Bells and Tassels - M'ir | Marve

Despite being new, this dining hall is very similar to the one back at old Atricis, giving a familiarity to the new Weyr. It is one large, central cavern carved out from the side of the cliff with many tables of varying sizes and seat numbers. The kitchens are attached, and there is a set of stairs leading down into the lower caverns.
Shaihulud
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:32 am

Continuation from Here, Here!

"Thank you, I appreciate your admiration."

The man's initial response went better than A'rosius thought. Most strangers he dared to speak to normally brushed him off or disregarded him simply for the fact they thought him odd... or strange... The bluerider suspected it had something to do with the fact they did not know what he was, but A'rosius had come to know himself completely. He let them get away with their actions and discourtesies, if only because their unspoken ridicule would never dissuade him from continuing to be the man he was. However, A'rosius was pleased to see that would not be the case here in this conversation, no matter how brief it might be.

"Yes, it is in fact Walled attire. That is where I was born and lived until I moved here and Impressed. My rider title is M'ir of Brown Larixth. Of course, you can just call me M'ir, if you do not mind telling me your name in return."

A faint smile graced the bluerider's features, for the man's kindness validate A'rosius' character and identity. He gave a small nod in turn with the slightest dip of his shoulders, a courteous half bow for the brownrider. "I am A'rosius of blue Bowith," he replied. He regarded the brownrider with kind green eyes. "But you are right. Formalities are not truly necessary, especially in a weyr. My friends, call me Ambr." A glance was passed about the room once more, noting where his family stood. Inez took the centre of the room with Rhianwen, while Mul'rec conversed with Sid'nis on the side of the activity. It saddened the bluerider, opening old wounds, but he would not let them show today no matter how much they bled. "I've only just transferred here from Benden Weyr with my family in the last day or so. Don't ask me how many though... it's been quite the ordeal, and all the days seemed to have blended together." He offered the slightest chuckle, trying his best to make light of the trauma inflicted upon his family over the last sevenday.
Marvealle
Site Admin
Title: Foxy Prince
Pronouns: Any

Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:31 pm

While M'ir couldn't quite figure out from the rider's name their gender, he decided it didn't truly matter, at least not for him. He wasn't going to come out and ask, for that would be extremely rude, but he also wasn't going to continue to be any less kind to them, especially when they gave M'ir their nickname, even if he didn't feel he was one of those allowed to use such a nickname quite yet. He did not to show he took in the information though, taking a sip from his drink as A'rosius glanced around before speaking again. Immediately, M'ire was told why he didn't outright recognize the bluerider, and he nodded, chuckling in return to the attempt at lightness, nodding once more.

"I can understand that to at least some degree. My moving here from Walled had been quite a blur of days." Of course, like A'rosius, M'ir didn't say exactly why. It was his own memory to not burden others with, and as they were at a feast, it was no such place for saddened memories.

"Welcome to New Atricis Weyr, by the way, A'rosius. I hope you and your family can find a fine life here. I personally have found that New Atricis Weyr to be a fair place for new beginnings. I have quite fallen for the place since I first arrived here." After a moment, he realized they were still standing near the drinks as someone came by to get themselves something. After they left, M'ir gestured a lightly jingling hand toward some seating.

"Perhaps you would like to sit? Rest your feet? Assuming you would continue to have my company, of course."
Atricis: Next Generation
~..:: Character & Thread Tracker | Marks Tracker ::..~
Nali ..::||::.. K'rin ..::||::.. M'ir ..::||::.. Raevin ..::||::.. Inakil ..::||::.. Elias ..::||::.. Sterling ..::||::.. Lolena'vas ..::||::.. Rey'vas
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Shaihulud

Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:06 pm

"I can understand that to at least some degree. My moving here from Walled had been quite a blur of days."

A'rosius could certainly understand M'ir's sentiments. Since his own arrival to Atricis, the bluerider's days had hemmed together, making it difficult to discern where one day ended and the other began. The amalgamation of memories formed one, long continuous day over the stretch of a week, leaving him exhausted everytime he dared to think on it. At least they were all in New Atricis together, A'rosius thought with a glance cast briefly at Inez and Rhianwen.

