Just a Toy? - Tag: D'kellan/Ember

The Crafter Complex is a series of buildings that contain craft halls and rooms for the crafters of New Atricis to work. There is a single dorm building for apprentices, while journeyman and masters live in second floor rooms in their respective crafts. Off to the side from the complex is the largest building, the Infirmary, where everyone in the Weyr receives Healer attention and desk workers keep track of who comes and goes at the entrance to the Infirmary.
Parker
Site Admin
Title: High Ebilness
Pronouns: He/Him

Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:47 pm

Deary, I don't know how to put this delicately so I'll not waste the effort in doing so. You've become quite a bit obsessed with this little contraption of yours. Ylpeysth told her rider who was currently working on one of the larger tables inside the largest section of the forge. One side of the building had a large window that was currently open to allow some of the heat to escape. It was from that window that she now watched So'cles. It still seems like nothing more than a very interesting toy for children. Perhaps he comment could have come off as unkind, but the two of them worked out ideas like this all the time that he knew she didn't mean it rudely.

So'cles was covered in dirt and soot from working with metal. "That's because right now it is nothing more than a fun toy. I just can't help but feel like it could be more. Something...big even." He spoke to her as he finished forge welding an end to a small sized metal rectangle that was made out of the thinnest metal he could manage. Jutted from two sides of that rectangle was small hollow metal pipes bent ninety degrees and facing the same direction, similar to the little sphere he'd made before. The little...toy as Ylpeysth called it...looked akin to a wagon as he had attach rudely made wheels onto it, but the body was fully enclosed save for the opening of the pipes that rested a little more towards the top of the rectangle than near the wheels.

Once the piece was cooled down in a barrel of water he inspected it and found the welds to be satisfactory. After that he took a pitcher of water and poured water into one of the narrow pipes, but didn't fill it the entire way. Then, he sat the "wagon" over a low candle and waited. It took a bit, even with the contraption not being made that thickly of metal, but eventually the water inside heated up and as that steam released through the two pipes it began to move forward. So'cles face lit up as it moved forward slowly, even Ylpeysth looked in closer, but as soon as the entire thing was moved off of the flame the contraption rolled to a slow stop. Well, that was anti-climatic. She commented with some disappointment. The disappointment was etched arcoss So'cles's face as well. He wasn't sure what to expect, but he expected something more than....that. "Yes, it was. Hmm..." He assumed the thinking position as he rolled the toy wagon back on top of the flame and watched it do the same thing again. "Perhaps...if there was a way to keep the flame under it..." He began to think out loud but then heard a noise. He looked up to see another person standing there looking at him. "Yes, can I help you?"
Image Image Image Image Image
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Candidate Carver | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

.::..::..::..::..::..
PC Character Tracker | Marks Tracker | NPC Stash
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:22 pm

Duke wasn't for certain how it could have become broken. He'd worked hard to ensure all of his pieces were packed carefully prior to his transfer South, and yet he had opened the one crate to find one of his most precious belongings resting in parts when it had been an original whole. In the beginning it had been a clock, a beautiful antique that his Master and mentor Cersei had left to him prior to her death, and now he was scratching his head, trying to figure out how it had come to be in the current state it was in. There was still padding and everything on all sides, so there was no logical explanation as to what had taken place between Fort and here. He had to bring it to someone to fix it, that's all there was to it. The old piece had been given to Cersei by one of her Masters, and probably to that man by one of his. There was no way Duke was going to leave it to rest in shambles.

So he started to ask around, wanting to see if there was anyone within the Weyr who could conceivably put something complicated back together again. He made sure that those he spoke to were aware that the clock was a mess, that he didn't think anyone could make sense of the pieces it was in. But time and time again, one name was brought up, and that name was So'cles, a greenrider he was assured could put together any contraption - with his eyes closed no less. Duke wasn't sure if he believed it himself, but he wanted to give the man the benefit of the doubt, and so he decided he would take the crate with him to this So'cles' workshop and let him take a look at it, see if he could do anything with it and if he could well then... he would be rewarded handsomely for it, and perhaps win some praise from Duke himself in the process.

When he arrived in the crafter complex, he found something that took him rather by surprise. The man was had to be So'cles, there was no other in the space, and this was clearly his work area. But it was his appearance that grabbed Duke's attention the most. It was difficult to look at a male and describe him as "beautiful", but in this instance, he thought the word fit like a glove above the description of handsome, and there was nothing wrong with that. It wasn't what took him off guard though, the matter that shook him was how quickly he found himself attracted by what he could see of So'cles, as he hadn't felt that kind of pull towards someone in a long time and...

