The Torch of Lost Dreams [Standalone/Open]

Despite being new, this dining hall is very similar to the one back at old Atricis, giving a familiarity to the new Weyr. It is one large, central cavern carved out from the side of the cliff with many tables of varying sizes and seat numbers. The kitchens are attached, and there is a set of stairs leading down into the lower caverns.
Lanni

Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:23 am

With the changing of the seasons, Laikanurinato had to face a harsh truth: he was too old to be considered a candidate. For so long that had been a key point of his identity. The hope of becoming a dragon rider was so deeply entrenched in his heart that Laikanu had no real clue what to do now. The sudden change in status left the young man reeling. For weeks after his nameday, Laikanurinato floundered as he had less rules to follow and no true schedule to stick to. His temper had flared more frequently than it had since his arrival in the South. There were a few punishments for his brawling that made his heart ache for the familiar consequences of his candidacy.

For a few days, the former guard pondered the idea of moving back to Benden and facing the harsh truth there with the safety net of his family. The tug of the familiar pulled at his heart until Tui and Hale intervened by bringing Halimila and her brood by one day. Dew had been snoozing in the sunshine but it was the scowl on Mila’s face that had Lai’s pity party coming to a temporary halt. “So you’re going to leave me? Is that how it’s going to end?” She asked dropping her frame into the seat beside him. Blanching, stammering and pulling away from the quiet anger of his adopted sister, Laikanu wondered how the green rider knew his thoughts.

“So what if you didn’t Impress, Kanu. There’s plenty of folks who never Impressed! The weyr couldn’t function if everyone had,” Mila went on to say as she slapped his shoulder. “There’s even been folks who Impressed long after the usual cut off…. Who knows what might happen if you stay. I do know that I’m going to miss you if you go. So will Minnie and Chime… Papa too if he had the time to visit. Ardi won’t admit it but she’ll miss you too. Even if it’s just at bath time,” Mila teased laying her head on the shoulder she just abused. “Seriously though, Kanu, don’t go. I’m sure there’s a place for you even if you have to bunk with Ardi and I for a while…. Though someone might start another rumor about us,” She grinned at him as he glanced down at her.

“Another?” Laikanu asked with a dark hint to his voice. With all his own problems, Laikanu hadn’t been paying attention to the rumor mill. For a few weeks, shortly before Halimila bonded to her Arduinnath, there had been a few bits of gossip about them that had caused a few fights for the young man. Laikanu had thought that he had put an end to those rumors before they had gotten too far. Someone, a jealous soul no doubt, had claimed that their bond as siblings ran towards a different sort of love.

Mia’s giggle pulled Laikanu out of his thoughts as she poked him in the side, “No. No more gossip about us. You stopped them for good, I think,” Mila admitted smiling at the blue eyed boy. “The offer stands though, either with me or Papa if you think someone might start something. I could convince him if you wanted to,” Hali rambled as she tried to keep Lai’s thoughts in the present. Laikanu’s mind ran the notion over a few times to see if it would work. The idea of bunking with his adopted sister and her possessive green had a few things going for it but in the long run Lai knew it wasn’t the best thing for anyone involved. Staying with Halian held similar problems and one major drawback, the older man didn’t exactly agree with Laikanu’s relationship with his daughter.

Sitting there with Mila on his shoulder, Tui on his lap and Hale stealing from his plate, Laikanu realized that he was home. Even if his dreams hadn’t played out the way that he had hoped for so long, Atricis had become his home in a way that Benden rarely had been. The only dark spot in his new outlook was that he had no skills to improve his home. “Mila? What am I going to do now?” He asked softly before pressing a brotherly kiss to her curly head. Turning her head slightly to frown at him, “Whatcha mean, Lai? I thought you were staying?” She asked confused and a bit hurt. “I meant what craft, job or position am I am going to do now? What good can I do for the Weyr?” He asked before pulling away from the young green rider.

Moving quickly the young man left his sister at their table and tried to leave the dining hall before his inner thoughts became apparent to everyone else. Unfortunately for Laikanu he was stopped before he could leave. “Don’t walk away from me, Lai! What do you mean what good can you do? I thought we covered that!” Mila said as her own hurt tangled with her words. “No, Halimila, you said that you would miss me not what I’m supposed to do now,” Laikanu hissed as he realized how close he was to tears once more. “You know what,” He added harshly, “Just forget it. You wouldn’t understand. You’ve got everything you’ve ever wanted and I’m still left behind!”

With those harsh words ringing in the air between them, Laikanurinato hardened his heart against the tears forming in her brown eyes. “Lai,” She whispered raising a hand to stop him from leaving. “Don’t ‘Lai’ me, Halimila of Arduinnath. You can’t deny it any more than you can fix it. Leave me alone, Green Rider,” His last words dripped with pain and anger as he turned away from the petite girl. “Go back to your dragon,” He spat as he left the girl in tears.

Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:02 am

Vex had heard him and she wasn't impressed. Sure it was one thing to be upset over not Impressing which she understood more than he probably realized. But to take it out on someone else the way he had was another. Even she wasn't that much of an asshole - and she could be an asshole when she wanted to be. She wondered if she should go after the girl, or go after the man, and in the end the tiny woman decided to touch base with the roving man and perhaps put him in his place, or at least attempt to. Sure some might laugh her off considering her lack of height, but if he attempted to do that she wouldn't hesitate to punch him for it - and as he had so "eloquently" put it to his "friend"... he wasn't a candidate anymore, so she couldn't get in trouble for hitting one of them.

