Strange Ways To Connect || K'rios/Ember

Despite being new, this dining hall is very similar to the one back at old Atricis, giving a familiarity to the new Weyr. It is one large, central cavern carved out from the side of the cliff with many tables of varying sizes and seat numbers. The kitchens are attached, and there is a set of stairs leading down into the lower caverns.
Tyriani
Title: Character Hoarder
Pronouns: She/Her

Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:42 pm

How many half-siblings do you actually have? A shrug came from the man as he walked past the brown. "No clue Basarolth, but there is another one here, whom I have yet to meet at all." He wasn't worried about what would happen, he didn't need to worry. He didn't need this new found siblings blessing to do what he wanted to do, thank the shards. But still, he knew that eating was probably going to be a good way to break some ice in this new found relationship.

Sul'tek rubbed Basarolth's head once before he gave the brown a soft smile. The brown was the only one to ever really see his smile, or his humor, and it made the dragon happy. Well, have fun, and don't mess up. We could use all the allies if we are to try and gain a leadership role once more. If there was someone who seemed to want to lead just as much as Sul'tek, it was his dragon. Sul'tek nodded though and left his apartment, heading right to the dining hall.

After the walk, he grabbed his food and sat down at a table that seemed to be secluded enough for him and K'rios to be able to talk for once. He knew that his half-brother was the...Candidatemaster? Or was he the Weyrlingmaster? Sul'tek couldn't remember right off the bat, but he knew that he dealt with the hopefuls at some point.
This is an odd starter i know. Let me know if I need to change anything ^-^ @Ember
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:36 am

K'rios knew he had another sibling in the Weyr, or had had one in the Weyr for a while, but hadn't met the man for one reason or another. Their father had asked that he keep his distance, and he'd respected those wishes, though he'd observed from a distance just to get his own opinions from time to time. Now though, ti seemed as though a meeting was finally taking place, and K'rios would get to see what this Sul'tek was like for himself.

After lessons for the day, and a meeting with the rest of the candidate staff, he headed to the dining hall to get his own food knowing that they were going to set up shop there. He spotted the brownrider almost immediately but took his time gathering what he wanted. He was tired after all, sore and in need of his own chances to gather thoughts and feelings about what was going to happen. He wasn't sure how he felt about this, but he knew it could go any way depending on how the two of them got along.

It was a matter of wait and see from here on out.

With a mug of extra strong klah in hand - Faranth, did he want something Solai made badly right about now though - and a platter of food that could feed an entire Wing, the pewterrider made his way over to his half-brother's chosen table and seated himself across from him. "Sul'tek." He nodded his head and folded his hands in front of him on the table's surface, not touching his food or drink just yet. "K'rios of pewter Iktomith, an Assistant Candidatemaster here at the Weyr." He reached across the table and offered his hand for a shake. "And one of your brother's, apparently."
Dragonfolk
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image

Wherfolk, Dayfolk, & Pearlfolk
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Crafters, Weyrfolk, & Others
Image Image Image Image
I can be found on Discord @ Ember#8349 ~ feel free to drop be a message even if I'm on DND.
Tyriani

Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:56 am

Yes, he saw his half-brother right away when he entered the dining hall. Did he make any motions, no. He was just going to let K'rios take his time and make his way over. Sul'tek wasn't in any kind of position of power like the other man, but Sul'tek did remember those days, and he remembered how he would take his time getting his own food then. The amount of food that was on K'rios' tray probably should have scared Sul'tek, but he let it go. It was not something for him to judge about. But the short greeting was something that he kind of expected.

So far, all of his half-siblings seemed to be of the short words, probably because of how they were talking and why really. So he paid no mind. But that last part that was said could have made the man laugh, if he found the humor in it. "Apparently so." He took a drink of his own klah as she thought. What should they talk about? What was there to talk about? What was the best course of action here? Just talk about what you both do know. Or are you trying to stay away from that?

Sul'tek could have sworn that the brown was asleep when he left, but the man's over thinking could have woken him. Basarolth did have a point though, and he held back a sigh as he looked from his klah to K'rios. "So, I know I was trying to avoid this topic, but family. We have to talk about it at sometime."
Ember

Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:43 am

They could have started with any other topic there was, but K'rios figured family was the one thing they needed to get taken care of and out of the way. He supposed he understood that, especially since from what he felt between them, it was a tense subject. He could be wrong, but that was just the impression that he was getting from Sul'tek.

"Yeah, that we do." He agreed, deciding his food could wait a little bit while they got this topic going. Hungry though he was, he didn't need to immediately eat. He knew important things came first, and anything else - even much needed nourishment - could be put on hold in the meantime. He wasn't exactly sure where they should begin though, or where Sul'tek would be most comfortable starting off at least.

