We Who are Guided By Dragonkin { tag } LdyPayne / Iggharudube

Despite being new, this dining hall is very similar to the one back at old Atricis, giving a familiarity to the new Weyr. It is one large, central cavern carved out from the side of the cliff with many tables of varying sizes and seat numbers. The kitchens are attached, and there is a set of stairs leading down into the lower caverns.
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:41 am

It was a relief to know that they had taken care of some of the rogues. It just ached to know that others had been scattered rather than caught. A part of her genuinely wanted to go out and try and round the up herself, but would she honestly put her dragon at risk like that? She stabbed at her food and tossed down her napkin. No, as much as she wanted to see them pay for what had happened to her parents, she didn't want to see anything happen to her Sandalphonth.

"They are still out there, though." She stated, but they both knew that fact, it was painfully obvious to everyone involved, and she felt foolish for even saying it. "Eventually the dumb fuckers will make themselves heard again, no matter what they might have said to any of you. Then they'll be crushed into the ground properly, like they deserve to be, and the pelts of their felines will be yours."

She grimaced. "Or maybe... it's wrong to think I want those people gone. If I do that, I'm just as bad as they are for killing our people."
Dirce L'van D'kellen D'ante V'ric Na'vi K'rios J'on
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Fali'vas Koda'vis Melangell Cataren Sianca Feraliss Yaranavexa Rathiran

Compendium | NPC Archive | Wanted Connections | Marks Tracker | Emporium

[ Threads Wanted ]

“It's better to write something, anything, than to starve the monster. The monster must feed. And it will feed on your soul if not your words. Its appetite is insatiable. Write to save yourself from the monster.”
― Don Roff ―
LdyPayne

Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:46 am

"Hunting the rest of them down would definitely be something I wouldn't mind doing but to take the time from my Weyrhandler duties to go on the hunt may not be possible," Inggharudube responded. He had disappeared once before to track down an escape criminal who had been hiding out in Atricis and the money for that bounty was well work the time living in the jungle. If he felt there was a good enough price on the Rogues who trained the Felines he would take a Turn or more to track down the rest of them. "Perhaps after your graduate and free to run sweep patrols we can work together and see if any of the feline Rogues are still around. It would be useful to get a general area where they could be from the air and come nightfall Inggharusk could track them down by scent."

"I don't think it's wrong...they choose to attack our Wher and Daywher Handlers all out of fear we'll stumble across some mine they coveted. They were the aggressors and far as I am concerned we have every right to hunt them down for their crimes and exterminate those felines they trained." Inggharudube felt no guilt for wanting them dead and he certainly felt any who were close to those injured or killed by the Rogue and their trained Felines had every right to want to see justice done.
Ember

Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:05 pm

She hummed softly in response, agreeing with the thought, more so when she considered the implication behind it. The idea of what could have happened to her darling had she not found Dirce when she had was almost more than her heart could bear, but thankfully she was able to come to terms with the fact that nothing was wrong - it was just a thought, an unspoken idea; nothing behind it but suggestion and brain waves that juggled different matters within her skull. She put them to rest and reached for her cup. "That is one area in which whers out rule their larger cousins. They don't need to worry about the loss of life in the event of a match not being found. So Sandalphonth finding me... you're right. It could have been a tragedy had I not been in the sands when I was." She wouldn't discount that for a moment.

When he moved on with what he thought of the rogue feline handlers, she felt a little better with what he said about them, and how he seemed to soothe over her thoughts when it came to her feeling towards them. She wasn't ashamed about how she felt when it came to them, she never would be, never could be. Not when it was because of them that she and her brother and sisters had no parents. She picked at the rest of her food, finding she wasn't hungry anymore, but she wasn't exactly tired either. "Hopefully we never see a resurgence of them, though with the remaining folk out there, I doubt that can be a hope that will ever be fulfilled. I'm sure they will come back, in some form, at some point." She hated sounded so low about it, but she was certain even he would agree - the rogues would return, and she was positive he would be among the many that would face them.

[ Threads Wanted ]

“It's better to write something, anything, than to starve the monster. The monster must feed. And it will feed on your soul if not your words. Its appetite is insatiable. Write to save yourself from the monster.”
― Don Roff ―
LdyPayne

Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:09 pm

"It all comes down to the level of bond," Inggharudube returned, taking a drink from his mug. "Whers and Daywhers can manage without bonding, but not Whers want to live or even rebond when their Handler dies if the bond was very strong."