"Welcome to New Atricis Weyr, by the way, A'rosius. I hope you and your family can find a fine life here. I personally have found that New Atricis Weyr to be a fair place for new beginnings. I have quite fallen for the place since I first arrived here."

"Thank you. I am certain we will." After all, A'rosius had managed before, and had even dared to mate a man and give him a child during his previous time in Atricis. The memory was bittersweet, one he realised he needed to set aside for the meantime. Now was not the time to linger on open wounds.

A person approached the table, and A'rosius knew his manners well enough to mind them and step out of the way.

"Perhaps you would like to sit? Rest your feet? Assuming you would continue to have my company, of course."

He blinked several times at the man, not knowing exactly what to say. He certainly had not expected the offer, but then again he supposed the man was in need of someone to speak to, much like A'rosius, if the bluerider was honest with himself. "Oh, well-" he cut himself off with a glance at Inez, to affirm to himself once again she was safe "-I don't see why not." He made a glance at the table M'ir motioned to, and accepted the offer with a step in that general direction. "To be honest, I lived here some time ago. It is different from what I remember, and yet so much of it somehow seems the same." Bright eyes noted the decorum, the food, the music, the attire. "The feasts are certainly lavishing, though they always did have that bit flare to them, even when I was a candidate."
Marvealle
Site Admin

Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:32 am

(I am sorry for the super lateness, I didn't even see you'd replied here, which is my oversight.)

M’ir’s gentle smile increased a bit when A’rosius accepted the offer, even if he had seemed a little unsure at first. M’ir would keep an eye on him, if he continued to seem unsure or show signs of unwillingness to continue to socialize with him, he would do his best to take care of it or end their time. For now, he moved with A’rosius toward the table, and even pulled out and gestured to a chair for A’rosius before taking his own. He sat delicately, crossing one leg over his knee, causing his clothes and ankles to jingle with the accessories of his outfit.

”Ah, then I shall amend my welcome to ‘welcome back,’” he said with another kind smile as he seated himself. ”I can agree with that sentiment. I must say I enjoy the lavish nature of these feasts. They remind me a bit of where I spent my young adulthood prior to New Atricis Weyr. It makes me feel strangely at home, as well as gives me a fine excuse to wear my finer clothing that made it here to the Weyr with me.” He chuckled.

”So how long ago was it that you lived here before? Did you Impress here or elsewhere, if you do not mind answering, of course.”
Nali ..::||::.. K'rin ..::||::.. M'ir ..::||::.. Raevin ..::||::.. Inakil ..::||::.. Elias ..::||::.. Sterling ..::||::.. Lolena'vas ..::||::.. Rey'vas
Shaihulud

Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:20 am

Yes, the amendment was far more accurate and much appreciated by the bluerider, for A'rosius had never been one for redundancy. Why say "welcome" to a place once called home? he thought in amusement, only to feel the corner of his mouth fall ever so slightly at the reality Atricis would have to become his home once again. Once more, the anxiety of his former family and former lover bore heavily upon him until he managed to alleviate his concerns with a deep breath and a final sip of his favourite wine. It had a faint taste of vinegar. What a shame.

”So how long ago was it that you lived here before? Did you Impress here or elsewhere, if you do not mind answering, of course.”

A'rosius was in the process of deliberating how the wineskin has soured his drink. Likely, a careless individual along the leg of its travels had left it out in the heat. "Oh, well... some time ago..." after his separation from Sid'nis. Though really, A'rosius was not one to delve into personal details with a stranger. "I believe about five turns ago, though yes, I did Impress here to my blue Bowith." He offered the softest smile at the memory.

Bowith reached back to him in turn. You know, I was hoping for someone a little bit more adventurous, the blue teased his rider.

What, travelling to Benden, angering Lord Holders, and rescuing Ladies were not adventurous enough for you?

