A Disdain for the Untrustworthy - Kate | A'ric

Despite being new, this dining hall is very similar to the one back at old Atricis, giving a familiarity to the new Weyr. It is one large, central cavern carved out from the side of the cliff with many tables of varying sizes and seat numbers. The kitchens are attached, and there is a set of stairs leading down into the lower caverns.
Shaihulud
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:52 pm

Season - Early Summer (during the hatching feast)
Time - Early Evening
Locations - Atricis Weyr | Dining Hall

"Walled, are you certain?" Mul'rec asked of Miral, who swirled her glass of wine.

"Yes," she answered, only to take a sip and glance over the sea of heads.

Miral had finally received the information that had waited to pry from the living intruder of Benden. An assassin of Walled. One of the dead had a mark that indicated he was a former slave of the territory, the telling diamond on his hand, but the others lacked it. Now, however, this confirmed their suspicions: Walled was also somehow involved in the attempts on his daughters. But how? Why?

"Who else knew about you and Walled?" she asked the brownrider directly.

"I have a trusted network," he assured her, for he caught the accusation in her tone. But then it dawned on him. "But someone recently saw some things they should not have."

"Who?" Miral asked, her brow furrowing.

"Someone I am not entirely familiar with," he muttered for her ears alone. "He might be an operative, one who gave the Walled cause to supply Cador with his... messengers."

"So what will you do?"

Mul'rec would have originally left the matter of A'ric be, but now that this information had come to light, it seemed a talk was due. "Speak to him."

A smirk answered him first. "The natural choice of progression."

"But of course." With little delay, he side stepped away from Miral to find the bronzerider not far from them. It did little to fuel A'ric's innocence, though Mul'rec hid his suspicions with a readied smirk. The smile never truly showed, thus giving Mul'rec a constant look of curiosity. When he stepped to the young man's side, he spoke. "Standing among a sea of bodies sometimes feels like floating on a raft at sea. Water everywhere, and not a drop to drink. Bodies everywhere, and not a soul to speak." He glanced to the younger man whom Solai had told him so much about, wondering how he might react.
Kate

Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:21 am

To say that life had been good lately, would be a complete understatement for the bronze rider who now glanced around the Hatching Feast, trying to get in a good headspace, at least for the night, but kind of failing to do so. First, he had broken up with Kit, and while it had been a bit ago, he still felt like maybe he had made a mistake sometimes. Today, happened to be one of those days. On top of that, he and Solai had gotten into a fight the other night, and he was afraid that he may have lost a friend. Actually, come to think of it, it was very possible that he might have lost two friends that night. K’rios had been unusually cold towards him, and the Wingleader had yet to try and talk to his friend about it. Maybe it wa s just because tensions had been high that night, but he still felt like maybe, the pewterrider had changed, and the two of the: wouldn’t be able to be friends anymore. Frowning, he realized he hadn’t actually spoke to either of them since that night, which did not help to boost his mood.

Taking a sip of his ale, he tried to quickly push those thoughts away, all of them. This was not a time to be dragging himself down with thoughts like that, yet he couldn’t help it. The look on Solai’s face, it still stuck in his mind, even now. Quickly, he downed that ale, and got another one before walking around. Honestly he felt like not even bei;g here, but having a few drinks and then leaving was probably the best he was going to be able to manage at the moment.

Walking around, he tried to simile to the people he knew, and talked with a few members of his Wing. As he was doing so, his dark eyes caught a glimpse of something on the tables, and he could not help but go over and read it. For a moment, his mouth almost dropped open, and dark eyes stared. There were the exact same pamphlets Solai had had. These were supposed to go to the Weyrleader, and obviously they never had. Anger flashed in his eyes for a moment as he thought about the fact that the green rider had lied to him.

A voice next to him almost made him jump, but he forced himself to remain calm and he turned to see exactly who was talking to him. Looking at the man, he recognized him, but didn’t really know who it was. What was he he talking about. Shrugging ever so slightly he said, ”Is that some old saying I should be aware of?”
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Shaihulud

Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:11 pm

”Is that some old saying I should be aware of?”