Best to try and breech that particular subject then with him, as much as he was able to. "I'm not sure how we should go about this truth be told." Okay, maybe not what he'd been thinking exactly, but it was close enough in a way. He was getting there at least; this was just different than it had been with the others. "Was there a way you wanted to discuss the family? I'm still new to things with everyone, at least more than you would be I suppose."
Dragonfolk
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
I can be found on Discord @ Ember#8349 ~ feel free to drop be a message even if I'm on DND.
Tyriani

Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:58 pm

This was the moment that he really wish he could have thought of a topic to discuss. But his mind didn't want to think of another one at the moment. It just wanted to get the toughest topic at hand done and out of the way. Shell popped from between and started to pick at the meat chunks that were laid aside for the blue. Sul'tek noticed that both men seemed to have the same sense of the matter though, where to start.

"I for one know of you, a half-sister, then my full blooded brother." It was true, he didn't know of any others really besides that. He tried to think back on things, and well, nothing truly came to him. "How about you? Do you know of any other siblings?" His voice seemed to not hold a sound of amusement at the topic, which was to be honestly expected. But what could be done to bypass it? Then it kind of dawned on him. There was the fact that K'rios was an Assistant Candidatemaster. That meant that there could be interesting stories there.

"I don't know about you, but perhaps this family talk could be shelved for a later date." He picked at his own food for a moment before he took a bite. Once his food was swallowed, he looked at K'rios. "How is it being an Assistant Candidatemaster?"
Ember

Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:20 am

K'rios had been about to answer on the subject of family - he supposed he didn't know about the sister that lived in Atricis and was recently graduated from training then, or the others scattered across the North - but perhaps it was better that they get to know one another and save the family talk for another day. He could live with that in all honesty. He remembered how difficult it had been when he'd first got in touch with L'van and all the siblings that had followed - it hadn't been easy for him, he supposed it wasn't going to be easy for Sul'tek either.

"More than fine with me. There's plenty of time for it considering where we both live." It wasn't like Sul'tek could just up and leave without L'van knowing about it, since he would need to go through the Weyrleader for transfer permissions. He doubted his brother would just do that though, and wiped the thought clear from his mind as he sipped from his klah and eyed him carefully. Poor guy looked nervous, or just plain upset, perhaps even both.

And besides, he liked talking about what he did for a living, outside of the Wings. It was a proud piece of work, something that not everyone could do, but riders that tended to teaching candidates often took joy in it because the kids that passed through their ranks were the future of their Wings. "Its good work. Not bad at all truth be told, and I really enjoy it. There are days when its more difficult than others, I'm not going to lie. But I wouldn't still be doing it after six Turns if there wasn't something enjoyable about it."

He finally decided to dig into the mass of food he'd brought with him, and contrary to what it might seem for someone to have that much on a platter, he was a rather neat and careful eater. After a bite, he washed down the remains with a sip of klah and lifted his chin towards the brownrider. "You ever consider trying to apply for work with the candidates? I know the staff is always looking for new and willing riders, and the training for Assistants is fairly easy. You can't get positions in the Wings after, too busy to work two positions at once, but you and your dragon still get to fly Thread."
Dragonfolk
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
Tyriani

Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:04 pm

The relief from dropping the family conversation could been seen in his eyes. It was something that he really didn't want to talk about on the first meeting, but at first, it was the only thing that he could think of. It was difficult to even try and talk to their father. Speaking of, he needed to send Shell to Igen with a letter for Surieka, just to kind of attempt to stay in touch. But enough of that family stuff, right? Now it was talk about professions and ranks, something that Sul'tek loved to talk about, and it seemed that K'rios loved to talk about it as well. That was a good thing that they could have in common, right?

"Yes, it would be hard for someone to go and run off now wouldn't it." It was meant to be a joke, and he even tried to crack a smile with the words. But the humorless part of him just couldn't believe that he had said that. Even his brown, who was eavesdropping still, was practically roaring with laughter at the attempt of a joke. Sul'tek needed more practice if he was going to try to joke, that much was really clear, and probably to everyone by now. But the joke was also an attempt to try and get rid of the nerves that he had. Never has he had them before, but right now, he couldn't even explain as to why.

"I am sure that there are candidates out there who are determined to be an ass. I know that there are wingriders like that." The thought went back to when he was on Igen. Sure, he had been a Wingthird, but there were still the Wingriders, and even some Wingthirds and up who were just plain asses to be an ass. Something that they seemed to think came with the territory of their rank. He picked up his fork then and loaded it with some food while thinking. He thought so much on K'rios and his job. The man seemed to love it, even if it seemed...odd... to Sul'tek. But each person liked what they liked.