Hardly. Those are the sort of things every dragon does. I was thinking more along the lines of spontaneity.

Ah, but spontaneity and adventure are hardly one in the same. While I certainly feel confident in believing I satisfied your itch for adventure, I leave the spontaneity to you, my good friend. But where were A'rosius' manners? He had company. "My apologies, Bowith has a way of stealing my attentions from time to time. He easily makes the mind wander. In regards to yourself, you Impressed here you said. Were you searched? Or were you part of the original Walled candidates who volunteered to stand on our sands?"
Marvealle
Site Admin

Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:52 pm

M'ir was certainly no one gifted with a heightened sense of empathy to be able to just pick out the emotions of another from the air. However, he was thoroughly trained in observation of people, and with his tendency to give a person his full attention, it was quite easy to notice the fall of the corner of the bluerider's mouth, and how he took in a breath before taking another sip of his wine. Surely, there was something bothering him, something that chewed at his mind perhaps. Still, he answered the questions, and M'ir offered a smile in return as A'rosius seemed to remember Impressing his dragon. M'ir couldn't help to do the same for a moment, feeling Larixth reach out to him mentally for that moment.

M'ir definitely noticed the signs of a rider bespeaking their dragon, and so he politely let them converse. When A'rosius returned to their moment in the dining hall, M'ir smiled and wave an elegant hand in a dismissive manner.

"No apologies needed, I quite understand." However, the questions asked of him brought up his own shameful memories of the past. He wished he could say he had volunteered to Stand for unselfish reasons... but alas, those had been the decisions of a different version of who he was now.

"I almost wish either of those had been the case, but no, I came here on my own from Walled, independently from candidacy. After being here for a little while I petitioned the Leaders and Masters to join dragon candidacy. I must admit, my reasons were misguided and selfish at the time, based on Walled legends more than facts." He couldn't help but avert his gaze a moment, glancing down and taking a sip of his drink to give himself a moment. "However, Larixth saw me worthy despite my selfishness, and I have learned much at his side."
Shaihulud

Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:43 pm

"No apologies needed, I quite understand."

Quite. The word itself held a precarious place with A'rosius, for the word had fashioned itself with several contradictory meanings that varied from culture to culture. In his youth, A'rosius had learned "quite" where he had come from in the mountains of Nabol to mean "somewhat". In of itself, the speakers tone reflected the degree of "somewhat", varying from a measure of pleasant surprise, such as when an individual found more enjoyment out of an event or subject that exceeded their expectations, thus making it border on pleasurable; to indifference, when something could be considered good, but only somewhat, as originally expected; to outright disappointment, such as when something was good, but only somewhat in comparison to what the speaker anticipated. However, in all regards, "quite" in the mountains of Nabol failed to carry the same meaning as it did in other parts of Pern, which A'rosius soon learned during his time with the traders. In places like Atricis, for example, "quite" meant "very", therefore becoming a term that always emphasises its extreme goodness, regardless of expectation. Therefore, it lacked the Nabolese interpretations of indifference or disappointment, and there was also little room for pleasant surprise; instead, the Atrician "quite" expressed a sheer magnanimity of exceeding approval.

Of course, Nabol was not alone in their interpretation of the word "quite", but neither was Atricis.

So where did M'ir's interpretation of the word fall? Did he merely "somewhat" understand? Or did he attempt to convey that he "verily" understood? Since A'rosius decided not to ask for clarification, he supposed he would never know.

"I almost wish either of those had been the case, but no, I came here on my own from Walled, independently from candidacy. After being here for a little while I petitioned the Leaders and Masters to join dragon candidacy. I must admit, my reasons were misguided and selfish at the time, based on Walled legends more than facts. However, Larixth saw me worthy despite my selfishness, and I have learned much at his side."