The brownrider smirked at the man's answer. "It means sometimes it is difficult to find good conversation in crowds this big," he answered, his tone surprisingly good natured, all things considered. Even when he was suspicious, the brownrider knew how to put on an air of pleasant company, if only to ensnare the unsuspected. "Though perhaps good conversation has been found." Rather than step away or dismiss the man, Mul'rec held out his hand. "I am Envoy Mul'rec of Evanoria Weyrhold-" before the bronzerider could respond with his own moniker and title, Mul'rec beat him to the punch "-And you are A'ric, Wingleader of New Atricis Weyr."

Yes, Mul'rec knew about him.

Right when the bronzerider might ask how he knew, Mul'rec supplied him with that tidbit too. "Solai, my niece. She has told me much about you." The brownrider hoped to catch the man off guard, to supply himself with as genuine a response as possible from the bronzerider. With his guard down, Mul'rec hoped A'ric would also be his most honest, and give himself away one way or another with his reaction.
Kate

Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:12 am

For a moment, the young man didn't really know what to say. Part of him felt like there was no reason he should have had to try and figure out what the other man was saying, but the other part of him, felt slightly embarrassed that he hadn't known it. Dark eyes studied the man for the briefest of moments as he fought to not let a red tinge creep up onto his face. Since he wasn't really in the greatest of moods, he felt that he may have been a little snappy, but luckily it didn't seem to really bother the other man as he stuck out his hand and introduced himself. The bronze rider quickly regained his manners and extended his own hand, his mouth opened slightly to introduce himself back, but the other man seemed to already know who he was. While the man did look familiar, like he'd seen him before, the name did not, so he wondered how in the world this man could already know who he was? Plus the fact that he was a Wingleader?

Well, it was probably pretty obvious by his knots that he was a Wingleader, the bronze rider quickly chided himself. The fact that he knew his name already though, that still didn't sit right with the man. Just as the question was on the tip of his tongue, the other rider answered that question for him too. Before he forgot his manners, even more, he said, "Well met Mul'rec."

Ah, so it had been Solai. Now that he thought about it, maybe she had mentioned someone named Mul'rec, in passing anyway. He vaguely remembered it now. Giving the man a small smile he said, "Oh, well, I hope she didn't tell you anything bad about me." Taking another sip of his drink he said, "No matter what she told you, I dont know if I should be flattered or not. I didn't really think I was all that worthy of bringing up in conversation."
Shaihulud

Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:17 pm

He was a humble man. Mul'rec could tell by the bronzerider's response, the stunned gape of his mouth as Mul'rec shook his hand. Eventually, A'ric found his tongue, "Well met Mul'rec."

With a final firm shake, he relinquished the man's hand and made a glance about the feast before looking back to A'ric to catch that telling smile when Solai was mentioned. "Oh, well, I hope she didn't tell you anything bad about me. No matter what she told you, I dont know if I should be flattered or not. I didn't really think I was all that worthy of bringing up in conversation."

Yes, he was humble indeed. "I hardly doubt that. Any man who once obtained the rank of Weyrleader is hardly inconsequential. You should think more highly of yourself-" for undoubtedly others would, and use his humility to their advantage. Did he say something unknowingly to another? Already, Mul'rec began to gain the sense that A'ric was unaware of his own influence, or the fact others were indeed paying attention, such as those in Walled. A Former Weyrleader and Current Wingleader was not something to be ignored.

"She did speak favourably of you though, that i can most definitely assure you," Mul'rec continued. Had Solai not underscored his honourable nature, Mul'rec would have killed him already. Previous to the deaths of his daughters, A'ric was merely a footnote to consider. Now he was a possible enemy to regard. Only Solai's good word kept Mul'rec from plotting his death at the very feast they attended.

Giving him the benefit of a doubt?