As eager as he was to hunt down the Rogues and their trained Felines Inggharudube doubted they would come anywhere near the Weyr. They knew how to deal with them now and wouldn't be fooled by random attacks into thinking it was just wild Felines. Without knowing how many Rogues remained alive and how many Felines they had, there was no telling whether they will try and strike back in the future. With the Pass in its last decade it wouldn't surprise Inggharudube once the Pass was over the Rogues will become a greater problem.

"They may not bother the Weyr now that we managed to drive them off for awhile but that doesn't mean they won't harass others," Inggharudube commented. "If they were wise they may bide their time till the Pass is nearly over then resume their attempt to control the mines they had tried to protect with those attacks. Then again if they had been smart they would have just worked the mine and only mount attacks if the Weyr discovered it."

Ember

Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:04 am

It was true, the rogues might not make any move at all, she had to admit that. She might be working herself up for no reason, and she felt kind of foolish for that. Then again, vigilance might be in her best favor, because as he was saying, the end of the Pass might be when they would wait to strike - a moment when the riders would least expect it, when they were attempting to relax after Turns of trying and fighting. It wouldn't be something they would anticipate, though perhaps the leadershp were keeping it in the backs of their minds on a "just in case" matter just... in case.

"Let's just hope that don't recruit before they make a resurgence. I used to live at Tillek, and I'd hear rumors of raider groups, both seafaring and otherwise, being tagged only to build numbers back up when no one was looking. They have ways, if even only a few manage to make it through a raid. I wouldn't want to see that happen here." Impressive, in some regards, as it would be, because as far as she was concerned, they sounded as though they'd been buried practically. "Though the way you've been speaking, the wher populace is ready for that. I suppose the dragons will be set to strike with their cousins as well. I know I will be."

Image x10
[ claimed ]

[ Threads Wanted ]

― Don Roff ―
LdyPayne

Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:29 am

Inggharudube knew nothing about Tillek save the basic information he was taught way back in Wherlinghood most of which he had forgotten. It was of no used to him to know the basic economics of Northern Holds when it was clear slavery wasn't something they practiced. If they had then it would be of more interest to him for he could always get back into the slave trade. But slaves were nearly exclusively a Walled Hold practice, something he felt was a great loss. It would be so beneficial if the Weyr and the other Holds made up mostly of Northerners and those who think like them to take up the practice. It would provide a means of punishment that was effective and would go a long way for criminals or the unwanted to pay back what they owe to society. It also gave a means for families struggling to survive to have a place for their children once they were old enough.

"There's a danger in tracking down Rogues but no greater than the danger of fighting Thread," Inggharudube stated. "But vigilence and careful planning will see to it we can win against such foes regardless of when they decide to strike again."

"Were you born in the North?" Inggharudube asked, moving back to address a comment the Zultaniterider said moments before.

Ember

Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:13 am

That made sense. It was going to take time, vigilance, she was going to have to be patient just like everyone else was going to have to be. She nodded after he spoke of the matter and decided she wouldn't be rash about the situation herself. She wanted her parents to have complete peace, but how would they be able to have that if she went out and got herself and Sandalphonth hurt in the process? Leave it, she told herself, to those that knew what they were doing. "Just do me something if you could, Inggharrudube... when that time comes, and the situation arises where they are gone after again... if you remember will you let me know? I would like to know, so that I might be able to keep better track of things." Perhaps he would forget, but maybe he would remember the request made to him by a then-weyrling, who was to say.

And maybe it was a good thing when the subject was changed, she thought almost ruefully, though it was a nice change. She smiled as she thought about her old home, which wasn't all that far away, in a sense. "I am from the North, yes. I'm Atrician born, actually. I came from the old Atricis, though my family moved to the Tillek region when I was still young. They were there when I walked the tables, and when I started working the seacraft in addition to my fishery work, but then i turned twenty-one and my parents made the decision to transfer to New Atricis because they missed their friends, they missed the people they had worked with for so long." She grew quiet for a moment and then the smile that had melted away returned. "They were proud of their Weyr."

She took a sip of her drink and thought of them before taking a second. "What of you, Inggharruduke? Where do you come from?" If they were sharing where they were from, wasn't it only fair that he came next? Though... "I don't expect you to share so much as I have though - I know you didn't ask for all of what I spilled out." She was just feeling nostalgic, and it had felt like... a moment to give a piece of her family back to someone that seemed willing to listen.