"You know she's right." She called after him as she headed in his direction, not about to let him get far. Even on short legs she was fast, able to get long distances quickly enough. He'd have to really work to shake her off and even then, she'd just dig her teeth in deep enough to make it downright impossible. "Aging out isn't the end of the world. It feels like it but you have plenty of options and plenty of uses to the Weyr if you open your fucking eyes and stop seeing with a narrow focus." That had been her mistake for so long. She'd set herself up, like so many did, like he probably had. He was setting himself up to become a bitter, cynical asshole like she was.

The world only needed one of her around.

She was trying to do the Weyr a favor to prevent another from running around.

"So really, you need to shape up and go apologize to that girl you made cry, because that was a real shitty thing you did to her. I didn't even make anyone cry when they tried to comfort me after I aged out and I was the biggest asshole after that happened to me." She clasped her hands on her hips and stared him down... well, up, as it were, considering he was far taller than she had anticipated.

Dirce L'van D'kellen D'ante V'ric Na'vi K'rios J'on
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Fali'vas Koda'vis Melangell Cataren Sianca Feraliss Yaranavexa Rathiran

Compendium | NPC Archive | Wanted Connections | Marks Tracker | Emporium

[ Threads Wanted ]

“It's better to write something, anything, than to starve the monster. The monster must feed. And it will feed on your soul if not your words. Its appetite is insatiable. Write to save yourself from the monster.”
― Don Roff ―
Lanni

Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:21 am

Within heartbeats of his turning away from Halimila, Laikanu’s guilt grew. Within seconds of his guilt the anger in his heart flickered to life once more. Around the quiet hiccups from his adopted sister, another feminine voice broke into the tension filled air. Spinning on his heel, Laikanu’s blue eyes sought out the source of the newest form of scolding. Confusion flickered across his face as he failed to find the female. A second string of scolding had the young man’s gaze flickering downward. His dark brows darted upward as he realized that the source was a lady even tinier than his Mila. A few steps backwards had Lai’s hackles starting to raise as the woman laid into him about his attack on Hali.

An asshole? Laikanu could feel his face flushing at the harsh words. It wasn’t something new for Lai to be labeled such a thing but that usually came in the heat of a fight. This… this wasn’t a fight though was it? It was the harsh and bitter truth coming from a stranger. Something that hit even harder than any fist, any punch or grapple. His blue eyes darkened then as he swallowed thickly. Raising a fist quickly, Lai tried to hide the bitter tears forming in his eyes. Using his forearm as a shield, the brunet did his best to gather his wits once more.

He could hear Mila moving to his side even before Tui chimed a soft greeting to the green rider. A gentle hand was placed on his free arm and his resolve crumbled at the soft touch. Letting his fist fall to his side once more, Laikanu glanced quickly at the petite woman before turning towards the other small woman at his side.

With his blue eyes swimming now with regretful tears, Lai took in Mila’s tear-streaked cheeks. In a whisper he called out to the brown eyed girl, “Oh Mia, I’m sorry.” His words were soft, barely louder than the hiccuped breath the weyrling managed to get out before the tall man pulled her in for an awkward hug. After tucking the green rider into his side, Laikanurinato lifted his head to take in the spitfire before them. “Thanks,” He muttered wondering why the woman saw it fit to jump on his case before the former candidate had a chance to realize his own actions. “Sounds like you’ve had to give that speech before,” Lai commented hoping to steer the confrontation towards safer grounds.

Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:35 pm

She lifted a shoulder, then nodded, confirming what he suspected her of even before she had the chance to put to words what she'd done in a physical manner. "Perhaps a time or two. Though more often than not, people are smart enough to craft at an age than risk disappointing themselves at the end of the line. They aren't of the dimglow variety like you and I are." She lifted her shoulders again, not afraid to call herself something like that, especially at this point in her life, because it had been so long ago. She had been one and would readily admit to it, because if she'd only seen reason, never mind that she'd only been a child, or even jumped on the platform at sixteen, she may have avoided the bitterness.

"I wasn't lying when I said you need to shape up. You still have use and purpose. Though I'm a bitter asshole now, you're what... newly aged out? You have time to find something to pull your mind away from everything before that bitterness takes root and shapes you into something like what I am. Volunteer for wher duty, I hear there are pearls, become a guard, take up duties in the kitchens, take up a craft on an unofficial-uncrafted level. I work in the kitchens as a cook now." It wasn't the most glamorous of work, it would never take her to a dragon which, most nights, left her even more angry - especially when she was tired and it had been a long day. But it was busy, and took her mind off of things most of the time.

"The thing is, don't let yourself sink when you still have room to swim. You say you don't have use to the Weyr? You're fucking kidding yourself. As long as you have two legs, two hands, and a whole head, you'll always have use to the Weyr." She was blunt, and honest, sometimes - most of the time - painfully so and she had no fear of being so. She would never regret the fact, and she had a feeling this man needed the blunt and honest truth pressed upon him.

Dirce L'van D'kellen D'ante V'ric Na'vi K'rios J'on

Fali'vas Koda'vis Melangell Cataren Sianca Feraliss Yaranavexa Rathiran

Compendium | NPC Archive | Wanted Connections | Marks Tracker | Emporium

[ Threads Wanted ]

“It's better to write something, anything, than to starve the monster. The monster must feed. And it will feed on your soul if not your words. Its appetite is insatiable. Write to save yourself from the monster.”
― Don Roff ―