"Walled legends?" A'rosius asked in surprise. How could a legend make one selfish? Perhaps curious, though that was hardly of selfish intention, was it not? "My apologies, for I am not familiar with Walled culture as I should be." One might even consider him quite ignorant on the matter.
Marvealle
Site Admin

Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:48 pm

There was much going on beneath the surface, M'ir could see that. Perhaps a sharp mind always working, always thinking and taking in everything. He could understand that, not that he considered himself sharp of mind, but he understood the tendency to take in every detail and subtle change. It was how he could see when A'rosius thought to himself on something or another.

M'ir's expression loosened from its smile for a bit, almost looking a bit surprised before his smile returned and he nodded in understanding.

"Of course, not everyone is. I imagine that is even more so for you since having spent much of your time in the North until recently." Finally, his glass was deposited on the table between them, empty save for a trace of the wine he had been drinking. The bangles on his wrist jingled together with his movements as he brushed some of his long hair from his face and tucked it behind an ear.

"Perhaps the easiest way to give clarification would be to explain that with the Golds and Bronzes gone from our culture, it was taught and believed that the Golds and Bronzes were divine beings. Perhaps similar to Gods, if you will, and their riders were their specially chosen divine messengers. I believed much the same myself coming here, and after some time within the Weyr, when I learned I was of age to stand, I joined candidacy with the intent on learning the divine secrets a Bronze could give to me." Here, as if embarrassed, he reached to his glass, remembering it to be empty and leaving it on the table again before clearing his throat a little.

"Since being with Larixth for as long as we have been together, however, I've learned that not everything I believed was true, and that my motivations were quite misguided. I think I may have been lucky that Larixth chose me despite my selfishness."

Shaihulud

Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:31 pm

"Perhaps the easiest way to give clarification would be to explain that with the Golds and Bronzes gone from our culture, it was taught and believed that the Golds and Bronzes were divine beings. Perhaps similar to Gods, if you will, and their riders were their specially chosen divine messengers. I believed much the same myself coming here, and after some time within the Weyr, when I learned I was of age to stand, I joined candidacy with the intent on learning the divine secrets a Bronze could give to me."

Divine beings? Gods? A'rosius had heard such terms before, more so from philosophical works of literature that attempted to understand matters of fortune, chaos, and miracles, but never had he heard the terms in such a religious sense. In fact matters of religion were lost entirely on A'rosius, for he had grown up in a world that thrived entirely without it. If anything, the idea of Gods, or powers that be, seemed far more fanciful than actual, for how could something of that magnitude exist without anyone ever bearing witness to it?

"Since being with Larixth for as long as we have been together, however, I've learned that not everything I believed was true, and that my motivations were quite misguided. I think I may have been lucky that Larixth chose me despite my selfishness."

A'rosius refrained from stating the obvious, that of course those legends were nonsense, but he did his best not to judge this man. After all, he was not the sort who could judge anyone considering his own circumstances that very few understood. "Well, I would not necessarily call that selfish." Misguided, perhaps, he quietly thought. "We view the world as we were raised to see it. Therefore, I do not think it fair to consider oneself selfish due to a simple misunderstanding. Perhaps curious might be a better word." It was also far less self-disparaging.

Marvealle
Site Admin

Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:32 am

When A'rosius responded, offering a kinder word to explain M'ir's motivations to Impress, he smiled kindly, a sense of appreciation for such kindness coming to his eyes. He hadn't truly expected the other to understand what he had spoken of, he knew the cultures were vastly different and had had his own struggles with New Atricis' culture when he had arrived and had to adjust. So the kindness he perceived was appreciated, and he nodded.

"That's very kind," he admitted openly. "Perhaps curiosity is a better description. After all, I do believe that while many enter candidacy for different reasons, curiosity is perhaps the near universal motivator. I think many truly are curious about the bond between dragon and rider. I can admit that I was among one of them, even if I had different expectations in the beginning." He chuckled softly.

"However, I am infinitely curious of your own motivations for Impression, if you do not mind sharing. If you'd rather not, perhaps you could tell me a little about yourself or your dragon." He shifted in his seat to get a little more comfortable, causing his perhaps over-the-top attire to jingle slightly again.