A Mischief of Riders | Ao'mek - Parker

Despite being new, this dining hall is very similar to the one back at old Atricis, giving a familiarity to the new Weyr. It is one large, central cavern carved out from the side of the cliff with many tables of varying sizes and seat numbers. The kitchens are attached, and there is a set of stairs leading down into the lower caverns.
Shaihulud
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:53 am

If Ao'mek suspected Solai was goading him into taking a side politically, his suspicions would soon be confirmed.

The frustration grew apparent as her green autumn gaze darkened with the furrow of her brow, for his way of dismissal frustrated her to no end. Of course, she did remember that he came from a place of privilege, so perhaps it was easier for him dismiss the wrongdoings of his home when he likely benefitted from them at some point, if he did not benefit from them still. All of this coming from a man of Walled, who so flippantly threw the trials of his gender in a northern woman's face.

"So you refuse to take a stance on the fact your people practice slavery?" she asked with the blunt force of a bat. Her voice was no longer kind and understanding, and it had become distinctly audible for the tables around them. "You expect me to be sympathetic to your plights as a man, but you want to disregard the plight of slaves entirely? That's a bit hypocritical, don't you think?"

Careful, Solai. You do not know him, Tyreth warned.

I can't believe he takes a stance of silence, and argues from a point of false equivalency, Solai's mind screamed back. Yes we have problems, yes we have drudgery, but we don't fucking brand and sell people! And in a weyr, people are drudges by choice!

Still, Solai, you need to be careful. If he sympathises with the slavers, he cannot know what you've done.

Tyreth was right, which only pained the greenrider to realise her friend might actually be an enemy. If he could not confirm his stance against it, for the sake of herself, Mul'rec and the slaves of Walled, she had to assume Ao'mek was against her.
Parker
Site Admin
Title: High Ebilness
Pronouns: He/Him

Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:26 am

Ao'mek was feeling rather attacked at the moment. For a man that didn't like confrontation and tried to avoid it at most costs, he was rather uncomfortable. "I didn't say I outright refuse to take a stance on slavery. Do I like it? No, of course I don't." He wasn't a monster, but he also wasn't the sort to take a stance if he didn't have to. Was it a bit spineless of him? Yes, and he acknowledged that, but at the moment he wasn't at a point in his life where he wanted to change it either.

"I never asked for your sympathy either. I was simply making a comment." Solai was young, so he wasn't totally surprised by her fiery attitude, especially towards something she was so obviously passionate about. He'd have to remember to not bring up such hot topic items around her again...if there was an again. At this point he wasn't sure if she'd just wipe her hands of him or not.

"Look, can we change the conversation? This is a night for fun and celebration." Ao'mek asked.
Image Image Image Image Image
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Car'vis and Corentivis | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

.::..::..::..::..::..
PC Character Tracker | Marks Tracker | NPC Stash
Shaihulud

Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:35 am

Angry? She was practically seething at the very thought that Ao'mek my support the slavers of Walled. Yet even after he assured that he did not, the greenrider's blood already boiled from the adrenaline of hostility that coursed through her.

"I didn't say I outright refuse to take a stance on slavery. Do I like it? No, of course I don't."

"Well you should take more of one!" she snapped back. Every day, Solai risked her life so men like him could grow a spine and stand up for what was right.

"I never asked for your sympathy either. I was simply making a comment."

Solai stood to her feet in agitation. "That's a bunch of shite, and you know it," she growled back. The first day they met, he rubbed the gender inequality of Walled in her face. He had shown himself capable of taking a stance then, though it was easy to gripe about the snags in one's own life, rather than face the horrors that plagued the lives of others.

"Look, can we change the conversation? This is a night for fun and celebration."

"No!" she responded with a heavy measure of incredulity. "And why should you be able to? They are your people, and you should be fighting for them with the rest of us. I can't believe you can just sit there like it doesn't matter. Yo-" Before she could say another word, she felt a firm hand wrap around her arm and yank her to face her new oppressor.

Mul'rec narrowed his bronze eyes on the greenrider. "Enough, Solai!" he hissed at her. Only briefly was the woman startled to silence. In that brief moment of recovery, she saw the way his eyes darted about the feast before fastening upon her once again. "This is a feast. And you will enjoy it. No more talk of slaves and justice tonight."

She ripped herself out of her grasp, and spat at his feet. "Fuck you!"

Mul'rec would not be ignored, or disrespected. Instead, he stepped to her once again, grabbing her arm with more force than before. When he whispered into her ear, the angered features of her countenance fell. Whatever he spoke was enough to make the greenrider visibly pale before Ao'mek. Yet even in a state of distress, she pushed the man away from her, eyeing him with a keen look of hurt... only to give a glance of betrayal to Ao'mek.