You are staring.

Hmm?

You are staring, and those thoughts are impolite.

Be that as it may, he wasn't able to squash them down, or his want to look at someone as lovely as the greenrider. It almost threw him once again when he heard the man speak in a clear accent that was unfamiliar to him. He tried to place it, knew it had to be from somewhere in the North, or perhaps gained from someone in the South, but it only - for Duke at least - added to the bronzerider's desire to be near him. "Yes, can I help you?" Right, he had to be polite and not stare now, perhaps maybe with starting by putting the crate on the floor and offering a hand? "As a matter of fact, I'm hoping you can help. I didn't mean to disrupt you though. Is this a bad time?" He offered his hand, and found himself staring once again when he caught sight of the other man's eyes. Oh yes, this was not going to be an easy visit...
Dirce L'van D'kellen D'ante V'ric Na'vi K'rios J'on
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Fali'vas Koda'vis Melangell Cataren Sianca Feraliss Yaranavexa Rathiran

Compendium | NPC Archive | Wanted Connections | Marks Tracker | Emporium

[ Threads Wanted ]

Parker
Site Admin

Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:56 pm

So'cles stood there and waited for the man to finally speak, though it seemed as if he....a bronzerider according to his knots....was content to just stare at him. He wasn't use to people staring at him. His work yes, that was fine, but him? No...it made him a bit uncomfortable as one who didn't particularly care for social graces and situations. Yes, he dealt with them, he knew how to be civil, but that didn't mean he liked to be social in any true sense of the word.

"As a matter of fact, I'm hoping you can help. I didn't mean to disrupt you though. Is this a bad time?"

One eyebrow rose up curiously as the man finally found his tongue. The apology of interruption was noted and tucked away as a mark for the man. Some didn't have the decency to realize that he wasn't just there to serve them. Annoying and rude, that's what that was. His steeple-placed hands were lowered to his side as he turned and moved toward him. The object, more like pile, in the man's arms was obviously the reason he was here. Not hard to guess that since he'd specifically said he was hoping he could help. "Yes, in fact, I am in the middle of something, but I have reached a point where I need to stop and think on modifications anyways, so I have a moment to help you." His words were brusque and could be considered rude, but something about his tone made it devoid of any true wish to insult the man for his timing. Still, the comment earned a reminder from Ylpeysth to be polite.

"The name is So'cles. I would shake your hand, but they seemed to be the only thing keeping these pieces from falling to the ground. I assume this is what you need my help with." He stated in a deep baritone. His eyes shifted quickly over the object and shifted color with each tiny movement. It gave an almost...galaxy effect as the light hit them differently with each move of his head. "May I ask what it is suppose to be?"
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Candidate Carver | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

Ember

Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:12 am

"Yes, in fact, I am in the middle of something, but I have reached a point where I need to stop and think on modifications anyways, so I have a moment to help you."

Duke wondered if he should go. It wasn't like him to leave, but between his own strange behavior when it came to this man, and the attitude on display, he figured it would be best if he wasn't around at the moment. He knew an unwelcome behavior when he saw one, felt one, and this certainly was an anti-social attitude if ever there was one. But he could also be a selfish asshole, and he wasn't quite ready to leave, unfortunately for the brusque greenrider. He was just going to have to suffer through company a little bit longer while Duke took is time because how else was he going to get a fine fix of his appearance before departing? "Ah, well, all the better for me I suppose, though I wouldn't mind getting a look at that contraption of yours before I depart. It looks rather interesting from what I managed to catch of it at the entrance of your workshop." He ignored the soft rumble of amusement that came from Wojoth.

"The name is So'cles. I would shake your hand, but they seemed to be the only thing keeping these pieces from falling to the ground. I assume this is what you need my help with ... May I ask what it is suppose to be?"

He was going to as if he could set it down somewhere, then perhaps go on to explain what it was that the pieces were. But he was trapped, first by that voice - You sir, how dare! - then by those eyes, and Faranth... how did a man, or any being for that, have eyes like that? He leaned in, looking at them with a curious lift to his brow, and would have continued in that manner had Wojoth not informed him of his actions. Perhaps he would have continued, because he wanted to drown in those everlasting galaxies, but he knew he needed to do something. What was it again? The reminder of the weight in his hands told him, and he looked down to see the crate of pieces. "Shit..."[/b] Shit indeed, was he making a fool of himself!

With a flush on his cheeks, he started to look around, feeling so out of sorts with himself that he didn't know which way was left and which was right. Wojoth was being more tease than help, so he didn't even bother trying to rely on the normally soft bronze. "Is there a place I can set these down at? Its an old clock of mine, an antique really, a few centuries old that somehow got blitzed during my transfer South. I have no idea how it happened either."