"I don't know if Basarolth would be good with candidate who wouldn't want to listen." Oh sure, blame it on me you wherry's ass. Basarolth had the right of it. The brown would probably do amazingly with the candidates, it was Sul'tek who didn't seem to know the right things to say around them, or how to even control them. But he was also privy on getting his old rank back, and there was no way he could do that as an Assistant Candidatemaster.

But perhaps that could be something that he could think on later? Perhaps if something were to happen? Let's just keep that in mind. "But that doesn't mean that it wouldn't be doable in the future. Basarolth might end up wanting to be around candidates rather than wingriders." His words were thoughtful as he continued to eat in between conversations.
Ember

Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:27 am

"You never know." K'rios said, though he knew the work wasn't for everyone. It could be emotionally draining at times, especially when hatchings came and went and candidates failed to Impress or aged out completely. Those moments could be trying on the heart when you had to try and explain to a candidate who had aged out, especially those more sensitive than others, why they'd failed to Impress after being promised by their Search rider that they would. It was why he didn't like Searching as often as he used to, especially since becoming one of Bellatirx's assistants. It was just too difficult to mix those two together at times.

"I take it you've had some experience in the Wings, at least from the way you talk?" He stabbed at the food on his plate. "I used to fancy myself a Wingthird, especially with Ikto being the color that he is, but it never was in the cards for me it would seem." He lifted a shoulder and then shook his head. "And now that I have Dad... L'van in my life, it's kind of difficult to think about advancement at times, because I know he doesn't deal in nepotism. Not that it bothers me any; I'd rather work my ass off to prove myself worthy than be handed shit, you know?"
Dragonfolk
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
Tyriani

Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:54 pm

K'rios was right about that. Sul'tek didn't know what would happen in the future. The man took another bite of his food as he thought on the different options that he actually didn't think that he truly had here. He had always just been so focused on getting his Wingthird position back. But would that really happen while L'van was Weyrleader without some kind of favoritism being called out? Sul'tek knew that he and Basarolth would be able to work their way back to that rank, but he was still worried that some kind of Igen mindset would be found here. He needed to drop that thought though, and was glad when the talk of wings came up.

"Oh yes." He gave a small nod as he listened to K'rios. "Back on Igen, I had actually been a Wingthird. You know, before the issues happened with fath... L'van." He thought back on his earlier thought and he nodded with a tiny shrug himself. "I know the feeling. I would love to become a Wingthird again, but that worry that people will call favoritism is in the back of my mind." He knew that L'van wouldn't do that, but some mindsets just couldn't be changed. Even back on Igen, they hated the idea of anything non-traditional, so just the thought of them coming here was amusing to the brownrider.
Ember

Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:25 pm

Wingthird was good, noble place in the Wings, especially for someone hoping to build up experience and eventually make it to the top. That was K'rios' opinion at the very least, something he'd garnered and nurtured over the Turns, often shared with candidates as advice to those that asked about ranks within the Wings and what to do if they were ever offered such positions. He smiled and grabbed his mug of klah, about to dismiss the concern the brownrider was showing when it came to the calling out, shrugging himself and for very good reason in his opinion.

"Truth be told I don't see it as something that will be much of an issue? I mean, he seems decent enough about treating us as his children when he needs to, but when ready for duties, he knows how to treat us as riders instead. And besides this, there's not whispered favoritism around Atricis. Not on the level as there is at Igen." He shrugged, and because he thought it would need to be further emphasized, he continued.

"There was a day when I was talking with him about something, nothing out of the ordinary, when my Wingleader came up to us." He set his mug down and aside, pushed his plate away even, just for this. "Ay'li wasn't happy with me, and rightfully so. I'd messed up during a formation, and she let me know about it. Had we been in Fall, it could have cost a life. I made a mistake and was disciplined for it, and dad stood back and let it happen, as he should. He made no excuses for me, and let her do her job."

He reached for his mug and lifted a brow. "So you see what I mean? Or do you understand a slight amount? This isn't Igen - that place is fucked up for rank - the same can't be said for Atricis." He held up a hand, mug half way to his lips, and after sipping he continued. "I do understand where you're coming from though. I just told you all of that so you'd know what I meant about things." He grinned a little as he pulled his plates back. "The old man doesn't fuck around when it comes to making sure us kids play by the rules just like everyone else."

[ ooc: Ay'li "used" with Fawkes' permission. ]
Dragonfolk
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image