She departed without a word, and slowly, the conversations resumed around them.

Mul'rec eased into the seat next to the bluerider, effectively replacing Solai, while Scarletto was replaced with a dual toned gold firelizard. "My apologies for my niece. She often lets her passions get the best of her." He offered a hand out to the man, a peace offering. "My name is Mul'rec, Envoy of Atricis Weyr and Evanoria Weyrhold, and rider of brown Galuth."
Parker
Site Admin

Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:09 pm

Ao'mek had no idea how to deal with the amount of venom and anger that was coming from his new friend. He just wanted to have a good night, full of comradery and fun. This was not at all what he had been expecting...or looking forward to. It didn't really bother him that Solai's raised voice was causing a bit of a scene either. He'd never cared what other people thought, but he was concerned that whatever blooming friendship he'd been developing with the young woman was now irrevocably shattered. He wasn't even sure where to begin to try and mend things between them without merely agreeing with everything she said, but luckily a savior in the form of a man he didn't know showed up.

Obviously, the man knew Solai very well with the way the two interacted with each other. He had some gumption, but not even he would be so bold to tell a brownrider 'fuck you'. He had no idea what the man said to her then, but whatever it was it worked. Though, the way she paled made him slightly concerned. When she walked away, casting that glance at him, all he could do was give her a look of apology back. Maybe later, when things weren't so heated...he would find her and tell her he was sorry.

"My apologies for my niece. She often lets her passions get the best of her." He offered a hand out to the man, a peace offering. "My name is Mul'rec, Envoy of Atricis Weyr and Evanoria Weyrhold, and rider of brown Galuth."

Ao'mek stood and shook the man's hand. He had looked to be someone of importance, so the title of 'envoy' did not surprise him. "Ao'mek, rider of blue Tlamehath." So he was her uncle, no wonder they spoke so informally to each other. "No, it's alright. I just...I feel bad. It was never my intention to make her angry. It's not a bad thing to be so passionate about something, but I must admit that I am rather glad you shown up when you did."
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Car'vis and Corentivis | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

Shaihulud

Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:26 pm

"Ao'mek, rider of blue Tlamehath."

Mul'rec gave his hand a firm, respectable shake.

"No, it's alright. I just...I feel bad. It was never my intention to make her angry. It's not a bad thing to be so passionate about something, but I must admit that I am rather glad you shown up when you did."

"I am glad as well," agreed the brownrider. He had caught the tail end of Solai's remark before his intervention, "you should be fighting for them with the rest of us." Even now, Mul'rec wondered if Ao'mek had caught her remark in the heat of the moment, or if her fierce demeanour had overwhelmed him too much to notice. He prayed for the first, and worried about the latter. "As the daughter of a former Weyrleader and Weyrwoman, and as the niece of an Envoy and Weyrholder, she should know better. Diplomacy is imperative between Walled and Atricis, especially now." Ao'mek would know what he meant by that last part especially, or so Mul'rec assumed. After the death of Sonia and her gold, relations between Atricis and Walled had become strained at best, devastated at worst. "Forgive me for prying, but as an Envoy, I must know what she told you. It is my job to prevent any sort of... incident... between our two factions." He slid the plate of food over to the man, hoping the taste of warmth would ease whatever upset the bluerider might have felt.
Parker
Site Admin

Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:47 pm

"As the daughter of a former Weyrleader and Weyrwoman, and as the niece of an Envoy and Weyrholder, she should know better. Diplomacy is imperative between Walled and Atricis, especially now."

Ao'mek nodded in understanding. Ever since the death of Walled's only gold and her rider by means of what could only be nefarious actions, things had been more than uneasy. He didn't live in his native home anymore, but he tried to keep updated on what was going on. Granted, his information was quite one-sided as most of the people he still spoke to were old friends of the Legion. "She's young, passionate, but...yeah...I see you're point. I might be from Walled, but I am an Atricis rider. I even impressed my blue here." He clarified just in case the enjoy was worried about him specifically.

"Forgive me for prying, but as an Envoy, I must know what she told you. It is my job to prevent any sort of... incident... between our two factions."

"No, it's fine, but as I said...I'm an Atricis rider. I'm certainly not going to cause an incident from this." He assured him. "Um...she basically just called me a hypocrite for not taking a stand for my people." That was the gist of what he'd garnered from her angrily spoken words. "I'm afraid I'm not the best at confrontation."
Image Image Image Image

Shaihulud

Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:05 pm

"No, it's fine, but as I said...I'm an Atricis rider. I'm certainly not going to cause an incident from this. Um...she basically just called me a hypocrite for not taking a stand for my people. I'm afraid I'm not the best at confrontation."