[ Threads Wanted ]

― Don Roff ―
LdyPayne

Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:23 pm

Inggharudube nodded when asked to remember to let Dirce know if the Rogues rose up again. It may be Turns to come but he'll remember her request or at least try to. He had a pretty good memory but it may be a long time before he could hunt down the Rogues and deal with them before they could do anywhere near as much damage to the Wher and their Handlers as they did this time. A part of him still felt if he had been allowed to investigate this sooner with a hand picked team many lives and time would have been saved. No point making a stink about it now but should a similar situation come up he won't wait for Leaders too slow up on the update to make the right decision.

"Hmm, the North would be an interesting place to visit." He had been in his late twenties when word spread about dragonriders appearing and not just any dragonriders but riders of beasts that hadn't been seen in the South for countless generations. By that time he had taken on a life as a bounty hunter which eventually led him to New Atricis and to his bronze wher.

"I was born and raised in Walled Hold in s family of Smithcrafters," Inggharudube responded. "I was in my late twenties when New Atricis was formed and I traveled here to see for myself the dragons of legend but it was the Whers that caught my attention. I still have family back at Walled but I don't communicate with them. As a male I am not all that important in their eyes. It's the way of our culture. As you can see I carved out my own path."

Ember

Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:36 am

"It is pretty interesting, depending on where you look. But I think that's how you feel after living there for so long. I tend to feel the South has so many more options when you think about it. There's still so much of it left unexplored. You have no idea what's left out there, who knows what we will find one day..." She lifted her shoulders, and chuckled. "Late night thoughts, funny how they can shape up, hm?"

She knew so little about Walled, which was a shame and something she might have to correct in the future if things turned out a certain way with Sandalphonth. But that was far into the future, and not something she needed to worry about just yet. Just something she should probably correct the closer she got to that point just to be on the safe side; better to be educated than not if fate decided it had plans for her.

"I'm glad you were able to carve your own path here, in a place where you can be appreciated, and with a bond beast that you can work with. I know only so much of Walled, but from what I'm aware of, it would seem as though you escaped from a location that wasn't exactly the brightest." She didn't know his situation, she didn't know Walled completely, she only knew from words and gossip of course. But that was enough to gather an opinion, wrong or not.

Image x5
[ claimed ]

[ Threads Wanted ]

― Don Roff ―
LdyPayne

Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:02 pm

There was plenty of unexplored space in the South, that much Inggharudube knew to be true. Thread didn't destroy the jungles, the lush green recovered quickly and thrived, something he had witnessed during the time he lived in the jungle. Once the Pass was over it wouldn't surprise him more and more people would start exploring to find new homes. He doubted he would live much into the new Interval, Inggharudube was no spring chicken and they still had nearly a decade to go.

"Given the new creatures that have been discovered recently, there definitely is plenty of South left unexplored, a task better suited to younger men once the Pass is over. Or a job for Dragonriders perhaps, who will no longer need to focus on protecting the Holds and Weyrs from Thread for centuries."

Inggharudube always felt there was a certain sordid reputation about Walled Hold most Northerners held. He didn't see Walled as a bad place. It had bad elements but didn't everywhere? Certainly currupt and jealous peoples, given the current rebellion going on but he had a good life at Walled, even after he lost his Slave business, destroyed by a rival which he in turn took vengeance on. He made good money as a bounty hunter even before he came to New Atricis. He enjoyed being a Wherhandler and Inggharusk was a perfect compliment to his personality and desire to make good money bringing in wanted criminals.

"Walled can be a harsh place to some but its culture has survived hundreds of years and it works for us," Inggharudube responded. "The current Mother had to deal with something completely unexpected and maybe she's not handling it right but in all honesty can you blame her? It's not right what she did to that Goldrider, I don't approve of that but in all honesty I understand why. Her power base was unraveling with the return of the Ancestral Dragons. So major change is coming but only time will tell if it's really for the better. Our way of life is completely strange for the Northerners just as their own is strange to us. I would love to see a merging of our two cultures because in all honesty I see benefits in both."

Inggharudube certainly hope the Northerners adopted slavery, it was a far better use of criminals and the unwanted than just dumping them off to be raised by the community or banished to become a problem later on. He knew his view of Slavery wouldn't be welcomed by most but he always considered his job as a Slave trainer and trader a good one. If it wasn't thriving it wouldn't have been attacked by a competitor. A jealous one in all honesty and one who paid the price for his actions in the long run.

Image x5
--claimined--