Solai trusts his character, and I trust her. Besides, he does not seem like a man of malicious intent, at least he did not for the mean time. Still, Mul'rec wondered if it was possible this was all an act. Eyes scanning the feast, he spotted his niece intimately entwined with her lover, K'rios.

Another man of interest.

For the meantime, Mul'rec bided his time with the pewterrider, though he too would be approached, for it had crossed his mind that perhaps K'rios had spoken out. Another was Ao'mek... the Walled Bluerider. The man had close ties back at Atricis, and while Solai never told him about her work, she had certainly made past indications that were not the wisest. Did Ao'mek catch onto her work and send word to Walled?

The Mother, while she certainly had previous disdain towards Mul'rec for his sympathies towards the late Phoenith, could not have known about his involvement with the rebellion, thus she had no reason to assist Cador in the attempted assassinations. But if someone told her what Mul'rec had been up to... that would have been cause enough to annihilate his entire family, if only as punishment before she killed him herself.

"You seem a bit lonely tonight," Mul'rec pointed out to A'ric. "Such a shame for such a handsome and accomplished man as yourself. Were you expecting company tonight?" Especially of the Walled variety? Was it possible he had a Walled lover he had confided in?

And yet once more, he wondered if he was giving A'ric too much of the benefit of a doubt, just as Galuth had warned him.
Kate

Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:34 am

Well, at least the bronze rider had managed to remember his manners. The last thing he needed to do right now was offend this rider as well, especially since he knew Solai. Speaking of Solai, he saw her out of the corner of his eyes, with K’rios. A frown came to his face, but he quickly hid it. Well, it had been quick to him, and hopefully it had been quick enough for the brown rider not to see. Honestly, he didn’t feel like getting into this discussion right now. After everything that had happened, he just wanted to let things cool down and see where everything went from there.

As the brown rider spoke, Aric made sure that he listened to him. That was just common decency wasn’t it? If someone was talking to you, you made sure you paid attention to what they were saying. Another small tinge of red quickly made its way to his face. Shrugging he said, ”Well, you have me there. Being Weyrleader and a Wingleader is something I am indeed proud of, as is my dragon, but I just try not to make a spectacle of myself and brag about it.”

Another small smile came to his face. Well, it wasn’t obvious that since she had nothing but good things to say about him, that she hadn’t talked to Mul’rec about him after that bad night. For that, he was thankful. That meant the man didn’t know anything about the trouble they had had, which meant he wouldn’t have to explain himself.

For a few moments the two men lapses into silence, each seemingly lost in his own thoughts. It did strike the younger man as a bit odd that this man would just come up and talk to him, but he tried not to think about it to much. It was a Feast, you were bound to run into people you didn’t exactly know, and talk to them.

At Mul’rec’s next question, Aric looked at him for a moment and then shook his head with a small chuckle. ”Unfortunately , no I’m not expecting company tonight. I was just going to see what happened and what led to where, you know?”

Since he had broken up with Kit, he had not really been looking for another relationship, at least not right now anyway. But hey, if someone wanted his company tonight, he doubted if he would reject them.
Shaihulud

Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:59 pm

”Well, you have me there. Being Weyrleader and a Wingleader is something I am indeed proud of, as is my dragon, but I just try not to make a spectacle of myself and brag about it.”

Yes, humble indeed, and innocent in all the worst ways, Mul'rec thought to himself.

”Unfortunately , no I’m not expecting company tonight. I was just going to see what happened and what led to where, you know?”

Yes, Mul'rec knew the tactic all too well, for he had implemented it himself over the decades. The memory of previous games of expectancy caused a chuckle to rumble out from him. "Yes, I am quite familiar," he answered as he looked about and spotted Miral moving towards her own potential partner for the evening.

Much to the brownrider's amusement, she approached the Speaker of the Weyr, N'kili. With grace and confidence, she offered the opalrider a glass of wine, to which the woman took with a smile. Blushes and smiles followed, as well as the coy step back from the zultanite Weyrleader, yet her mannerism still remained receptive and open to the clear advances. Already, in his mind's eye, the events of their night played out. Suffice to say, it was a pleasant thought to have.