Mul'rec was relieved to hear that no incident would arise as a result of his niece's vocal passions, though part of him made sure to treat the man as suspect. "No, and it might be for the best to avoid them. I can assure you, the Mother is not an individual you would ever want to cross." After his own confrontation with the woman that nearly resulted in an early expiration, Mul'rec always kept his guard. No doubt the single attempt would not be a single occurrence, and it was only a matter of time before she made the attempt again. For this reason, the brownrider kept himself well armed. He leaned back in the seat and crossed his arms. All the while, Sabren watched Ao'mek with a steady gaze. "It must not have felt good to be called a hypocrite either. Once again, my apologies. I'll be sure to speak with her later about her manners. We are human beings after all. Even if we disagree, that fact will never change. It is imperative that it doesn't."

The brownrider made a glance about, but it seemed the people had returned to their conversations, remaining utterly oblivious of the recent confrontation. Mul'rec never ceased to be amazed at the willingness of a person to avoid conflict. The thought earned the gentle bluerider a smile.
Parker
Site Admin

Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:52 pm

"No, and it might be for the best to avoid them. I can assure you, the Mother is not an individual you would ever want to cross."

"No, I know. Not directly, of course, a lowly bluerider like me never gained enough importance to be in her presence, but I'm a Legionnaire. All of her displeasure and such would roll down through the ranks. Those above us always took it out on the Munifex. I never could understand why they did that until I became a Heraldur, but even then...no excuse." Ao'mek was not a fan of the mother, but he also wasn't one to speak out against her in Walled. He'd seen enough people in the Legion punished for that and he never cared to be one of them.

"It must not have felt good to be called a hypocrite either. Once again, my apologies. I'll be sure to speak with her later about her manners. We are human beings after all. Even if we disagree, that fact will never change. It is imperative that it doesn't."

"Really, you don't have apologize. I've been called worse before." Ao'mek said again, hoping to assure the man that he wasn't upset...at least not in typical way. He was very upset that he had angered his friend so much. "I didn't mean to upset her like that. She asked a difficult question and I answered as honestly as I could. If you see her later, would you mind telling her that I am sorry?" He asked, figuring that her uncle would see her before he did.
Image Image Image Image

Shaihulud

Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:59 pm

"No, I know. Not directly, of course, a lowly bluerider like me never gained enough importance to be in her presence, but I'm a Legionnaire. All of her displeasure and such would roll down through the ranks. Those above us always took it out on the Munifex. I never could understand why they did that until I became a Heraldur, but even then...no excuse."

Mul'rec was surprised by the man's rank. Privately, he thought it a shame the man took such a conceding stance on the matter. Otherwise, Mul'rec would have put him to good use. Another part of him understood Solai's frustrations on the matter, though the brownrider was far too clever to show any indication of his stance or judgement.

"I didn't mean to upset her like that. She asked a difficult question and I answered as honestly as I could. If you see her later, would you mind telling her that I am sorry?"

"I will, though I can assure you that you will have the chance to tell her yourself. She was in the wrong, and given time she will recognise that fact. In the meantime-" the brownrider stood to his feet, and straightened out his jacket "-I suggest you savour the peace and enjoy the feast. Don't let one greenrider sour it all for you." He glanced about the hall and noted the patrons in attendance, and even spared a glance towards Sid'nis whom he would soon return to. He reached into his purse and procured several coins. "Here, some marks for your troubles. Enjoy a good vintage. You've earned it tonight."
Parker
Site Admin

Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:44 pm

"I will, though I can assure you that you will have the chance to tell her yourself. She was in the wrong, and given time she will recognise that fact. In the meantime-"

Ao'mek nodded, though a sad look was on his expressive face. "I hope you are right. I really like Solai." There wasn't much that bothered him, but losing a friend was most certainly on the top of that list. Losing a friend was a form of dejection in a sense....and that was the worst thing in his book. When Mul'rec stood, he stood as well out of respect.

"-I suggest you savour the peace and enjoy the feast. Don't let one greenrider sour it all for you. Here, some marks for your troubles. Enjoy a good vintage. You've earned it tonight."

"Oh no, no...I can't accept these. It's fine." He insisted and handed the marks back. "I'll try to not worry about her and have a good time, but I can't take your money. This was just a squabble among friends. Hearing you say that she'll come around that's enough for me. Really." He picked up his wine glass then and took a sip. "Thank you again, Envoy. I really appreciate your help."
Image Image Image Image