[ Threads Wanted ]

Parker
Site Admin

Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:35 am

"Ah, well, all the better for me I suppose, though I wouldn't mind getting a look at that contraption of yours before I depart. It looks rather interesting from what I managed to catch of it at the entrance of your workshop."

So'cles turned to look at the contraption where it now rested still on the table. A frown pulled at his mouth as his brows furrowed in irritation. Like the toy contraption had purposefully insulted him in some way. "Oh that...It's more of a disappointment at this point, but if you really wish to see it I can show it to you." Duke had stumbled upon the one thing that So'cles was willing and happy to discuss at more length than other topics...inventions. Granted, most of the time the people who asked him about something regretted it because he could ramble and a lot of the things wouldn't make sense to someone who had no idea how smithing worked. From where she watched from the window, Ylpeysth noticed the bronzerider's odd behavior.

"Is there a place I can set these down at? Its an old clock of mine, an antique really, a few centuries old that somehow got blitzed during my transfer South. I have no idea how it happened either."

So'cles gestured towards the large work table as it had the biggest area to spread the broken parts out on. Thankfully the greenrider had not noticed the way the way the man, who'd yet to give his name, leaned in to try and get a better look at his eyes. He certainly wouldn't be the first to take note of his odd eyes or say something about them. So'cles really wasn't sure what the big deal was. They were eyes, they did what they were suppose to, he certainly didn't know why his was different than others. Once the crate was sat down he immediately began to pull out the pieces and put them in order according to what piece would go where. Then he began a close examination of the wood.

I'd close your mouth, deary, if I was you. That look is only becoming on fishes. Ylpeysth spoke directly to the bronzerider without letting her own rider hear her. There was a teasing and amused tone in her voice. She had more understanding of human interactions than her human did most of the time. If the man looked for the voice he would see her dappled, and black horn adorned head staring directly at him through the window. I'm sure it was unintended, but you also forgot to introduce yourself as well. She went on to hint.
Image Image Image Image

Ember

Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:01 am

Duke's eyes were on the man, on his work, on what had been done and picturing what might be done as well. He was worried it wouldn't be put together again the right way, or that it wouldn't run the same way. Of course it wouldn't, but that... wasn't the point. He just wanted the damn thing to work again. He stepped up behind the greenrider and watched him and his work carefully. "Can you tell me a little bit about what you're doing right now? If it isn't too much trouble, of course, I don't want to be in the way of things..." He asked, genuinely curious about what the process would be.

I'd close your mouth, deary, if I was you. That look is only becoming on fishes. ..... I'm sure it was unintended, but you also forgot to introduce yourself as well.

In a Weyr, anything was possible when it came to dragons, some more than others. This was an instance where he knew he shouldn't be surprised, but he very much was instead. His eyes shifted at once, pulling away from the man to look around for the source of the voice, and when they tugged at the horned green dragon at the window, he knew that it was her. There was a moment of silence between dragon and rider-stranger (for that's what he was to her, after all) but it lasted so briefly he couldn't help but wonder if he'd been seeing things for a moment. Can it really be helped, dear beauty, when I find your rider as beautiful and wonderful as I do?

Still, she was right, absolutely and completely, so he decided it would be best to turn to her rider again, and offer his hand. Perhaps a shake, maybe seek out that contact and imagine those fingers - long fingers, delicate fingers, fingers that were scarred and likely rough at the tips... He shivered at the spine and tried to push the delicious thoughts aside and he smiled and held out his hand, offering a set of wriggling digits in invitation. "I've been a very poor customer, and I need to apologize for that." He was smart enough to realize that his green might not want him sharing the secret of her little talk to him, and so he kept quiet about it. "D'kellen of bronze Wojoth but... I prefer being called Duke."

[ Threads Wanted ]

Parker
Site Admin

Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:30 am

"Can you tell me a little bit about what you're doing right now? If it isn't too much trouble, of course, I don't want to be in the way of things..."

Normally, So'cles would have likely completely ignored such a comment...leaving it up to Ylpeysth to explain that he preferred silence when he worked, but again the man was lucky that he'd asked just the right question and in just such a way that the greenrider was feeling generous. "Words don't get in the way, but bodies do. Mind moving a little more that way? You're blocking the light." So'cles said in away that was again a bit rude but there was no bite to his words. Deft fingers continued to sort the pieces before any progress was made on fixing it yet. "Currently I am sorting the pieces to get a better understanding of what is suppose to be connected to what. Clocks, as I'm sure you're aware, are complicated things. The wrong piece in the wrong spot could render the entire item useless. After that I will examine the pieces to see if any are broken and need to be replaced. Including the wood, though from my cursory glance, they only appear to have come apart and not broken." He explained.