But they could no longer concern him with the bronzerider in his own company. "You meet many Walled women?" he asked of A'ric. A blunt statement, repulsively likely to the ears of women, but among men, it was a common line of conversation.
Kate

Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:09 am

As the two men spoke about finding someone here, and just seeing what happened, A'ric could not stop his eyes from wandering around. A Turn ago, this never would have happened. The bronze rider never would have just been looking for some random company. It just wasn't like him. Sure, everyone knew that when a Flight came up, if you weren't with someone, you tended to just find a random partner, but even for him that had been hard sometimes. Now, ever since he and Kitiara had went their separate ways, that was kind of what he had been doing. Why not see what was out there, right? Was that not basically what Kit had told him the Turns they were together? While he had never really taken it to heart at that point, right now, it sounded like a good idea.

Speaking of Kit, his dark eyes picked up her form, and after staring, almost longingly, for the briefest of moments, he turned away, letting his eyes look to see who else might want some company tonight. Unfortunately, his heart wasn't really into it, so after a moment, he gave up. "Admittedly, I am rather new to that tactic, but, I figured it was worth a shot.”

Focusing his attention back on the brown rider, he took a sip of his drink and just as he swallowed it he heard the man’s question and quickly shook his head. ”Girls from Walled? Um, I can’t say that I do. Pretty sure the only girl I ever knew from Walled was Phonieth’s rider. Why do you ask?”
Shaihulud

Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:28 pm

"Admittedly, I am rather new to that tactic, but, I figured it was worth a shot.”

A curious brow peeked at the man so quick it might hardly have been noticed. New? Mul'rec flipped through the information Solai had detailed to him earlier when he had pressed her. So guilty about being found out by A'ric, the greenrider divulged a great detail as to who A'ric was, her relationship with him... as well as the nature of her budding relationship with K'rios, whom had also learned about her dealings with Mul'rec himself and the abolitionist movement.

He came up with nothing.

”Girls from Walled? Um, I can’t say that I do. Pretty sure the only girl I ever knew from Walled was Phonieth’s rider. Why do you ask?”

The reply left the brownrider to question once more whether he was right question A'ric. Perhaps the assassins worked independent of the Mother, nothing more than hired mercenaries...

... or perhaps the Mother simply disliked him enough to try again after the first failed attempt.

And what if A'ric did indeed lie to him? Well, Mul'rec decided he would keep the man's company and wet his lips enough to make his tongue wag. "Merely curious," he answered simply, only to look back across the crowd. "Do you enjoy whiskies, A'ric?" he asked the bronzerider.

Keeping company, Galuth asked of his rider.

You know what they say about the placement of friends and enemies, Mul'rec replied in turn.
Kate

Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:14 pm

Aric took another sip of his ale, and realized that his glass was almost empty. Well, this was a party right, so he could let go a little bit. Maybe this would be a good way to forget about everything that was going on, or at least, not have to deal with it at the present moment anyway. The thought of Solai lying to him came back to the front of his mind in the moment of silence between himself and the brown rider. Why had she lied to him? Was it just something she hadn’t thought he could handle knowing? It had she just thought she was somehow protecting him? What made the wound hurt even more, was that he wasn’t sure if K’rios had known, or if he had been in the dark as well. Maybe the two of them had something planned?

No, no he couldn’t think like that. That would just make everything seem much worse than it was, and he really did not need that at the moment. Thankfully, the brown rider had recaptured his attention. So, he had just been curious huh? Why about the kind of women he knew though? Mentally shrugging, he decided to let that go as well. It was like men to talk about women anyway, right?

As Mul’rec asked his next question, a small smile came to his face and he nodded, maybe a little to eagerly. Whiskey was certainly better to drink to try and forget about things, wasn’t it? ”I do indeed enjoy whiskey from time to time. I could probably go for some of the harder stuff right about now.”