Here to Muck <Tag Cataren>

This is where all of Atricis' livestock is kept, and where the dragons and whers often feed. Beastcrafters are often in this area, with a building with small offices and living spaces nearby for the beastcrafters.
LdyPayne

Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:47 pm

Tag Cataren / Ember

It had been stupid, plain and simple. Zilelmos knew he should have ignored the taunts, the way one of his fellow Candidates was pushing around the kid or better yet just told one of the Assistant Candidatemasters. Instead he had walked up and body slammed the bully, knocking him prone. Which of course was seen by the Assistant Candidatemaster who picked that moment to show up. Zilelmos didn't protest the punishment, fighting wasn't allowed as was clearly stated in the rules. It was his first offense and no real harm done to the bully he knocked over so being assigned extra chores in the stables seemed fair to him. It was work and work was what he preferred to do between lessons and chores anyway.

While all the other Candidates were enjoying free time Zilelmos made his way to the Stables dressed in his oldest tunic and trousers. No point wasting his better work clothing on Stable duty. He was told to report to one of the Beastcrafters who was overseeing the stables at the time, a name he didn't recognize which wasn't a surprise. He hadn't been at the Weyr all that long so every name was new to him.

"I'm Candidate Zilelmos here to do extra work," he told the first person he saw at the stables.

OOC: Let me know if this setup doesn't work.
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:47 pm

Working in the stables was always one of Cat's favorite things to do. Not only did it give him the chance to check up on his own beast, but it allowed him to work with the others that might need a little bit of an extra touch within the stables. Today though was a different story, he was needing the work for another reason completely. He needed their company because worries and fears were flaring and the consequences of actions from yesterdays gone by where at the edge of his mind. It was a comfort today, a soothing balm, a reminder that he was a in a good place instead.

He was on his way to tend to the next beast, one that needed to have their feet and hooves inspected and tended to, when the voice stopped him in his tracks. He turned to address him, and realized it belonged to someone who couldn't have been more than a three or four Turns younger than him, so not necessarily a younger man. He nodded, and would have offered his hand in greeting as was his habit, but he knew how these things went, considering this wasn't the first time a candidate had been sent here for "extra work". The beast he'd bee about to work on could use its stall worked on.

"Follow me. I'll get you started." When they reached the stall, he gently led the runner out, and noticed it was indeed walking awkwardly as he'd been told it would be, which made him think that yes, there was an issue with its feet. Which made him angry - Why hadn't anyone done something about it before hand, then?! - but he pressed it down and instead tied the beast nearby and instructed Zilelmos on where to find where he would need. "You're going to want to muck out the stall, dispose of the contents, then lay out fresh bedding after. When you're done with this one, we'll see about you doing another."

ooc: Set up works perfectly! I apologize for not replying to this sooner. Perhaps we could say that this takes place after the hatching timeline wise?
Dirce L'van D'kellen D'ante V'ric Na'vi K'rios J'on
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Fali'vas Koda'vis Melangell Cataren Sianca Feraliss Yaranavexa Rathiran

Compendium | NPC Archive | Wanted Connections | Marks Tracker | Emporium

[ Threads Wanted ]

“It's better to write something, anything, than to starve the monster. The monster must feed. And it will feed on your soul if not your words. Its appetite is insatiable. Write to save yourself from the monster.”
― Don Roff ―
LdyPayne

Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:49 pm

There was something familiar and comforting about the stable smells even though he wasn't trained as a beastcrafter or even work with any as a youth. He was farm raised however and that did require some interaction with animals but not Runners specifically. This wasn't the first time he worked in the Weyr stables but it was the first time he was sent here as a punishment. A shame he wasn't sent somewhere by the sea, for he did miss the smell and sounds of the ocean.

When Cataren instructed him to follow he gave a curt nod and did just that. Zilelmos didn't talk unless he had needed to or a verbal answer as required, IN this situation he didn't think it was, action likely was all that was needed. Staying clear of the stall's mouth, Zilelmos watched as the slightly older man lead a Runner out of the stall. He may not have been trained in the Beastcraft but he was not so blind to notice the Runner wasn't moving right. He glaced at Cataren and could see his frowning so it was clear he wasn't the only one to notice the Runner was limping.