Can it really be helped, dear beauty, when I find your rider as beautiful and wonderful as I do?

If dragons could laugh then the one the man received from Ylpeysth would have been a dainty and heartily amused one. Listen to you! Sounding, no doubt like the bronze you ride, like a bronze wishing to win the favor of a female about to rise. She couldn't help but tease the man. It was far too easy and he was far too obvious. It was a blessing her beloved So'cles was oblivious to it. Take my advice, dear, and don't set your hopes on anything. My So'cles is far more interested in the pile of rubble you brought in than in any flowery words you could say to him.

"I've been a very poor customer, and I need to apologize for that. D'kellen of bronze Wojoth but... I prefer being called Duke."

So'cles pulled his eyes away from expecting a particular piece as he noticed the extended hand. While he was anti-social it wasn't as if he had a phobia of touching people, so he easily reached over to give the man's hand a polite shake. "Duke it is then. I prefer So'cles, but many tend to shorten it to just Cles. If you wish to do so I will not be upset or offended. Excuse me." He answered and then moved over to a shelf to get down one of his other inventions. It looked like a pair of rider goggles, which it had been, but it had several different gadgets and gizmos sticking off of it. He put that on his head and pulled up a stool and some better lighting, then went back to inspecting.
Image Image Image Image

Ember

Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:55 am

"Words don't get in the way, but bodies do. Mind moving a little more that way? You're blocking the light."

Wait... he was being asked to move? For a moment, he had to wonder if he was reading things wrong. But he didn't think he was. Perhaps he just needed to try another tactic when it came to trying to gain So'cles' attention? Well, he shouldn't say that he didn't have none of it, because he did have some of it... just not the kind he truly wanted. He wanted lots of it, just not the types he was receiving at the moment. His jaw set a little as the man explained himself, and when there was a moment to speak, he did so. "Yes, thank you. I want this clock to receive a full repair package. It's a.. .sentimental piece to me, so I'm wanting it to receive very impeccable care if possible." At least it wasn't too damaged, or so he was hoping would be the case when all was said and done.

Take my advice, dear, and don't set your hopes on anything. My So'cles is far more interested in the pile of rubble you brought in than in any flowery words you could say to him.

He tilted his head and glanced again a the window. What makes you think it would be all pretty words that I would employ? Perhaps I intend to appeal to his intellect instead? He turned back to the man, having a feeling that it would take something like that instead of words of prose and pretty things to attract his attention. I can be a patient man, beauty. I can give it time if need be... This wouldn't be the first time he'd spoken to another's dragon - he had with his weyrmates' back at Fort, the last time having been before he'd transferred away. Thinking that brought back a painful surge of thought, and he swallowed back the sick feeling the memory returned to him. No, today wasn't a day for the past, he told himself before forcing his attention back on the inventor-smith.

"Well, Cles, I..." But by then the man was rifling around, pulling out the "glasses" that looked too odd and slipping them on. Duke wondered if it would even matter trying to talk to him, and he decided against it. For now at least. There was still plenty of time in the day, and plenty of day left in the sevenday. He'd get to him eventually, he decided. Patient, he just needed patience...

[ Threads Wanted ]

Parker
Site Admin

Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:18 am

"Yes, thank you. I want this clock to receive a full repair package. It's a.. .sentimental piece to me, so I'm wanting it to receive very impeccable care if possible."

Ylpeysth watched in silent amusement as Duke...as he was called...seemed to be thrown for a loop at the rather blunt question of being asked to move out of her rider's light. She recognized that was how So'cles treated everyone. He certainly didn't mean it to be rude, but also didn't recognize when he was being such. "I will take the same amount of care with your clock as I would any item I am working on. You have my word." He was not the sort to toot his own horn, as it were, so that was as close to a 'don't worry it's in good hands' as the bronze rider was going to get.

What makes you think it would be all pretty words that I would employ? Perhaps I intend to appeal to his intellect instead? I can be a patient man, beauty. I can give it time if need be...

Again, another wave of amusement. Oh my...I am probably an awful creature for finding so much entertainment in watching those like you try to win over my rider, but I do. The green admitted honestly. Appeal to his intellect? Well, there is something that has never been tried before. And you figured it out so easily. She couldn't help but say in a playful sarcastic tone. I do so apologize. In my amusement of your predicament I have neglected my own manners. My name is Ylpeysth. I truly do hope you're as patient as you claim. The last bit she said was with a tone of hidden knowledge.

