreamed of being a rider though. I was content with the thought of simply being able to help the beasts that give their lives to save us and Pern. Being able to have become a rider and still practice dragonhealing...well, I wouldn't give that in for all the world."
Image Image Image Image

Altreis

Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:56 pm

An eyebrow was raised at Sid'nis, amusement shining in Tyran's eyes. "Job security...I guess there is that..." he mused out loud, managing not to laugh. "That could be a motivator for some. I never really got around to the 'having to hold a job and support myself' stage. Instead I was an apprentice, briefly a journeyman, and then became a candidate. Chores are what I deal with, not a job per se. Thus I do them quickly but not sloppily. I do them right so I don't have have to spend more time correcting mistakes made later. That has become so ingrained that even if I had a job on the line I'd likely view it that way. 'Get it done now and done right so I can relax later instead of taking my work home with me'. Y'know...minus work I want to do at home, which I'm not sure if that even counts as 'work.'"

But shards, his playful protest had been taken at least somewhat seriously. Sid'nis was going on and on about hands and taking care of them, how rough hands were the mark of a hard worker, etc. Tyran held his hands up. "Easy, I wasn't thinking that hard about it. Just trying to have a little fun. I promise I don't bite; you don't need to explain everything to me. If I went off on everyone who touched me I would be locked up somewhere by now."

His smile was gentle as he quieted, listening further to Sid. Then he chuckled. "Hey, your dragon made a pretty smart choice. Sure they always choose the person that fits them the best but in the case of yours...well if he gets hurt you are already right there! How many dragons have a rider that knows exactly how to heal them? Pretty handy if you ask me!"