"I'll do everything you instruct, I am not the sort who shirks his duty if not watched constantly. Besides, that Runner needs your focus more than I." Zilelmos knew more than one Candidate who would do a half assed job if they could get away with it. Fortunately he wasn't the type but Cataren had no way to know which sort he was till he proofed it. Besides, he was likely here till Cataren decided he did enough. In all honesty he would work till the entire stable was clean and will be willing to do more.

He then brought a wheelbarrow, rake and shovel and placed it next to the stall opening and entered the stall. Using the shovel he picked up the piles of fresh dung and dumped it into the wheelbarrow. It would be easier to rack the straw into piles without fresh dung sticking to everything. The work didn't take long and once he had a full wheel barrel he set shovel and rake against the stall wall and brought the waste outside. A few moments later he returned with the empty wheelbarrow which he set down and then he was grabbing a couple bales of hay. He dropped them roughly in the middle of the freshly mucked stall and pulled out his belt knife. A quick cut of the string used to hold the bale together was all it took to free the hay. He spread the fresh hay about the stall and gave a satisfied nod of his head. Stepping out he placed rake and shovel into the wheelbarrow then walked over to where Cataren was.

"I'm ready for the next stall," he said simply.

ooc: We can assume this happened during an NPC Candidacy if that works. Right now game time I think there's no clutches yet. Too soon I think for Lennoth's clutch. I hope it's alright I just had Zil do the first stall and implied Cat will be caring for the Runner. I tried to leave it vague enough so Cat could do whatever you wanted him to do while Zil worked. If needed I can edit, no problem
Ember

Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:16 pm

Someone was slacking. Cat didn't know who, but there was someone not tending to this particular runner right. He was frustrated that there wasn't anything he could do about it except take care of the task himself, when he was supposed to be helping the candidate instead. He would have to spread himself, try to take care of two things at once, which would be difficult enough, but he'd certainly been through worse and in more difficult scenarios. He grimaced all the same though, because it wasn't fair to Zil in the slightest.

He looked up when he heard the other man's voice and nodded. It was best to let him know the situation, so he'd be aware of the difficulties that they were going to be in for at the same time. "I have some issues with this runner I need to take care of, so some of my time is going to be tied up with it. But if there's an issue you need assistance with, I still want you to come to me if you need help with it." That being said, he stood and made sure the beast was comfortable enough before heading to the next stall to give the next a once over.

Thankfully, this one was doing much better. He gave her a stroke along the neck and smiled with affection. "Have you ever worked with animals before?" He asked, not sure what made him do so, but perhaps it would help them both with their respective duties. Besides, even if he was here for "punishment", that didn't mean he wasn't deserving of being treated with dignity.

[ ooc ]
That works perfectly for me, I was actually going to suggest that. :) I hope my response was okay!

[ Threads Wanted ]

“It's better to write something, anything, than to starve the monster. The monster must feed. And it will feed on your soul if not your words. Its appetite is insatiable. Write to save yourself from the monster.”
― Don Roff ―
LdyPayne

Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:55 pm

Zilelmos looked the Runner over briefly and recalled it had been favoring a hoof earlier. He waited patiently while Cataren saw to the beast's comfort. He nodded when Cataren explained he would have to focus on the Runnerbeast but was still available for questions.

"I was born a farmer and worked with our animals there. We didn't have many animals, mostly draftbeasts and an old mare to plow the fields." Zilelmos revealed. Half of Pern were farmers, it being what most Perness did to survive so he didn't find it gave any clues to who he really was. "No expert on them but comfortable around them enough to work with them when needed."

"I can clean stables, lead the beasts out and tither them outside their stalls as I go so you can focus on the injured one," Zilelmos offered. "I've done this many times even before coming here and I do like to keep busy. Keeps me out of trouble." Zilelmos gave a smirk at this last part. The whole reason he ended up in a fight was because he had nothing else to occupy himself thus noticed the bully picking on one of the younger Candidates. Zilelmos didn't like bullies and the kid didn't deserve the taunting and being pushed around.
Ember

Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:53 pm

It didn't take Cat much to understand what he was trying to get at. He found himself grinning in response. He'd been in a bit of... "trouble" himself not long ago, so it was understandable why keeping busy would be important. Perhaps he'd be able to help with that, though it was something he was thinking about only on the fly. It might not be something that would interest the other man, but it was worth a shot, even if in the dark.