"Well, Cles, I..."

"A bit ridiculous looking, I know. They help me to inspect smaller pieces easier." So'cles explained before the man could really say anything about his specialized viewing goggles. He'd heard it all before about them. All the while he was talking, a lowering this and that lens, he was continuing to look at the object. Finally, he pulled the goggles up after looking over the wood pieces. So'cles was nothing if not meticulous. "Good news there doesn't seem to be in irreparable damage. I should be able to get it working better than new." He stated with a triumphant smile. It always felt good to know he could fix something.
Image Image Image Image

Ember

Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:11 pm

"I will take the same amount of care with your clock as I would any item I am working on. You have my word."

Duke wondered if he should reveal how he'd come to see Cles in the first place. Would telling him of the recommendations help at all? Perhaps it might - later, he would think it was a good idea because it would appeal to him for a different reason completely. Standing out of the way this time, no matter the fact that he wanted to be close (he'd caught the scent that seemed to cling to the greenrider and Faranth, no one was allowed to smell so delectable, especially not men like Cles) he crossed his arms over his chest and watched the other man as he worked. "I'm not sure if it at all matters, but I come on the recommendation of others. I asked around to see who I should go to about the repairs, and each time you were the one that was mentioned as being the best."

Oh my...I am probably an awful creature for finding so much entertainment in watching those like you try to win over my rider, but I do.

The fact that he wasn't the only one that wished to win Cles over didn't surprise Duke as it probably should have. The man he was looking at was attractive, of that there was no doubt. Even with his... brusque manner, he was certain there was someone worth knowing underneath the shelled layer, and he was determined to get beneath it. He could be patient, he supposed. He wasn't used to the cold shoulders he was receiving, or the lack of reception, having gone from being a "golden boy" of Fort to lacking any substance or rank here at New Atricis. But that just meant the duration of the chase, and the efforts he put into it, between himself and Cles would be all the more sweet, and there'd be more substance there than just 'Let's go to my apartment for the "real" payment...'

Appeal to his intellect? Well, there is something that has never been tried before. And you figured it out so easily.

He glanced at her, shifted from foot to foot. He was sensing sarcasm and genuine wit. Rather than being offended by it, he found himself smirking in her direction. He liked this green. You're an amazing creature. Never change. That being said, he would have asked her to give him some sort of idea of how to appeal to her rider the, if doing so by intellect wasn't going to do the trick. But he figured she wouldn't do that, out of concern and protectiveness for Cles, so he kept the request firm to himself. You'll have to trust me, please. I don't intend to hurt him, if that's a worry you have. I'm not going to fuck and run either. I have more pride and honor than that. A second time on this day he thought about his former weyrmates and his stomach rolled. I've been hurt before, I wouldn't do that to another person. Besides, I don't even know what it is I intend at this moment, only that I intend something at some point.

I do so apologize. In my amusement of your predicament I have neglected my own manners. My name is Ylpeysth. I truly do hope you're as patient as you claim.

Even with his last appeal, he figured she would find some humor in it, but rather than feel offended, he decided to roll with it. Extending a mental hand of warmth, Duke smiled in her direction and tipped his head, placed two fingers against his forehead and saluted her in silence. You shall see, Ylpeysth. Perhaps it will take me longer than I'm anticipating, but anything worth having usually takes time. My Wojoth would say that such a phrase could be said of he and I - we weren't found by each other until I was later in my life. It was one example that he could offer her, though there was more than one that he could provide; he was prepared to do so for as long as she required it of him, if she did at all.

"Good news there doesn't seem to be in irreparable damage. I should be able to get it working better than new."

That was fantastic and Duke was going to punch the air and grin in return because his clock wasn't going to be a piece of shit after all! He hadn't f ailed Cersei's gift, and it was going to be repaired better than new. But that expression of triumph, the way it made Cles' mouth curved just so, the way his galaxy eyes became twin orbs of swirling power, the manner in which his face just seemed to light up... Yeah, this was going to be difficult to pull off, this slow little seduction when it seemed like everything the greenrider did or said was setting him off. But it would be worth it in the end. Shaking himself of the images - most of them highly improper and making even Wojoth wish he could become flushed red - he swallowed down whatever words wanted to tumble out and instead kept things relatively safe. "Well, obviously, I indeed came to the best. You've been sent to me at the best possible time, and I'm thankful for that. Do you have any idea how much this is going to cost? I've the marks, I'm willing to pay above and beyond what you have in mind for her."

[ Threads Wanted ]