"If you're having an issue with keeping out of trouble," and he wasn't going to dig in for details, because truthfully it wasn't his business what had happened, that was between the man and the Candidatetrainers. "I could always use a hand when I'm in the stables. If you have experience with the beasts, then why not lend me a little help? Gives you something to do, gives me the extra sets of fingers I might need when I'm working my beasts. Plus, it'd give you some extra marks because I'd see to it that you were paid for your share of the work."

He lifted a brow, wondering if that would interest Zilelmos. If it did, he'd speak to the stablemaster once the day was over, then go to the Candidatemaster once he had the chance to. Shouldn't be that difficult to make arrangements, he thought.

[ Threads Wanted ]

― Don Roff ―
LdyPayne

Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:11 am

It wasn't so much he had trouble staying out of trouble it was more not having anything to do that bored Zilelmos, making it easier to step into things he probably be better off staying away from. What he didn't want was for the Beastcrafter to think he was naturally one to fall into trouble, in fact he rather preferred to avoid it and not just to avoid punishments.

"I didn't like how some other Candidate were pushing around one of the kids, decided to push back on the kid's behalf," Zilelmos didn't feel guilty for stepping in and would do it again if the situation came up. "A Candidatemaster only saw me pushing the bully and I didn't argue the point. I was told I should call the Candidatemasters to handle things, not take it upon myself to step in."

"I was born and raised on a farm so I know my way around some animals, we had a team of draftbeast and a couple Runners for the wagons, not much. We grew more vegetables and fodder than rearing milking beasts or herdbeasts for meat." Zilelmos didn't want to come across knowing more than he did about farm animals and their care. "However, I would gladly spend free time here helping you out instead of being idle."

Zilelmos was going to leave it at that, accept the extra work and a few extra Marks if the man was willing to pay for his work but he decided to be more open with him. "I have been considering going to the Flotilla to learn more about those Pearl creatures however, so I may not be available between dragon clutches...maybe not at all after this one should I decide Pearls are more to my liking."
Ember

Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:31 am

It seemed as though picking and poking for information wasn't an option, not that it was within Cat's capacity to do such a thing. He would leave well enough alone and just set down with the basics that the candidate gave to him, which were fine and plenty as far as he was concerned. "Welcome to the stables then. Come here whenever your time is spare and you feel up to it, and long as I'm here, you can consider yourself and time paid for." He didn't have much, but he had enough to pay him the right amount, and that would mean something.

As for the rest, well... it was good to know at least. He lifted a shoulder and grinned. "Temp work then. I can live with that. Even that much will help for as long as you're around, and I'll wish you all the luck with the pearls when you make your way to the Flotilla."[/b] He nodded his head, letting Zilelmos know that he understood, and appreciated the warning ahead of time. "We'll just get as much done before you do go, fill up that pouch with marks as much we can to send you off with something good at your belt."

[ Threads Wanted ]

― Don Roff ―
LdyPayne

Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:58 am

He would do the work for the simple fact he wanted to keep busy but Zilelmos wasn't going to refuse payment if offered. Given he didn't have much of an income since leaving his job as a caravan guard, any fraction of a Mark couldn't be turned down. He didn't have to pay for much at the Weyr while Standing but between clutches he had to earn his keep somehow. He preferred honest work of some type to trying to freeload, whether it's doing Candidate chores or extra work at the Stable, as long as his hands were busy he was content.

"Much appreciated," he responded. He certainly would work till he left to go to the Flotilla to learn more about the Pearls. "If the Pearls aren't to my liking I will return and resume helping you when I can." he added.

ooc: wrap on your reply?
Ember

Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:33 pm

It seemed like a good plan to Cat, and he gave the other man a nod. "Regardless of whether or not I see you again, I wish you all the luck with the pearls. I can't say they are to my liking, but may you find your place with them." His way was here, with the dragons, with Niomi, but he knew everyone had a different way, a different path, and for Zilelmos, that way might be where the waters were. "Now, let's finish up our work here. I might be able to sneak us some good cider when we're done if we can finish up and clean our messes up before the stablemaster returns..."

[ fin ]

[ Threads Wanted ]

― Don Roff ―